How to Habituate to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Aug 9, 2021.

1. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm six months in, and yes, I'm still having difficulty coping with it. I constantly wonder, will my life ever return to normal again?
      I am being counseled by two former tinnitus sufferers, now experts and counselors—one from Germany and the other from Australia, from the Tinnitus Association Victoria. They have both told me about the promising prospect of habituation, explaining what it is and how it feels. However, on bad days, I still lose hope, feel despair, and find it hard to believe that I will one day be among those who have grown accustomed to the ringing in their ears.
      Believe me, I fill my days as much as possible with enjoyable activities with my wife and kids, even though I often feel anxious and depressed. That’s why I’m currently on sick leave, even though, for example, the Tinnitus Association Victoria advises continuing to work and normalizing life. I understand their recommendation, but right now, I just can’t do it.
      Does this also apply to tinnitus caused by an ear infection? I don’t think I experienced any severe hearing loss. It’s more likely that the filtering function in my brain has been affected, allowing me to hear my mind at work. My tinnitus sounds like a high-pitched buzzing.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand the difficulties that you are going through with tinnitus at the moment. Don't be too hard on yourself. Take each day at a time. Remember to use low-level sound enrichment, especially at night. Read my thread: The Habituation Process.
      It is understandable that on bad days, you lose hope and feel despair. Please don't be too hard on yourself, as I believe your circumstances will improve with time. Talk to your doctors and explain how you feel. They may advise that you take medication that can act as a safety net so you don't become too down.
      I don't agree with what your tinnitus advisers have told you. When tinnitus is severe, it can prevent a person from doing the things that they would like to do, and this includes the ability to work. Anyone who has suffered from severe tinnitus knows this. I mean no disrespect to your tinnitus advisers, but in my opinion, they have never suffered from severe tinnitus; otherwise, they would be more understanding and never mentioned that you should continue to work. When the time is right, you can return to work, but it is not now.

I have corresponded with and counseled people with tinnitus for many years. Reading your words and experience tells me that you are going through some difficulties at the moment. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, for they don't know what you're going through, and they aren't living your life.
      It is good that you are keeping yourself occupied. Once again, please talk to your doctors about any anxiety or depression you might have. Take time and try not to push yourself too hard.
      I mostly advise people affected by noise-induced tinnitus with or without hyperacusis because I have experience with it.

If an ear infection causes your tinnitus and is not noise-induced, once the infection is treated and eventually clears up, the tinnitus usually goes away in time. For some people, the tinnitus can linger for quite a while, but it should eventually go away. I advise you not to listen to audio through headphones, earbuds, AirPods, headsets, or noise-canceling headphones, even at low volume.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you so much for your understanding and encouraging words. I've been using sound enrichment for a few months now. In the beginning stages of my tinnitus, it was more about masking the noise, which I still rely on during particularly bad days. I understand that in order to habituate to tinnitus, it's important to hear it above the sound enrichment. However, I still find the sound so unpleasant that it immediately puts me in a bad mood or even triggers depressive thoughts, so I tend to prefer masking it with other sounds.

While my tinnitus isn't particularly loud, it is extremely intrusive, and its impact on my life feels overwhelming.

I really hope that through habituation, my brain will soon stop classifying the noise as a threat, or at least as less of a threat. If that happens, it seems like the noise would become less unpleasant and intrusive, maybe even quieter, or at least easier to block out over time. When that happens, I imagine there will be less stress, which would help reduce the anxiety, depression, and sleep issues I've been struggling with—right?
      Thank you again for your understanding and supportive words. I'm in contact with my doctors and have been taking a low dose of antidepressants for six months to help with sleep (7.5 mg of mirtazapine). I tried an SSRI (sertraline) back in March, but unfortunately, I didn’t tolerate it well at all. I believe my doctors are considering increasing my antidepressant dosage, but I'm very skeptical due to some negative past experiences.

In addition, I take some supplements that are supposed to help, as well as Lasea, a natural lavender extract said to have anxiolytic and antidepressant effects.

