• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

I Consider Myself Healed from Reactive Tinnitus and Hyperacusis by Calming Down My Nervous System

OnlyUP

Author
Apr 24, 2022
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
noise induced
The following is how I healed, though I do not suggest it for everyone, especially people who are not motivated to heal without any sort of medical interventions.

I healed by calming down my nervous system. It took a lot of "work," but luckily there are so many great podcasts and online resources that whenever I got off course I could bring myself right back. I only rarely have tinnitus now, and I can always identify the source, which is always related to stress or internal conflict, for me. It doesn't bother me when it does come up, it just reminds me that I may not be living in alignment with what I actually want or feel. Working with my nervous system has given me a confidence I've never had before and I am loving my life in a way I never knew possible.

I have posted on Tinnitus Talk before. I had reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis that had me wearing earmuffs around my house for months. I consider myself totally healed today.

Can you give us more details please? Is it still loud and intrusive?
Not loud or intrusive. A lot of the time I hear silence. My reactive chirp hardly ever comes on, and when it does it's because I am stressed and it goes away quickly.

Whenever I do something, I don't care at all and continue on about my business and it goes away. It took two years to get here but it was worth every second.

I researched nervous system regulation and neuroplasticity for chronic pain and went from there.

Not loud or intrusive. A lot of the time I hear silence. My reactive chirp hardly ever comes on, and when it does it's because I am stressed and it goes away quickly.

Whenever I do something, I don't care at all and continue on about my business and it goes away. It took two years to get here but it was worth every second.

I researched nervous system regulation and neuroplasticity for chronic pain and went from there.
Thanks for your response. Do you believe the TRT also helped you? Was your tinnitus loud and chronic before? I am happy for your recovery.

Thanks for your response. Do you believe the TRT also helped you? Was your tinnitus loud and chronic before? I am happy for your recovery.
I think the TRT helped my confidence for a while, and I also had background noise machines for the house. It was definitely sort of like a "crutch" for a while, and in any setbacks I've had the noise machines in the house do help.

Overall though, nervous system regulation and finding more emotional stability were where the healing happened for me, but the crutches along the way did help when it was "bad."

Yes, my tinnitus was chronic and also ever-changing. I had a beep in my left ear that was reactive to most sounds when it was really "revved up." The other ear also did some weird stuff on and off, but for the acute period it was really loud constant tinnitus too.

I have learned that it really doesn't matter what I was hearing; all those things were just an alarm that things weren't right within my system.

I should mention that I have also kicked a lot of other pains I had before through healing the nervous system and finding emotional stability: wrist pain since age 12, hip pain since 2020, and low back pain that was very frequent over many years. My body feels so good now.

I think the TRT helped my confidence for a while, and I also had background noise machines for the house. It was definitely sort of like a "crutch" for a while, and in any setbacks I've had the noise machines in the house do help.

Overall though, nervous system regulation and finding more emotional stability were where the healing happened for me, but the crutches along the way did help when it was "bad."

Yes, my tinnitus was chronic and also ever-changing. I had a beep in my left ear that was reactive to most sounds when it was really "revved up." The other ear also did some weird stuff on and off, but for the acute period it was really loud constant tinnitus too.

I have learned that it really doesn't matter what I was hearing; all those things were just an alarm that things weren't right within my system.

I should mention that I have also kicked a lot of other pains I had before through healing the nervous system and finding emotional stability: wrist pain since age 12, hip pain since 2020, and low back pain that was very frequent over many years. My body feels so good now.
Totally thrilled for you. I know of someone who told me she did brain retraining and listened to white noise and her tinnius went away.

Can you please go into little bit of detail as to how you retrained your nervous system?

Can you please go into little bit of detail as to how you retrained your nervous system?
The first (and biggest) piece for me was listening to a lot of testimonials of people who healed themselves from all kinds of crazy and intense chronic issues. I first began doing that through the Curable app, which put me on to a lot of other mind/body podcasts that offered so many more examples and information. Once I gained confidence that my issue was not physical, but emotional, through those success stories, I started working really hard to notice feelings (symptoms, anxiety, disease) within my own body through a lens of curiosity rather than judgment. This was a really hard corner to turn, but practice made perfect. Whenever my whacky symptoms came up, I would get curious about why they did, rather than labeling them as awful or inescapable. That was super important - to always remind myself that it was temporary. Then, I would try to continue on about my task/day as best I could. Over time, it got easier and better! My brain learned, I think, that they weren't a threat. I also learned so much about myself - what kinds of situations I actually like, what kinds I don't, etc. What makes me feel better (deep breathing, resting, setting boundaries, good sleep, optimism) and what makes me feel worse (uncertainty, conflict, overextending myself, negativity, gossip, perfectionism).

