• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hyperacusis Was Improving — Then a Door Slammed Beside Me and Symptoms Are Now Back Worse

@Marc22 I apologize. I thought you were recommending consistent use of benzo, not intermittent. Infrequent usage is not generally a problem but there's a fine line that has to be walked with them.....that's why they can be dangerous.

I'm sorry about your depression. I completely understand as I have suffered from that greatly as well. I won't go into details of my ordeals, which has ultimately led me to this path. I hope you get some relief. This life is hard.

some doctors say, regarding anti-inflammatories, corticoids and benzos, that it is a matter of trial and error to find the ones that best suit you.

Any other important side effects of amitryptiline?
Just the tiredness and slight appetite increase. I've been taking them earlier in the evening which makes the "hangover effect" slightly less the next day, plus I'm told you do get more used to it over time.

@Earing I am thinking of ordering the Docs Proplugs because I think the foam kind have been irritating my ear canal too much. Do you get vented or unvented?
Get a pair of both. The clear are the musicians ones (vented) and the red ones are blocked. NRR 20dB and NRR 26dB respectively. They do require sizing, as there are about 6 different sizes. There is a sheet with some different sized ear openings that you hold up to your ear to get an idea. Better to get hold of a fitting kit. The kit has all the different sizes.

Keep in mind the -7 divided by 2 formula. So NRR 20dB is not 20dB off the noise, rather it is 20-7 /2 = 6.5dB reduction. The NRR 26dB are 26-7 / 2 = 9.5dB reduction.

Thanks - and you find them quite comfortable? More so than the ones that go into the ear? It's going to stink if I've paid $230 for musician earplugs and can't even wear them.....

Here is what Dan Malcore of the Hyperacusis Network has to say about the possible degrees of recovery for those with hyperacusis. He has more than 25 years experience dealing with hundreds of people with hyperacusis:

"I think the retraining TRT is the best thing we have right now. It is a therapy that is safe and effective. Because it is so conservative, it takes a long time to come back. In some rare cases, retraining brings a patient back nearly 100%. The network found that 91% of patients who completed retraining the average improvement was from 15-75%. For that reason alone I would never say retraining provides a complete recovery for everyone. However, it gave me my life back and I am grateful for that. I hope this is a story of hope for those who are going through the struggle of hyperacusis. When you get hyperacusis you have to be pro-active and not let this thing beat you, because it can if you let it. I believe it is pointless to put your faith in all kinds of other things like ginkgo biloba, chiropractic, and homeopathic treatments when we have something here that clearly will give you your life back. I think anything else at this point is a waste of valuable time and money. This therapy is so kind and gentle on the ears and deals with the problem head on. I believe there are two dimensions to hyperacusis. One, I think there is something that is physically wrong with our ears. Two, I think the way our brain processes sound has also been affected. The second part can be re-processed and our brain can be retrained to build our tolerance to sound. In time, I believe we will find the secret to the entire problem but this is the best we have for now. Go for it and get on with your life!"

Marco

Just the tiredness and slight appetite increase. I've been taking them earlier in the evening which makes the "hangover effect" slightly less the next day, plus I'm told you do get more used to it over time.

Ok, thanks! I have never tried that med.

Here is what Dan Malcore of the Hyperacusis Network has to say about the possible degrees of recovery for those with hyperacusis. He has more than 25 years experience dealing with hundreds of people with hyperacusis:

"I think the retraining TRT is the best thing we have right now. It is a therapy that is safe and effective. Because it is so conservative, it takes a long time to come back. In some rare cases, retraining brings a patient back nearly 100%. The network found that 91% of patients who completed retraining the average improvement was from 15-75%. For that reason alone I would never say retraining provides a complete recovery for everyone. However, it gave me my life back and I am grateful for that. I hope this is a story of hope for those who are going through the struggle of hyperacusis. When you get hyperacusis you have to be pro-active and not let this thing beat you, because it can if you let it. I believe it is pointless to put your faith in all kinds of other things like ginkgo biloba, chiropractic, and homeopathic treatments when we have something here that clearly will give you your life back. I think anything else at this point is a waste of valuable time and money. This therapy is so kind and gentle on the ears and deals with the problem head on. I believe there are two dimensions to hyperacusis. One, I think there is something that is physically wrong with our ears. Two, I think the way our brain processes sound has also been affected. The second part can be re-processed and our brain can be retrained to build our tolerance to sound. In time, I believe we will find the secret to the entire problem but this is the best we have for now. Go for it and get on with your life!"

Marco

Yeah I'm considering the TRT route, I just need to find an audiologist who does the service in Dublin. One question, does it involve listening to white noise for 8 hours a day ? I have read that a few places....

