Introducing Tinnitus Quest

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hazel, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      introducing-tinnitus-quest.png

Too many people are left alone to suffer in ‘silence’ with their tinnitus. You all know this, of course, but the trouble is convincing the rest of the world that tinnitus is a serious problem that deserves serious attention and funding, a problem that requires more than just behavioral therapies, but a real solution. We are very excited to announce a new initiative to break through these obstacles.

But first, let’s set the scene...

Background

For years, we at Tinnitus Hub have been tackling the problem of tinnitus in our own little way. By connecting you guys through Tinnitus Talk and providing a platform to share your troubles, ideas, and news. By being your voice at research conferences. By collecting data for research. By creating the Tinnitus Talk Podcast and other content to keep you updated on the latest developments.

All along, we’ve been acutely aware of the shortcomings of our approach, of the limitations to what we can achieve on a shoestring budget with a few volunteers. Countless times, we’ve been asked “can’t you guys get celebrities to raise awareness?” or “can’t you raise funds for research into a cure?”. To our own frustration, we’ve had to tell them that we do not have the time, money, or manpower.

At the same time, we’ve observed from the sidelines the lack of coordinated effort to find a cure for tinnitus. Academia moves slowly and is often not patient centered. Traditional funding agencies play it safe by focusing on already established concepts instead of true innovations that may fail. Patient advocacy groups have not successfully conveyed the urgency and severity of the problem.

tinnitus-quest.png
      It's time for a change. It’s time for a ‘quiet revolution’. It’s time for Tinnitus Quest.

Tinnitus Quest is a new foundation, established in Germany as a non-profit just a few weeks ago. It was initiated by a German entrepreneur called Sven Köllmann. Frustrated with the lack of progress, he has already donated significant sums directly to tinnitus research. But Tinnitus Quest will provide a much bigger platform to bring together many patients, donors, and researchers with the simple (but not easy) aim of silencing tinnitus.

Research Approach

Tinnitus Quest’s approach to research will be one of ‘high risk, high gain’. Instead of building on already established concepts, we will seek to fund exploratory research trying out new concepts, and then iterating on successes and failures. We have identified three areas that are key to silencing tinnitus: 1) Fundamental research to reveal the underlying mechanisms of tinnitus; 2) Finding an objective measure of tinnitus; and 3) Testing out experimental approaches to resolve tinnitus. We’ve decided to focus on the third area, because this is where we feel can have the most impact.

Governance Structure

Patients will be heavily represented in Tinnitus Quest’s governance bodies. Our Board has five members, three of whom (Sven, Markku, and Hazel) are patients, the other two are researchers: Dirk de Ridder and Hamid Djalilian.

We also have a Patient Board, which – together. with the Scientific Board – will provide advice and input to decision-making and ensure our research is truly patient-driven. We are still seeking additional members for the Patient Board, so do let us know if you are interested.

Public Outreach

One of the biggest problems of tinnitus research thus far has been the lack of public communication. As tinnitus sufferers, we usually only hear about a study before it starts and then years later when the results are published.

Tinnitus Quest will ask researchers whom we fund to provide frequent updates and full transparency. We are committed to communicating equally about successes and failures – because failure often provides unique new insights that could lead to a cure.

Timeline

The rest of 2024 will be mainly about fundraising – both from high-net-worth individuals and the public – so that by early 2025 we can organize a research conference and start giving out grants. But in the meantime, we will be publishing a lot of content, from interviews with artists to research Q&As and much more.

What Can You Do?

Join our quest for a cure and become part of the solution. For now, all we’re asking is that you visit TinnitusQuest.com and sign up for the newsletter by clicking on ‘Get Latest Updates’ and sign up to our social media through the icons at the top of the homepage. Over time, we hope to convince you to donate your time or money to the cause as well. Please note that the donate function on the website is not yet functional, coming soon.

We hope you’re as excited as we are about this news. Feel free to ask us any questions!

visit-tinnitus-quest.png

• Winner x 29
      • Like x 8
      • Genius x 3
      • Hug x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Creative x 1
    2. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014, worsened 5/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Long-term Noise ; Acoustic Trauma
      This is amazing! Great work team! You have my full attention on Tinnitus Quest. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Hi @Hazel. This is an interesting development. Thank you for the update.

I wonder if you can expand a little more on the reason why you've decided to pursue avenue 3) Testing out experimental approaches to resolve tinnitus?

