Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Are we talking THI scores because it was used in the clinical trials by the way?
Yes, it's one of the ways to track viability of a product. It is obviously very subjective though. It is what it is until they find a more scientific method for testing.

Is there background noise in the bar, people talking? Like a coffee shop level of loudness? If so I'd classify that as moderate unless some loud noise at the bar spiked it. Unless it's a super quiet bar with no people talking / no noises at all which is unlikely.

I can't hear my tinnitus in most loud restaurants, bars, cafes (tested at 80-90 dB) unless I use my hands to cover my ears.

THI isn't the best way to evaluate things because A LOT of the questions are very subjective and do not relate directly to tinnitus severity and loudness. I would be more concerned about how much Lenire decreased your perception / loudness of your tinnitus and if it made highly distressing sounds into more softer tolerable sounds you can easily ignore.
I was outside, only me and music in the background. I've got days that it seems to be a lot better. I have to admit I think it's never been this loud. Yes, that's the 4000€ lottery ticket... I wonder how much it would do for me, if it does...

A 10 point difference, isn't it the same as having a good and a bad day? 7 points in the THI must be next to nothing?

I was outside, only me and music in the background. I've got days that it seems to be a lot better. I have to admit I think it's never been this loud. Yes, that's the 4000€ lottery ticket... I wonder how much it would do for me, if it does...

A 10 point difference, isn't it the same as having a good and a bad day? 7 points in the THI must be next to nothing?
7-10 points or something was the benchmark for "clinically significant improvements". I am guessing responses will be from "cured" to a dramatic reduction in tinnitus, to only small changes.

So if my THI is 58 and if I get 7 to 10 points reduction on the THI [at best] from Lenire, I'm looking at 48 which is a moderate handicap?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Am I getting this right?

Are we saying that this device will give you a 7-10 point reduction on the THI test?

And that is deemed to be successful?

I had hopes it would put me from severe tinnitus to moderate.

If Lenire helps me sleep normally again that would be a huge victory. I haven't had a good night's sleep in over a year. I don't expect it to eliminate my tinnitus, but in my mind ANY reduction is better than nothing. I've got the money sitting in the bank right now waiting for when I can get my hands on it.

Are we saying that this device will give you a 7-10 point reduction on the THI test?

And that is deemed to be successful?

I had hopes it would put me from severe tinnitus to moderate.
That is the minimum amount to meet the standard for 'clinically significant'. That doesn't mean that was the 'average' reduction for most patients. But only 2/3 met this standard of improvement. So I'd say there's a 66-70% chance of getting a 10 point reduction on THI. But THI isn't everything, a lot of the questions are super subjective and your anxiety and thoughts could make the score much higher. But obviously more dramatic reductions (20-40 points) in THI would show actual improvements.

Some people had no more tinnitus after the trial. Some had less distress and didn't hear it all the time anymore. It will depend on the person. But this is the first device to come to the market that has actually wiped away tinnitus in some people and actually reduced tinnitus loudness in the long run.

It's not perfect yet and won't work for everyone but it's probably the best commercial treatment for tinnitus available until Michigan and Minnesota release their devices.

Honestly, this psychological indicator means nothing for me. I have long accepted that I have to try Lenire without any guarantee, with hope looking at the "-17 dB" cases.

Do you guys think, with the information that we have, Lenire will help with static white noise-type tinnitus?
I can't see why it won't, it's the only reason why I would try it. My normal tinnitus is at least maskable, your tinnitus is new so the head tinnitus will get better.

Honestly, this psychological indicator means nothing for me. I have long accepted that I have to try Lenire without any guarantee, with hope looking at the "-17 dB" cases.
Exactly. I am looking at all the good outcomes this device has done. No other tinnitus treatment has ever led to a 17 dB decrease in tinnitus loudness that stayed that way for 12 months+ (most likely permanent reduction). That is a real reduction in tinnitus severity.

No more 'there is no treatment for tinnitus'. Well if I have to live with tinnitus, at least I'll know I have the most mild version of tinnitus possible.

So if my THI is 58 and if I get 7 to 10 points reduction on the THI [at best] from Lenire, I'm looking at 48 which is a moderate handicap?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Am I getting this right?
THI isn't all that reliable. Technically I got 70 points on THI, but I'm hopeful. Whether it's Lenire or Susan Shore's device or whatever else comes up in the next decade, I'm fine with any improvement. Whether it's worth it or not depends simply on financial status. But eventually the prices will probably fall, so even that won't matter. Have I been suicidal over tinnitus? Yes, many days. But it's better now than at any other point to get tinnitus, as we're approaching cures whereas in the past we had much worse technology.

THI isn't all that reliable. Technically I got 70 points on THI, but I'm hopeful. Whether it's Lenire or Susan Shore's device or whatever else comes up in the next decade, I'm fine with any improvement. Whether it's worth it or not depends simply on financial status. But eventually the prices will probably fall, so even that won't matter. Have I been suicidal over tinnitus? Yes, many days. But it's better now than at any other point to get tinnitus, as we're approaching cures whereas in the past we had much worse technology.
Heads up, @linearb was in the University of Michigan clinical trial (Susan Shore) 4 years ago and had a dramatic decrease in his tinnitus. Although the results were temporary and went away after users stopped using the device, those types of results are serious. 2 people in that trial had their tinnitus go away completely (temporarily).

You're right, there's finally real treatments coming out for tinnitus. But no matter how good the results are, these aren't cures. You will still have tinnitus even if you can't hear it. It will be interesting to see if people are 'cured' by these devices and then go to a loud party or bar with earplugs... will their tinnitus come back easily?

