Increasing Pulsatile Tinnitus 6 Months After Onset of Regular Tinnitus — Dangerous Symptom? MRI Useful?

Varda

Author
Mar 18, 2024
www.facebook.com
Tinnitus Since
03/2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Azithromycin Z-pack
Ever since I developed tinnitus from taking Azithromycin, I've noticed a sound in my left ear that resembles a faint drone or the hum of a ventilation shaft.

As far back as I can remember, even before I had tinnitus, I would occasionally hear pulsatile sounds of blood rushing or whooshing, especially after standing up, lying down, or exercising. I assumed these sounds were normal and never paid much attention to them. However, in the past few months, I've noticed that these blood flow sounds are more easily triggered and last longer, particularly in my left ear, where the droning, ventilation-like tinnitus has been growing louder.

If I go to a doctor, they'll likely recommend an MRI, but I've heard many stories about MRIs permanently worsening tinnitus. What treatable conditions could an MRI potentially reveal? Arteriosclerosis? Aneurysms?

The blood-sooshing sound hasn't really bothered me, but I wonder if it could indicate something serious and treatable. It seems like too much of a coincidence that I would develop a pulmonary issue just seven months after the macrolide damaged my cochlea and caused my tinnitus. It's more likely that I'm just hyper-aware of benign ear noises since my tinnitus began.

I really dislike the mechanical drone sound and don't want it to get any louder. The drone sound's intensity seems to correlate with the pulsatile tinnitus, and they both affect the same ear.

At this point, I'm leaning towards assuming they wouldn't find anything treatable, and the noise from the MRI would only worsen my tinnitus, so I'm considering ignoring it altogether.

I found an imaging clinic specializing in ear issues, but it's very popular, so getting an appointment is challenging. If I manage to get a consultation, I'll mention that I'm open to a contrast-free CT or ultrasound, though I doubt these tests would reveal anything useful.

I'd appreciate anyone's knowledge or insights, especially if you've dealt with conditions like arteriosclerosis or aneurysms.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now