Hello New Friends... What Might Lie Ahead on This New Tinnitus Journey?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lmack13, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You make a valid point @Contrast

ENT doctors are physicians and have an important role to play when a person with tinnitus comes to them for help. I want to make a few things clear. ENT doctors are not tinnitus experts as some people believe. They are highly qualified clinicians that know how to treat medical problems associated with the: Ear, Nose and Throat. It is right that a person with tinnitus is first seen by an ENT doctor, so tests can be carried out on the auditory system to try and determine what is causing the tinnitus. As you know tinnitus can be caused by many things.

After tests have been carried out, if no underlying medical problem can be found causing the tinnitus as is "noise induced," the patient should be referred to "Audiology" to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist; this is what happens in the UK. These health professionals treat patients with tinnitus and hyperacusis . A variety of treatment options are available depending on the hospital one attends. This can include: TRT, CBT, counselling, sound therapy, white noise generators, Mindfullness, relaxation classes etc. Some people with tinnitus also have hearing loss. The Hearing Therapist/Audiologist will be able to address this too by supplying hearing aids.

An ENT doctor can prescribe medication to help with tinnitus.

Michael

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      As luck would have it, we do have a poll on the forum about headphone usage: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...phones-has-it-made-your-tinnitus-worse.35243/

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've never seen that "overwhelming" evidence on this forum actually, in the past 3+ years I've been here.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      A drummer? Gonna have to pick your brain sometime! :troll::troll:

• Like Like x 1