Habituation Isn't a Myth, It Is an Impossibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, screw well constructed scientific studies that conflict with your point of view am I right? Sounds like that type of argument I'd hear from an evolution denier.
You do what you want. The fact is, most positive people who actively carry on with life, after the initial stressful early period of tinnitus, will habituate and enjoy life.
You won't, because you seemingly enjoy feeling sorry for yourself. So fuck ya. Feel sorry for yourself. But don't drag other people down with you.

When we talk about habituation in the context of tinnitus we are talking exactly about becoming less reactive to and learning to ignore the sound for which you have no control over.

It has taken me a long time to really feel okay with my Tinnitus, to cope well, to reclaim my cheerfulness, to move on.
In the early days, I would rather have been dead.
I was in hell, for every waking moment.
Not now. Gradually things changed for me.

It is still loud, however there are plenty of times when I don't even notice it.....and even when I do, I am still okay with it.

I made my 'sound' the starting point of my daily meditation (for just a few seconds) until I drift off into blessed "Peace," for twenty minutes or so.
Now, when my tinnitus intrudes I automatically associate my 'sound' with peace of mind, without even thinking about it.
There are times when I still have low spots, but mostly, I'm okay.

So, was meditation the catalysts.
I think it was.
Whatever......I have managed to come through and reach a place of safety.

** Please note - I haven't claimed to have achieved the "H" word.
I'm not entirely sure what I've achieved.
All I can say is - I have learnt how better to cope.

You do what you want. The fact is, most positive people who actively carry on with life, after the initial stressful early period of tinnitus, will habituate and enjoy life.
You won't, because you seemingly enjoy feeling sorry for yourself. So fuck ya. Feel sorry for yourself. But don't drag other people down with you.
Well if that's the route we're going, then fuck you too.

another user who finds the truth of tinnitus in a couple of paragraphs. Well, give him the doctorate and a special mention. if I had known that the solution to the whole problem was a .45 I would never have joined the forum :ROFL:

I simply want other people to be educated on the matter, though I will admit, I do partially make my posts more negative to spread my misery about.

We are all different.
I understand pretty fully the damage done to the hair cells in the cochlea, the subsequent neural activity, and some of the implications of that.
Does dwelling on the science help me to cope with this condition any better.
No - of course not.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that those who dwell only on the scientific realities of this condition, who also spit blood at the mere mention of the word 'Habituation' may ignore the prospect of therapies that may help us live better.
My own attitude is that I would say anything to comfort people, and lift their morale.
But then - I'm a bit of a 'softie'.......
(PS - I also love pussycats)

707F9642-6D0B-4E38-BAF5-9AB019982912.jpeg
@GLOwOut
.....er......I recommend pussycat therapy......

(...mark this bloke down as
not to be taken seriously....)

@Steve @Markku Here's a link where the University of Illinois posted some of their research. This is besides the actual Phase I study and update. There now doing longitude studies. I went and mapped out the brain center emotion aspects a while ago, so for me it will be interesting to see what behaviors are noted from study patients per their longitude study. There's also a lot of discussion on other neuro boards.

http://acnlab.com/ Tap on LEARN MORE. Many of the Journal Articles listed at the bottom on acnlab are also interesting.

I think that their conclusions will tell us which (at least some) treatments and coping aspects for tinnitus (both mild and severe) have validity and which ones don't. I sure as they note the tribulations between mild and severe T, that different coping treatments will be the talk of the town. If a drug development ever does hit a lab, it may be based on what's in the U of I studies and conclusions from the longitude studies.

Last edited:
@GLOwOut - I didn't make myself clear I'm afraid. I was self deprecating.
Your posts prove you have integrity.

you are changing what we mean by "habituation." Words lose their value and meaning when you apply some completely proprietary meaning to them.

Yes indeed.

Let's clarify what we're talking about here.

Please find below some definitions of habituation from reputable sources - keep in mind that habituation is a general term in neurology and psychology that does not only relate to tinnitus, but applies to our reaction to any stimulus:

"Habituation is a decrease in response to a stimulus after repeated presentations." https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-habituation-2795233

"Habituation is a universal form of nonassociative learning. In habituation, behavioral responsiveness to a test stimulus decreases with repetition. It has the important function of enabling us to ignore repetitive, irrelevant stimuli so that we can remain responsive to sporadic stimuli, typically of greater significance." https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/habituation

"Habituation is a sensory filtering process which decreases responses to repetitive stimuli." https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnint.2013.00103/full

Under all these definitions, habituation to tinnitus is very real for the majority of patients. You don't get to define for others whether they're habituated or not.

Yes indeed.

Please find below some definitions of habituation from reputable sources - keep in mind that habituation is a general term in neurology and psychology that does not only relate to tinnitus, but applies to our reaction to any stimulus:

"Habituation is a decrease in response to a stimulus after repeated presentations." https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-habituation-2795233

"Habituation is a universal form of nonassociative learning. In habituation, behavioral responsiveness to a test stimulus decreases with repetition. It has the important function of enabling us to ignore repetitive, irrelevant stimuli so that we can remain responsive to sporadic stimuli, typically of greater significance." https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/habituation

"Habituation is a sensory filtering process which decreases responses to repetitive stimuli." https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnint.2013.00103/full

Under all these definitions, habituation to tinnitus is very real for the majority of patients. You don't get to define for others whether they're habituated or not.