Personally, I would have focused on point 1) Fundamental research to reveal the underlying mechanisms of tinnitus. This is because I don't believe it's going to be possible to resolve tinnitus until science actually understands what tinnitus is.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good question, and I completely agree regarding the importance of point 1. It's all a question of funding and timing though. Fundamental research takes a LONG time and a LOT of funding to make the translation to actual treatments. With less funding and wanting to make quick progress, we felt we'd have the most chance of success with point 3. This doesn't negate the importance of the other two in any way, and we will work closely with other funding providers to hopefully ensure that these areas are covered by organizations that are best placed to do so.

I hope that makes sense :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I take it this is only for tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, that makes sense. In terms of emerging experimental approaches, I'm quite happy with where the electrical-based stuff is going, a little less so with the pharmaceuticals, so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Great work, @Hazel. I underestimated the work going on behind the scenes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      @Hazel, I signed up to be on the Patient Board. I am interested and will devote a lot of time to this.

I am very happy that Dr. Djalilian is also a part of this.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. 2049v

2049v Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones/NIHL/Acustic Trauma
      This is great news.

I will seek support from the people and all the other tinnitus communities as much as I can.

I hope I can also contribute to this process and that we can achieve success together.

Here we go : )

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Muggumbo

Muggumbo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      This is great. It's possible that you guys may be instrumental in a future cure or treatment. I can't wait to see what happens.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    11. J96
      Disappointed

J96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Hazel, I kindly request some research or experimental treatment on reactive tinnitus. After some polypharmacy, a few months after my acoustic trauma, I got reactive tinnitus, which was quite bad off the start. It was reactive to as little as brushing my teeth off the bat, and within a week, it became reactive to all sounds, even after being in silence 24/7 with hearing protection.

Noise makes it worse, including just trying to survive. It's so extreme that I'm afraid to drink water because if my Eustachian tubes click too loud when I swallow, I get more tones for the day.

Reactive tinnitus is incredibly debilitating, even more than catastrophic noxacusis. The worst part is that it is progressive with no treatment.

Please make reactive tinnitus a focal point. I'm sure the answer could also greatly benefit hyperacusis and maybe even visual snow syndrome.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. Again, it’s a matter of focus and funding.

The hyperacusis angle is in our opinion well covered by Hyperacusis Research — they have almost the exact same operating model as Tinnitus Quest but then for hyperacusis. We’ll be seeking to align and collaborate with them where possible.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Bob3382
      Stressed

Bob3382 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible ear infection, unknown
      This sounds like an awesome project.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! We will have to wait six weeks or so to give some other folks a chance to sign up as well, and then it depends on how many people we have and what they each bring to the table. But I feel there should be an opportunity for anyone who's interested to contribute in some way. We'll definitely get back to you :)

@2049v, thank you for wanting to help! I do think it would help a lot if someone could spend some time going into all the different online tinnitus groups across social media and promote Tinnitus Quest. If you're serious about doing this, let's have a call to discuss in more detail so we can provide you with some guidance :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    15. Muggumbo

Muggumbo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      You guys might have already thought about this, but you may want to reach out to veterans groups, too, since tinnitus is prevalent among military personnel. This may help you network and find funding or resources.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    16. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      I'm so proud of you guys! You're all doing incredible work.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. AverageJoe12

AverageJoe12 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club in Feb ‘23, MRI in Feb '24, drummer since age 15
      Fantastic, please do! The frequency with which tinnitus and hyperacusis occur together is really interesting. I have both, and if I could have one disappear, I would choose hyperacusis. It's been debilitating. Please stay connected to the folks at Mass Eye and Ear like Dr. Maison and Dan Polley as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
    18. Calapsodis
      Tired

Calapsodis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, TMJ, Virus, and Acid Reflux
      Let’s hope that Tinnitus Quest changes this and gets its foot into the doors of everything mainstream. Awesome work, guys!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It's worth asking if anyone here is a member of any support groups (Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, Reddit, HealthUnlocked, etc.) and has any connection, however loose, to the admins. I left those groups because they felt like a goldfish bowl of repetitive questions, pseudoscience, and infighting. Some admins seem disinterested in the patients or tinnitus itself and appear content merely moderating their groups.

The value of building relationships with these groups is significant. There are at least a quarter of a million members across the main groups. In 2022, I researched some of them, examining their membership numbers. For instance, the Facebook group "Tinnitus Sufferers" has around 60,000 members. Other groups include Tinnitus Worldwide, Tinnitus UK, Tinnitus Support, etc. Additionally, consider those groups with tinnitus as a side effect of other disorders, such as Meniere's, AIED, Labyrinthitis, Vestibular Neuritis, etc. We can also include groups focused on fibromyalgia, CFS, MEFS, and hearing loss. Expanding this across all social media channels results in a vast potential audience. This reach was unimaginable 20 years ago.

