I'm a Musician from Sweden, Tinnitus Since 2014

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BeepBeep, Sep 16, 2024 at 3:57 PM.

1. BeepBeep

BeepBeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/loud noise
      Hello everyone,

I'm a musician based in Sweden, and I've had tinnitus since 2014. I've been lurking here for a while, and it occurred to me that I should sign up to offer any advice that might be helpful. That’s all!

• Like Like x 1
    2. 2049v

2049v Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones/NIHL/Acustic Trauma
      Hello and welcome. Could you share what event caused your tinnitus? Did it start suddenly or gradually? How would you describe its severity, frequency, and type? Do you hear it all the time, or only in certain places? Did you receive any early treatments? I would appreciate your response. Thank you!

3. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello! Have you received any treatments that have improved your condition?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BeepBeep

BeepBeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/loud noise
      Hello!

A big metal thing fell on another similarly sized metal object, and ever since, I've had high-pitched tinnitus. I hear it almost all the time, but it’s not severe, and I’ve largely habituated to it over the years. However, it's become more noticeable now that I have a lot of free time. I made it worse once by ignoring the rule, "If it feels slightly too loud, it is," which kind of strained my hearing. Thankfully, it returned to normal after a long time, and I’ve been super vigilant since then.

Earplugs are a must in loud environments—no exceptions—and I always mix music at a low volume. I also use a treble filter on tracks when applicable, and I reduce a lot of treble when listening to music with headphones or in-ear monitors. This workaround has worked well for me.

I haven’t tried any particular treatments. I know many people have it much worse than I do. I thought I could share some tips and tricks that have allowed me to continue playing and recording music. I’ve been through a few spikes, which were beyond scary, so if I can help someone by sharing my experience, I’m happy to do so. It’s not groundbreaking advice, but who knows—it might help someone out there.

• Like Like x 1