• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Music with Bass and Hyperacusis Spike

I find music difficult to listen to due to the hearing distortion I have, but my ears also get fatigued by moderately loud sounds ~50db and it will spike my constant tones up as well. You may be suffering from some of the same symptoms I have.

Lower frequencies are interpreted differently than higher ones, so you could be exposing yourself to more bass than you know. Consumer Audio all throughout the mid 90s until quite recently tendeded to have very exaggerated bass production, and unless you are measuring it with a good decibel meter, I would not trust an app, especially not for bass, cell phone microphones aren't traditionally known for being good at recording low frequencies at all... (though they are improving of course).

@jaun:
Loudness is a subjective or relative phenomenon which the ear does not recognise. What the ear does recognise is the variation of physical (and absolute) pressure vibrations and the louder, or more powerful the sound (e.g. bass), the more vibration is set up and it is precisely these excessive vibrations that can cause the damage. Think of a lever (a cochlear hair cell) on a fragile pivot - if the lever is pushed back and forth forcefully (pressure vibrations), the joint will damage and break.

This smacks of acoustic trauma to me

@jaun:
Loudness is a subjective or relative phenomenon which the ear does not recognise. What the ear does recognise is the variation of physical (and absolute) pressure vibrations and the louder, or more powerful the sound (e.g. bass), the more vibration is set up and it is precisely these excessive vibrations that can cause the damage. Think of a lever (a cochlear hair cell) on a fragile pivot - if the lever is pushed back and forth forcefully (pressure vibrations), the joint will damage and break.

This smacks of acoustic trauma to me

Yeah but my hearing loss has nothing to do with the hairs. It's something else.

Fite me noob.
vx4yphjc7f6z.png

Thanks for being our MTX shield though

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now