Heads up, @linearb was in the University of Michigan clinical trial (Susan Shore) 4 years ago and had a dramatic decrease in his tinnitus. Although the results were temporary and went away after users stopped using the device, those types of results are serious. 2 people in that trial had their tinnitus go away completely (temporarily).

You're right, there's finally real treatments coming out for tinnitus. But no matter how good the results are, these aren't cures. You will still have tinnitus even if you can't hear it. It will be interesting to see if people are 'cured' by these devices and then go to a loud party or bar with earplugs... will their tinnitus come back easily?
I had an opportunity to get in touch with a person who was part of TENT-A1. The effect was "significant", no more spikes and is now "back to normal life". The result remained the same once the trial was over, no setbacks/loudness increase.

Another interesting thing was that he doesn't experience tinnitus spikes anymore combined with overall improved sound perception (crying kid was unbearable before, after the trial it's only "annoying").

Also @kelpiemsp here might share his experience, if he can live "normally" (go to cinema/noisy places and has no increase/spike afterwards).

If the device will be spike-stopper after noise exposure in noisy events/places (for many of us this equals to getting back to normal life) and can lower the volume of tinnitus at the same time, I'm going to consider it a huge success, because there is nothing else available for us...

It will be interesting to see if people are 'cured' by these devices and then go to a loud party or bar with earplugs... will their tinnitus come back easily?
We who have the dubious honor of being experienced tinnitus sufferers must warn any newbies that Lenire is NOT regenerative medicine, so it is NOT license to abuse your ears.

Lucking out by having Lenire work for you and then going to a loud party would be like winning a pile of money, then throwing a lit match at it to see whether it burns.

I for one will not relax my precautions one bit if Lenire works for me. My ongoing 30-year ride through tinnitus hell was quite enough for a lifetime.

If Lenire helps me sleep normally again that would be a huge victory. I haven't had a good night's sleep in over a year. I don't expect it to eliminate my tinnitus, but in my mind ANY reduction is better than nothing. I've got the money sitting in the bank right now waiting for when I can get my hands on it.
Money talks and bullshit runs a marathon.

17 dB reduction would be awesome and spectacular, I would give all my savings to achieve that.
17 dB reduction and my tinnitus will likely be barely audible... I have no idea what my current tinnitus dB is when it's bad, but if I had to guess I would say maybe 40-45 dB...

But I have reactive tinnitus.

We will know within weeks of Leniere's release if this thing is going to work on a mass scale, how much and for how long. My gut feeling is that it will indeed help some people but will not be the sweeping changes everyone is hoping for. Just as your brain can adapt to changes in hearing with tinnitus, I also think that it will equally adapt to stimulation of the brain meaning it may very well find was to bring back tinnitus.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I am not a scientist but there must be a reason why even the people who had the best results only responded temporarily. Even past devices which supposedly worked such as VNS stimulation was only temporarily effective.

I do not except much success with my type of reactive tinnitus which can be whisper quiet one day or more and screaming loud other days.

We who have the dubious honor of being experienced tinnitus sufferers must warn any newbies that Lenire is NOT regenerative medicine, so it is NOT license to abuse your ears.

Lucking out by having Lenire work for you and then going to a loud party would be like winning a pile of money, then throwing a lit match at it to see whether it burns.

I for one will not relax my precautions one bit if Lenire works for me. My ongoing 30-year ride through tinnitus hell was quite enough for a lifetime.
Exactly, even if it eliminated my tinnitus 100%, I'm still never using headphones or blasting loud music ever again.

We will know within weeks of Leniere's release if this thing is going to work on a mass scale, how much and for how long. My gut feeling is that it will indeed help some people but will not be the sweeping changes everyone is hoping for. Just as your brain can adapt to changes in hearing with tinnitus, I also think that it will equally adapt to stimulation of the brain meaning it may very well find was to bring back tinnitus.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I am not a scientist but there must be a reason why even the people who had the best results only responded temporarily. Even past devices which supposedly worked such as VNS stimulation was only temporarily effective.

I do not except much success with my type of reactive tinnitus which can be whisper quiet one day or more and screaming loud other days.
What I'm hoping for is that bimodal stimulation 'holds the line' for us temporarily while we wait for a cure to the root cause of the problem.

As much as I hate tinnitus. being able to regrow our inner hair cells like birds or reptiles do should be what we're aiming for. Hearing loss in and of itself is a horrible thing, and eventually, all mammals lose their hearing with age because evolution screwed us over.

I had an opportunity to get in touch with a person who was part of TENT-A1. The effect was "significant", no more spikes and is now "back to normal life". The result remained the same once the trial was over, no setbacks/loudness increase.

Another interesting thing was that he doesn't experience tinnitus spikes anymore combined with overall improved sound perception (crying kid was unbearable before, after the trial it's only "annoying").

Also @kelpiemsp here might share his experience, if he can live "normally" (go to cinema/noisy places and has no increase/spike afterwards).

If the device will be spike-stopper after noise exposure in noisy events/places (for many of us this equals to getting back to normal life) and can lower the volume of tinnitus at the same time, I'm going to consider it a huge success, because there is nothing else available for us...
I guess maybe it's possible it fixes the part in our brains that needs to be fixed? In some cases, calming down the firing of neurons completely, not to eliminate the volume, but from them even getting more hyperactive and the sound getting louder. Dope. :)

So if I'm reading this right?? So many pages to go through which I haven't got the concentration to read so apologies if this has already been answered.

Even if this does work, it could be temporary? If that does happen, do you just use the tongue tingler and device again or will it have less effect each time you use it? Is there a danger of overuse and then possibly causing more damage?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now