Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

I had my follow-up call from Neuromod today and told them about my lack of improvement and they said from what they are seeing that isn't abnormal at six weeks.

I am noticing that from the review thread the people with improvements seem to have low MML, mostly in the single digits or teens. What I wouldn't give for those numbers with me at 58 dB MML. Not that I am lessening the tinnitus affects of those since it is different for everyone.

I guess I will be curious over time if those with worse tinnitus see results after a longer period of time. It does seem to mimic the leaked presentation. A three to five decibel reduction isn't going to mean much to me, but someone who has a 10 dB MML it could make a world of difference.

Based on what I've read, it seems that if individuals are going to respond to this treatment, they will respond within the first six weeks to the first stimulation setting. I haven't responded in the slightest, and I was hoping to turn to TinnitusTalk for advice on whether I should go in for an adjustment setting.

I am a college student, and I fly from the US, so the trips are long and expensive. It doesn't seem worth it to make the trip to be changed onto a stimulation setting that seems to make people worse.

Based on what I've read, it seems that if individuals are going to respond to this treatment, they will respond within the first six weeks to the first stimulation setting. I haven't responded in the slightest, and I was hoping to turn to TinnitusTalk for advice on whether I should go in for an adjustment setting.

I am a college student, and I fly from the US, so the trips are long and expensive. It doesn't seem worth it to make the trip to be changed onto a stimulation setting that seems to make people worse.
If I was in your shoes I would probably stay on the 1st setting and try another 6 weeks to see if there's any improvement. I would certainly consult with Neuromod via phone or email though.

It seems it is possible to respond after six weeks, but it's much less likely.

Could hear the tinnitus over the car in a highway, for example. And I heard the noise over normal ambient sounds e.g. an office, too. But it wasn't super loud, either.
Interesting how different people feel. I can hear mine also in the office with radio on. Sometimes in the car as well. But to me it feels pretty loud.
Still no sign of peer review anywhere.

Still no media attention from anywhere (without any links to Neuromod).

Is anybody else not convinced about Lenire? Even the positive stories are unreliable, I have good and bad times with my tinnitus, it would be coincidental that if I strapped myself up to a machine that I payed €2500 for it would help me combined with a placebo effect.

I still hope this is the start of a real treatment, even if they are only working out now what works best.
To be honest I'm more nervous about the possible worsening than paying for placebo/nothing.

@threefirefour Neuromod claims my tinnitus has reduced by 5 decibels. I say maybe by 1/3... it is very difficult for me to assess. Already my review yesterday required me to be more firm than I really have in this topic. Anyway, there are still better and worse days. But overall I live better.

@threefirefour Neuromod claims my tinnitus has reduced by 5 decibels. I say maybe by 1/3... it is very difficult for me to assess. Already my review yesterday required me to be more firm than I really have in this topic. Anyway, there are still better and worse days. But overall I live better.
I think the two statements are in agreement. Objectively, -3 decibels halves the sound pressure. But subjectively, for the human mind, it takes roughly -10 decibels to perceive half the volume. So if your tinnitus signal was decreased by 5 decibels, it stands to reason that you'll perceive it roughly 1/3 quieter.

(Source: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm)

Btw I slept soundly for today and I'm having an extraordinarily quiet day, the tinnitus is almost imperceptible even with my ears blocked.

Knowing tinnitus I'm sure it'll worsen soon, maybe already by this evening. But getting a respite for even just a few hours is just golden.

Hi @KotaDomowa! I'm happy you feel better now. When did you think you started to feel a positive effect on your tinnitus?

Question for other Lenire users.

I had a pretty evil hiss in my left ear but after using Lenire it has turned into something I could describe as a kind of rolling sound, a bit like this:

Has anyone experienced something similar?

It is way less annoying than my evil hiss, and not as loud, but I am wondering if in the end it will go away?