To be fair most people who come on here don't really understand the word 'habituation'. All they want is for the noise to go away...and it does for those who want to move on and those who don't keep obsessively listening for it.

The habituation process.

Habituation is frequently talked about in tinnitus forums and probably comes in at second place to the popular question: when will a cure be found? It seems some people have become quite taken with this word and believe it is the most important thing to strive for when dealing with this condition. Everyone wants to habituate as soon as possible and carry on living their life doing everything that they want to and putting tinnitus firmly behind them.

I can honestly say that I see nothing wrong with that, but wanting something in the speed that we would like it isn't always achievable, especially with something like tinnitus. A few people that have had tinnitus for a while, have contacted me to discuss just that. They have concerns about the length of time it's taking to habituate. Similarly, I have heard from those new to this condition that want the habitation process to start as quickly as possible. Both groups tell me they are doing all the right things but it seems patience is giving way to despondency and despair and some are starting to believe habituation might never happen for them.

It is of little comfort to these people when they hear family and friends say, tinnitus is just a minor irritant and something that can easily be ignored. Occasionally, it might be intrusive but this is never more than temporary and they are still able to carry on with their life unperturbed. I often sense the frustration a person is under when they are relaying this to me. Whether I'm talking to them on the telephone, private messenger or answering an email. It is then that I'm often asked: why is it that the habituation process doesn't seem to be happening for them?

Answering such a question isn't easy because there is no single answer that I can provide but I will say this. Tinnitus is a common condition that comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. It can be very troublesome especially in the early stages of onset, but gradually this gives way and the condition settles down and in time many manage to cope with it when it's mild or moderate. Sometimes this may involve treatment via a hearing therapist or a person achieves this naturally without being referred to a clinic.

It should be noted that tinnitus can be a complex condition, depending on how loud and intrusive it is for the individual? So what I've just outlined won't apply to everyone. There are other factors that also come into play. A person's make-up or rather their outlook on life. Whether they are positive or negative thinking can help or delay the habitation process. In addition to this, stress and anxiety are often associated with tinnitus and a person might be taking medication such as an antidepressant to help cope with it. There are a myriad of scenarios that I could relay to you on how tinnitus can affect someone's quality of life, their well-being and the habituation process. For now I will say this:

When a person habituates to tinnitus it means they are able cope with it but this doesn't mean they will never hear it. Although some people habituate to a level where the tinnitus is rarely heard or stays at a very low level. Whether the tinnitus is silent for periods of time or remains low, mild, moderate or is occasionally intrusive, it doesn't really matter, because it all means the same thing. When habituation is reached a person will know, because whatever the level it will not bother you. However, like everything there are exceptions and tinnitus is no different. I believe there are some limitations to habituation. As I have previously said the condition comes in many forms and intensities. Some people have variable tinnitus that can fluctuate from silent, mild, moderate and severe. When it is loud and intrusive (severe) and this level is sustained for long periods it can become very debilitating and a person might have to take medication to cope with it, which is usually supplied by their doctor. This level of sustained intrusiveness shouldn't be confused with a tinnitus spike, which usually returns to baseline within a short period of time.

I want to say that I believe habituation is achievable for most people with time. In some instances a person might need the professional help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, as there are a variety of treatment options available to help one in the habituation process. One should also try to be realistic. There are some people that will accept nothing less than a complete cure from their tinnitus and this is unfortunate, because they could waste a lot of time being miserable.

I have corresponded with people that have said, their tinnitus is very low and is only heard occasionally or in a quiet room, at night for instance. Yet these people are not satisfied because they want a complete cure and will deliberately seek out quiet surroundings to monitor their tinnitus, checking to see if it has increased or not. It's as if they have become obsessed with this condition and to the point where is starts to affect their relationship with those that are close to them, and I don't think this is healthy.

In summing up I want to say one last thing. Those that are having treatment with a Hearing Therapist, Audiologist, or finding that their tinnitus is becoming less intrusive and they are in the habituation process. Try not to read negative posts or associate with negative thinking people who are not in the same place that you are, as their beliefs can prevent your advancement, if you are not careful.

I wish you well
Michael

I've had this loud intrusive and persistent tinnitus for 6 years. (Not caused by noise exposure), I have never habituated, but I've not stopped living and enjoying life. Yes, it sucks, it sucks like hell, but that's life, and that's the crux of it. I have life, not in the way I wanted to enjoy life, but it is what it is. True enough, sometimes it gets me down, but I bounce back.

To be fair most people who come on here don't really understand the word 'habituation'. All they want is for the noise to go away...and it does for those who want to move on and those who don't keep obsessively listening for it.

Hi @Bassplayer, this is where we have to agree to disagree but respect your views but not on this but I know your positivity on here is nice..
Telling people there tinnitus will go away if they want to move on is wrong, being positive it could go away and carry on as before if they don't focus on the sound is more real......love glynis

With respect @Bassplayer I want to say habituation comes in many forms and no two people experience it the same. Please read my post above: The habituation process.

