Levetiracetam (Keppra) Worked for My Hyperacusis

Thanks for the for the answer @Danny Boy,
I do not know about you.
But in France. We are not talking of Trobalt, regatibine, flupirtine... Maybe in England ?

I do not know at all how to convince my doctor prescribed me this drugs. It's easy for you?
How I can do?
There is no medical study
I think Viking went to Switzerland?

Sorry for my English. I'm beginner
Thanks a lot man
Hope...

Thanks for the for the answer @Danny Boy,
I do not know about you.
But in France. We are not talking of Trobalt, regatibine, flupirtine... Maybe in England ?

I do not know at all how to convince my doctor prescribed me this drugs. It's easy for you?
How I can do?
There is no medical study
I think Viking went to Switzerland?

Sorry for my English. I'm beginner
Thanks a lot man
Hope...

You need to find a doctor who cares about your wellbeing and understands how life-threatening tinnitus is to your mental health.

Off Course @Danny Boy ,
I try to find a document on the Trobalt... Otherwise I will never have to keppra. :-(
You still take ?

I still take both yes.

"Li et al. (2013) demonstrated the role of the KV7 channels in the induction of tinnitus in the mouse dorsal cochlear nucleus model, and showed that retigabine may prevent the development of tinnitus. We estimated the therapeutic potential of Kþ channel openers in suppressing tinnitus-like activity by quantifying the responses in the auditory cortical networks. Retigabine had the highest therapeutic potential, with a therapeutic concentration of 7.4 mM – a concentration at which counteraction against induced- hyperactivity were effective – followed by NS1619 (15.2 mM), flupir- tine (23.3 mM), and isopimaric acid (30.0 mM). These values were well within the range of their effective concentrations against epilepsy (3–100 mM; Kobayashi et al., 2008), thus, possible off-label treatment for tinnitus is plausible (and safe). Clinical studies had calculated the free brain concentration of retigabine taken at 1200 mg/day"

That's your proof buddy. I've attached a file which will be your proof on trobalt.

Attachments

• Trobalt proof.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
while I was on trobalt (I`m out of it because my doctor was obstructed to continue giving it to me by a neurologist friend of him) my H and the pain I had from loud noises like cutlery also went down a lot. to the point it didn`t hurt anymore. Now it hurts again being off RTG.

Juan said the same thing as you. Hyperacusis came back mildly, but he was gonna get some keppra. Anyone heard back from him?

Issue with Geo is, that he fixates on the side-effects of any and I mean any drug to the point where he gets paranoid. To be honest, I was like that with trobalt and never took it for a few days had one massive spike and said, if I don't sort this out it will be the end of me. Took trobalt and don't regret it.
I think he is absolutely right to consider possible side-effects before taking drugs. It's a good thing that Trobalt (or even Trobalt/Keppra) is working for you and others who tried it. But there are people who's had nasty side-effects.

It's up to each and one of us, should we take it or not, but one has to be aware of side-effects. I don't think it's paranoia at all, seems more like common sense to me.

I think he is absolutely right to consider possible side-effects before taking drugs. It's a good thing that Trobalt (or even Trobalt/Keppra) is working for you and others who tried it. But there are people who's had nasty side-effects.

It's up to each and one of us, should we take it or not, but one has to be aware of side-effects. I don't think it's paranoia at all, seems more like common sense to me.

Well, he believes keppra is giving him ear pains and loads of things related to the ear. Keppra doesn't work on the ear and there is no reported side-effect related to ear pain. However he wants to take xanax now which does have a side-effect, ear pain. So make sense of that. Xanax also won't cure or treat hyperacusis. He just gave up on keppra...It's a real shame.

Well, he believes keppra is giving him ear pains and loads of things related to the ear. Keppra doesn't work on the ear and there is no reported side-effect related to ear pain. However he wants to take xanax now which does have a side-effect, ear pain. So make sense of that. Xanax also won't cure or treat hyperacusis. He just gave up on keppra...It's a real shame.
Bro you keep talking like your a doctor, you aint. and keppra did give me side effects.. crazy how i dont have aching pain through out the day just randomly anymore since stopping keppra huh why is that and "loads" i just said ear aches..just because it didnt for you doesnt mean another wont get side effects...and i said xanax for one day just to knock me out since i got exposed twice and was in great aching pain..when did i say itll treat H.

Also, to correct you but nobody has reported really bad side-effects related to keppra. Keppra is a very safe drug given to babies from 1 month old and to dogs. The only side-effects Viking and me have had is headaches, which isn't too bad.

