• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Surgery

Celebrities with tinnitus

• Martin Luther
• Phil Collins
• Cher
• Morgan Fairchild
• Cheryl Tiegs
• Ozzy Ozborne
• Huey Lewis
• Ludwig van Beethoven
• Sylvester Stallone
• Larry King
• Bono
• James Hetfield
• Jack Straw
• Pete Townshend
• Peter Sun
• Betsy Casey
• Chris Martin
• Gary Numan
• Eric Clapton
• William Shatner
• Barbra Streisand
• Steve Martin
• Leslie Nielsen
• Engelbert Humperdinck
• Gabe Lopez
• Lars Urlich
• Bob Dylan
• Leonard Nimoy

Is it the question of money for these people ?

My guess is that around 90% of all musicians must have tinnitus. I think It would be strange if it was otherwise. And from your list it would seem so since many of them are musicians.

This is kind of funny though. If you look at Alan Shepard on this page http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-with-tinnitus/celebrity-lists?page=4

It says: "NASA astronaut Alan Shepard had surgery to fix his tinnitus, so that he could command the Apollo 14 moon flight."

So then NASA are the guys that could fix it 50 years ago!? Anyone in contact with NASA? Know someone, their ENT from the 60's perhaps?

My guess is that around 90% of all musicians must have tinnitus. I think It would be strange if it was otherwise. And from your list it would seem so since many of them are musicians.

This is kind of funny though. If you look at Alan Shepard on this page http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-with-tinnitus/celebrity-lists?page=4

It says: "NASA astronaut Alan Shepard had surgery to fix his tinnitus, so that he could command the Apollo 14 moon flight."

So then NASA are the guys that could fix it 50 years ago!? Anyone in contact with NASA? Know someone, their ENT from the 60's perhaps?

They might have mild tinnitus which is why they aren't raising awareness.

They might have mild tinnitus which is why they aren't raising awareness.

Or they just don't give a f***k. I wouldn't expect much else from a guy like Ozzy Osbourne.

It's funny how some people have tinnitus but don't seem to care one bit. I have spoken to some of my firends about my condition a number of times. And as it turned out four of my closest friends that I grew up with all have tinnitus. They just don't care. I have been to a night club with all of them after knowing they have it. I wouldn't go near one without some heavy foam earplugs, and I insert them when we're 100 m from it and take them out when I get out of the bus on my home street basicly.

It makes me wonder just how many people do have this thing and just don't care. What are the odds that nearly all of my friends I grew up with have tinnitus?! It's like 4 out of 5! That's no 10-15%!

Or they just don't give a f***k. I wouldn't expect much else from a guy like Ozzy Osbourne.

It's funny how some people have tinnitus but don't seem to care one bit. I have spoken to some of my firends about my condition a number of times. And as it turned out four of my closest friends that I grew up with all have tinnitus. They just don't care. I have been to a night club with all of them after knowing they have it. I wouldn't go near one without some heavy foam earplugs, and I insert them when we're 100 m from it and take them out when I get out of the bus on my home street basicly.

It makes me wonder just how many people do have this thing and just don't care. What are the odds that nearly all of my friends I grew up with have tinnitus?! It's like 4 out of 5! That's no 10-15%!

Well, we'll never know how bad their tinnitus truly is, as we can't hear it.

Well, we'll never know how bad their tinnitus truly is, as we can't hear it.

Well one of my best friends described it like this in a phone conversation once shortly after I told him about my tinnitus close to 9 years ago:

"I was sitting in my livingroom the other night and thought of what you said about your tinnitus and I listened to my own a little. Damn that shit was loud! So I put some music on in my headphones and cranked up the volume and forgott all about it." o_O

I've been out with him a couple of times to night clubs since. That guy refuses to use ear protection. I offer it to him every time. He just looks at me a little awkward and turns away like "seriusly?!"

Well one of my best friends described it like this in a phone conversation once shortly after I told him about my tinnitus close to 9 years ago:

"I was sitting in my livingroom the other night and thought of what you said about your tinnitus and I listened to my own a little. Damn that shit was loud! So I put some music on in my headphones and cranked up the volume and forgott all about it." o_O

Surely headphones isn't a good idea with tinnitus?