Yeah I'm considering the TRT route, I just need to find an audiologist who does the service in Dublin. One question, does it involve listening to white noise for 8 hours a day ? I have read that a few places....
My hyperacusis is in remission now, my sound tolerance is so much better. I exercise every day and eat healthy food, I also live with noisy children. I don't think I could wear a device for 8 hours a day, although many people have had tremendous success with this therapy. Avoid salt, sugar, exercise. See what happens, it takes a time. Sorry you got it, it's fucking more destructive than tinnitus. Good luck Lionel

My hyperacusis is in remission now, my sound tolerance is so much better. I exercise every day and eat healthy food, I also live with noisy children. I don't think I could wear a device for 8 hours a day, although many people have had tremendous success with this therapy. Avoid salt, sugar, exercise. See what happens, it takes a time. Sorry you got it, it's fucking more destructive than tinnitus. Good luck Lionel

Yeah gave up the salt and sugar for the most part and running maybe 3 times a week.... had to give up lifting weights, gives me pains in the right side of the head and causes a kind of pressure. My ent reckons this agitates some nerve or puts stress on the middle ear...

I have stopped making music which might be the worst part of all this, but I think I need to figure out how to start making music again at low volumes for the sake of my mental health....

Yeah gave up the salt and sugar for the most part and running maybe 3 times a week.... had to give up lifting weights, gives me pains in the right side of the head and causes a kind of pressure. My ent reckons this agitates some nerve or puts stress on the middle ear...

I have stopped making music which might be the worst part of all this, but I think I need to figure out how to start making music again at low volumes for the sake of my mental health....
Yah, don't mess with the weights too much, especially if it's causing you pain. I am a sculptor, and since my trauma, I haven't really made any art. I made art everyday, lived and breathed it for 35 years. I am gonna get it back, I am about to bust loose again in mediums that won't hurt me.

My best friend in the States is a pianist, I hadn't been home in ages and when I saw him he told me he couldn't play anymore. I was shocked. He then told me he is composing and is more prolific than ever.

Lionel, just take baby steps now. Don't fuck yourself up like I did. Walk everyday, you're young, it will center you and help you with sleep. I think in time you will be able to create music again, at low volumes. Try acoustic instruments or the keyboard at very soft settings. If it doesn't hurt, keep going, just don't thrash.

Hyperacusis is really weird, and there are a lot of folks here who are smarter, or more knowledgeable than me. What I did find was diet and exercise are crucial. Drugs if the shit completely hits the fan. And oddly enough, finding a balance of protecting , but not over protecting. It's weird, but overprotection makes your ears more sensitive. I do carry foam plugs always and have a set of earmuffs in the car and at home for emergencies.

The first six to eight months, I found hibernating, avoiding noise, and giving my ears a chance to heal really helpful.

I don't think I'll ever be free of this, but have noticed that when somebody drops a pan, I don't freak out. I have gotten better.

Odds are your gonna get better too, for sure. Be patient. Reach out to your loved ones and have faith. Take care buddy and keep posting , I'll be super stoked to know your getting better.

BENZOMOM:

Let me clarify my suggestion for benzo use for hyperacusis. I only used them when I was in a bad setback, to get a bit of relief. But during the time of the setback, I would use them almost everyday. Then when the setback would go naturally away, which sometimes took months, I would no longer use them. Even after use for many months, I never experienced side effects (well... mild grogginess) or withdrawal symptoms. So it was a combination of BOTH intermittent and consistent use. Then I would accumulate a stash for any future setback, and I would have loads of pills, but never used them.

Since about a year I have hardly used them for my ears, but I have been using them practically every 2 days for some bad anxiety which has emerged for the first time in my life, due to many personal traumas. I respect those who wish to avoid all drugs but I WANT my 2-3 little beer cans a day, and 2mg clonazepam every second day. And I will use them.I would probably even take more but my doctor cut me down from 60 .5 mg every 2 weeks to 28, so I have to just bear with the anxiety every second day or drink an additional 2-3 beers to take the edge off. When you are constantly facing the specters of homelessness, being broke, deep loneliness, a mentally ill roommate, a 94 old mother in a nursing home wasting away, a recent breakup with a pretty and hot female friend, and mild suicidal thoughts... all this without any real support from ANYONE here, I am sorry but warnings about withdrawal symptoms, and possible liver damage (my liver is OK) just do NOT cut it! The pills and the booze are my only relief. If I really had someone to talk to, that would help immensely, but there is no one trustworthy around, except perhaps possibly a new friend, but he is away at his country home a lot, to which he has invited me, but I cannot go due to the hyperacusis. So do you get my drift about my situation and attitude?