Bro you keep talking like your a doctor, you aint. and keppra did give me side effects.. crazy how i dont have aching pain through out the day just randomly anymore since stopping keppra huh why is that and "loads" i just said ear aches..just because it didnt for you doesnt mean another wont get side effects...and i said xanax for one day just to knock me out since i got exposed twice and was in great aching pain..when did i say itll treat H.

Any drug will give you side-effects that's true. Anyway, this ear ache you speak of, well, xanax does list ear pain as a side-effect, so how do you know it wasn't from that? Also, you say you get these pains quite a lot even when not on keppra, so how do you know it's keppra? Also, why are you the only one in the world reporting ear pain as a side-effect of keppra? Just seems very odd. Xanax, trobalt are dangerous, not keppra.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, you don't want to give keppra a go. So I'm not gonna bother anymore and anyway, I do care about you and just wanted to get rid of your hyperacusis. Good luck.

Also, to correct you but nobody has reported really bad side-effects related to keppra. Keppra is a very safe drug given to babies from 1 month old and to dogs. The only side-effects Viking and me have had is headaches, which isn't too bad.
Well no one here has, but when reading about keppra it turns out to be quite a lot of possible side effects, one of them is earache.
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/keppra-side-effects.html

Any drug will give you side-effects that's true. Anyway, this ear ache you speak of, well, xanax does list ear pain as a side-effect, so how do you know it wasn't from that? Also, you say you get these pains quite a lot even when not on keppra, so how do you know it's keppra? Also, why are you the only one in the world reporting ear pain as a side-effect of keppra? Just seems very odd. Xanax, trobalt are dangerous, not keppra.
ive never taken xanax you would know that if you actually read my thread carefully..and like i said idk why it did give me more aching through out the day, and i have said before i do get pain when exposed that lasts a couple of hours but only when exposed. i was getting great aching pains on days i wasnt even exposed that i never get. i am no doctor so i cant tell you why it happened or why i was experiencing that. those aches hurt more than when i get exposed felt like someone was twisting my eardrum for hours or through out the day

ive never taken xanax you would know that if you actually read my thread carefully..and like i said idk why it did give me more aching through out the day, and i have said before i do get pain when exposed that lasts a couple of hours but only when exposed. i was getting great aching pains on days i wasnt even exposed that i never get. i am no doctor so i cant tell you why it happened or why i was experiencing that.
There is a listed side-effect as earache, so I was wrong. Strange how the NHS side doesn't list that as a side-effect. Very odd. Anyway, that explains the earache. Doesn't matter now anyway, if that side-effect was too much for you to handle it's ok. Still, I would've have liked to see if keppra would've got rid of your hyperacusis.

Well, the NHS site is useless. It doesn't list that as a side-effect. Not the worst side-effect on the planet, if you want to get rid of hyperacusis. But hey, what can you do?
bro i it was regular ear pain i would take it but this stuff had me almost pulling my hair and breaking walls on how much the pain would hurt at night..ill give it another try later on, im planning on getting a apartment at a more quiet community, so i can have quiet and rest my ears since my loud ass neighborhood keeps making me more worse, ill probably give it another try then if does it again then i know its the drug for sure..

bro i it was regular ear pain i would take it but this stuff had me almost pulling my hair and breaking walls on how much the pain would hurt at night..ill give it another try later on, im planning on getting a apartment at a more quiet community, so i can have quiet and rest my ears since my loud ass neighborhood keeps making me more worse, ill probably give it another try then if does it again then i know its the drug for sure..

I know what an earache is like, had loads of them, like loads. Still, hyperacusis is worth getting rid of. Maybe the generic stuff would be better? As levetracetam on the NHS site doesn't list earaches as a side-effect.

Well, the NHS site is useless. It doesn't list that as a side-effect. Not the worst side-effect on the planet, if you want to get rid of hyperacusis. But hey, what can you do?
Don't mean to argue with you. You're a nice guy and I think you contribute with a lot to this forum. It's great if keppra and trobalt work, but let's not jump to conclusions.

All the best!

There is a listed side-effect as earache, so I was wrong. Strange how the NHS side doesn't list that as a side-effect. Very odd. Anyway, that explains the earache. Doesn't matter now anyway, if that side-effect was too much for you to handle it's ok. Still, I would've have liked to see if keppra would've got rid of your hyperacusis.
I don't know about earache or headache. I 've been taking Keppra for 1 month, now at 2000 dayly, no sideffects, no headaches and no earaches whatsoever. May feel a bit sleepy especially if you are tired but that's it.

Don't mean to argue with you. You're a nice guy and I think you contribute with a lot to this forum. It's great if keppra and trobalt work, but let's not jump to conclusions.

All the best!

