Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

This is is also why they are mixing up the treatment at the half-way mark, because they know a single stimulation parameter is plateauing out at a weak level.
Sorry if my poor understanding of English made me misunderstand this but, aren't they changing the device specs due to neuroplasticity? I thought they change them halfway through the treatment to prevent the brain getting used to the signals.

aren't they changing the device specs due to neuroplasticity? I thought they change them halfway through the treatment to prevent the brain getting used to the signals.
Yes, it could be that the reason the improvements plateau is due to the brain getting used to the signals. It could also be that the reason the improvements plateau is that their stimulation is simply sub-optimal.

Sorry if my poor understanding of English made me misunderstand this but, aren't they changing the device specs due to neuroplasticity? I thought they change them halfway through the treatment to prevent the brain getting used to the signals.
Yes, and I think depending on the results, they can actually keep changing the timings. That's why @Redknight reported they are working on being able to change it online for the patients.

That's why @Redknight reported they are working on being able to change it online for the patients.
The online update functionality is totally unconfirmed, a rumor kicked off by @Redknight.

I wonder if Lenire even has the theoretical possibility to receive remote online updates? Surely it requires hardware support.

Yes, and I think depending on the results, they can actually keep changing the timings. That's why @Redknight reported they are working on being able to change it online for the patients.
Lim's chart showed a flattening out of the angle of improvements during the 2nd half. That suggests a maximum point of diminishing returns even when changing up the parameters. Of course, if their parameters are just somehow "wrong" they might unlock something better, but as it is now, I see law of diminishing returns taking over.

@Redknight So happy for you my man - thanks for taking time to come back and write up your experience.

Good to see that noticeable / further improvements can be made after 12 weeks. I'm sure this will bring some positivity back into the thread.

@Redknight Thank you for updating us on your experience.

It's true that this thread has some added negativity, and with what we are seeing, it is not warranted. I understand some healthy skepticism, but what's going on does not look like that.

It sounds like you are gonna move on with life happily now. If that is the case, thank you for letting us know about your experience and findings at every meeting, and enjoy your silence / near silence! :thankyousign::rockingbanana:

@Redknight - congrats bud! Thanks for sharing your experience and "story", what awesome news! Enjoy moments of quiet, well deserved.

Have you tried to do/experience anything "louder" since you started the treatment? For example travelling by train, walking nearby noisy traffic or stand close to motorbike without earplugs or muffs ... what I mean is if you have experienced any spike/reactivity or worsening (spike) related to noise exposure.

Have you had or do you still have (if this is the case) signs of hyperacusis? How do you deal with specific loud sudden laugh, or clinging with dishes? Sorry if you have already answered elsewhere on the forum, but I didn't see it in your posts.

Many thanks and once again - enjoy!

@Redknight thanks for the update.
This gives me some hope although we don't share the same characteristics as your tinnitus is much more recent than mine.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. Call it self-preservation, or hardening against the possibility that it might not work as well for long-term sufferers, but don't call it negativity.

As a means of coping I think many of us have flattened their emotional responses to many things in life. It prevents us from getting too low but it also tempers the joys as well.

I think many on this thread express some skepticism that is mostly due to this mechanism that I tried to explain above. Some firm believers then call out this "negativity" and so it goes on and on.

For me, every positive report gets my hopes up, and the negative ones, well...

It's not like we can approach this with the same emotional neutrality as, say, a review of the car you're about to buy or have already ordered.

Lenire's been pushed forward as the first ever treatment that could diminish the actual loudness. I am hopeful, but I still remember the hype about Neuromonics and Notched Audio from a decade ago. It forces me to curb my enthusiasm...

I've been following this thread for months now, but my account is only from a few days ago, so I didn't respond before... but there is one perspective I would like to add.

IMO, Lenire right now stands for progress. They might eventually manage to diminish tinnitus for everyone, or (worst case, let's hope not) mess it up to higher levels. But no matter the outcome, they dó produce results. And results equals data.

Even if Lenire fails its treatment in the end, there will be plenty of data to analyze. They might be able to link specific symptoms (tones, crickets, w/e) to specific parameters which had a positive or negative outcome. Scientifically seen, even a negative outcome is positive in the sense of that it had a clear effect: once something has an effect, you have indicators to figure out the exact cause, which could lead to a new (working) treatment in the future. It's a way of trial and error, though I assume they're not completely blanc in their background data when using this on people.

