Hearing Distortion (Reactive Tinnitus) Often Present in Meniere's

SilverSpiral

Author
Jul 15, 2016
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
Always happy to give support to members with Meniere's and read added files about it.

Love glynis

Reactive tinnitus / hearing distortion does exist because I have it. Whistling caused by car engines, fans, printers etc. Thankfully it comes and goes and music or the tv doesn't produce it.

Anyone who doesn't believe in it obviously hasn't experienced it.

Shame really because I don't discount things exist just because I haven't experienced them.

You're not alone.

Reactive tinnitus / hearing distortion does exist because I have it. Whistling caused by car engines, fans, printers etc. Thankfully it comes and goes and music or the tv doesn't produce it.

Shame really because I don't discount things exist just because I haven't experienced them.

You're not alone.

Indeed @orbiter12 what you are experiencing is very real and I have experienced the exact same thing. I don't know whether you have started wearing white noise generators yet but just want to say the following and shan't be commenting further. When a person has sensitivity to sound caused by noise trauma as in your case mine and many others. When it is properly treated using sound therapy and if necessary counselling the auditory system will be desensitised and a person's sensitivity to sound return to normal.

The problem occurs when a person's sensitivity to sound isn't treated and they insist on wearing hearing protection at every opportunity. They think they are helping the situation by doing this but often it makes the condition worse. Whether one wants to call it Reactive tinnitus or hyperacusis is entirely up to them. Reactive tinnitus is treatable and doesn't have to be a life long condition but unfortunately, some people are not able to get treatment such as white noise generators and counselling and therefore this over sensitivity to sound or certain sounds will always be a problem.

In my opinion, the term Reactive tinnitus, was made up in tinnitus forums and it is very real because it's Hyperacusis which reacts to certain sounds not necessarily all types of sound and each person experiences it different. It is not only me that shares this view about Reactive Tinnitus being made up, other people at forums say this too. As I said this is my opinion: Some in the medical field have latched on to the idea and trying to make the term Reactive tinnitus into a separate but treatable medical condition and I don't agree with this.

I say again. What you are experiencing is very real and yes, your auditory system is reactive to sound or certain sounds and I experienced the exact same thing. Once you are properly treated and stop the overuse of wearing hearing protection I do not believe you will have this problem. It is treatable and I believe curable and I have been cured for 18 years.

I wish you well.
Michael

Always happy to give support to members with Meniere's and read added files about it.

I will always report posts out to stir up trouble.

Love glynis
I am not alone in my experience and concerns and you will not silence me. Below is another who experienced the same thing. You will not silence me on this issue. Below I will quote another who had experienced both similar symptoms to me, and is equally irked by one individuals constant harassment of people who suffer with it.

I don't know why one person in particular spends so much time trying to say reactive tinnitus doesn't exist.

If the phenomenon is just a symptom of hyperacusis - it's still a discernible symptom from the pain response from sound that is not accompanied by hearing distortion in the form of ringing. Furthermore it can exist separate from a pain response.

What on earth is the issue with further categorizing symptoms? Yeah - it's something that came from conversation on forums. Tinnitus is a subjective disorder. Literally ALL of the symptoms come from trends determined from anecdotal patient reports.

I had it. Certain notes would make me hear feedback, like a mic was turned toward a speaker. It lasted a few months. Shit by any other name would smell as terrible. Stop arguing semantics and just talk to people about what they're struggling with.

Isn't it odd how every time I try to speak about my condition, the same two people are there trying to censor or shame me for doing so? So sad, there is no safe place to speak about this.

@SilverSpiral
I don't have any problem with you at all and only try to ask members like yourself to report anything that you're not happy with to be looked in to off the forum.
I respect your views equally and nice to see you back on here.

Love glynis

You're not alone.
Hello. I also have the same symptoms. Mine used to come and go but now it seems to have established and unfortunately I hear it with music also. Did you follow any strategy? Thank you.

Note for transparency: My original post and my third post of this thread have been heavily edited by forum staff.

Other posts besides my own have been deleted or edited within this thread as well.

This has been confirmed by forum staff.

I hope nobody else who experiences this experiences what I do.

I know what you are talking about... whatever anyone wants to call it. I had it when I first developed tinnitus but it went away. I thought it might be related to anxiety but it is so hard to know exactly what is related to what.

I have distorted hearing and off-the-scale reactive tinnitus too. I had to stop using my laptop because of the humming of the fan causing reaction and switch to iPad. Not nice. You aren't alone.

I have distorted hearing and off-the-scale reactive tinnitus too. I had to stop using my laptop because of the humming of the fan causing reaction and switch to iPad. Not nice. You aren't alone.
LOl gotta say. I have been "cured" of distortion tinnitus like 3 times or more....and now I realized that the curings had all happened after I had stopped using my main computer and instead started using my laptop.....

Omg now I remember more...my distortion/reactive tinnitus got real bad (ye bad) last October when I had some issues with the fan of my computer.. I had to remove and re-apply the thermal paste etc....

And now every time I've had the reactive tinnitus came back I've used my old computer (the opposite of laptop....tabletop...)...fukn eel all these memories comin' back... the distortion came last year during the summer.. I had to work in this room that had this huge network switch rack and it made sooooo tiring sound...high pitch noise..tried to use ear plugs tho...tickled my ears whole summer..and my problems started after then..couldn't sleep at all because there was no silent room enough for me etc....

Note for transparency: My original post and my third post of this thread have been heavily edited by forum staff.

Other posts besides my own have been deleted or edited within this thread as well.

This has been confirmed by forum staff.

I hope nobody else who experiences this experiences what I do.

Hey ! I made account just for this. This thing started with me last friday. I read your symptoms silverspiral and they are 100% like mine. Your posts gave me so much strenght you have no idea. I thought i was crazy with these sounds. I couldnt stand low volume music or cars passing by. Im happy that im not alone with this. Yesterday i wanted to kill myself now im "ok" with this because i wasnt crazy

Hey ! I made account just for this. This thing started with me last friday. I read your symptoms silverspiral and they are 100% like mine. Your posts gave me so much strenght you have no idea. I thought i was crazy with these sounds. I couldnt stand low volume music or cars passing by. Im happy that im not alone with this. Yesterday i wanted to kill myself now im "ok" with this because i wasnt crazy
Yes exactly, it is not so uncommon as others on this forum would try to make others think, it unfortunately leads to feelings of hopelessness and isolation even within the tinnitus community. I still have this and I still feel suicidal. I just feel completely dead to it all. I hope you can improve, many others have had these symptoms and it gets better, I hope mine does some day too.

Yes exactly, it is not so uncommon as others on this forum would try to make others think, it unfortunately leads to feelings of hopelessness and isolation even within the tinnitus community. I still have this and I still feel suicidal. I just feel completely dead to it all. I hope you can improve, many others have had these symptoms and it gets better, I hope mine does some day too.

Hey Silver. I can say for my relief that the sound got better in 3 weeks. Im not sure if its all gone or do i just not register it like in beginning. But yeh its 90% better now. But life isnt perfect so now i sometimes here this weird morse code in my head.

Ok. Update. The morse code sound like gets worse and worse. This is now the worst voice i have experienced. It feels like all the happines is gone from the life. Idk what to do.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now