It has been the journey of a lifetime and one that I would never change, even though it was pretty tough. I hope this helps.

The first (and biggest) piece for me was listening to a lot of testimonials of people who healed themselves from all kinds of crazy and intense chronic issues. I first began doing that through the Curable app, which put me on to a lot of other mind/body podcasts that offered so many more examples and information.
So happy to read about your success. After you bought the Curable app, did you learn about the other mind/body podcasts through the app? Or, did you find them on your own through an online search?

So happy to read about your success. After you bought the Curable app, did you learn about the other mind/body podcasts through the app? Or, did you find them on your own through an online search?
The podcasts featured on the Curable app are public actually. I listened to Tell Me About Your Pain and Like Mind, Like Body. I think they interviewed a lot of coaches/experts on there and that's how I found others. Nicole Sachs' podcast, The Cure for Chronic Pain has been of utmost help.

The podcasts featured on the Curable app are public actually. I listened to Tell Me About Your Pain and Like Mind, Like Body. I think they interviewed a lot of coaches/experts on there and that's how I found others. Nicole Sachs' podcast, The Cure for Chronic Pain has been of utmost help.
Thank you! I really appreciate the information you provided. Since I experienced tinnitus at a challenging and stressful time, when you mentioned "calming the nervous system," it resonated with me. I have to admit though, the way I experience tinnitus is a challenge to the central nervous system. I am hoping to change that by learning from the information you shared. Thank you again!

I agree with @AnthonyMcDonald. I think tinnitus tends to take its path, regardless.

I also agree with @gameover who started the TPP (Time, Protection, Patience) method as 'THE' way to reduce tinnitus.

You can do what you want inbetween these things; get TRT, get CBT, get councelling, write a book, learn how to say the alphabet backwards, become a Buddhist etc, you get the picture.

What's going to happen is going to happen.

As long as you protect your ears from loud sounds and let time pass, that IS the best chance of SOLUTION to your tinnitus problem.

I am absolutely in no doubt about that.

The following is how I healed, though I do not suggest it for everyone, especially people who are not motivated to heal without any sort of medical interventions.

I healed by calming down my nervous system. It took a lot of "work," but luckily there are so many great podcasts and online resources that whenever I got off course I could bring myself right back. I only rarely have tinnitus now, and I can always identify the source, which is always related to stress or internal conflict, for me. It doesn't bother me when it does come up, it just reminds me that I may not be living in alignment with what I actually want or feel. Working with my nervous system has given me a confidence I've never had before and I am loving my life in a way I never knew possible.

I have posted on Tinnitus Talk before. I had reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis that had me wearing earmuffs around my house for months. I consider myself totally healed today.
I am so happy to read about your healing and hard work, @OnlyUP! Whether anyone wants to agree with you or not that what you did regarding working on your nervous system and retraining your brain had a direct correlation and/or objective benefit on your condition(s) is up to them, but no one can argue that the work you did is easy and "nothing". I've been doing it and it is not easy. @Marin did it and it was not easy. Kudos, girly. I'm so happy for you and your family, I know you're a mom so this allows you to really enjoy your little one the way you deserve! :)

Maybe rather than take away from @OnlyUP's experience, maybe a gentlemanly thing to say is "you know I don't think I will ever be a believer in this take, but good on you spending your time improving your mindset and mental and emotional health as well all know time, patience, and protection can take quite the mental and emotional toll, and now with much improved conditions that you considered healed. Congrats and wish you the best".

Just a kind, neutral thought!

Wow, what an amazing recovery - thanks so much for sharing! I, too, recently discovered a lot of the same mind-body material you did & have found it to be helpful so far as well. In my case, I did have an acoustic injury & I believe that there is a strong physical injury component there that I need to consider, but starting to do the mind-body work has been undoubtedly beneficial for me. I wish you all the best moving forward!

P.S. Did you purchase the Curable app? I've gone through all of the free material & am wondering whether the purchase is worth it given all of the other free material out there.