Those who dare to try Lenire are heroes in my view, since they help to provide data to work with. At some point, parameter sets and outcomes should become predictable. I just hope the company is willing to open up their data to others, should it happen that their product does not succeed.

I just wanted to say thanks @Redknight for your positive review, it's stuff like this that keeps me going while I wait for my appointment from Neuromod. I wish you luck with the future and a lot of quiet days.

If you don't mind, I would also love to know how old you are and whether you got tinnitus in both or only one ear. I'm soon to be 35, I've had tinnitus for 14.5 months and I have tinnitus only in my left ear.

It feels like a soft breeze to read reviews such as the one @Redknight just shared with us. Asking him all those details can add valuable information to the data we all are collecting here but I insist in the fact that the ultimate way of knowing if Lenire works for oneself is just trying it. Who's more determined to try it is a question of the severity of the subject's tinnitus.

And there you have it. Ask, and ye shall receive! ;)
One good story in a sea of "meh" is so-so. And let's remember Redknight has only had tinnitus for 6 months. It could have gotten better without any intervention. We need Redknight stories from people who have had killer suicide tinnitus for many years.

I have mild/moderate tinnitus (8dB MML above hearing treshold and 20dB hearing loss) and I am bothered enough to pick-up my device on November 29th. I know there are more cases like mine.
There definitely is, I'm one of them.

I have mild/moderate tinnitus (8dB MML above hearing treshold and 20dB hearing loss) and I am bothered enough to pick-up my device on November 29th. I know there are more cases like mine.
I probably have mild tinnitus in terms of volume and THI, and I still want it gone. There's an annoying tone I have at around 12 kHz that is difficult to mask.

To Bartoli and Mentos:

My audiologist said that, given the extent of my hearing loss, my tinnitus "was not bad at all."

"Oh, really?", I said to myself.
"Just try concentrating in quiet library".
"I have not been able to endure sitting in my quiet front living room for 6 years."
"I had difficulty in not being so preoccupied with this sound that I could fully listen to my banking rep in his quiet office atmosphere."

I will also be a willing candidate when Dr. Shore's device is available.

I've noticed that my tinnitus seems to be at its worst during the days I have headaches or back / neck / arm pain (I have MRI confirmed radiculopathy and neck herniation - I've refused offered surgery because of reports of anesthesia and antibiotics permanently worsening tinnitus).

Does this have any bearing one way or another as to whether I'd be a good candidate for these new bimodal devices?

I think not too many people with mild tinnitus can be bothered to get treatment.
Likewise - my tinnitus is 10dB MML as measured by Neuromod, with almost zero hearing loss, and I gladly shelled out the euro-thousands. I know I am blessed to have relatively quiet tinnitus but it's still a bitch sometimes.

@Redknight can you share what was your MML at the initial appointment with Neuromod? Also do you know the cause of your tinnitus in the first place?
I have tinnitus that is reactive to white noise, so MML was hard for me as my tinnitus 'chases' the white noise. Around 10 dB in the booth under the NM testing environment.

I'm not completely sure; a mixture of severe stress/depression, some sort of viral thing and a noise exposure. All these things happened within a few days of each other and I had tinnitus one day afterwards.

@Redknight - congrats bud! Thanks for sharing your experience and "story", what awesome news! Enjoy moments of quiet, well deserved.

Have you tried to do/experience anything "louder" since you started the treatment? For example travelling by train, walking nearby noisy traffic or stand close to motorbike without earplugs or muffs ... what I mean is if you have experienced any spike/reactivity or worsening (spike) related to noise exposure.

Have you had or do you still have (if this is the case) signs of hyperacusis? How do you deal with specific loud sudden laugh, or clinging with dishes? Sorry if you have already answered elsewhere on the forum, but I didn't see it in your posts.

Many thanks and once again - enjoy!
I have a residual fear of loud noises, although that's probably a healthy fear. I no longer have spikes or worry about noise, beyond what I now consider everyone should be wary. I will wear earplugs for very noisy environments but I would not need them for everyday noises like traffic or doing the dishes.

I just wanted to say thanks @Redknight for your positive review, it's stuff like this that keeps me going while I wait for my appointment from Neuromod. I wish you luck with the future and a lot of quiet days.

If you don't mind, I would also love to know how old you are and whether you got tinnitus in both or only one ear. I'm soon to be 35, I've had tinnitus for 14.5 months and I have tinnitus only in my left ear.
39. Mostly in my head, but sometimes in my left or right ear only. Mostly high pitched fizzing, with rare Morse code beeps.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now