I know that after six months, some people are well on their way to habituation, with the noise bothering them much less or even being something they can block out. However, I've also heard that for some, it can take longer—one or two years—so there is still hope for me, right?

The most challenging part is figuring out how to persevere while maintaining a somewhat normal life, going to work, and still being present for my loved ones.
      Thank you again for your understanding! Believe me, I want to work and would love to be able to return to my job as soon as possible—but right now, I feel too unwell, too unstable, and too consumed by my tinnitus to manage that.

As you mentioned, I know I shouldn’t, but I feel guilty for not being able to function, for not being able to work, and for struggling to cope with this condition. Many people in my circle of acquaintances and family just don’t understand how I feel or why I’m suffering so much.

It's reassuring to know that other tinnitus sufferers have also been unable to work for a time, as I see from your reply and your posts on Tinnitus Talk, all of which I’m reading right now! It gives me hope when you say that I can return to work when the time is right!
      Thank you for that. So, if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I shouldn't overexert myself despite my condition?

I've been doing a lot—walking, cycling, gardening—and as a result, I've lost quite a bit of weight since developing tinnitus. I also feel more exhausted than usual.

I've always had a tendency to get tired quickly, and I used to find strength and relaxation in silence, whether it was reading in peace, watching TV, or listening to music—activities that are no longer possible for me right now.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I advise you to take it one day at a time and not look for any expectations, as you will likely be disappointed if they do not come to fruition. Tinnitus can be very unpredictable in the early stages and beyond, so try to take things easy and relax.
      There is always hope. You are in the early stages of tinnitus, so you're putting pressure on yourself without realizing it. It is something that affects a lot of people who are new to tinnitus. Each person's tinnitus is unique to them because we are all different. The habituation process takes time and cannot be rushed. I advise you to print my threads on habituation and positivity. They are a form of counseling that can help you stay calm and relaxed. Tinnitus can have a profound effect on one's mental and emotional wellbeing, and therefore, it's important stress and anxiety are kept under control. Talk to your doctors if you ever feel that things are becoming too much.
      That is correct. You shouldn't overexert yourself. Take things slowly and at a steady pace.
      In time, you will be able to return to the things you like to do. Try to concentrate on the things you can do at the moment, take comfort in that, and not think about the things you can't do.

I wish you well,
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    5. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      If I understand correctly, your advice to tinnitus sufferers is to avoid keeping a journal where they record how loud the tinnitus is, how much it bothers them, and how it affects their mood each day. Is that right? That's exactly what I've been doing for the past six months.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please understand that the advice I offer at Tinnitus Talk is not absolute because everyone’s experience is different. What works for one person may not work for another. However, my advice is based on 28 years of experience living with noise-induced tinnitus. I have also counseled and corresponded with many individuals affected by noise-induced tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I recommend that people avoid keeping a journal to track how their tinnitus behaves, as this practice can often lead to focusing more on the condition. The intensity of tinnitus can vary significantly, especially for those who are new to it. Some days, they may feel like they're coping well and believe they have turned a corner, only to find the next day that their tinnitus has become more intrusive. This fluctuation can have a profound negative impact on a person’s mental and emotional well-being if not managed carefully. Remember, tinnitus is closely tied to our mental and emotional health and cannot be separated from it.

Instead, I suggest focusing on activities that distract from thinking about tinnitus. Take up a new hobby or interest. If possible, go out and socialize, even if just for a short while. I explained this in detail to a person I spoke with last Sunday, who is new to tinnitus. In her own words, she had become quite addicted to researching tinnitus and had come across a lot of negative information online, which isn't helpful.

On a positive note, she engaged with me for quite some time. From my experience speaking with others, I’m confident that in time, she will be just fine. She is now exploring other avenues as I suggested and has decided to stop focusing so much on her tinnitus.

