• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Well, many of those who have genuinely disabling tinnitus would come back to report of their success with Lenire (if there was any success to be reported about, that is.) Not everyone of course, but in our experience the severe sufferers are more likely to report back on things.

We also personally know many severe sufferers who have tried Lenire to no avail.

Finally, Hubert Lim, Chief Scientific Officer of Neuromod, said at the TRI 2024 conference, during the Neuromod-hosted dinner: "Lenire is just a distraction for the brain."

It's true that Tinnitus Talk steers towards those who are severely afflicted by tinnitus, but this is also the group that most desperately needs effective treatments, and Lenire isn't that. Period.
I saw an interview once with Ross O'Neill where he said tinnitus patients with hyperacusis had better outcomes than non-hyperacusis patients with tinnitus when using Lenire. He wasn't super clear what those better outcomes were - an improvement in hyperacusis, tinnitus, or both. Needless to say, I was left hanging and disappointed...

We also personally know many severe sufferers who have tried Lenire to no avail.
When you say many severe sufferers, do you mean 3 or 4, or more like 30-40? I know you have had tinnitus much longer than me, suffered longer, and had more conversations than me, so I trust your judgment and respect your commentary. I wonder how many you have encountered.

I'm about to end week six of my Lenire treatment.

This week, I went three consecutive days without tinnitus.

However, I woke up with a spike yesterday morning, and my tinnitus returned to its uncomfortable worst. This has been the pattern since I started the treatment: good days and bad days.

It's still very early on, but I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has had this type of experience.
Having good and bad days is normal. With or without 'treatment'.

@linearb, when do you reckon you will get your hands on Auricle? I know you have experience in technology.
Who knows! Whenever they start selling them, or I get bored enough to try to make my own. I've changed jobs like three times since I did that trial, and now I work with a bunch of CS/EE nerds, many of whom have tinnitus, but we're all too busy doing other stuff so far for side projects mucking with Arduino. Everyone I've shown the basic paper to has agreed it would be pretty simple to replicate the process in hardware; different people have different views on the risk profile.
Are you still on your medication cocktail with no plan of tapering just yet?
I have dropped the Gabapentin entirely and cut my Klonopin dose by between 12% and 25% over the last six months. I think my tinnitus is different and subjectively louder, but so far, I'm not thinking about it much more.
I think you misunderstood @dd314. I don't think there's been any new upgrade to correct any latency issues, but the CEO claims that the latency has been corrected for since day 1, and is a non-issue.
It's entirely possible to do this, but it's just dumb to me as a professional code monkey. A wire solves this problem with zero compensation. Using an overloaded and fundamentally not-that-great stack of protocols like (whatever version of) Bluetooth and coding a technical ouroboros around it to avoid latency that you wouldn't need to adjust for in the first place if you were using a wire seems like a peak "cool tech idiocy."
Did you go for Lenire? What results have you had, if any? I have it available near me, but the $4950 cost is a little much of a chance to take.
Very risky chance unless you don't mind throwing away $5000 for something that's highly unlikely to lower tinnitus and could make it worse.
I haven't seen any compelling evidence aside from anecdotes that any of these things can have a permanently negative effect, and my conversations with the UMich staff about both their tech and Lenire (specifically) make me think it's likely to be safe for me. I have no comment on other people's situations, and yes, "likely" is doing some work there.

I have $5000 sitting in an HSA that I could throw at this tomorrow. The nearest place that provides this is a 4-hour round trip. It's a 2-visit deal at least, so it's been life getting in the way, not money -- very busy with work lately and trying to help do organization and jamming with the local clique of electronic musicians and guitarists I know. I'm behind on mowing and every other piece of property maintenance that I am not paying someone else to do for me. Both kids are shifting from their school year routines to summer.

So, it's been a mess around here lately. I just got back from interstate travel, and I'm about to start Ketamine therapy (not really at all with tinnitus in mind; I am dealing with substantial emotional turmoil around a situation with aging relatives and them having to move). I don't really like crossing the streams of doing a ton of stuff at once.

I think this will happen at some point in 2024. But I'm also very cynical as to the results, which means I'm not in a screaming hurry, but also, if I get any positive results, I'll be as surprised as anyone else ;)

$5000 is a lot of money. That's like ten big grocery trips for our family of 4 (or 20 trips if you go back to 2019 prices ;)), but compared to the amount of money I spent on my tinnitus from 2010-2017, it's a drop in the bucket.

I bet I spent $10,000 doing that UMich study; I just wanted to pay to be a cutting-edge lab rat. (The trial was free. 10-15 trips from DC -> MI with multi-day stays attached to them were definitely not free). I heard that in subsequent studies, they did not allow people from very far out of the area; I was the only one, and maybe the logistical hassles I encountered a couple of times made them rethink that wisdom. Or, perhaps they quickly could enroll a bunch of local people, I don't know.

I lost touch with the UMich lab in about 2020, and I don't presently have contact information for anyone there besides Dr. Shore. I might reach out to her again at the end of the year.

