• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

What strike me is that the compounds used to regenerate these cells so far are largely safe. For those who know, it's mostly anti tgfb1, wnt activator, hdac inhibitor and the like.

For god sake it is safe, so why waiting this long :frustration:

If you were to have it done and you grew man titties and a vagina would you complain?....... I wouldn't

What strike me is that the compounds used to regenerate these cells so far are largely safe. For those who know, it's mostly anti tgfb1, wnt activator, hdac inhibitor and the like

For god sake it is safe, so why waiting this long :frustration:

It's more to see how much of the drug reaches the cochlea

Guys...and girls.....

I don't want to sound pessimistic but there is actual no theory presented by scientists / researchers etc to demonstrate how this will actually help tinnitus. Sure, for those who have a noticeable hearing loss will be able to pick up external sounds easily MASKING the tinnitus, but there is not one theory presented by any of them that regeneration will actually cause an actual decrease or remove the tinnitus.

Man nobody know anything we can speculate whether it helps or not till the cows come home how about we wait and see and appreciate that at least there's any kind of research going on

Yeah it might fail it might succeed

You just have to eat one "bomb-blast pill" in a few years

I'm very curious to learn how many synaptic connection form with this pill. Also probably the most important unknown is if there is a saturation point where further pill ingestion does not lead to more synaptic regeneration. If no saturation point exists then it doesn't matter if its only weakly effective with one dose; over time one could reverse a lot of damage. I think I've said before that synaptic regeneration especially via an oral drug should be extremely exciting for everyone with an degree of NIHL.

If your own hearing sensitivity "masks the tinnitus" how is that different then not having tinnitus.

It's different because you don't always have external noise to mask T (when you go to sleep for ex), and it doesn't work well if your T is intrusive.
Ask the many folks who have "perfect hearing" (i.e. perfect enough to mask well), and still complain about T. Clearly masking isn't working that well for them.

The big question - that we have no answer to - is whether hearing restoration will trigger the reverse neuroplasticity changes that happened at T onset (for the types of T that are thought of being triggered by such maladaptive plasticity), such that the T actually disappears. Not masked, just disappear (as a stimulus).
There is some logic behind the thought that it would reasonably happen, but we have no data.

This is what I am getting at with what Greg Mentions ^^^^^

It would be interesting to see the "professionals" opinions on this to what they think because from what I see it is just plain speculation from sufferers with little or no scientific knowledge.

I have sent nurerous emails asking for researchers opinions but got no reply. I have crawled through all the journals and videos and it is barely talked about.

The only hope I can see regeneration giving is to people with substantial hearing loss enough to be noticeable that causes them an actual problem.

Many, many of us here have a unnoticeable hearing loss in the higher frequencies and we would probably not pursue a hair cell regeneration if it would def not diminish tinnitus.

I'm sorry to sound negative, but looking at the available data I can is that while hair cell regeneration looks promising, I'm not holding my breath for a reduction in tinnitus or a cure.

I don't think other avenues to treat tinnitus in the brain should be neglected if hair cell regenerations become the thing.

A little look at some of TT members opinions

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/would-hair-cell-regeneration-solve-tinnitus.23562/

The only hope I can see regeneration giving is to people with substantial hearing loss enough to be noticeable that causes them an actual problem.
There is no evidence for you to draw this conclusion.
Many, many of us here have a unnoticeable hearing loss in the higher frequencies and we would probably not pursue a hair cell regeneration if it would def not diminish tinnitus.
That's not true. Regeneration is useful regardless of what frequencies are damaged. So sure if you didn't have hearing loss effecting your daily life you might wait a bit longer but who here would not fix their hearing if the side effect were effectively documented and minimal.

There is no evidence for you to draw this conclusion.

That's not true. Regeneration is useful regardless of what frequencies are damaged. So sure if you didn't have hearing loss effecting your daily life you might wait a bit longer but who here would not fix their hearing if the side effect were effectively documented and minimal.

If it comes out Jim it is very likely to expensive, i personally wouldn't pay to fix hearing loss that was not noticeable. If it cured my tinnitus though I would pay.

Obviously not all tinnitus is caused by hearing loss, but often is is. From what I understand especially when there is a "inbalance" between ohc and ihc.

What I find to be interesting, that a lot of people state, even after acoustic trauma, their hearing is "perfect", while they have only been tested on 9 frequencies. The fact that your audiogram shows up ok, doesnt mean you dont have hearing loss or damage. Theres probably some damage done, otherwise you wouldn't be stuck with that tea kettle in your head. If 9 people in town collect stamps, doesn't mean the hole town collects stamps. I sincerely believe that current discoveries will contribute to elimination of major part of tinnitus.

Although not mentioned on many medical websites yet, recent researchhas found that ringing in the ears is not actually related to the ears but caused by increased electrical signaling in parts of the brain responsible for auditory processing, including the amygdala – thought to be the fear center of the brain.

Obviously not all tinnitus is caused by hearing loss, but often is is. From what I understand especially when there is a "inbalance" between ohc and ihc.

Is tinnitus caused by hearing loss or is hearing loss just a trigger for it? Does hearing loss really keep the cycle of tinnitus going?

What I find to be interesting, that a lot of people state, even after acoustic trauma, their hearing is "perfect", while they have only been tested on 9 frequencies. The fact that your audiogram shows up ok, doesnt mean you dont have hearing loss or damage. Theres probably some damage done, otherwise you wouldn't be stuck with that tea kettle in your head. If 9 people in town collect stamps, doesn't mean the hole town collects stamps. I sincerely believe that current discoveries will contribute to elimination of major part of tinnitus.

Is tinnitus caused by hearing loss or is hearing loss just a trigger for it? Does hearing loss really keep the cycle of tinnitus going?

This has already been discussed - see hidden hearing loss section.

I sincerely believe that current discoveries will contribute to elimination of major part of tinnitus.

This would be the logical assumption looking at how stem cell research and similar are going as of now.
Also hearing tests featuring more frequencies should become a standard as well, so that what is today called "hidden hearing loss" can be clearly identified.

For those who say that reducing hearing loss will not help tinnitus, that pretty damn stupid. Tinnitus is caused by deafferentation, so decreasing it will decrease tinnitus.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now