It is way less annoying than my evil hiss, and not as loud, but I am wondering if in the end it will go away?
I don't think anyone can answer this. The fact that your tinnitus is affected by Lenire is great. That it is moving towards getting less annoying is also great. Based on what I've seen so far, this means that as long as you stay on the current timing thing should be getting gradually better.

But nobody can really tell how a specific sound will end up, most probably not even Neuromod themselves.

Well I'm making logical conclusions. Here is...…..
You're guessing. Not helpful.

Some people will take this at face value and I think we can all agree that there are people on this site in precarious situations. There are also some that aren't on the site anymore - a little more care required my friend.

You're guessing. Not helpful.

Some people will take this at face value and I think we can all agree that there are people on this site in precarious situations. There are also some that aren't on the site anymore - a little more care required my friend.
*educated guessing. Speculating, if you will.

I capitulated and postponed my appointment until September. The whole coronavirus thing was the straw that broke the camel's back, and of course it would be great to see more positive data before committing to the treatment.

@Mike T does the decibel reduction make any difference to you?
Not really, If I hadn't been tested for the masking level I wouldn't have known a difference. As most people say it's the reaction to the noise that's the key and I'm sure it is. Sometimes the noise can be there and not bother me. And then there's times the noise is just torture. If the not bother me side can take over the torture side then that's good enough for me.

Alright, I'm back home again. I've used the device 3 times so far. It's way too early to say anything at all, but the tinnitus seems VERY SLIGHTLY lower after using it and I haven't had a spike so far. I might report back in a few weeks. It depends if there's anything meaningful to report.

Not really, If I hadn't been tested for the masking level I wouldn't have known a difference. As most people say it's the reaction to the noise that's the key and I'm sure it is. Sometimes the noise can be there and not bother me. And then there's times the noise is just torture. If the not bother me side can take over the torture side then that's good enough for me.
That's really interesting, you had a pretty decent reduction yet didn't notice a major difference. I guess dB reduction gets a lot more mileage with mild sufferers :(

That's really interesting, you had a pretty decent reduction yet didn't notice a major difference. I guess dB reduction gets a lot more mileage with mild sufferers :(
Yeah that is a pretty big reduction assuming the MML test is accurate and meaningful of course

Yeah that is a pretty big reduction assuming the MML test is accurate and meaningful of course
I think it might be because his tinnitus is so loud that even with a reduction like that, he can still hear it in most places so it's hard to compare. Keep in mind they're using the weird tinnitus scale where ~5 is normal tinnitus.

I think it might be because his tinnitus is so loud that even with a reduction like that, he can still hear it in most places so it's hard to compare.
That is what I think is the case. I haven't gone back for my mid point adjustment and now with the coronavirus thing, I don't know that I want to do 24 hours in a plane from Asia to get my tinnitus measured and the device readjusted, but I am pretty confident that I have experienced a mild reduction. The thing is if my 54 dB MML becomes a 48 dB...¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I think it is still worth it as it makes that sort of intangible difference that allows habituation and living with it a bit easier, but I think that explains why severe sufferers seems to have meh results; overwhelmingly it remains a loud constant presence in my life. All that being said, on the positive side my quieter days are quieter and my worse days aren't as bad. I more often feel that I can live with it. So that is something, I just wish it could get to the point that my normal is noisy environments could mask it. Susan Shore, I'm looking at you!

That is what I think is the case. I haven't gone back for my mid point adjustment and now with the coronavirus thing, I don't know that I want to do 24 hours in a plane from Asia to get my tinnitus measured and the device readjusted, but I am pretty confident that I have experienced a mild reduction. The thing is if my 54 dB MML becomes a 48 dB...¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
I think you'll be just fine staying on the first timing for the time being, or even indefinitely.

I'll be providing an update in 2 weeks when I'm 6 weeks into my treatment.

I said I will be back at 12 weeks but I see so many people that don't know anything concluding nonsense that I feel like I need to update people.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now