Gabapentin for Occipital Neuralgia — Should I Try It? Can It Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by garywi, Apr 30, 2023.

1. garywi

garywi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Guys. I've had tinnitus for over 5 years. I have periodic flare-ups where the ringing is loud but then goes back down after a few weeks. I feel fortunate considering the stories I read on this board.

In the last year I developed occipital neuralgia and the neurologist wants me to try Gabapentin.

I have been on antidepressants for 30 years and was on Gabapentin for a while. It was a few months after I stopped Gabapentin that I developed tinnitus.

I have no hearing loss. I feel messed up due to all the meds over the years. Do you think I should get on Gabapentin again?

2. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, but next time try to not come off of it cold turkey but doing a slow tapering the same way people do with benzos.

If anything, Gabapentin will only improve your tinnitus while on it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Gabapentin had absolutely zero effect on my tinnitus, but also didn’t really work for the pain. I found Pregabalin much more effective.

Suppose you have to weigh up the risk of taking the med vs. the impact the nerve pain is having on your life and try to figure out if it’s worth it. For me personally, with the level of pain I’m in, it was a bit of a no brainier.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      What kind of nerve pain do you experience?

5. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Lots of different opinions. I have really bad sciatica that I’ve had for years that goes right down to my foot when it gets bad. This is on top of this new pain in my pelvis caused from an infection I got after IUD removal. I’m still undergoing tests, but from the pain distribution I’m guessing femoral/genitofemoral nerve is involved, possibly ilioinguinal nerve too. They want me to get an MRI, but obviously, my ears are an issue...

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      I have a prescription that I am hesitant to take. My tinnitus is more of a hissing sound and it seems like anything I take increases the hissing, which is frustrating. Lorazepam doesn't have that effect, but I don't want to rely on benzodiazepines all the time. I really like Hydroxyzine. It helps me sleep and calms me down, but it worsens my tinnitus on bad days. I would need Gabapentin for sleep, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

7. mrpetrov

mrpetrov Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      110 dB concert
      I take 200 mg Gabapentin when I really need to sleep, probably once every couple of weeks. It’s great, puts me down for the night. I haven’t noticed any impact on my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    8. ellees

ellees Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI medication
      @garywi, did you end up trying Gabapentin? How did it go?