MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. GamesB2
      No Mood

GamesB2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      uknown
      Practically, no we don't know.

The hype comes from this area of treatment (bimodal stimulation) being looked at by several different research teams and the results we have seen so far have all been positive with anecdotal evidence of it working from several members here.

So this device, looking good but realistically still a mixed bag.

The research this device is based on, looks very promising.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My wife says I am the world’s biggest skeptic
      - but then she does exaggerate quite a lot.....x

3. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Of course I do hope there is a successful outcome.
      Part of coping with this ‘thing,’ that doesn’t deserve to be named, is accepting its permanence, and moving on.
      And now you tell me that I might have to get used to it ‘getting better?’

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I could get used to it getting better @Jazzer very very easily.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      What are your thoughts on MuteButton helping with visual snow and related symptoms?

Visual snow is located in another area of the brain, but it is linked to tinnitus and I've seen multiple reports online about visual snow getting better with tinnitus.

At this point in time I'm more interested in how it can help with visual snow. I'm desperate. It's so much worse than loud tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-17 um 14.31.38.png
      visual_snow_update.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    9. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      • Agree Agree x 3
    10. GamesB2
      No Mood

GamesB2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      uknown
      I'm certainly skeptical about this, I admittedly haven't done much digging into what they're up to but I haven't come across any information on the trials they're supposedly running. If someone is aware please point me in their direction.

I do however think the organisation is very good and have donated large amounts to people who are the leaders in that area of research.

I hope one day soon to be able to see and hear clearly again without all this extra stimulation :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      How soon is now?

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      Wouldn’t be possible to be any sooner.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I'm hoping they announce their launch date in May.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      The wait for this must be incredibly frustrating - especially when expectations have been raised to such high levels at the end of last year. My advice though for anyone who doesn't have a sizeable amount of cash is to wait for another six months after the launch (whenever that may be!).

By that time we will have enough testimonies from people using the device to know whether it is the real deal or not - and there's a big difference between how you assess something you get for free in a clinical trial and how you assess it when you have just paid out several thousand pounds/dollars for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Advice Sought:

Has anyone considered or tried any of the T.E.N.S. (Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulation) kits that are, for example, available on Amazon? Could applying electrical stimulation to various nerves in the neck or ear area have an effect that might approximate Neuromod's?

16. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Excellent advice, david c.
      I jumped the gun and spent $5,269.00 on Desyncra when it was first available in Chicago, and as I have indicated elsewhere it was as useless as shining a flashlight on my head would have been.

My only question is: who will still be among the first to try this and report their findings to the rest of us?
      I am so tired of this after over five years that I would be very tempted to start ASAP if my audiologist provided it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That’s what I’m doing. No way I’m I spending £2-3k on an iPod placebo. If it works though, that’s another story. Until then, I will put up with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      I tried applying a TENS device directly behind my ear, no effect. Not that I really expected one - this wasn't even bimodal simulation, just unimodal.

• Like Like x 1
    19. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I have thought about it, but I still think you need to have the timing and sound stimulation right. I wouldn't want to risk making it worse. I also so did electroacupuncture and it didn't do anything for me.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      The price for Parasym tVNS Device is £599. Maybe the final price for the Neuromod kit won’t be £2-3k?

21. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    22. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      That's what I think, too. I'm not gonna lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. spedgas
      Fine

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m still pretty new to this. I have yet to be burned by an expensive device that doesn’t deliver. I would absolutely be the first to try this one if I could. Living in the US is going to keep that from happening. I used to hate that I wouldn’t be able to get this at first release, but now I think it’s probably a good thing I can’t get my hands on it until others have first. I firmly think it will help me, but I’m trying to mentally prepare for the potential that the relief won’t be to the level I expect it to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. MarkLud

MarkLud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/music/unknown
      We have one person on here who was part of the trial and her tinnitus is now absolutely GONE. We have another member who took part in the Minnesota bimodal trial -- which uses a similar method/technique -- and his tinnitus went from super loud to barely noticeable.

Sounds pretty good, eh?

We very much should be hopeful/excited/eager ... though as others have said, the complaining about how long it's taking is getting a bit annoying. Finally a legitimate treatment is on its way. It will be here soon enough.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    25. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dear Editor

Dubious

of Warlingham x

26. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I just saw an comment in an German bulletin board that a guy participated in the MuteButton trial in Regensburg Germany three years ago. I guess it was 2017.

Unfortunately it didn't have any effect for him :(

• Informative Informative x 2
    27. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have found quite a few of participants who said it didn’t do anything for them. The number is more than the anonymous @Clare B and @kelpiemsp who reported positive outcomes. Lots of high expectations from people before the device is released and also before even the actual papers are released (from both 2 large scale trials). The only thing that’s positive is from the Q&A from the CEO of the developers of the device. As I’ve found, the company selling it will always say it works, at least for some people. I’ve sort of lost interest in it, at least any comments from Neuromod saying that it works. Even if the papers show it has some effect, I will be waiting for real life testimonials to build up (if they ever do) saying how much relief they get and the chances of it working.

It’s going to cost at least €2,500 IMO based on the last sales in 2015. That isn’t a pretty penny to me for something that “might work, might not”.

If 100% of people responded, they could charge what they wanted, but seriously how much are you willing to fork out on something that might not work? I know we are all desperate, but in reality, I’m not forking out thousands for a treatment that has a low chance of working. How significant anyway is 2/3’s and what does clinically significant mean anyway to Neuromod? Trials can sometimes be manipulated to get the results they wanted. They are business people after all. Not slating them, I’m just exploring the possibilities of the harsh realities of the world we live in.

The other treatments before mentioned all appeared to come from genuine people, how did that work out? If Neuromod read this, they need to be aware of the crap that’s been sold over the years and the somewhat cynical veteran tinnitus sufferers. There’s one guy on Tinnitus Talk, who has spent around £20,000 over the years and how much relief came from that? Nothing? The only thing that helped was hearing aids which are on the NHS in the U.K.

Another thing I may choose to rely on, apart from testimonials from Tinnitus Talk and the net, is NICE - National Institute of Clinical Excellence. If they recommend it, you know it’s good. I can only hope Neuromod will be recommended by NICE one day, but from history, and having had tinnitus for a long time, I’m not going to be wasting good money.

I have learnt to be realistic and also cautious with tinnitus treatments from private companies. If you didn’t have tinnitus or your close ones didn’t have it and had no interest in it, would you invest in them? I wouldn't even at this stage, I consider it a very high risk investment and I would question if Neuromod will still be around in 5 years time.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Not fu*king soon enough.

29. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hey... on the bright side... a few folks, perhaps younger, perhaps less damaged, perhaps lucky, may find some relief from a treatment or technology. More than "habituation" done as we all do everyday... having and refining coping mechanisms to survive without pain and increase happiness.

We're waiting on multiple fronts. Let's stay positive!

For the record I've spent far more than 2,500 euros in pursuit of hedonistic indulgences.

My ears could use some pleasuring with some hot regenerative therapy followed by some slow loving in the form of neuromodulation. A brain ear orgasmic experience... it's cumming soon.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    30. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks very much Paulmanlike.

I have spent approximately $12,500.00 on useless treatments/supplements over the past 5 years (especially Desyncra).

I cannot allocate any more thousands for utterly effective treatments. I was counting on hearing that "90% had a 90% reduction."

This remind me of one of those flying machines before the Wright Brothers that would almost get off the ground and then collapse back to Earth.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1