Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Hi,
I'm in New York for some vacations. During a Taxidrive I saw the Hearing Restoration Project "Commercial" from the
hhf.org at CNBC.... that's amazing how they go out and fundraise in the public.
it was this video:

I'm very excited!

Greets Tom

Wow....that is promising. I think more medical research should crowd fund. To hell with the government and big pharma....if we need cures we should fund the labs directly. Research is still stuck in the 1970s when it comes to funding. They need to start crowd funding so we can bypass the layers of useless management and get to the researchers themselves! It's good to see the commercial for HHF. Enjoy your trip!

^ "Estimated 2014 cost to the Department of Veterans Affairs for military-service-connected tinnitus: $2.2 BILLION"

Wow. And that's just for US. Big pharma should start to get interested...

"It's not a question of if we will regenerate hair cells in humans but a question of when," Rubel says. "And that will depend on luck and money."

- call someone to Bill Gates :)

Were you able to gather anymore info on this? Where could I find this exact quote? Stanford university just spend a whole bunch of money on a new school, but at the same time they also did this to get better equipment to speed things up a little if I understand correctly. Like Sound Wave mentioned above, the money is basically already there. Why would this be an issue I don't understand.

Idk if this has already been answered but i was wondering if they were able to regenerate new hair cells in mice that if they could find out a way to make the rat have chronic T then regenerate and see if the T went away afterwards.. I kno they say its hard to tell if a mice has T but something with there levels that show up somewhere there guessing they do...then if the mices T went away after regenerating hair cells then they could make a good guess on whether it would work on humans? I mean we have the same parts as a mice i know there smaller but with every clinical trial that they demonstrated on mice it seems that T dissapears on mice but not as good when done on a human. Wondering why that is and i know its hard for them to figure that out

A very good and complete overview about pharma in the hearing loss & tinnitus field

http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i14/Sound-Science.html
That's the most inspirational article I've read yet.

In our lifetimes, we're going to have real treatments for both tinnitus and hearing loss, and a garden variety of them at that. It's going to be crazy! I'm just happy for humanity to have figured out this problem =) It's honestly a big one that gets not close to enough attention.

Wow... I sure am glad that there are researchers looking into this who are way smarter than I am... I truly hope it is true that within 10 years, there will be a way to restore the inner ear hair cells and cure hearing loss and tinnitus. It seems like it is too good to be true, but I would certainly welcome it. Either way, it is great to know that more advances in hearing loss and tinnitus are happening.

I dont believe GenVec research much, its look like too much stock oriented, that pdf with significant hearing improved on guinea pig (how they get audiogram from guinea pig?, and placebo on guinea pig?), the other picture which shows damaged cochlea and treated cochlea looks just too good, even the hair cell formation looks like original healthy cell formation.
I recommend you not depend GenVec research much, they just want money...

Hi
I dont believe GenVec research much, its look like too much stock oriented, that pdf with significant hearing improved on guinea pig (how they get audiogram from guinea pig?, and placebo on guinea pig?), the other picture which shows damaged cochlea and treated cochlea looks just too good, even the hair cell formation looks like original healthy cell formation.
I recommend you not depend GenVec research much, they just want money...

Hi,
I know what you mean, it really looks very stock oriented. But if they won't achieve their goals, they won't make money...
If it works, Novartis will step in more and pay those milestones...
Let's hope it works, would be very important for they field...
But as we know, it's not an easy task.

Greets Tom

Really hope this research speeds up would be like being born again if it works.Quick question though I know stanford are regenerateing haircells in a bid to cure hearing loss but have they been able to regenerate the auditory nerve fibers or are they trying to accomplish this at all?

Idk if this has already been answered but i was wondering if they were able to regenerate new hair cells in mice that if they could find out a way to make the rat have chronic T then regenerate and see if the T went away afterwards.. I kno they say its hard to tell if a mice has T but something with there levels that show up somewhere there guessing they do...then if the mices T went away after regenerating hair cells then they could make a good guess on whether it would work on humans? I mean we have the same parts as a mice i know there smaller but with every clinical trial that they demonstrated on mice it seems that T dissapears on mice but not as good when done on a human. Wondering why that is and i know its hard for them to figure that out
Why even use mice and rats when you can use rabbits?

Really hope this research speeds up would be like being born again if it works.Quick question though I know stanford are regenerateing haircells in a bid to cure hearing loss but have they been able to regenerate the auditory nerve fibers or are they trying to accomplish this at all?

It's very difficult to say what they already really achieved. Some of the stem cell research they do at Stanford
hasn't been 1:1 hair cells, just hair cell like. I guess, with stem cell, there haven't been really regenerated 1:1
hair cells.
Genvec could grow hair cells in human inner ear explants... so at least, if they do this trial, we will probably
know if there is an advance in hearing... if there is some advance, they will probably do more research
to achieve better and better results...
But pharma is interested now and tries to work closer together with researchers... this could be a good sign.

hello. Just got my mail and started opening up envelopes by hand. It feels like the eardrum inside my left ear tightens up some. I experience this sensation when I close the kitchen cabinet door, dog barks, dishes clanging, etc. H was worse on the onset of T 5 months ago, and it seems to have gotten somewhat better. I know I have hypercusis, but severe? I'll check out the 2020 report, thanks.
That, my dear patty, sounds like Tonic Tensor Tympani. The "hammer" is being pulled away from eardrum in an effort to protect you from loud sounds. Your hyperacusis makes it overly sensitive. Instead of a strong response at VERY LOUD sounds, it twitches at quite mild annoyances. You've had your tinnitus longer than I have, so I hesitate to give out advice, but I found this video very helpful.

I'm currently waiting to start Dr. Hobb's clinical trial of a treatment based on neural plasticity and have corresponded with him personally. Seems a quite genuine guy, truly interested in helping his patients and other sufferers. I found several tender spots in my neck thanks to the video above and was able to relieve most of my hyperacusis by massaging them out. Don't overdo it, take your time, but I was on the verge of asking for a leave-of-absence for work before I found this. Mind you, my symptoms are uniquely my own, as I'm sure yours are uniquely your own, so results will vary.

That, my dear patty, sounds like Tonic Tensor Tympani. The "hammer" is being pulled away from eardrum in an effort to protect you from loud sounds. Your hyperacusis makes it overly sensitive. Instead of a strong response at VERY LOUD sounds, it twitches at quite mild annoyances. You've had your tinnitus longer than I have, so I hesitate to give out advice, but I found this video very helpful.

I'm currently waiting to start Dr. Hobb's clinical trial of a treatment based on neural plasticity and have corresponded with him personally. Seems a quite genuine guy, truly interested in helping his patients and other sufferers. I found several tender spots in my neck thanks to the video above and was able to relieve most of my hyperacusis by massaging them out. Don't overdo it, take your time, but I was on the verge of asking for a leave-of-absence for work before I found this. Mind you, my symptoms are uniquely my own, as I'm sure yours are uniquely your own, so results will vary.

Good news. I have been away from the boards for a while. The hypercusis is 95% gone and the Tonic Tensor Tympani symptom also went away. I am very thankful for that, but still working on sleep.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now