This might be a scam. Is this guy a paid actor for Lenire? He said, "tinnitus is zero. I hear nothing."

It looks like different new organizations and even the Neuromod X account were linked to this guy's story. Looks suspicious.

This might be a scam. Is this guy a paid actor for Lenire? He said, "tinnitus is zero. I hear nothing."

It looks like different new organizations and even the Neuromod X account were linked to this guy's story. Looks suspicious.
Personally, I don't think these are fake...

Regardless, I've come across enough testimonials that I 100 percent believe are real. One from the founder of the Monzo credit card, who would absolutely not be inclined to lie due to the damage it could do to his reputation.

Sadly, I've come across too many reports where it has made the condition a lot worse. And it doesn't seem that Neuromod is doing anything to stop the adverse results.

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 1.37.12 PM.png

It's a pretty reputable dude. Partner at YCombinator, arguably the best accelerator/incubator of the ZIRP era.

View attachment 57091

It's a pretty reputable dude. Partner at YCombinator, arguably the best accelerator/incubator of the ZIRP era.
According to this page, YCombinator has funded Auricle in 2024.

YCombinator doesn't seem to have funded Neuromod, though. I used this search. I was hoping YCombinator had funded Neuromod. That would have been a pleasant conflict of interest...

The audiologist apparently quotes an 83 percent success rate.
Mostly placebo, but that guy didn't say his tinnitus just improved; he's saying his tinnitus is completely gone, "zero," and "I hear nothing."

View attachment 57091

Lenire can NEVER make a THI of 75 to a THI of 15-20.

If Tom Blomfield really did have a THI of 75, he probably wouldn't have been able to work for three years and would have sunk into depression.

(I tested Lenire here in Munich back in 2021; it did nothing, zero.)

The audiologist apparently quotes an 83 percent success rate.
What amazing precision! All scammers claim an 80% success rate. I heard an 80% success rate for TRT and an 80% success rate for Lenire. Isn't that amazing?

TENT-A3 Publication:
Results said:
In participants with moderate or more severe tinnitus, there is a clinically superior performance of bimodal treatment (58.6%; 95% CI: 43.5%, 73.6%; p = 0.022) compared to sound therapy alone (43.2%; 95% CI: 29.7%, 57.8%), which is not observed in the full cohort across all severity groups. Consistent results are observed for the secondary endpoint based on the Tinnitus Functional Index (bimodal treatment: 45.5%; 95% CI: 31.7%, 59.9%; sound-only stimulation: 29.6%; 95% CI: 18.2%, 44.2%; p = 0.010), where a responder exceeds 13 points. There are no device related serious adverse events. These positive outcomes led to FDA De Novo approval of the Lenire device for tinnitus treatment.
Combining sound with tongue stimulation for the treatment of tinnitus: a multi-site single-arm controlled pivotal trial

I'd be interested in an analysis of whether this data changes the overall outlook on Lenire as a tool. I also (speculating here) wonder if Dr. Lim's role with the company may be to continue to develop Lenire to more closely mirror the signal timing that the Shore device uses (i.e., are they / will they be targeting the second mode of stimulation to be more than just a "distraction for the brain?)

I'm quite surprised by the low number of worsening cases in the study and even more surprised that they were resolved during the trial. From my experience, I have come across just as many stories about Lenire causing a worsening as success stories.

One positive takeaway from this is the relatively small sample size—only 112 participants. This should help ease any concerns that the Auricle trial was too small to draw meaningful conclusions.

What amazing precision! All scammers claim an 80% success rate. I heard an 80% success rate for TRT and an 80% success rate for Lenire. Isn't that amazing?
You're the funniest person I've seen on Tinnitus Talk. I'm glad you're here with us, but at the same time, I wish you didn't have to be here and go through this pain. Still, I want to thank you for the humor in your posts. Even when I'm feeling my worst, I stumble upon something you've written in a random thread, and it makes me laugh. I'm really glad you're around, my friend :D

You're the funniest person I've seen on Tinnitus Talk. I'm glad you're here with us, but at the same time, I wish you didn't have to be here and go through this pain. Still, I want to thank you for the humor in your posts. Even when I'm feeling my worst, I stumble upon something you've written in a random thread, and it makes me laugh. I'm really glad you're around, my friend :D
Heh, I don't think anyone has ever described me as a funny person, much less funniest! :) Rather surly, cynical, and always complaining.

Well, thank you!

Below is from the Brai3n clinic, one of the centers involved in the trial.
We are proud that we were an important link in this research.

However, it is important that we qualify the results!

Approximately 10% of people with tinnitus are eligible for the Lenire device, 60% of these people notice an improvement in their tinnitus.

The device is therefore certainly not a miracle cure.

In addition to this device, other treatment methods are possible.

It remains important that we continue to focus on scientific research to continue searching for a method that can make the tinnitus sound disappear itself.
So, 6% of the population will find this effective.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now