Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Okay, so they claim to have a drug for T out on the market in 2-3 years? What phase is this drug in now? What type of drug is it? I'm very skeptic to that information.
I don't know, but I guess they mean they will start clinical trial in 2-3 years, I'm mot aware of another drug than the PhaseIII trial from Auris....

They say it is this is a new finding: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/306257.php?tw

quote.
"Understanding the estrogen-sensitive molecular networks specific to hearing offers an unprecedented new target for the control of the estrogen signalling pathway in the auditory system that could prevent or reverse progressive hearing loss."
End quote.

Me neither. And @Nick Pyzik did not post any source to this statement either. I went to their website and couldnt find anything T related at all.
Sorry lapidus I forgot to answer you back. I have issues with my short term memory now because of my hearing and I was supposed to answer back yesterday.

Do you want me to send you the back and forth emails I had with one of their employees through the inbox conversations or do you think it'd be safe to just post screenshots of them through this thread?

I'm afraid there could be privacy issues or what not. Want me to send them to you through inbox?

yes I think Nick is right, we shouldn't publish private e-mails, especially not from any researchers or companies, otherwise they won't communicate anymore to personal e-mails.

yes I think Nick is right, we shouldn't publish private e-mails, especially not from any researchers or companies, otherwise they won't communicate anymore to personal e-mails.
I probably shouldn't have even said their name......

Sorry lapidus I forgot to answer you back. I have issues with my short term memory now because of my hearing and I was supposed to answer back yesterday.

Do you want me to send you the back and forth emails I had with one of their employees through the inbox conversations or do you think it'd be safe to just post screenshots of them through this thread?

Sorry, forgot that you said that it was in an e-mail conversation. Yeah, than maybe we should respect the privacy and not post them publicly. You could print screen and send to me in a PM if you feel like it though. Just found it odd that they claim to have a drug out on the market for T in 2-3 years when we have heard nothing about any clinial trials and they don't even mention tinitus on their website.

BTW, if they do develop the ability to regrow and implant hair cells and/or stem cells for the auditory nerve wouldn't we have to supply our DNA in order to make sure they are compatible with our bodies? So basically what I'm saying is the docs would have to take a sample from us and grow each of us our own personal stem cells before implantation, correct? Or is there such a thing as "generic" stem cells that could be grown en masse for use across the board for everyone?

If you do a search on the internet, there are numerous recent developments regarding "making stem cells"
I understand, after reading some recent documents, that reverting your cells to stem cells is getting less complicated all the time. I don't want to belittle this process, but progress is made there too.

Have a look at this document.
Making stem cells from skin: http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/stemcells-2.pdf

BTW, if they do develop the ability to regrow and implant hair cells and/or stem cells for the auditory nerve wouldn't we have to supply our DNA in order to make sure they are compatible with our bodies? So basically what I'm saying is the docs would have to take a sample from us and grow each of us our own personal stem cells before implantation, correct? Or is there such a thing as "generic" stem cells that could be grown en masse for use across the board for everyone?
I believe either route could work. I'd have to read up more on that. A safer route would be using our own personal stem cells which then could be differentiated into neurons to be transplanted into the auditory portion where the auditory nerve and such are. I'm not 100% sure though.

I believe either route could work. I'd have to read up more on that. A safer route would be using our own personal stem cells which then could be differentiated into neurons to be transplanted into the auditory portion where the auditory nerve and such are. I'm not 100% sure though.

Yes, it would probably be best to use our own stem cells/DNA so as to avoid the possibility of rejection once implanted.

Hum...seems to be far far away... Are there some progress in stem cells to target cochlea (hearing loss/ears/tinnitus/hyperacusis) since ATEOS et Fernando went to Thailand for different injections ?

Is the Hough Ear Institute a legitimate organisation? I can remember being quite synical of their bold yet very unspecific claims about 6 months ago. And just now when I tried to find their website, I got taken to a very dodgy site. Has anyone else tried to access it?

Is the Hough Ear Institute a legitimate organisation? I can remember being quite synical of their bold yet very unspecific claims about 6 months ago. And just now when I tried to find their website, I got taken to a very dodgy site that was certainly not about hearing research. Has anyone else tried to access it?
Are you sure you went to the right website? http://houghear.org/

They seem very confident in their research. It's just my emailing back and forth with one of their employees seem very strange yet could of possibly been real at the same time. It's just hard to tell. If true, very exciting.