Michael

What about people that say they are habituated but still hear their tinnitus?

Well then they still hear the noise.

In the early stages we feel we have no choice but listen to it. Later we realise that, by being preoccupied with other things, we start to find the noise disappears from our consciousness for periods of time. 'Moving on' builds on that realisation.

If you have read any of my posts you'd know I don't like the word habituation and how it's used to portray the 'golden trophy'. There is no 'golden trophy' because every single person on this planet will always have a weakness.

All we all want in the end is to be happy. We all understand and agree on that word don't we?

The problem is that some people suck happiness from those who are well meaning.

Later we realise that, by being preoccupied with other things, we start to find the noise disappears from our consciousness for periods of time. 'Moving on' builds on that realisation.
Well, I'll have to disagree with that. Not everyone is able to achieve that kind of habituation or whatever you want to call it. There are certainly people with loud tinnitus that are still living their lives but also hear their tinnitus clearly.

Well, I'll have to disagree with that. Not everyone is able to achieve that kind of habituation or whatever you want to call it. There are certainly people with loud tinnitus that are still living their lives but also hear their tinnitus clearly.
Most people are like that. @Bassplayer is completely wrong I'm afraid.

Hi @Bassplayer, this is where we have to agree to disagree but respect your views but not on this but I know your positivity on here is nice..
Telling people there tinnitus will go away if they want to move on is wrong, being positive it could go away and carry on as before if they don't focus on the sound is more real......love glynis

I have met people who don't want to move on because they enjoy the sympathy. 'Poor me syndrome' it's called.

We've all probably used that one in our past. Fortunately most people move on.

Let me just say that cherrypicking press releases or even journal papers isn't something most scientists would recommend. Research is incremental and most results will be wrong. If you have some training on the scientific method you learn not to trust every paper you read.

Press releases are even worse. ;)

Best,
Zug

I have met people who don't want to move on because they enjoy the sympathy. 'Poor me syndrome' it's called.

You're still not addressing what other people have said. What Glynis said wasn't about people not wanting to move on or saying habituation isn't possible. It's about you saying everyone can learn not to hear their tinnitus anymore.

Yes indeed.

Never tried to define it for others. I am pointing out how, by your definitions, the brain changes itself to force attention to the matter, making the odd of habituation defined by others on this site a physiological impossibility.

@Bassplayer , I agree most people in there own time do move on and learn how to cope with there sound and emotional reaction and that is what we want for everyone :):D and totally agree with what you are saying .

Some people do struggle and need the extra support and find it is sever and mentally challenging and find it impacts on every aspect of the day and can not work etc.....love glynis

@Bassplayer , I agree most people in there own time do move on and learn how to cope with there sound and emotional reaction and that is what we want for everyone :):D and totally agree with what you are saying .

Some people do struggle and need the extra support and find it is sever and mentally challenging and find it impacts on every aspect of the day and can not work etc.....love glynis

I agree with all of this (I was that person!). That is why I'm trying to help them. At the same time there are trolls, users, sympathy freaks, those who make money out of other peoples suffering etc.

That's why I ask questions like 'Why are you REALLY on this forum'. Do you want to help, do you need help, or both?

I know where you are Glynis... x

I will settle for nothing short of either a massive reduction in the tones, so they fall below conscious and cause the accompanying neurons in the auditory cortex to die, thus causing the brain to fail in its mission, or a outright cure. Until I have my peace of mind, the ability to sleep without medication or background noise in silence (so in other words not coping, moving on, and being able to sleep without meds or sound with the noise) I will NEVER truly be happy. Even my "happy" days are not truly happy because of this goddamn ringing. I will never truly be happy or smile in a true happy way so long as this noise exists and I am sober.

I've said it before and I will say it again, STOP TRYING TO COPE! All that does is hurt our cause. What doctor wants to cure condition they don't view as a disease and think "oh, they will adjust, no need for further research". I refuse to do any of those therapies, even if they greatly improve my quality of life, give me my true smile back, and let me lead a productive, fruitful, and happy life. I would rather kill myself than do any of that. I want science to know we suffer, so much that it hinders other areas of research and FORCES them to actually look for a cure while simultaneously abandoning attempts to improve or introduce new coping therapies, so that way patients who would improve or cope with such innovation do not.

I agree with all of this (I was that person!). That is why I'm trying to help them. At the same time there are trolls, users, sympathy freaks, those who make money out of other peoples suffering etc.

That's why I ask questions like 'Why are you REALLY on this forum'. Do you want to help, do you need help, or both?

I know where you are Glynis... x
Trolls are people like threefourfire. I don't know about any sympathy freaks but I will say that I consider almost every ENT, audiologist, neurologist, or any other medical professional who sells CBT, TRT, hearing aids, or expensive and fruitless visits to a tinnitus "clinic" to be snake oil salesman. Their advice should largely be ignored and not trusted.

My T continues to be very severe and I'm more or less fine with it all the time now. Have faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now