• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Meclizine (Postafen, Bonine) Helped a Guy to Cure Tinnitus

I see that most of you have given up on Postafen by now. Still, I'll go pick up some shortly. It's been a week since my spike started and maybe, just maybe, it can take the edge of the acute T.

...not that I think it will. So if it does it can't be placebo. ;)

Well, I'm back. I tried 1 pill att about 11:30 CET. Nothing happened... until maybe 15:30-16:00 when I started reacting worse to my T. I don't know if Postafen has anything to do with it, or if it was a general anxiety attack due to my current spike/worsened condition. I don't know what to make of this website, but if I interpret it right, Meclizine (Postafen) can actually CAUSE tinnitus. Thus it would make sense that's what happened. It was horrible.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/meclizine/tinnitus

I can't edit posts older than some amount of time. Markku, do you know how long it is?

I wrote a bit about a concert I attended in another thread.

Now, I can't tell since I haven't taken Postafen long enough streaks or very scientifically to really know, but I think I'll have to call placebo like Deep did. I remember taking it one day and it did nothing, tried with 50 mg too and no better. Postafen didn't permanently remove the tinnitus by taking it before a flight either, though I weren't bothered by it that weekend except short occasions. Do note I took picamilon at the same time. Doses were 25 mg Postafen and I think 100 mg picamilon, might have been 200 mg.

I'm trying Tinnitus Tamer now as my new hope. (y)

I've never heard of picamilon, but a quick googleing of it shows that it apparently has been used to treat tinnitus. What is it?

Btw, funny how almost any medicine can be googled with hits if you add tinnitus to your search. :)

Hi All, so many T-players here) any allopathic treatment remains a potential hammer. When Labs , Doctors & Gvts will finally catch that they have an interest to build a cure because of direct & undirect T-costs for society, it will be a mix (as we all know) of brain reprogrammation, drug being there to help him ... let's wait say 5-10years

As about Postafen or Dramamine , I have no feedback from here in France .... Anybody in the area ?

I've never heard of picamilon, but a quick googleing of it shows that it apparently has been used to treat tinnitus. What is it?

Niacin somehow combined with GABA which is supposed to calm something in the brain down. I don't really know. :cautious: I felt very calm the first days, but might have been placebo as well.

James, Thks for info about Agyrax - I doubt antihistamic properties will any impact on central T - and/or collateral remaining hyperacousia ... now, I am taking TONE which contains Niacin (hi Esko) in relatively modest proportions ... no big result for now ) - salvation (if ever) is maybe in somethg Rivotril (with anti-epilepsy properties ...) and whats is made currently by Auris medical (AM 101 test)

I recently returned from a cruise and because I am prone to sea sickness, I used the sea bands and Bonine, which is meclizine 25mg. I took one a day and I don't know if it was a combination of the sea bands and the meclizine, but my T was greatly reduced. A pharmacist I met on board said meclizine was often prescribed for T and that I should have my doctor write me a prescription for 90 days worth of meclizine. He said he realized it was sold over the counter, but that it was costly to buy it that way. I just saw on Amazon that you can buy 1000 pills for $30 but they are 12.5 mg.?? I may try it on a daily basis and take two tablets daily, one in morning and one before bed. Anyone else found these helped while cruising?

I haven't tried the Bonine yet, because I've heard from others that it causes extreme drowsiness. Did it affect you that way?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Sea Bands yet by themselves, for reduction of tinnitus? That would be a more natural way to control tinnitus. Anyone? If not, I may try it myself, and report back here on how it works.

Interesting stuff, yeah I have found a way to get it locally but only in quantity which is quite expensive, I don't want to spend a lot of money to find it does not work etc. But yeah I'm sure if I really looked I could find a pharmacist that maybe does a small amount but I have already been offered these 10 by Esko so I am going to take him up on that.
If you have access to the internet, you can get meclizine on Amazon for anywhere from $8 for 100 tablets to $30 for 1000 tablets. Check it out.

I haven't tried the Bonine yet, because I've heard from others that it causes extreme drowsiness. Did it affect you that way?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Sea Bands yet by themselves, for reduction of tinnitus? That would be a more natural way to control tinnitus. Anyone? If not, I may try it myself, and report back here on how it works.
Karen I tried the less drowsy Dramamine, but it is 25mg of meclizine and that and the sea bands worked great. I am going to try just taking the meclizine like every other day and see what happens?? After a while, the sea bands bother my wrists and I want to take them off. If you try just the sea bands let me know how it works.

@hulagirl, that's a deal! I've never used Sea Bands, so I don't know how tight they are to wear on the wrists constantly, but I may give it a try.

I hope the meclizine every other day works for you. Please do report back on how that works. How are you doing right now? Is the tinnitus still low?

Hi,

I've just found this post on swedish forum here:
http://forum.studio.se/index.php/topic/93942-snart-kan-vi-bota-tinnitus/ (in swedish)
where a guy posted a post and i will try to find these pills.

