MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious. We don't do much though. Last year we got funding of £15 and 72 pence. We were able to buy a couple of white coats for a couple of the lab guys that work here. The rest went on a jar of coffee.

Joking aside @Jack Straw thanks for your work on the podcasts. Accent is amazing. Would love to be a part of one in the future. I have kept up with tinnitus research so I feel I owe it to the community to do something.
Haha you got me!!!!
Check your PM!

It is rather meh and I am a bit disappointed. Maybe Neuromod should have reached out to @Clare B for a testimonial. We still know this does work or at least help with Clare and kelpie. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Neuromod is really blowing this one... They had all the hype after their Q&A and now they have yet to release the device and now this. Their PR really needs some work.
You'd think they'd put the best cases on video yet Clare's outcome was apparently better than any of the ones Neuromod chose to publicise.

Ronnie Duignan
  • he is more relaxed about his tinnitus but apparently his tinnitus didn't change at all
Edward Molloy
  • doesn't hear it as much in certain situations
Patrick Kiely
  • I think his tinnitus didn't change at all but he said he can cope better mentally...
Eugene Molumby
  • tinnitus started only four or five months ago (?)
  • tinnitus is much improved (whatever that means, doesn't mention loudness, could be natural improvement, video cuts off right after that)
Peter McGurell
  • can't hear it as much anymore when going for a walk
  • doesn't hear it as much

I have to say, it's really weird that they would put these videos out to begin with. Like, who the hell is their media strategist? A monkey on NyQuil? And the producer, director and DOP and editor - what are they all thinking while producing this and putting it online? It's like a robot did all the work without any purpose or direction.

An improvement can be anything from a change in pitch or sound character, a lowering of phonophobia, a lowering of hyperacusis, an actual lowering of tone volume, habituation that leads to a perceived lowering of volume or perceived change in tone, which in turn can lead to better understanding of speech in noise environments, and so on. There is an endless combination of factors that I think even a scientific study can only begin to try and understand.
Yes, that's what I was getting at, thank you :)

Maybe they are trying to show the different ways people can experience an improvement, instead of just rounding up everyone who was 'cured'.

Yes, that's what I was getting at, thank you :)

Maybe they are trying to show the different ways people can experience an improvement, instead of just rounding up everyone who was 'cured'.
Yep, just a shame that these people have no clue how to describe their improvement properly. :D

Maybe if you're too far gone into your time with tinnitus, they can't stop your brain from naturally producing the sound, because it has already become your normal for so many years that it's no longer a disturbance and instead something your brain is unable to let go/refusing to.
I am not so sure it is about time per say. I believe @kelpiemsp had his tinnitus for quite some time and the University of Minnesota device helped him immensely. It seems to be age is more of the prevalence, but we won't know until we see some results.

I am not so sure it is about time per say. I believe @kelpiemsp had his tinnitus for quite some time and the University of Minnesota device helped him immensely. It seems to be age is more of the prevalence, but we won't know until we see some results.
Was @kelpiemsp a person who habituated and got used to the sound though? This is what I'm speaking about when I say this.

The stuff that's coming out of Neuromod seems pretty random and incidental to me. It's like they haven't begun the proper campaign yet, but they did start producing stuff and some of it leaked out / was "soft-launched". I'm sure (or at least I hope) that when they get down to it, there will be a proper, well-orchestrated campaign and all the stuff we've seen so far will snap into place.

They're having a bit more luck over on the Frequency Theraputics thread by the looks of things.

Either way, in the next five years I think we're going to at least have some options for treatment instead of the old 'live with it' line.

No, he was in the University of Minnesota study. I would have to look at the thread but he stated his tinnitus went from an 8 to a 2.
This is what I mean, if you have habituated to like a big time degree, maybe it makes it harder to let go of that sound, because now in your brain there's no longer a sound or disturbance to let go.

Here we were thinking this was the real deal.

People with mild tinnitus thinking they were gonna be cured completely.

People with severe tinnitus thinking they were gonna get massive drops in volume.

People stating only 20% won't respond and 80% will.

I did say this, when results are given by makers of the developers of a device they'll make it sound like the best thing yet.

If I don't laugh I'll cry.

The warning signs are all in the videos - it's not as good as some of us had hoped.
My God, you guys all jump ship so quick on this. Yes, some of these testimonies are not so great, but we still don't know the numbers.

Remember these are the people that came forward. Clare B didn't come forward and hers went away completely.

3/4 showed CLINICAL improvement. These video testimonials are not clinical improvement, maybe they are the only ones who came back for an interview. Maybe more will come.

We still know this does work or at least help with Clare and kelpie. I guess we will have to wait and see.
From what I understand @kelpiemsp was on a trial in Minnesota. He has never used a Neuromod device. The only link is Hubert Lim who worked on both, although what he's been able to bring to the latter other than several laughs on this thread and a nice little video on the website is unknown.

@TimmyC,

Totally, like go watch the more positive ones and come back and tell me how you can't wait to get Neuromod. Just wait for the damn study results. Plus you're not going to know if it works for you or not. I'm also cautiously optimistic about it.

My God, you guys all jump ship so quick on this. Yes, some of these testimonies are not so great, but we still don't know the numbers.

Remember these are the people that came forward. Clare B didn't come forward and hers went away completely.

3/4 showed CLINICAL improvement. These video testimonials are not clinical improvement, maybe they are the only ones who came back for an interview. Maybe more will come.
Agreed man. I think some people on here are just waiting for any sliver of negativity to jump up and say "SEE I TOLD YOU SO!". I don't have time for that personally.