LIONEL:

I do not remember how many hours a day it takes to do TRT properly, but certainly someone here must know, or contact The Hyperacusis Network. By the way, the latter has a list of TRT practitioners around the world. If there is nobody in Ireland, there are surely in London. But you may not be able to make the trip right now. Give your ears time to rest. BTW, what kind of music did you like to play?

Regarding musicians, and their particular anguish, I suppose, of losing what they love so much, see the Success Stories on the Hyperacusis Network. Lots of musicians share their stories of great recovery to be able to play once again. Some only at a low level, and one composer actually conducted a symphony orchestra he got so much better! Although I am not a musician, I REALLY miss music a lot because I have no really good sound system from which I think I could listen at least for a while. Cheap tinny speakers from smartphones or from this computer`s speakers KILL my ears real quick! Many years ago I used to go to a friend`s place to listen to a lot of jazz, and I miss it (musicians like Pat Metheny, Alice Coltrane, Miles Davis etc.). But this friend died, so no music for now. What a loss!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
Ludwig van Beethoven

Marco

BENZOMOM:

Let me clarify my suggestion for benzo use for hyperacusis. I only used them when I was in a bad setback, to get a bit of relief. But during the time of the setback, I would use them almost everyday. Then when the setback would go naturally away, which sometimes took months, I would no longer use them. Even after use for many months, I never experienced side effects (well... mild grogginess) or withdrawal symptoms. So it was a combination of BOTH intermittent and consistent use. Then I would accumulate a stash for any future setback, and I would have loads of pills, but never used them.

Since about a year I have hardly used them for my ears, but I have been using them practically every 2 days for some bad anxiety which has emerged for the first time in my life, due to many personal traumas. I respect those who wish to avoid all drugs but I WANT my 2-3 little beer cans a day, and 2mg clonazepam every second day. And I will use them.I would probably even take more but my doctor cut me down from 60 .5 mg every 2 weeks to 28, so I have to just bear with the anxiety every second day or drink an additional 2-3 beers to take the edge off. When you are constantly facing the specters of homelessness, being broke, deep loneliness, a mentally ill roommate, a 94 old mother in a nursing home wasting away, a recent breakup with a pretty and hot female friend, and mild suicidal thoughts... all this without any real support from ANYONE here, I am sorry but warnings about withdrawal symptoms, and possible liver damage (my liver is OK) just do NOT cut it! The pills and the booze are my only relief. If I really had someone to talk to, that would help immensely, but there is no one trustworthy around, except perhaps possibly a new friend, but he is away at his country home a lot, to which he has invited me, but I cannot go due to the hyperacusis. So do you get my drift about my situation and attitude?

LIONEL:

I do not remember how many hours a day it takes to do TRT properly, but certainly someone here must know, or contact The Hyperacusis Network. By the way, the latter has a list of TRT practitioners around the world. If there is nobody in Ireland, there are surely in London. But you may not be able to make the trip right now. Give your ears time to rest. BTW, what kind of music did you like to play?

Regarding musicians, and their particular anguish, I suppose, of losing what they love so much, see the Success Stories on the Hyperacusis Network. Lots of musicians share their stories of great recovery to be able to play once again. Some only at a low level, and one composer actually conducted a symphony orchestra he got so much better! Although I am not a musician, I REALLY miss music a lot because I have no really good sound system from which I think I could listen at least for a while. Cheap tinny speakers from smartphones or from this computer`s speakers KILL my ears real quick! Many years ago I used to go to a friend`s place to listen to a lot of jazz, and I miss it (musicians like Pat Metheny, Alice Coltrane, Miles Davis etc.). But this friend died, so no music for now. What a loss!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
Ludwig van Beethoven

Marco

Yeah I make electronic music... I (did) wear headphones when making music... I'm fairly sure thats what did the damage to my ears.... I play an upright piano but it sounds really harsh on my ears... I'm not sure what dB a piano is but it's relatively loud. Started playing it with earplugs and it's ok on the ears, though you loose some of the nice tones that you only get with a real piano as opposed to a digital one. My audiologist said to play the piano even if it sounds harsh, just "power through" but I'm not sure if this is wise, I get ear fullness quite easy at the moment.
In the next few months I'm going to get studio speakers for music production, I will see if working on music at a low volume will be ok the ears.

My hyperacusis was improving over the last two months. I've had it since start of the summer. I was noticing my ears were less sensitive and not feeling full... and then a door slammed beside me on Wednesday...

Fullness is back, sensitivity to sounds is high, ears are cracking and popping, pains on the sides of the head... And tinnitus is louder...

Did I now lose all the recovery I made over the last two months? Back to square one?
Did your sound levels ever recover after this? I know it's an old post.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now