GE Silent Scan MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gio Makyo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Not necessarily. Many MS patients are stabilized, so there are no new symptoms. Symptoms remaining the same would not indicate a contrast issue.

So far, I have had at least eight MRIs over the past decade.

2. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      If I were worried about metal toxicity, I'd look for an open-minded doctor who understands that such things are real and who can treat the problem. Hopefully the doctor can set your mind at rest.

3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I might do a blood test or urine to determine if it's still in my body.

4. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello everyone, I could really use some advice.

So I need to get an extensive upper abdominal MRI done, no way around it. Now I am totally lost in researching different devices endlessly... with absolutely no idea which one would be the quietest, yet provide high quality images. The options around where I live seem to be:

• GE Signa Explorer 1.5T: cheapest, easiest option in many ways
      • Toshiba Vantage 1.5T: very expensive, need to travel to another city, but would it be worth it?
      • Siemens Skyra 3T: apparently more accurate because of 3T and more 'open', as costly as Toshiba above
      • Still finding out more... which models should I look for?

Which MRI is actually the quietest, while still trustworthy in the imaging accuracy
      ? And which MRI devices should I absolutely avoid? Please, let me know anything. Especially if you have experience on this matter. I hate how the manufacturers just throw in dB numbers that may be manipulated, being based on silent sequences and then the actual reality being much louder.

I think Toshiba Vantage 1.5T is considered quiet in former topics about this, but it is up to 3x more costly than for example the GE mentioned. And I could get the whole scan for free from public health care, but they haven't yet answered my questions about models they use... prolly some type of Siemens T3.

In addition I have purchased these Howard Leight Thunder T1 earmuffs, as @Rubenslash recommended them in an older topic. Can someone confirm they are absolutely safe for MRI usage? I can't find any official info confirming they are 100 % suitable.

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Did you already have blood work and an upper abdominal ultrasound? I would question your doctor for reason of a MRI if you haven't received bloodwork and ultrasound first. You won't hear sounds above whisper level with an ultrasound - with use of noise blocking headphone nothing.

https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=abdominus

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes, that is why I am referred for MRI as there were tumors in my abdominal ultrasound and they need to be examined further. Really scary for many reasons, so I really don't want to add worrying about T on top of it. Hopefully I'll find MRI that will be safe to use, counting on people here maybe knowing what to do.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    7. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First find out location of MRI procedure, then if a hospital call their medical compliance office or their bio-med department to find manufacturer and model of machines used.

Also every manufacturer has lists of their equipment being used with model, year and if any software changes has been made.

Sometimes MRIs - non hospital are going to use older models where they were purchased on the secondary market that were once used by a hospital before upgrading.

Pianissimo made by Cannon was my choice and it was soft with headphones. There were no noise peaks.

Most facilities in the USA won't let one use their own earphones.

• Informative Informative x 3
    8. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you @Greg Sacramento for the information. I haven't found Pianissimo in my area, but will keep looking. Apparently the noise level depends on which scan is made and I've been told this extensive abdominal scan is 'one of the loudest'.

Furthermore, does anyone have experience with Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T? This is the one I would get from public health care (free of charge) and would have the scan as soon as next Monday... I have no idea if it is actually quiet, though? At least it is a newer model with "Quiet Suite" technology and Siemens claims that "Advanced noise reduction technologies are present on all MAGNETOM® scanners". Any opinions?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      On one of their websites, decibels range from 72 to 91 depending on procedure. This site also has videos per procedure that provide comfort features. The videos provide actual sound levels so I rather not post the link.

If the sound information that they provide is accurate, then their models are comparative to most other silent MRI manufacturers.

I would bring your own headphones and earplugs. If you are not allowed to use your headphones, then request some from them.

I hope that everything with your condition turns out OK. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Why wouldn't it be safe? I used them for my MRI.

• Like Like x 1
    11. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh, okay, good to know - I didn't know you had worn them yourself.

Won't be able to use them, though. Going for the "Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T". Called the place today and was told only a head muffs given by them is allowed. No idea why and makes me even more nervous. Will be bringing my own 35 NRR plugs, though.

12. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      UPDATE:
      There was a cancellation so a free time slot appeared and I had my MRI done today with Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T. I had 35 dB foam plugs and then the headset which the staff gave me (which also enabled me to get "hold your breath" type of instructions from them). Anyway, it went so much better than expected! The machine seemed very modern: spacious, open from both ends and comfortable. I was surprised that most of the time it made no noise: just some ticking and beeps, like a robot. The noisier phases did not take long at all and were perfectly tolerable with the hearing protection I used. All sound was intermittent anyway, so zero notably long loud sequences or crazy bomb-like bursts either. I was fearing for something like that and feel a bit silly (but happy) now. I actually did not fear at all that the noise level would be hurting my ears. A positive experience all around and happy I did not put my money into private services for nothing.

Oh and I recommend everyone who is a nervous wreck to ask for premedication to allow calm experience. I had 5 mg diazepam before my exam and it was definitely needed as I was in utter panic. Allowed me to stay rational and adapt into the situation without unnecessary mental anguish.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      How can one find a silent mri?

14. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi,

I live in Stockholm and have been unsuccesful in my search for a silent MRI. Do you want to share the hospital/city/region where the Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T is? (I see that you also live in Northern Europe)

15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know this is an old thread, but what were the huge foam cushions that you used? Did they help much?

Does the Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T have pianissimo technology?

16. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home

I had a brain and neck MRI today using the silent scan. IT WAS NOT SILENT. That name is a monomer. It should be called reduced sound, but most scan sequences were well above 4 decibles over ambient sound. Some were very loud and I was wearing ear plugs along with having them pack the side of my head and ear area with padding to further block the sounds. I don't know how GE can get away with such blatant false advertising.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      I wanted to ask you @NimQ, how was there zero notably loud sequences of sound? I had an MRI scan with the Magnetom Skyra and it was incredibly loud compared to what you are describing.

18. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      This model is like a bombing run... Siemens... I will never be the same.

Attached Files:

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Silent:
      19789999.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Siemens Magnetom Aera 1.5T
      This is the MRI model that killed me.
      T stands for Tinnitus and 1.5 means it will give you at least 1.5x worse T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      I'm very sorry to hear that. They SAY they have noise reduction. Why aren't they using it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had talked a major trauma hospital in northern California where I once had employment into buying a Pianissimo (software) MRI made by Cannon. There is only one other hospital in northern California that has this quiet technology and that hospital is private.

I have also bought awareness to this very large west coast hospital and outpatient system to have blood work as standard orders for those with tinnitus. Also ultrasounds of neck and abdominal area for possible hypertension relations for those with tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus.

Over the last 10 years, I have lobbied medical associations, large bio tech and neuro research companies to develop treatments including drugs for depression and tinnitus. About eight years ago, two companies went to clinical trials and one into development. None of my involvement is known by tinnitus associations or by the management of this international site.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Greg. I am located in Northern California. Can you please advice of the facilities that have these MRI machines or if you know of any quiet ones? Assuming you're from the Sacramento area from your name.

I found a Pianissimo in Castro Valley, but they are private and also closed until May 4th due to COVID.