• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

For those who say that reducing hearing loss will not help tinnitus, that pretty damn stupid. Tinnitus is caused by deafferentation, so decreasing it will decrease tinnitus.
But what about the gabba gabba in the brain regions where's your hearing? Its increased electrical activity leads to ping sounds and stuff. I saw on discovery channel one night. Brain is amazing it controls everything so it does.

My bet goes for, in the best case scenario, once you ideally recover your hair cells (and while siemens and the rest of hearing aids manufacturers have to eat the millions of outrageously expensive devices poduced) you recover your hearing in all the frecuencies spectrum BUT our friend T stills there just because is a neurological issue.

My bet goes for, in the best case scenario, once you ideally recover your hair cells (and while siemens and the rest of hearing aids manufacturers have to eat the millions of outrageously expensive devices poduced) you recover your hearing in all the frecuencies spectrum BUT our friend T stills there just because is a neurological issue.

Everyone here claims it will reverse natural plasticity but yet scientists haven't even mentioned this from what I can see.

It's only a single example, so hardly proof of concept, but my chief of road crew has bad T that COMPLETELY goes away when he puts in his hearing aids. So I'm assuming hearing regeneration is going to work for at least a subset. His hearing loss was noise induced.

@carlover also notices a reduction in T when he puts his hearing aids in.... even in a quiet room.
I'm in the same boat. I constantly experiment on myself and I can draw this conclusion as well. I have a defective gene that makes me lose my hearing quicker, but it is basically the same as what happens to those that get noise induced loss.
Last week my hearing aides broke and my T was pretty loud. I put some older hearing aides in that don't amplify the high frequencies as much and my T was a 5. Monday I got back my good hearing aides and my T stayed at a 5 for a day. Today I am back to less than a 1 after a few days of wearing my good hearing aides and it has gradually calmed down. I'll stay at a 1 unless I get stress/anxiety or wake up from a nap. T has been linked to Anxiety and sleep numerous times.
I have a feeling if I were to get my hearing fixed my T would go away or end up at a 1, which is totally a livable scenario since you can tune it out easily at that point. I really believe it can be cured since I am in the profound/severe range which means I am not getting the full benefit of the higher frequencies anymore.

I have learned from members on this forum that not all of our T or H is caused by the same circumstances. I got my H from being afraid and my body tuning up my senses. Once I got control it went away. Not everyone is so lucky. My T comes from hearing loss and with my HA it can go away and again not everyone is so lucky.

if your hearing was totally restored, you would be able to detect silence or very close to it at all frequencies once again, your T would have to be pretty low for that to happen, close to non existent actually.

Myself, I can't hear properly in the testing booth (or in real life) because my tinnitus is in the way, my results are always same (poor hearing). If my hearing were restored and I still had the same old tinnitus in the way of detecting real life sounds, my test results would be the exact same (poor hearing). Well obviously I wouldn't consider my hearing to be restored at that point, I woukd be in the same boat as I am in now. Are people thinking that hearing restoration doesn't work for people with tinnitus? Maybe that's where I'm getting confused, I'm surely missing something.

if your hearing was totally restored, you would be able to detect silence or very close to it at all frequencies once again, your T would have to be pretty low for that to happen, close to non existent actually.

Myself, I can't hear properly in the testing booth (or in real life) because my tinnitus is in the way, my results are always same (poor hearing). If my hearing were restored and I still had the same old tinnitus in the way of detecting real life sounds, my test results would be the exact same (poor hearing). Well obviously I wouldn't consider my hearing to be restored at that point, I woukd be in the same boat as I am in now.

Are people thinking that hearing restoration doesn't work for people with tinnitus? Maybe that's where I'm getting confused, I'm surely missing something.

It is unknown yet, that if we restore hearing through a regeneration if it will alleviate tinnitus. Much research has shown tinnitus arises in the brain and people are speculating it could reverse that plasticity and fix tinnitus. I argue their haven't been any publications from science that would suggest this, however the jury is still out. Will it? Won't it? Who knows!

It is unknown yet, that if we restore hearing through a regeneration if it will alleviate tinnitus. Much research has shown tinnitus arises in the brain and people are speculating it could reverse that plasticity and fix tinnitus. I argue their haven't been any publications from science that would suggest this, however the jury is still out. Will it? Won't it? Who knows!
Yeah, I hear ya but in my case if I still have tinnitus, my hearing won't be restored, I will still have the same audiogram, that I'm sure of.

My audiogram was normal and have tinnitus, don't know how I managed it with my noise
Maybe get your audiogram tested up to 18khz, mine gets really ugly as soon as I get to around 8-9k, and even worse in the higher ranges, hearing the test tones at these high frequencies is almost impossible through my tinnitus.

I'm sure if you have tinnitus, you will have some hearing loss somewhere, otherwise you wouldn't have tinnitus. If you can hear perfectly where your tinnitus tone is located, that would mean that you should be able to detect close to silence in those same spots, which I am pretty sure you can't do.

I can detect silence at say 5-6khz where my hearing is really good, but in the areas that my T and hearing loss are located, not so much.

Ok so the talk we discussed about reversing hearing loss and solving tinnitus was too much debate. After reading a paper from Susan Shore, here are some important points from the article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4895692/

* As hearing loss represents the most important trigger for tinnitus, restoration of auditory input should reduce tinnitus. Accordingly, in patients with both uni- and bilateral, profound sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus, cochlear implantation can suppress tinnitus perception in a majority of cases [15]. The efficacy of hearing aids for tinnitus reduction is less clear [140], probably because hearing aids cannot restore auditory nerve signals in case of inner hair cell or ribbon synapse loss. Moreover, amplification of sound by hearing aids is limited in the higher frequency range, where most tinnitus patients have their hearing loss (and their tinnitus percept). Accordingly, recent studies have only shown a benefit in those patients with a tinnitus pitch below 6 kHz [141, 142].​

She also talks about this new timing signal therapy that indicated good pilot results but is still considered experimental until further larger studies are published.

@HomeoHebbian what do you make of Susan shores quote that reversing hearing loss should reduce tinnitus?

Ok so the talk we discussed about reversing hearing loss and solving tinnitus was too much debate.
Since this discussion doesn't have to do with research on regeneration of hair cells - or other aspects of the inner ear - and since it seems to be important to you, perhaps you should create a separate thread for research on this topic. I saw you have created on in support already.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now