Are you sure you went to the right website? http://houghear.org/

They seem very confident in their research. It's just my emailing back and forth with one of their employees seem very strange yet could of possibly been real at the same time. It's just hard to tell. If true, very exciting.

Have others accessed this website okay? As I say, when I went on it just now, it came up with a lot of pop ups which seemed like fraudsters/viruses. Not too keen on clicking on it again.

Maybe that was just random, or maybe I clicked on the wrong site accidentally. Seems very strange though.

Apologies if I'm being too synical. Am I right, however, that they are not part of the Hearing Restoration Project/Hearing Health Foundation? If they were a legitimate and reliable organisation that genuinely were close to a cure, I would have thought that they would be part of this??

Have others accessed this website okay? As I say, when I went on it just now, it came up with a lot of pop ups which seemed like fraudsters/viruses. Not to keen on clicking on it again.

Maybe that was just random, or maybe I clicked on the wrong site accidentally. Seems very strange though.

Apologies if I'm being too synical. Am I right, however, that they are not part of the Hearing Restoration Project/Hearing Health Foundation? If they were a legitimate and reliable organisation that genuinely were close to a cure, I would have thought that they would be part of this??
Yes I just visited the site and it seems to be working fine and how it looked in the past months I visited it. I believe this organization is much more localized and on it's own. I can send you the email I had with them through the message/conversation area of this site if you want.

Ok thanks! Apologies for the false alarm in that case.
Yes I just visited the site and it seems to be working fine and how it looked in the past months I visited it. I believe this organization is much more localized and on it's own. I can send you the email I had with them through the message/conversation area of this site if you want.
That would be great if you could please! Thanks.

They definitely a known entity, but there's not much evidence of recent productivity on their web site. The last publication listed is from 2013, and the last grants are also from 2013. If these are up to date, it would explain the 85% drop in government funding. Their 2016 "Letter from the CEO" talks about recently completed Phase 1 trials for a "hearing loss pill", but there is nothing on clinicaltrials.gov (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Hough+Ear+Institute&Search=Search) about such trials - unless the trials were conducted through another entity. There's a "research update" on the "hearing loss pill" from June 2015 (http://houghear.org/noise-induced-hearing-loss-pill-update-infographic/) that doesn't provide any concrete information (e.g., a publication) but does ask for money.

There could be great things happening that just aren't making it to the web site due to limited funding being used for research rather than web updates.

They definitely a known entity, but there's not much evidence of recent productivity on their web site. The last publication listed is from 2013, and the last grants are also from 2013. If these are up to date, it would explain the 85% drop in government funding. Their 2016 "Letter from the CEO" talks about recently completed Phase 1 trials for a "hearing loss pill", but there is nothing on clinicaltrials.gov (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Hough+Ear+Institute&Search=Search) about such trials - unless the trials were conducted through another entity. There's a "research update" on the "hearing loss pill" from June 2015 (http://houghear.org/noise-induced-hearing-loss-pill-update-infographic/) that doesn't provide any concrete information (e.g., a publication) but does ask for money.

There could be great things happening that just aren't making it to the web site due to limited funding being used for research rather than web updates.
Yeah it's very non professional. It's just hard to follow the progress being made. Maybe they had the tests done in their own laboratory in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The way they responded to me in their email made it sound like they are doing their own thing and that they are not part of any other programs. I just don't know what to think of it.

Could it be that, if a company is close to a important development or even "breakthrough", they want to keep it close to their chest (I believe this is the expression used in the English language?). They are protecting their investment.
I know, opportunistic and wishful thinking perhaps on my part.:)

Could it be that, if a company is close to a important development or even "breakthrough", they want to keep it close to their chest (I believe this is the expression used in the English language?). They are protecting their investment.
I know, opportunistic and wishful thinking perhaps on my part.:)
That would be awesome, however in this case I doubt it. The reason I say this is because as stated earlier, they claim to have lost or are losing 85% of their government grants for research, so I would imagine if they had something special they'd publish it to have a better chance at receiving private funding.

Am I right, however, that they are not part of the Hearing Restoration Project/Hearing Health Foundation?
As far as I know they are not. I would love it if all of science in this field would get together. This is what Hearing Health Foundation is trying to do. But I suppose this is not the way we organised this world. Money has to be made.

I agree with @Bertman. I doubt it too. Also we need multiple "breakthroughs" in a field this complicated.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now