What gets me is the fact that this is on YouTube but not on their testimonial site. This suggests they wanted to bury these, but they also uploaded it on YouTube. So why just not upload? What is the Neuromod marketing team smoking?

@TimmyC

Something that is apparent and which I've been guilty of myself when I was new to tinnitus, especially for newer sufferers is that people tend not to give too much attention to the negatives, only focus on the positives (such as Clare B). I have personally come across more social media comments stating it did nothing but nobody wants to hear about that, and I don't blame them.

Believe me, I remember a doctor telling me straight years ago, there is nothing that will make the noise go away at this time. Of course, I still went and bought a TinniTool.

I don't want to appear negative, because that's not what keeps me going. It's the positivity and talking about new treatments. But what I believe we should be doing, is gathering evidence/dissecting all the info from the trials, the testimonials and everything else that comes to us whilst not ignoring the things we don't want to hear.

We're all in this together. I have lost count of the posts where people have spends thousands on treatments. People deserve better.

If Neuromod is the 'real deal' then it will emerge soon enough, but we owe it to ourselves to question everything especially when it comes to tinnitus treatments, given its past.

Agreed man. I think some people on here are just waiting for any sliver of negativity to jump up and say "SEE I TOLD YOU SO!". I don't have time for that personally.
It's crazy. I understand this website is for sufferers, but I mean we know that bimodal stimulation is promising. Susan Shore proved this. We can't all lose faith because some of the videos aren't that promising.

We can't expect them to freak out and say their tinnitus is gone, I'm sure those whose tinnitus went away just never responded again to interview requests.

We will hear from Richard S. Tyler on the Tinnitus Talk podcast next month. I suggest before we pan Neuromod we at least give that a listen.

What gets me is the fact that this is on YouTube but not on their testimonial site. This suggests they wanted to bury these, but they also uploaded it on YouTube. So why just not upload? What is the Neuromod marketing team smoking?
How does it suggest they wanted to bury these? They are a small company that almost never updates their website. Look at the date. All they did was upload all the videos at the same time. All they did was dump the videos they had right now onto YouTube.

This isn't a conspiracy. They aren't burying anything, they are just not very good at marketing this info yet.

Just from having read your comments, this sounds so dishearteningly similar to the slippery, obfuscational, vague, noncommittal language that accompanied Desyncra when I first encountered them (but was nonetheless persuaded by this rhetoric into spending $5,269.00 on).

This frankly starts to approach a certain level of outright dishonesty. I was led to recall how self-evidently effective other treatments and/or drugs have been. No one, for example, said that the Salk Vaccine "kinda, sorta made my resistance to polio 2% less." I take Maxalt for migraines, and it has always completely eliminated the migraine pain. My neurologist never engaged in such Orwellian doublethink by saying that "it won't reduce the pain level, but you may experience less intensity."

However, let's not make too final a judgement now. We must conclude that ACRN sound alone was not effective; perhaps the addition of electrical stimulation may be beneficial. If my audiologist recommends this, I frankly have no alternative but to consider this (since I still cannot conceive of this condition being for the rest of my life, the equivalent of a life sentence with no possibility of parole).

@Paulmanlike

I hear you man, but you're right, we need to weigh it on the EVIDENCE, and right now we have none. Some testimonies. Some, as in 13 from over 500 people who enrolled in the study.

All I'm saying is once people saw some videos, everyone is saying "IT DOESN'T WORK, I KNEW IT". That's not the case yet because we don't know anything.

Again, if this treatment made people like Hubert Lim and Richard S Tylor want to stand by it, then it gives it more weight than other treatments in the past have, and I will wait to see what they say before I dog this device.

If it doesn't work, then I'm in the same place, only difference is I'll at least have evidence to know it.

Until then we can all talk about these videos, but maybe not freak out about it and pan it out the gate.

How does it suggest they wanted to bury these? They are a small company that almost never updates their website. Look at the date. All they did was upload all the videos at the same time. All they did was dump the videos they had right now onto YouTube.

This isn't a conspiracy. They aren't burying anything, they are just not very good at marketing this info yet.
Yeah that's all I'm saying. Well I'm sure they wouldn't want people to focus on the habituation stories but the reality is most of this freak out is because Neuromod can't market for shit.

This isn't the Salk Vaccine or Maxalt. I swear, people on here get angry over promises that were never made. There's a reason they didn't just pick the 10 best outcomes and market those. This isn't a cure.

Yeah that's all I'm saying. Well I'm sure they wouldn't want people to focus on the habituation stories but the reality is most of this freak out is because Neuromod can't market for shit.
I'm confused what testimonials are you guys talking about? The ones they posted on their website?

The ones on their YouTube channel are the same as the ones on their website?

Here we were thinking this was the real deal.

People with mild tinnitus thinking they were gonna be cured completely.

People with severe tinnitus thinking they were gonna get massive drops in volume.

People stating only 20% won't respond and 80% will.

I did say this, when results are given by makers of the developers of a device they'll make it sound like the best thing yet.

If I don't laugh I'll cry.

The warning signs are all in the videos - it's not as good as some of us had hoped.
Why the change? Did I miss something?

For the kind of money these Therapeutic Dispensers are charging (which no American insurer covers), I will require better than a "2% improvement" or the vaguest noncommittal, quasi-assurances. If I shouldn't "get angry over promises that were never made", what precisely am I receiving for such a financial outlay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now