MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Perhaps Neuromod must, after all those ENT congress presentations in the US, convince the local ENTs to establish the treatment for the potential patients.

I guess they didn't do this before and this is the reason why they are so busy and silent. It takes a lot of time for all the contract issues to be sorted and training professionals on how to use the device.

Before, in 2015, they offered the treatment directly from their office, right?

What I have learned so far is that there is absolutely no prediction if it works for you (except for those with additional hyperacusis).

You MUST try it to find out and spend that money with the risk that you lose it. Even the testimonials here and on YouTube will not help us.

As Neuromod itself seems not to know who will benefit and who won't - it would be absolutely fair that in the case it doesn't work, let's say after 6 weeks (where they think the most patients feel some improvement according to Hubert Lim), they offer some kind of refund for those who believe it doesn't do anything.

Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    2. spedgas
      Fine

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At this point I’m not terribly concerned by reports from trial participants who it didn’t work for. Both these studies had multiple arms where the patients were blinded to the parameters they received. The second study had eight or nine. Every participant did not receive the most effective treatment. That’s what made it a study. Once Neuromod decides on the final settings and everyone gets the same treatment we can concern ourselves with people who report it didn’t work.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Considering I acquired tinnitus in 1992, my tolerance for this flavor of foot-stompin'/fist-shaking/teeth-grittin' impatience is limited.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but seriously, learn to persevere. It can be done. It doesn't mean life will be pleasant, but at least tolerable.

Because I'm in the US I would not expect to get my hands on this for about a year anyway. That means in the meantime I have to plan my immediate future around employing all the usual coping mechanisms (which is downing St. John's Wort pills like they're candy and bathing myself in masking sources). It's not fun but it's how I've always gotten through life day by day. It's just harder now since my tinnitus seems worse, but I can still make it through the next 12 months.

Everyone has to figure out what coping mechanisms will help them get by, but coming here expecting a quick fix is just magical thinking. I feel sorry for those who feel they are on the precipice of suicide but things aren't going to move faster by dropping F bombs into a forum thread.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Absolutely @EDDTEKK, I would be delighted if they offered some refund or even better... being able to lease the device. You’d think why would they do this when they could sell it... but thinking about it - it could attract more ‘sales’ and they could potentially make more money this way. You can either then have the option to purchase it or return it maybe.

But going from the previous MuteButton at €2,500 at this point, I am choosing to wait and see. Got too many bills to pay, but I would lease it as soon as it’s available if I had the choice. Obviously I would want a new tongue tickler... unless my Hubert has been using it of course.

5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Feel for you Dave, back in the day I spent £300 on a “TinniTool” that was 5mw of laser power and about £200 on scam pills that promised a reduction. It’s amazing, I sort of knew I was getting ripped off but the desperation takes hold and you are drawn in. I learnt a valuable lesson from it. The only true thing that has helped me cope is having a positive mindset, I have learnt to live with it (doesn’t mean I like it) and I have high hopes that a common condition like tinnitus and a very high demand will eventually lead to new treatments. Being up to date with research is my coping mechanism and getting involved with discussions.

Times are changing though thanks to Tinnitus Talk, it’s a great way to know what’s real and what’s not.

Neuromod have a huge challenge ahead of them, with the history of tinnitus treatments and no guaranteed methods of success, I truly believe the internet and Tinnitus Talk will make or break them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Aklara319

Aklara319 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Realistically, what will make or break Neuromod is insurance company/public health care approval! The big money’s with the VA—they’re even following a bunch of Veterans’ providers on Twitter.

This site’s helpful for individual end users though!

• Like Like x 3
    7. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Veterans already get the Levo system for free.

https://otoharmonics.com/veterans

You'd think it's easy for Neuromod to get it get covered by VA, Levo is SCAM after all.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Yup, real money is when insurance covers a procedure or device. They will need more independent studies for that to occur but you can bet that's what any new entry into the system is hoping for!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      ......so is Christmas......x

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If I’ve got it right, members have been discussing a version of MuteButton since 2011
      - 8 years if my math is correct.
      It is only once these gadgets have been exposed to the skeptical ears of a suffering public that we will know if they work or not.

Let’s face it - we have to assume that ‘human beans’ have been hoping for an improvement in their tinnitus for a few million years now, give or take a month or two.
      Them dinosaurs did have a right ‘bark’ on ‘em, by all accounts.
      After such a long wait we have every right to be a tad skeptical.

As Marc Antony famously said, albeit via William Shakespeare (Julius Caesar):
      “Romans and countrymen - lend me your ears,
      You’ll get ‘em back - so dry those tears” ...etc...

Well - we want them back, but the trick is
      - in good working order.

I can’t write any more just yet - I’ll give me’self brain ache.....x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      This morning I typed in "Neuromod" and Neuromod Lenire" appeared with a new website that said "Lenire will be available soon in select clinics in Europe - Register for more information." (You are supposed to enter your personal information).

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I like your mental strength, but sadly I don't possess the same resolve.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Do you have a link? Would love to check out that website.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      • Like Like x 4
    15. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To @Autumnly:
      I just typed "Neuromod Lenire" on MSN and "Lenire" will be the first item to appear. I also filled out a personal information form so that they could notify me by E-Mail when it might be available around here.

16. lenire-announced.png

This thread has now been locked. Neuromod has announced a name for its device: Lenire. We are expecting a launch soon – although we are as much in the dark as you about when exactly this will be.

We created a new thread where you may continue the discussion.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

The MuteButton thread has been around since 2011, making it one of our oldest ongoing threads. It feels sad to put it to rest, but after all the waiting and speculation, it’s time for a new chapter!

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1