I have problems with tinnitus, the most on the left ear. And it certainly has arisen given that I do and play all the music in the headphones. Having just arrived home after a stay abroad, and since I'm both afraid of flying, and easily carsick I was recommended postafen 25mg motion sickness tablets. And when I ate them disappeared the beeping sound and it really has not come back yet. I will contact the company behind postafen on Monday and talk about this.
Postafen contains meclozine that suppresses the inner ear functions, and it seems to be just that which removes beep rustling sound. This is a prescription at the pharmacy.
sounds good, im gonna try it thanks.

Good find! Perhaps with niacin is even better.

I still experience some noise intermittently, but it's much less annoying than before. It appeared as kind of whooshing and suddenly turned tonal when I was in bed the other day. It's now higher frequency than I've had before, or simply lower volume. I'm not sure.

Recap: I went to that rock concert in December, acquired tinnitus that overlayed all sounds. Majority in left ear. It wasn't necessarily very loud, but since it put itself between or over all sounds it was very annoying and couldn't be masked by my efforts. I tried several types of noise, but they didn't really help me. In silence, the tinnitus was very obvious.

Edit: When I visited a doctor in February (I think) it turned out I had large wax plugs in both ears. After removing those I could obviously hear more clearly, but the tinnitus didn't go away. I believe it reduced in volume though.

I keep talking about it in past tense, which I sure hope can be continued. I really hope this works for you too, it would be wonderful. Amazing if it actually works on most tinnituses.

You're right I can't help everyone, but we'll see where that limit is when it's reached. :cat: I replied to your message.

Please just PM me if you like to have some sent to you, and we'll keep this thread clean. I'll have to get money up front for further requests. Paypal preferably. I also hope this isn't against any rule of the forum, but it really shouldn't be.

Edit: Lots of new posts I didn't see when I composed this, hope I didn't miss anything.
Hello Esko, I first read your post about the effects of Dramamine, Meclizine & Bovine with Niacin. I tried it 2 nights ago. The Dramamine helped me sleep, (it's been over a month). I took it again last night along with the Niacin. Nothing worked. My anxiety is terrible. did not sleep all night. I am glad I found this site but I am getting very worried. The hissing in both ears is worse when there is outside noise, IE:Tv, stereo, radio, etc. silence helps but the hissing is still there. Thanks for you advise.

Hello!

I read this a few days ago and decided to give it a shot, though my hopes weren't very high. Turns out it actually worked for me! My tinnitus has diminished to such levels it does not annoy me anymore. I'm not even always entirely sure it's still there, and I try not to listen, but I think I still have a little left. Even drinking alcohol today did not aggravate my tinnitus.

I'm so happy, this year has sucked. I got tinnitus at a rock concert in December and have been anxious, angry, and annoyed by the sound since. It wasn't extremely loud, but loud enough. Majority in the left ear, but some in the right ear too.

The noise was constantly there, sleeping was the only escape. It was such a disturbance to my thoughts, and nobody seems to really comprehend what it is like unless they also have it.

I have continued taking these pills in fear it might return. One per day and sometimes another one for the night so I wake up medicated. The box says the effect spans 12 hours. I read about them to see if they're safe to use this way and it seems they are. I have taken 6 of them over 4 days. I don't think I actually need them anymore, but I don't feel like taking that risk right now.

Now, I have been known to freak out about these things and possibly create them in my mind, so whatever the actual cause of my tinnitus was is unknown. I do know I experienced obnoxious noise and that I'm not at this time.

If you want to try this and can't get it anywhere, I can absolutely assist with that.
How did the dramamine, or what ever its called over there, work out for you?

How did the dramamine, or what ever its called over there, work out for you?
I tried Wal-dram( meclizine HCI 25 mg ) took 2 tabs last night and 1 this morning. Definitely noticed something of a reduction last night but it is quite tiring. And this morning not too sure. Worth 8 bucks? Yes

For those who want to try Meclinzine in Europe but can't buy it locally, Google for Agyrax. There is one pharmacy in Belgium and one in the Netherlands which ship it internationally. It's a pack of 50 and much cheaper than ordering Dramamine from the UK. Mine will arrive tomorrow but I don't have high hopes about it.

I read that this is a miracle medicine for women who suffer from morning sickness in case that you know anyone who could need it.

I think my t was noise induced,would meclizine still help? I am going to try it out today, could i get it at walgreens or cvs pharmacies over the counter? I will come and tell my results, anybody?

I took lots of meclizine when my vertigo first started. It barely helped with vertigo and did nothing for tinnitus.

I take betahistine now, and it helps with the dizziness a little bit, but also does nothing for tinnitus.

I recently took some bonine during a trip and did notice that my T wasn't as noticeable or bothersome. Could it have been because I was so excited and distracted being on vacation that I didn't have the time to really focus om my T? Maybe. I just took another pill of bonine because my T is pretty loud tonight, we will see if it has any effect. I'll try anything at this point

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now