Surely headphones isn't a good idea with tinnitus?

Well I use it sometimes, but I'm very, very aware of the volume. My guess is he is not! I am aware of volume levels of everything. I measure volume all the time. When I walk down the street, when I'm in town, when I'm in a restaurant, when I'm at someones house, when I sit and watch TV....ALWAYS. And if it's a bit too loud, I put my earplugs in. It's become a second nature to me.

Well I use it sometimes, but I'm very, very aware of the volume. My guess is he is not! I am aware of volume levels of everything. I measure volume all the time. When I walk down the street, when I'm in town, when I'm in a restaurant, when I'm at someones house, when I sit and watch TV....ALWAYS. And if something is a bit high, I put my earplugs in. It's become a second nature to me.

I take it you've got hyperacusis?

I take it you've got hyperacusis?

No not really. I used to for a while right after the onset of my T. But not anymore. And even then I think it was more fear of sound then real H.

I have become very aware of sounds and I am very picky about environments I habitate. I have returned countless computers/laptops and other things a day or so after I bought them just becouse the fans were too loud or they made a coil whine. Accually the onset of my T was after I had purchased a new laptop (my first one). It made a coil whine (an electric sound from the power supply). For a while I thought that was why I got my T since my T sounds exactly like an electric high pitched coil whine, but the more I think of it it was probably due to me playing some stupid wargame with headphones on a bit too loud. The sound from the laptop was too quiet. It was barley noticable and most people might not have even noticed it. And then plus all the times I've been to night clubs without wearing ear protection. :banghead:

No not really. I used to for a while right after the onset of my T. But not anymore. And even then I think it was more fear of sound then real H.

I have become very aware of sounds and I am very picky about environments I habitate. I have returned countless computers/laptops and other things a day or so after I bought them just becouse the fans were too loud or they made a coil whine. Accually the onset of my T was after I had purchased a new laptop (my first one). It made a coil whine (an electric sound from the power supply). For a while I thought that was why I got my T since my T sounds exactly like an electric high pitched coil whine, but the more I think of it it was probably due to me playing some stupid wargame with headphones on a bit too loud. The sound from the laptop was too quiet. It was barley noticable and most people might not have even noticed it. And then plus all the times I've been to night clubs without wearing ear protection.

Just scared of it getting worse, that's fair enough. Gosh, I can't wait till they regenerate hair cells, although people wouldn't be careful then...I say careful now.

Just scared of it getting worse, that's fair enough. Gosh, I can't wait till they regenerate hair cells, although people wouldn't be careful then...I say careful now.

Well I sort my life in two phases. Before T, and after T. Sort of like the timeline is before the birth of Christ and after. Since then I have sort of lived on pause. Kind of like a computer on idle. I'm just waiting for a cure so I can start living again. Hit the "play" button again if you understand what I mean.

Sometimes I loose hope, then I become suicidal. Then I somehow gain hope again by f.i. looking at this forum and read about phase II trials and new possible treatments. Then I can tell my self that "It's just a little while longer now. You can't kill yourself now when a cure might come in 2 years."

So I push on for a while longer. I've had some major downs 3-4 times when I even had written a suicide letter to all my friends and family and started thinking about what way would be the most lenient to die without making a big mess for someone else to clean up.

It's been almost 9 years now. The anniversary is May the 10th.

I saw that and wondered the same as well. My guess is that Alan Shepard had Pulsatile Tinnitus, which in some cases, can be fixed through surgery.

I saw that and wondered the same as well. My guess is that Alan Shepard had Pulsatile Tinnitus, which in some cases, can be fixed through surgery.
From Wikipedia:
"These were his only two space flights, as his flight status was interrupted for five years (1964–69) during the Mercury and Gemini programs by Ménière's disease, an inner-ear disease that was surgically corrected before his Moon flight."

Again, wtf?