Here's proof that Keppra works on the KV3.1 channels, as does Autifony's new drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20065495

Experimental and simulation studies on the mechanisms of levetiracetam-mediated inhibition of delayed-rectifier potassium current (KV3.1): contribution to the firing of action potentials.
Huang CW1, Tsai JJ, Huang CC, Wu SN.
Author information

Abstract
Levetiracetam (LEV) is an S-enantiomer pyrrolidone derivative with established antiepileptic efficacy in generalized epilepsy and partial epilepsy. However, its effects on ion currents and membrane potential remain largely unclear. We investigated the effect of LEV on differentiated NG108-15 neurons. In these cells treated with dibutyryl cyclic AMP, the expression level of the K(V)3.1 mRNA was elevated. With the aid of patch clamp technology, we found that LEV could suppress the amplitude of delayed rectifier K(+) current (I(K(DR))) in a concentration-dependent manner with an IC(50) value of 37 microM. LEV (30 microM) shifted the steady-state activation of I(K(DR)) to a more positive potential by 10 mV, without shifting the steady-state inactivation of I(K(DR)). Neither Na(+), nor erg (ether-a-go-go-related)-mediated K(+) and ATP-sensitive K(+) currents were affected by LEV (100 microM). LEV increased the duration of action potentials in current clamp configuration. Simulation studies in a modified Hodgkin-Huxley neuron and network unraveled that the reduction of slowly inactivating I(K(DR)) resulted in membrane depolarization accompanied by termination of the firing of action potentials in a stochastic manner. Therefore, the inhibitory effects on slowly inactivating I(K(DR)) (K(V)3.1-encoded current) may constitute one of the underlying mechanisms through which LEV affect neuronal activity in vivo.

And KV3.1 channels have functions in the auditory processing, so it makes sense why it could potentially work for hyperacusis and tinnitus, for tinnitus it needs to be very potent I'm guessing.

I don't know about earache or headache. I 've been taking Keppra for 1 month, now at 2000 dayly, no sideffects, no headaches and no earaches whatsoever. May feel a bit sleepy especially if you are tired but that's it.

Yes and Viking and me only had an headache so far. It seems very safe. Have you seen any results at all?

That's better than nothing right? Well, up the dose to 3000mg and keep on going. I reckon you're on the road to greatness my friend.
I wanted to up the dose but the doc said I should stay at 2000... Sometimes I feel stupid I even ask them since it is I (well, you) that brought him the Keppra suggestion. I 'll stay for a second week at 2000 and see how that goes.

I wanted to up the dose but the doc said I should stay at 2000... I 'll stay for a second week a at 2000 and see how that goes.

Well, the maximum dose is 3000mg and it may be more beneficial. Plus it's quite safe...I'm on that dose and only a mild headache a few times, nothing too bad. I only wish Geo never got the earache as a side-effect, as I believe he could've potentially treated his hyperacusis/reactive tinnitus. But hey, I can't force people and I wouldn't do that anyway.

Monthly update: (1st week 500mg, ->1000->1500->2000 now at fifth week keeping 2000mg daily dosage).

-Tinnitus may be lower, there are still good and bad days but good days are much better.

-Sound distortion and hyperacusis are still not that good, but they are better. Music sounds better, there are songs that were distorted, now clearing up.

-Reactive T is a lot better. I can handle TV, music and generaly loud sounds without T going crazy. It still gets up but it has a limit now.

I have to point out that apart from keppra I take vitamin E (eviol) which I started before keppra and keep at it as it seemed to help.

I am uncertain whether Keppra, vitamins, weather change (going into summer) or even time passage is responsible for this. But something is happening. The progress is really slow but it is there. I hope it keeps on. I will keep you updated. For better or worse...

Monthly update: (1st week 500mg, ->1000->1500->2000 now at fifth week keeping 2000mg daily dosage).

-Tinnitus may be lower, there are still good and bad days but good days are much better.

-Sound distortion and hyperacusis are still not that good, but they are better. Music sounds better, there are songs that were distorted, now clearing up.

-Reactive T is a lot better. I can handle TV, music and generaly loud sounds without T going crazy. It still gets up but it has a limit now.

I have to point out that apart from keppra I take vitamin E (eviol) which I started before keppra and keep at it as it seemed to help.

I am uncertain whether Keppra, vitamins, weather change (going into summer) or even time passage is responsible for this. But something is happening. The progress is really slow but it is there. I hope it keeps on. I will keep you updated. For better or worse...

Hopefully in one more month's time, it'll be even better! Higher the dose and you'll be all cool! I'm super happy you're seeing results and it kind of reinforces that the KV3.1 channels have a place in tinnitus/hyperacusis...Which makes me wonder if Autifony's new drug helps with hyperacusis.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now