All the best,
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes, it really seems that even after six months, I am still in the early stages of dealing with my tinnitus. I wish I were further along! However, what I often read here is that it takes patience and perseverance to learn how to cope with tinnitus. You also mention that the habituation process takes time and that there are no shortcuts.
      I really hope to feel better soon and be able to get back to the things I enjoy and truly want to do—not just for my sake, but also for the sake of my wife and children!
      Yes, that's exactly how I feel. Sometimes I have really good days, occasionally several in a row, and I think I'm well on my way to habituation. But then there are very bad days that feel truly devastating for me.
      I always think it might be helpful to track your progress and see from your notes whether there is a trend in the right direction. However, as I read in one of your threads, you’ll know you’ve reached habituation when the tinnitus either no longer bothers you or bothers you significantly less.
      Thank you for your encouragement and advice. It is usually helpful to talk to tinnitus counselors, other sufferers, and people who are already managing their tinnitus. Sharing experiences and learning what has helped others can make a big difference.

• Like Like x 1
    8. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm sorry for writing so often and so much, @Michael Leigh. I'm really struggling at the moment. The usual tips about distracting activities, which I've received from many people and have also read from you, aren't helping me this time. My tinnitus is so intrusive that, especially on bad days, I can always hear it. It's constantly annoying, and I can never block it out.

I can compare it to the tinnitus I had as a teenager. Back then, it stressed me out in the evenings and at night, and for a long time, I could only fall asleep with very loud music. But compared to today, I was at least able to sleep and sleep well. During the day, I could go about my usual activities—attending school, doing homework, and so on—so the tinnitus didn’t bother me much or at all. Over time, I noticed it less and less until it eventually disappeared completely after a few months or years.

Although it stressed me out back then, from today’s perspective, I can say it was much easier to cope with tinnitus, especially when it was drowned out by everyday noises or when I could block it out. That’s not the case with my tinnitus today. It’s rarely drowned out by everyday sounds, and I can only very rarely, if ever, block it out.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Don't worry about writing frequently—Tinnitus Talk is a support forum, after all. Tinnitus can be incredibly debilitating when it's severe, and it can feel almost impossible to block out the noise and carry on with daily activities to distract yourself. I understand how you're feeling right now and recommend that you talk to your GP/PCP and ENT doctor. Be open about your symptoms and how you're coping.

Your doctors might suggest adjusting or increasing your medication to help you manage the tinnitus more effectively. If you drink alcohol, I suggest trying a glass or two of wine in the evening for medicinal purposes. This has helped me a lot when my tinnitus becomes very intrusive, though it's just a suggestion.

Please talk to your doctors.

All the best,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. Lipshitz

Lipshitz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      People with severe tinnitus should continue working because the more they keep their mind occupied, the less they focus on the tinnitus. Obviously, this applies to tinnitus alone; I'm not referring to tinnitus combined with pain or loudness hyperacusis. The last thing someone with severe tinnitus should do is sit around all day, staring at the walls in their home or apartment, thinking and talking about it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have clearly never experienced severe, debilitating tinnitus; otherwise, you wouldn’t be speaking such nonsense. Many people have taken their own lives because they couldn’t cope with the constant cacophony of noise in their heads and ears. Some of these individuals were members of Tinnitus Talk.

I no longer wish to correspond with you, as I am disgusted by your attitude. If you contact me again, I will place you on ignore.

Michael Leigh

• Like Like x 2
    12. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      At first, that really freaked me out. However, I completely understand why you reacted the way you did to @Lipshitz's post. Sometimes I wonder about what gets posted here (and I don’t mean your posts, @Michael Leigh), even though this is called the *Tinnitus Talk Support Forum*.

I probably don’t need to justify myself to him or anyone else, but for the record, I don’t just stare at the wall all day. I go for walks, ride my bike, do housework and gardening, play with my children, help my wife, read, and do other things—within the limits of my condition. However, I currently don’t feel well enough to meet the demands of a highly skilled and responsible job.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can be mild, moderate, or severe. Some people with mild tinnitus have no idea it can reach severe levels until it happens to them.

Take care,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think my tinnitus is mild to moderate at best—but my reaction to it and my suffering are (still) severe.

• Hug Hug x 1