I feel like they have mild T and some people can go through with mild t without ever spiking it they are the lucky ones.. Then there are people like me that every fkn thing will spike it.. My friends dad has mild t and he goes shooting and He goes dancing etc without protection he says it doesnt jump or get worse only a little bit of pain after the fact but back to normal.. I also have a friend that developed it thru bad sinuses hea had it for about over a year and not ince has it spikes on him he has it very faint he has to bein a really quiet room for him to hear it..and the guy lives his life as he didnt have it he works in boxing promoting and always goes to the boxing events without protection and those thing are really loud.. Some people are just lucky not to get premanent spikes that is.. And i also feel if you have to try to listen to your t than it is very mild ..

Why don't we, as a collective, invest/initiate in a clinical trial with HIFU on T ?

This clinical trial could investigate the efficacy of HIFU for T. I am more than certain, it shouldn't be unearthly to find a decent intelligent reasearch team (neurosurgeons) willing to conduct such a fascinating study.

They even treat OCD and depression with HIFU. I mean, OCD and depression seriously? So why not T ?

We all know there will never be a medication (pill) that can cease T completely without having any side effects; especially on the long term. Any drug that affects the brain causes some sort of intoxication. That's why we are not allowed to drive or operate machinery. It's virtually impossible to address exclusively certain neurons in the brain without affecting at the same time others. That's like claiming that the pharmaceutical industry could create a painkiller that exlusively works for toothache but no other pain. Sheer impossible!

T is in the brain. Thus I am convinced that only a brain surgery could fix it. HIFU is applicable to the brain through the intact skull for a non-invasive neurosurgery. Therefore, a lobotomy without the hole in the head.

To tell you the truth, I don't know about you but I want a cure. Or at the very least a treatment that does work in the long run. Of course there are risks. You might end up with more hearing loss than before. But T might be completely erased as well.
I know people that offed themselves because of debilitating T. And I bet you know a few as well. There's is reason for it. T can drive a person insane.

Hell, they have been playing around with HIFU since 2008 !!!

Source,
http://www.healthcare-in-europe.com..._in_MR-guided,_non-invasive_neurosurgery.html

..and yet nothing for T. Evidently we are such an insignificant minority that nobody cares. Worse, even some people in our own midst do not see T as a disability. They worry more about gray hair and wrinkles.

It's funny how some people have tinnitus but don't seem to care one bit.

It's called mild or faint T. If you have to 'look for it' why would you bother to care about it?

And as it turned out four of my closest friends that I grew up with all have tinnitus. They just don't care.

If they really have it. There are people that claim to have it even though they don't have it just to sympathize. I did enounter a few. Some did admit it after too much contradiction.

"I was sitting in my livingroom the other night and thought of what you said about your tinnitus and I listened to my own a little. Damn that shit was loud! So I put some music on in my headphones and cranked up the volume and forgott all about it."

You see, he needs to listen to it for a while in a silent room. That says it all, mild T.

I've been out with him a couple of times to night clubs since. That guy refuses to use ear protection.

I have several friends that don't have it but still party hard w/o earplugs! And they never have any issues with their ears. It's utterly unbelievable!

Accually the onset of my T was after I had purchased a new laptop (my first one).

Did you use Wifi?

I just called Sunnybrook in Canada. I tried to talk to a patient advocate. No luck.
HIFU looks promising yet they dont do T yet. And even if they did there are thousands of booked patients.

From Wikipedia:
"These were his only two space flights, as his flight status was interrupted for five years (1964–69) during the Mercury and Gemini programs by Ménière's disease, an inner-ear disease that was surgically corrected before his Moon flight."

Again, wtf?

Oh okay that's news to me. The President of UFC had surgery to fix his Ménière's disease, so maybe for them the T went away as well.

I believe that there are procedures that offer hope. But the cost patient analysis is not in our favor.
Were on the shit end of the stick. It sucks we gotta hold out for a therapy that cost less.
I could be wrong...

You see, he needs to listen to it for a while in a silent room. That says it all, mild T.

I don't know if that is necesarly true. I think that some people just have the ability to not care. I know I might be going out on a limb here but I think that people that suffer from tinnitus, including myself, are people that are thinking and reflecting more. I'm guessing that people that suffer from tinnitus are also those with higher intelligence. I don't know if any research has been done about this but I think that there is something to the saying "ignorance is bliss". People who don't think and reflect are more likely to accept things as they are and be happy.

