MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other two people that Clare B ran into were also older and much more hard of hearing. I'm seeing a trend here. I have a feeling that your hearing ability plays a big part.

People with hyperacusis (like myself) have almost super sonic hearing (exaggerating of course lol), I can hear things that most people cannot now, so it makes sense that the hyperacusis group had huge success. People who are older and naturally are much more hard of hearing are less likely to be affected. Again, this is just my speculation, but it makes sense.
Fuck I hope so. Apologies to the those old timers with shredded ears but at least you don't have to rock another 50 or 60 years of this like some of us.

The exclusion criteria was no more than 40 dB loss up to 2 kHz (or might have been 1) and no more than 80 db loss between 2-8 kHz.

So they included people with quite a bit of loss in there...

Also, if this happens to be the case, where the more hard of hearing you are, the worse the efficacy is, who knows, integrating it with a hearing aid may be a solution.

It makes sense though, how can you stimulate all the frequencies if you have lots of loss in those particular frequencies.
Gosh hope this is not the case. I have a 50 dB dip at 1000 Hz. That's the lowest dip I have. That makes me really nervous this won't work for me.
The hearing loss is only in one ear and the other is perfect so wonder if it would work?

Last edited:
Gosh hope this is not the case. I have a 50 dB dip at 1000 Hz. That's the lowest dip I have. That makes me really nervous this won't work for me.
I just checked it and you had to have a maximum loss of 40 dB (on 1000 Hz) so you would miss the inclusion criteria by 10 dB.

That's not to say it won't work for you, everything here is speculation apart from the facts that we already know.

Regardless, it would make sense that if this new treatment kicks off then I would not be surprised to see it integrated into hearing aids so harder of hearing patients can benefit. But we don't know if this is the case, there may have been people on the trial with normal audiogram and non-responders and some with hearing loss who were super responders. We just don't know yet. So don't worry.

Thanks for the k-bomb, Paulmanlike. You know so much. What do you do for a living?

Fuck I hope so. Apologies to the those old timers with shredded ears but at least you don't have to rock another 50 or 60 years of this like some of us.
LOL! The cost is probably going to be prohibitive to anyone currently collecting a pension, anyway.

Most people with tinnitus have hearing loss, so I doubt it will make a difference to the device unless it's very significant hearing loss.

I imagine it would have been really hard to find people with tinnitus AND perfect hearing for the trial.

I got a reply next day from Caroline Hamilton who is a Clinical Manager/Audiologist. Launch should be around June this year in Ireland and the UK. They have apparently not published the results of the 2012 trials on their website because they hope to publish a paper about them. When this may come out is unclear. Results from the trials were apparently "very positive overall" and improvements began to be seen after 4 weeks.

Concerning whether frequency matching is necessary to the success of the treatment, Caroline was slightly evasive (and perhaps a touch patronising):

"The device will be available through leading audiologists who will carry out a range of tests and matching. I understand the difficultly some patients have in matching their tinnitus, particularly if they have tinnitus in both ears or a few different sounds. Please dont let that concern you."

I replied politely attempting to press her for a clearer answer (since the matter does concern me - and probably other people who have struggled to match their frequency reliably). But I have heard nothing back after a couple of days, so I guess she does not wish to clarify that point at this stage.
I found this post from 2013. It's a bit of a bummer that they didn't make it clear if people who have tinnitus in both ears or different sounds can be treated. He also mentions matching the treatment to a patient's tinnitus.

Didn't they recently say it's calibrated to your hearing profile?

I have a high frequency tinnitus and an eeeee tone in my right ear. This doesn't look promising (for me)... If it has to be calibrated to match your tinnitus, this is basically knocking out a lot of high frequency sufferers.

And what about people with multiple tones? That's not a problem either? I get confused when I find these posts from back then...
Despite the number of tinnitus tones you have, it's still called tinnitus. Tinnitus tone or tones don't affect the Neuromod treatment. It's adjusted to your hearing profile, not tinnitus profile. The reason the old posts can confuse you is because they have adjusted the treatment and stimulation parameters during these years. Old comments and information doesn't apply to this newly refreshed device that will be released sometime in the near future. Is this clear now for you?

Despite the number of tinnitus tones you have, it's still called tinnitus. Tinnitus tone or tones don't affect the Neuromod treatment. It's adjusted to your hearing profile, not tinnitus profile. The reason the old posts can confuse you is because they have adjusted the treatment and stimulation parameters during these years. Old comments and information doesn't apply to this newly refreshed device that will be released sometime in the near future. Is this clear now for you?
Yes, thank you.

Sorry to jump in and ask whilst being a lazy git and not reading back through the posts too far but are we any closer to even an idea of a release date yet? Or what the latest position is?

Hi, I am wondering, does anyone know the reason why the device is not released yet please?
Doesn't really matter (maybe they're waiting to finish their presentations, peer reviews etc), we just have to wait. Should be definitely out this year though!

Easy tiger...

In 10 to 15 years' time, it might be the case that most people who have tinnitus now, don't have it anymore, and this whole experience will feel like a horrible dream.

In 10 years' time though - not this year or whenever the Neuromod treatment is coming out. I'm trying not to look to it as something that will help me now, but more a step in the right direction towards something that will help me in the future.

I'm hoping it'll be like a cold or a rash one day.

Neuromod is a great step in the right direction, but I would assume some sort of injection will be the long term fix.

I think the first people who are going to buy Neuromod in Ireland can make a little business out of this.

They can treat themselves (hopefully) and then sell it in different countries, where people can't buy Neuromod yet.

I think the first people who are going to buy Neuromod in Ireland can make a little business out of this.

They can treat themselves (hopefully) and then sell it in different countries, where people can't buy Neuromod yet.
Getting medical devices through customs is not exactly easy. You would have to lie about the device.

You mean sell on the device? I don't think so, it needs to be fitted by an audiologist, I doubt people will have the equipment to do it themselves. Plus if/when I get a Neuromod, I'm keeping that for life in case I suffer another acoustic trauma.

Can't wait when 2020 comes and everyone's ears are healthy and safe and we can party like rockstars. Bye bye hearing aids, the 90's called. You're no longer needed.

You mean sell on the device? I don't think so, it needs to be fitted by an audiologist, I doubt people will have the equipment to do it themselves. Plus if/when I get a Neuromod, I'm keeping that for life in case I suffer another acoustic trauma.
It really needs to be fitted by an audiologist? Well, I dont think that audiologists in my country know anything about this device.

In 10 to 15 years' time, it might be the case that most people who have tinnitus now, don't have it anymore, and this whole experience will feel like a horrible dream.

In 10 years' time though - not this year or whenever the Neuromod treatment is coming out. I'm trying not to look to it as something that will help me now, but more a step in the right direction towards something that will help me in the future.
Once the tech is out there and other companies see there is money to be made the progress will be exponential. Never underestimate the explosive power of capitalism.

It really needs to be fitted by an audiologist? Well, I dont think that audiologists in my country know anything about this device.
That's what Ross O'Neill said. I'd imagine it's like setting a hearing aid, nothing too fancy, but not something you can do without the necessary equipment. My understanding is that they will partner with audiologists in the countries they sell it when it's released.

That's what Ross O'Neill said. I'd imagine it's like setting a hearing aid, nothing too fancy, but not something you can do without the necessary equipment. My understanding is that they will partner with audiologists in the countries they sell it when it's released.
Okay. Thanks for the answer.

I guess we will be using the setting that has showed the most promise so far.
I've been thinking about this. If improvements can be made to the device by updating the firmware/software, they should be able to push out improvements to the treatment after it's in the hands of the user, à la Tesla, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now