Can I ask how your tinnitus came about - was it stress-induced, or was it through an acoustic trauma?

Did you experience hearing loss, or has your hearing always been good?

@OnlyUP, can I ask a question, please?

I have reactive tinnitus that responds to all sounds, along with hyperacusis. I believe in the mind-body connection. How can I stop automatic thoughts? I have hundreds each day. My main thought is that this will never stop. Being housebound makes it hard to stay positive. Any tips are welcome. Thanks!

@OnlyUP, can I ask a question, please?

I have reactive tinnitus that responds to all sounds, along with hyperacusis. I believe in the mind-body connection. How can I stop automatic thoughts? I have hundreds each day. My main thought is that this will never stop. Being housebound makes it hard to stay positive. Any tips are welcome. Thanks!
I haven't logged in for quite some time because I am still 100% healed and healthy from this condition, and my confidence in it being a mind-body issue has only grown stronger. I wanted to check in to see if there are people who have commented on this post and might need some reassurance.

You can absolutely change your thoughts—I did. It took me a long time, but it worked, and to put it simply, my life is amazing now. I have a confidence and certainty that I've never had before. I leaned in hard to the mind-body resources that I've already mentioned, and I refuse to let negative thoughts consume me anymore. The content of those thoughts just isn't real. Keep the faith and change the narrative you're playing on repeat.

My old narrative was: "My tinnitus is worse than anyone else's, I can't get through this, I want to die, my life's a struggle," and so on. Step one for me was to change those narratives, even just the tiniest bit, like: "This is not ideal, but I made it through yesterday," "I'd love for my tinnitus to be quieter, but I'm still here," "So what if my ear is making crazy sounds?" or "So what if things sound really loud—I know they're not."

A big ship has to be steered ever so slowly to change its course.

P.S. Now that my brain doesn't worry about tinnitus or sounds anymore, I randomly got my first ocular migraine the other day in a meeting (I'm 38!). I laughed out loud—same stuff, different shovel. It went away quickly, and I was fine. My family and I are preparing for a big move in a few months, and I know it's got my nervous system on higher alert, as I have worries about the unknown.

I haven't logged in for quite some time because I am still 100% healed and healthy from this condition, and my confidence in it being a mind-body issue has only grown stronger. I wanted to check in to see if there are people who have commented on this post and might need some reassurance.

You can absolutely change your thoughts—I did. It took me a long time, but it worked, and to put it simply, my life is amazing now. I have a confidence and certainty that I've never had before. I leaned in hard to the mind-body resources that I've already mentioned, and I refuse to let negative thoughts consume me anymore. The content of those thoughts just isn't real. Keep the faith and change the narrative you're playing on repeat.

My old narrative was: "My tinnitus is worse than anyone else's, I can't get through this, I want to die, my life's a struggle," and so on. Step one for me was to change those narratives, even just the tiniest bit, like: "This is not ideal, but I made it through yesterday," "I'd love for my tinnitus to be quieter, but I'm still here," "So what if my ear is making crazy sounds?" or "So what if things sound really loud—I know they're not."

A big ship has to be steered ever so slowly to change its course.

P.S. Now that my brain doesn't worry about tinnitus or sounds anymore, I randomly got my first ocular migraine the other day in a meeting (I'm 38!). I laughed out loud—same stuff, different shovel. It went away quickly, and I was fine. My family and I are preparing for a big move in a few months, and I know it's got my nervous system on higher alert, as I have worries about the unknown.
Thank you so much for your help. I know you did EMDR as well. Did you do it through Zoom? Can you recommend the person you worked with?

Your story sounds very similar to mine (though yours is better! :)).

For me, managing my tinnitus began with understanding it. I learned that, although it was bothersome, it was harmless—I wasn't going to die, become deaf, or develop some other disease.

The next step involved trying DIY Notched Music therapy, which worked wonders for me.

The third step was embracing my tinnitus. This may sound strange, but once I realized that stress was a major trigger, I focused on reducing that stress. It's similar to truly forgiving someone who has wronged you; letting go is a huge step forward.

Finally, I realized I could use my tinnitus to my advantage, treating it as a signal that I was stressed. This awareness helped me manage my stress more effectively—I could step back from work or other obligations before my stress levels became too high.

Unfortunately, this past year has brought a great deal of stress due to circumstances beyond my control, and I'm still struggling to cope. But I'm working on it.

I hope this helps someone! :)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now