• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Gluten-Free and Feeling Better

IMO "gluten-free" probably won't do much unless you have an actual allergy. Yes, gluten is a filler... and it would be great if greedy food companies concentrated on quality and not mass produced junk...nbut I digress.

I do think paleo, or low carb has benefits... sugar causes many issues.

However, my first time I got tinnitus I was on Atkins and not taking a vitamin supplement, and I always wondered if that was detrimental to getting tinnitus where a one time noise exposure (2 loud drummer cymbal hits) gave it to me.

IMO "gluten-free" probably won't do much unless you have an actual allergy. Yes, gluten is a filler... and it would be great if greedy food companies concentrated on quality and not mass produced junk...nbut I digress.

I do think paleo, or low carb has benefits... sugar causes many issues.

However, my first time I got tinnitus I was on Atkins and not taking a vitamin supplement, and I always wondered if that was detrimental to getting tinnitus where a one time noise exposure (2 loud drummer cymbal hits) gave it to me.
Actually, certain gluten are known to increase the permeability of the cells lining the small intestine (primary site of absorption of nutrients), which makes it easier for pathogens in food to reach the space behind these cells (a.k.a. lamina propria). The lamina propia contains immune cells and antibodies vital for fighting off said pathogens. The bottom line is that gluten makes the interaction between our immune system and pathogens in food more likely to occur, ultimately leading to inflammation regardless of the presence of a gluten allergy. Now inflammation on its own is not necessarily a bad thing; however, chronic inflammation has been linked to countless diseases--if not most. Hence, I limit my intake of gluten.

Celiac Disease is not an "allergy", it is an autoimmune condition that is activated by the ingestion of gluten, by those with Celiac. A small bread crumb, is all it takes for some with CD, to get sick. I have CD, and never eat in restaurants, unless they are certified Gluten Free. Needless to say, I don't eat out much.

I have no idea whether Celiac, gluten sensitivity, or wheat allergies cause, or have an effect on, tinnitus. Theoretically, after a person with Celiac is on the GF diet for a while, their villi's heal, the antibodies become normalized, and the patient gets better. My intrusive tinnitus started about 12 years after I went Gluten Free, so I doubt that Celiac had anything to do with the tinnitus.

Celiac Disease is not an "allergy", it is an autoimmune condition that is activated by the ingestion of gluten, by those with Celiac. A small bread crumb, is all it takes for some with CD, to get sick. I have CD, and never eat in restaurants, unless they are certified Gluten Free. Needless to say, I don't eat out much.

I have no idea whether Celiac, gluten sensitivity, or wheat allergies cause, or have an effect on, tinnitus. Theoretically, after a person with Celiac is on the GF diet for a while, their villi's heal, the antibodies become normalized, and the patient gets better. My intrusive tinnitus started about 12 years after I went Gluten Free, so I doubt that Celiac had anything to do with the tinnitus.
For the record I only said I doubted gluten had anything to do with tinnitus. I personally didn't mention celiac disease... or pathogens entering through the intestine... lol.

I was responding to the recent post by super magnolia..... who mentioned nothing about celiac disease.

I will repeat....my context was in relation to tinnitus. I want nothing to do with any pathogens or celiac disease or gluten...I'm out.

I wonder how much of people getting relief from cutting down Gluten is from:

Phytic Acid in grain which stops you from absorbing iron, zinc and calcium.

Salt and sugary foods which can mess with your blood flow/pressure.

I was responding to the recent post by super magnolia..... who mentioned nothing about celiac disease.
There is more to celiac disease and there are gluten-intolerances (e.g. dermatitis herpetiformis, leaky gut syndrome) that not all doctors acknowledge yet. My sister has a particularly bad form of it. She cannot touch (for example) a piece of bread. I have seen the rash form on her because she was near gluten-products and tiny particles in the air get inhaled. All gluten-products must be kept under plastic wrap when she is near. The skin symptom is dramatic looking but the real damage happens invisibly inside the body. It is indeed an autoimmune disease.

It is a genetic disease so it's not surprising that it is happening to me too.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now