Is Going to a Beyonce Concert with Tinnitus Safe or Stupid?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kit1048, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      No decent Wetherspoons by me unfortunately haha. I can handle that noise just fine, it was just the worry in case anything happened to my tinnitus. I would not even have batted an eyelid years ago in a pub like that and even louder with more people (there were like 6 people in my local).

2. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      If it's too painful to enjoy, don't go. My first live music experience, believe it or not, I performed at. It was at a bar with an open setup - front wall was a gate that goes up on the beach. When it wasn't my hour, I stayed outside, but it was still kinda loud. Much louder "inside".

Point is, dip your toe in, but don't dive in the deep end.

3. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      20 shows a year might be a bit too excessive for compromised and vulnerable ears IMO, but you do you. No one understands your tinnitus behavior better than you.

Which customs are you using anyhow? The custom earplugs I’ve recently acquired (1of1 customs) are absolute trash. Looking for other options.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your permission. LOL.

Jokes aside, I never once had a spike from a show. My ears predictably ring a little louder during the winter months, and then quiet down to a mild hiss for the other 8 months of the year.

If I get sick, they'll be loud for 2 weeks.

I have Westones, from the audiologist. Etymotic makes the filters. I use ER25s for shows, and ER15s for playing music (guitar) with others because I need to be able to hear more in the upper register. If I play drums, I just wear 3M 27 dB over-ears. I have 33s also and they're just not comfortable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why are they no good?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To be fair, the sound quality and noise reduction capabilities are pretty good, but the occlusion effect from my custom earplugs (Pro 26) are beyond horrible. This is an absolute deal breaker for me. I can’t walk with them on without having to hearing mini explosions go off. Every footstep I take, I hear a loud boom coursing through my body. Extremely bothersome. Don’t even get me started with having to talk with them on. A disaster beyond belief.

Customer service left a lot to be desired as well. They won’t refund me too and they were giving me some attitude. They told me “oh, the occlusion effect is normal when you block your ears”. I was like yeah I expect to have some level of occlusion, but not this level of abomination. I think they got butt hurt when I told them foam earplugs were way better with the occlusion effect than these customs. I haven’t received a reply back from them yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      There are a lot of people that got tinnitus from microsuction. Too bad they don't do any new studies on procedures like that.
      My friend went on the last Friday and Saturday show. I listened to it and it must have been so fun.

I caught a couple shows when they did the Baker's Dozen. It's good to see some Phans here.

I didn't get tinnitus from Phish shows. Mine was from an antibiotic or a virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd be well pissed off especially if it cost quite a bit to get them made! And it's a shame you can't try before you buy with these things.

What are you going to do next? Wait to see what happens with customer service or try and get some more made? o_O

I think the occlusion effect is something that'll always be there with earplugs that aren't foam. I don't know what others you could try to bridge the gap for now.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Your tinnitus is obviously mild then. Like mine was for years, until the concert that made it severe and gave me hyperacusis. I hope you stay safe.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus was anything but mild. I sat in a small apt with a washer dryer/tv/dishwasher, and AC unit running and it screamed over all of it. I wore earplugs to talk to my wife because my hyperacusis was awful.

It's very mild now. I'm in a quiet office and I can only hear it if I cover my ear canals with my thumbs. My ears will ring when the baseboard heating dries out my sinuses for a few months. I'm over it though. Half my friends have this condition. This is the life we chose. I'm going to a music festival tomorrow. I'll be fine after too.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I honestly think it's very toxic telling someone they have mild tinnitus just because you don't agree with how they live their lives.

You don't know what they are living with and you could have mild tinnitus compared to someone else. It's all subjective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Strawberryblonde.

So customer service told me that I should continue wearing them, that the earplugs will eventually ‘break in’ and my ears will adjust to the fit, whatever that means. They compared it to like wearing a new pair of shoes, so there’s a chance the occlusion effect could ease up.

If I’m still not satisfied, they said they’re willing to remake my earplugs, adjusting the modeling of the earplugs to extend more deeper in my ear canal. It may or may not help with occlusion according to them however. I think they’ll be charging a small fee for that which is unfortunate... Going to keep testing these current earplugs for a week or two more and see what happens. Then I’ll decide if I want them remade.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I stand by what I've said.

Personally I think it's pretty reckless to go telling people on a tinnitus forum that it's safe to go to 20 concerts a year.