I also think that people who suffer from T are more likely to suffer from depression just becouse of that reflecting, thinking and calculating set of mind. People with low intelligence rarly care about things they don't understand or can't change. Hence the term "ignorance is bliss". They live their lives happily no matter the surcomestances.

If you look at historical figures that reportedly suffered from tinnitus you will find many great minds such as Darwin, Beethoven, Michelangelo and so on. I think that there is something to it.

Also note that there is a difference between not having T and not caring. I don't think that the severity of the T or the level of the sound of T always corresponds to the amount of suffering from it.

Oh okay that's news to me. The President of UFC had surgery to fix his Ménière's disease, so maybe for them the T went away as well.

As I've heard he still has T but they managed to fix his vertigo.

I'm guessing that people that suffer from tinnitus are also those with higher intelligence.

You just saying this 'cause you have T. Just kidding!^^ Seriously though, I suppose there's some truth in it. Obviously, you must not be very bright or completely bonkers if you genuinely can ignore debilitating T.

If you look at historical figures that reportedly suffered from tinnitus you will find many great minds such as Darwin, Beethoven, Michelangelo and so on. I think that there is something to it.

That's easily explained, those are all famous historical minds. What about all those common people? Nobody would know about their ailments.

I don't think that the severity of the T or the level of the sound of T always corresponds to the amount of suffering from it.

Oh, you can have mine for the next 48 hours. Bet you'd change your mind immediately. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying this to downplay your T since I do not know how bad yours actually is, but mine is beyond sanity!

Rumors have it that Dana White still has T but very mild. So not debilitating!

I just called Sunnybrook in Canada.

HIFU looks promising yet they dont do T yet.

Tell them they should do a clinical trial if they are interested in the Nobel Prize.

~
I had already used it [Wifi] for years prior to that so I don't see a correlation there.

Yeah, it's like smoking for years and bang! you got cancer.

That's easily explained, those are all famous historical minds. What about all those common people? Nobody would know about their ailments.

Yes but why no kings or conquerers then? We know a lot about many of them. We f.i. speculate that Alexander the great was gay but there is nothing about wheither any of the likes of him through out the history have had tinnitus.

We know that Ceasar had epilepsy and so on...

Oh, you can have mine for the next 48 hours. Bet you'd change your mind immediately. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying this to downplay your T since I do not know how bad yours actually is, but mine is beyond sanity!

I'm not saying anything about your T. I'm sure it must be worse then mine from what you are saying. But you shouldn't compare like that. It depends greatly what one finds worse. What I hate about my T is the frequency. I can't mask it with nearly anything. If it was of a lower pitch I could maybe at least mask it with other sounds. But since it's of a frequency above 14 khz it just sets on top of everything else. So it's not just the volume. I think that T of low frequencies might not be that bad accually. At least not for me. It would be like flying in an airplane or something like that. At least that's what I imagine. But we can't choose what kind of tone we want it to have unfortunatly.

Rumors have it that Dana White still has T but very mild. So not debilitating!
Again, we don't accually know. He might find it mild becouse he used to have worse. I know I would if my T droped by 30-40% but that might still qualify as a bad case but since we can't accually put our selves in that persons mind we can never know.

In order to be clear in this paper you can find the correlation and similarities between tinnitus (phantom sounds), phantom limb pain, neuropsichiatric disorders, tremors, parkinson's disease and more others.

Tinnitus is multifactorial disease and some of those can be improved with various options from the acopuncture to old drugs (and i hope new future soon drugs) and the surgery (invasive or not). All depend by the source. Stayng on the topic this paper explain clearly the mechanism of a tinnitus by nerve damage or tcd or both;

enjoy the reading: http://www.fondation-fondamental.org/upload/pdf/strasbourg_2011_for_fondamental_2.pdf

What I find hard to accept is that they found by certainty a way to detect tinnitus, make a subjective diagnose of it independant of the person's objective sypmptoms. If they detect it they will most likely cure it. That is what they say at least. So, where is the cure? Why is it stalling? And what's the catch here? Do you loose those damaged frequencies for good? If and when a new hearing loss therapy is found, it will not do you any good because of the frying of that part of the brain?

@Viking : Ivan have you discussed that with them? What is your opinion?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now