The key question is: how can this be systematically achieved? I'm open to corrections or amendments.
      1. Produce a list of all relevant patient groups for each social media channel, including membership numbers.
      2. Contact the admins to build a relationship and explain our mission, the background of those involved, and our non-profit status.
      3. Establish how Tinnitus Quest can be a resource to members (e.g., sign up for updates, patient voice, direct engagement with researchers, trial opportunities, etc.).
      4. Discuss how to ensure the group is viewable and accessible to current and future members. This could include pinning our information to the top of the group page or alerting new members during sign-up/entry questions. The key to this contact is encouraging patients to sign up for updates.
      5. Ensure permanent visibility, such as an advert, and consider offering incentives to admins based on the number of members who sign up for updates.
      In summary, we need a concise strategy. The above points can be adjusted with better ideas. I attempted to involve Tinnitus UK in August 2022. I spoke with their media assistant, who seemed enthusiastic but ultimately did nothing. I suspect they had no intention of following through and moved on to their next mission for #TinnitusWeek 2023, the "Plug 'Em" campaign that we all found helpful.

• Agree x 2
      • Like x 1
      • Good Question x 1
      • Genius x 1
      • Winner x 1
    20. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Awesome to see this!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excellent points, @Nick47! We've certainly been frustrated over the years by some of those groups not allowing any kind of 'promotion'. For instance, we've run surveys to collect data for academic research, no commercial aims whatsoever, and still the admins would ban us. But indeed, if someone could talk to them directly, they might be convinced to support initiatives that could really help sufferers -- it's certainly worth a try! And if it requires offering some kind of incentive we should consider that as well.

• Like Like x 3
    22. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      The incentive does not have to be monetary. It could be a place on the patient board, access to free meetings, local events, the right to vote, etc.

Long tremors are so worried and downtrodden. Everything they've seen is a scam or grifter—false hope. People are looking to fleece them. Building trust and credibility will be hard and frustrating; however, when approved by admins, it is much easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. J96
      Disappointed

J96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    24. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree. Tinnitus grifting is interminable and absolutely underlies much of the hardening of attitudes (certainly my own) toward the various initiatives that have sprung up over the years.

I also think it's a good idea that any outreach - certainly on social media - is done from the inside out by trusted partners, vetted by the board to speak on our behalf. From what I can gather at the moment, I think this is intended to be the case?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      mGluRs have definitely been implicated in tinnitus! The Galazyuk Lab is currently looking at mGluRs in the inferior colliculus as a potential therapeutic target for tinnitus.

He seems to work under the banner of NEOMED Hearing Research, which is based at Northeast Ohio Medical University and Kent State University.

• Like Like x 1
    26. 2049v

2049v Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones/NIHL/Acustic Trauma
      Hi @Hazel, yes, I am serious about contributing. I have already started informing communities in my country about this, but people are indifferent and unwilling for some reason. People want a cure and to be freed from this disease, but they don't want to take any initiative in this regard. I believe there are people more talented than me who can promote Tinnitus Quest. I will continue to promote it in my country.

I want to contribute. I don't want to sit idly by, waiting for someone to save us, but I don't know how else I can contribute. Where can I find information about this? Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      Ain't that the truth?

I know the focus will be on getting treatments out there, but I would be interested if there is any possibility of research related to sleep deprivation prior to and/or after the onset of tinnitus. I have not learned from research, but I believe, based on the many interactions I have with patients, including myself, who are moderately/severely impacted by their tinnitus, experience some sort of sleep disturbance. While rightly, a lot of research has gone into understanding how the phantom sounds themselves are evoked and retained, I truly believe that there are connected brain mechanisms related to filtering and maintenance that, when stressed via sleep deprivation, make tinnitus onset and maintenance more susceptible.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I expect a lot of interest in the Tinnitus Quest webinar next month.

If you look at upcoming events:

hamid-djalilian-tinnitus-qa.png

Based on preclinical results, this will be of several magnitudes more efficacious than Auricle.

• Like Like x 2
    29. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      I’ve promoted Tinnitus Quest on Reddit already.
      Where do you see this on the Tinnitus Quest website? I subscribed for updates as well, but I can’t find it anywhere, and I want to register.

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. BlueMoon86
      Alone

BlueMoon86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      I'll certainly donate because it's all I can do. I lost my job because of how bad my tinnitus is and how it has screwed me up, but my funds have always been limited. I've always found ways to contribute to things that matter to me (mostly animal-related causes up until this, to be honest, especially dogs).

I'm not ashamed to say I gave no thought to tinnitus until it affected me. Now that it has, I will contribute as much as possible for as long as I am here.

• Hug Hug x 7