But maybe that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    14. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess that's not too bad. Better than leaving you high and dry I suppose. I hope they end up working for you in the end :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. jecamp1
      Sunshine

jecamp1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Conductive hearing loss; Acoustic exposure
      Perhaps, but I've had conductive hearing loss since I was a teenager (I am 30 now). The deafness in my left ear, which is the one that rings, is not related to inner ear issues. Bone conductive testing proves that I can hear those high frequencies you are talking about. That said, all of this is subjective to the individual. What I do know is that I will never subjective myself to these microsuction things that set back so many people on this forum.

16. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Personally, I spent years terrified to live my life because I spent too much time here with people telling me how dangerous the world was, which only made my mental state, and ironically, my tinnitus worse as it's absolutely related to the body's fight or flight system.

Honestly, I don't give a shit what you do. I only come back here because there will be a person in the state I was that needs some of the doom and gloom balanced out.

It took me YEARS to get back to what I do now, and as a musician I thought I had lost my passion. I have since taken online friendships with multiple people with tinnitus and watched them progress from terrified to leave the house to living normal lives again over time. People that told me my tinnitus was mild and theirs was severe. They're fine now.

I'm not lying when I tell you that like 30% of my friends have tinnitus. I was by far the most impacted of any of them I know, but it was rough for them too. They're all fine.

My advice to anyone that cares. DON'T skip out on life. Get some good earplugs with multiple filter levels and use them when it's appropriate to.

DO skip out on doing absolutely crazy stuff like sleeping with screeching noises in your Koss headphones because someone on the internet told you it's good for your hearing.

DON'T turn into a full blown alcoholic to cope with tinnitus like I did for ~3 years.

DO recognize that your body can heal, neuroplasticity is real, and that you can rewire your vestibular system. Look into your posture - it greatly affects vestibular system. Look up PRI (Postural Restoration). It's not gobble-de-gook. I saw a practitioner that helped me a lot and also treated many Broadway musicians with hearing issues.

Go for a weekly _medical_ massage if you have the coin. You're gonna be surprised when they tell you others come to them for the same issues. They'll talk to you for an hour a week about what ails you. It's cheaper than therapy and they're qualified like most bartenders are AND have what is basically a medical degree.

Most important - Get the hell out of the house. It's good for you. My turning point was a bachelor party at a 2 day jam band run where the groom had recently decided he didn't care about his tinnitus anymore and was ready to live life. I was terrified. Both of us were still on the vitamin protocols you read about on this site. It was fresh. After 2 days of concerts in a row, and I wasn't any worse a week later, I was ready to move on with my life.

• Like x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Hug x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    17. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      You clearly feel quite strongly about this; that sufferers should take a leap of faith with the reward of getting their life back.

I've read some of your previous postings. It is difficult to try and piece your story together as its bits of telling on one thread and more on another and so on.

Would you be willing to write a full account of your tinnitus experience from beginning to now?

It would certainly help and give others some faith perhaps?

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Yeah, this. Beyonce concert is probably okay if you keep safe and use earplugs. For those of us with reactive tinnitus or hyperacusis, concerts are a big NO. That is, unless you don't mind pain or constant loud tinnitus after or if you've reached a state where your tinnitus/hyperacusis reacts briefly and then goes back to baseline.

I alternate between tinnitus and reactive tinnitus (hyperacusis for lack of better diagnosis, but basically tinnitus triggered by certain noise frequencies) and I can see how a concert would be wonderful to mask tinnitus or nothing short of torture to trigger loud tinnitus and hissing for days or worse.

It's so$#@(%TU complicated. I'm so sick of dealing with both for the past 7 years and would love to go to any concert. I can't even go to church. Not that I miss church so much but I liked the music back in the day.

I almost feel like if you have to ask this question you should just go to the concert.

19. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      I agree with others. You definitely should NOT go to the concert. It could be something you regret for the rest of your life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      I went to 2 concerts when my tinnitus was mild. Although it didn't get any worse at the time, I think it was a reckless thing to do. You may get away with going to a concert but it is definitely not safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. RocketJSquirrel

RocketJSquirrel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Are we still arguing about voting on this? Here's my vote: with tinnitus, live rock concerts are out. Done. Forget it.

Without earplugs, your hearing will be toast, possibly forever. With even good earplugs, you won't be enjoying the music to the fullest. And don't forget the noisy fans all around you doing their best to out-sing the band.

Wait for the concert to come out on Blu-ray or CD or nugs.net and enjoy it at home where the sound is under your control.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      @Tom Cnyc, this was my thought, too, can you write up your (success) story?

• Agree Agree x 2