• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

NAC was one of the initial supplements I tried after hearing about it on here. Seems another example of where a dosage amount and brand name would help. As a sidenote, I stopped taking mine after the bottle developed a very strong, almost sulfur-like smell - really not long after I got it and maybe even from the start before I noticed. Has anyone else had this issue with it?

As a sidenote, I stopped taking mine after the bottle developed a very strong, almost sulfur-like smell - really not long after I got it and maybe even from the start before I noticed. Has anyone else had this issue with it?

NAC is known for having a foul smell.

NAC and B-complex are the only two things I make sure I never run out of. I'm convinced the vitamins have helped my baseline tinnitus, and the NAC helps me recover from spikes faster.

Try Zinc Picolante in the evening and see what happens. There is a thread on here where a guy had noise damage and taking Zinc silenced his T after a few days. I was getting good results with Nac and B-vitamins but it always came back again in the evening. Soon as I took Zinc the next morning lying in bed it was just a low sizzle that I could easily tune out. Just make sure to avoid calcium, magnesium and phytic acid rich food 2 hours before and after taking Zinc so your body can properly absorb it. Also make sure to drink a lot of water, it will make you thirsty.

Another one to include is Magnesium. There's a lot of evidence pointing towards Magnesium as helping with noise induced T.

Keep in mind Magnesium could temporarily spike your T. Funny that, it can both relief and spike T.

Try Zinc Picolante in the evening and see what happens. There is a thread on here where a guy had noise damage and taking Zinc silenced his T after a few days. I was getting good results with Nac and B-vitamins but it always came back again in the evening. Soon as I took Zinc the next morning lying in bed it was just a low sizzle that I could easily tune out. Just make sure to avoid calcium, magnesium and phytic acid rich food 2 hours before and after taking Zinc so your body can properly absorb it. Also make sure to drink a lot of water, it will make you thirsty.
I was taking a supplement for a while called Neurozan. It contains a load of things, including ginkgo biloba, zinc AND magnesium, amongst other things. Interesting that you say the magnesium can interact with the zinc.

I thought I was getting some positive results from this pill, but was never wholly convinced. There were even times when I could not hear any tinnitus for a few seconds in a quiet room. Your advice on when and how to take the zinc could help explain those patchy results.

https://www.fishpond.co.nz/Health/Neurozan-Vitabiotics-Capsules-30-Capsules/0890783208997

Hi, I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for well over 7 years (acoustic trauma). Had occasionally taken NAC to help with drinking alcohol. Took some a few days in a row and suddenly noticed a mild lowering of tinnitus. Kept taking it... Now I have not worn my earplugs for 2 days! Not wearing earplugs because of hyperacusis is unthinkable for me. The beeps in the car have not annoyed my ears so much the last 2 days. Normally, if I start the car without earplugs, I have to go back inside and get them, because the beeps the car makes hurt my ears.

NAC has definitely helped both my hyperacusis and tinnitus, and I will keep taking it every day and see how things pan out. This is completely out of the blue. I had given up trying to find a solution.

Hi, I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for well over 7 years (acoustic trauma). Had occasionally taken NAC to help with drinking alcohol. Took some a few days in a row and suddenly noticed a mild lowering of tinnitus. Kept taking it... Now I have not worn my earplugs for 2 days! Not wearing earplugs because of hyperacusis is unthinkable for me. The beeps in the car have not annoyed my ears so much the last 2 days. Normally, if I start the car without earplugs, I have to go back inside and get them, because the beeps the car makes hurt my ears.

NAC has definitely helped both my hyperacusis and tinnitus, and I will keep taking it every day and see how things pan out. This is completely out of the blue. I had given up trying to find a solution.
Nice to hear. What dosage are you on? I will also now start trying it out with 600 mg daily. There are several placebo controlled studies which show that after noise trauma people on NAC recovered faster. So there seems even some science backing behind it. If it improves my hyperacusis, this would be super.
Can you take NAC safely? Tinnitus is listed as a side effect in the package insert.
I have read this, too. But there seem not this many reports about it. So I would guess NAC is relatively save.

Interesting. What brand did you use?

Just for the record. I take now NAC since two weeks but haven't noticed any change in tinnitus and hyperacusis. But will continue taking it since I haven't also noticed any side effects.

NAC has a few side issues. Just one tablet will temporarily increase my floaters as it messes with the white area of my eyes.

Listed as a side effect at bottom of article.

http://optometrist.com.au/n-acetylcysteine-relieves-keratoconus/
Can it actually cause floaters, too?

Reading the article it says, "Eye irritation on the white part of your eye". What exactly does that mean? Could it be many things?

The reason I have never taken NAC is because I remember you saying that you had eye problems from/when taking NAC.

The Hough Pill is supposed to be a combination of two things, one of which is NAC. Does this mean that a possible side effect of the pill could be eye problems, especially if the amount of NAC in the pill is higher than that of normal supplements?

@all to gain
NAC is noted in NCBI studies to be helpful for many eye diseases and other health concerns.

For some that have blood pressure changes, large amounts of NAC use may need to be monitored. Both hypotension and hypertension can be increased from certain vitamin overload. NAC overload more so with hypotension. Vitamin A overload more so with hypertension. Hypertension can cause eye problems including retina detachment.

So for me, my eye problems associate to hypertension - according to my radiological scans of abdominal aortic vessel, heart, kidney, neck and brain. Special eye testing as well.

Age over 60-65 makes a difference where these problems
can develop with hypertension especially causing vascular disease of the abdominal aortic that can then affect the carotids. This caused me pulsatile tinnitus. It started within seconds of a hypertension crisis - a quick, sudden and brief rise in blood pressure. My abdominal aortic tore within seconds and kidney damage happened immediately. Within a second I saw blood in the whites of my eyes and then spiders, floaters and red lightening set in. I developed hypertension because of severe mouth injury damage with severe pain.

@all to gain
NAC is noted in NCBI studies to be helpful for many eye diseases and other health concerns.

For some that have blood pressure changes, large amounts of NAC use may need to be monitored. Both hypotension and hypertension can be increased from certain vitamin overload. NAC overload more so with hypotension. Vitamin A overload more so with hypertension. Hypertension can cause eye problems including retina detachment.

So for me, my eye problems associate to hypertension - according to my radiological scans of abdominal aortic vessel, heart, kidney, neck and brain. Special eye testing as well.

Age over 60-65 makes a difference where these problems
can develop with hypertension especially causing vascular disease of the abdominal aortic that can then affect the carotids. This caused me pulsatile tinnitus. It started within seconds of a hypertension crisis - a quick, sudden and brief rise in blood pressure. My abdominal aortic tore within seconds and kidney damage happened immediately. Within a second I saw blood in the whites of my eyes and then spiders, floaters and red lightening set in. I developed hypertension because of severe mouth injury damage with severe pain.
That sounds truly frightening. It makes me very wary of even taking vitamin supplements now, not that I have been.

I recently started hearing my heartbeat in one ear, but it only happens when I am lying down with my head pressed quite firmly into the pillow. As soon as I move even slightly it disappears. Is this normal for some people or is this pulsatile tinnitus? Should I be worried? I already know, from having had a ultrasound of my neck, that I have slightly high cholesterol and that my veins have shrunk (but I don't have any plaque build up apparently). I'm supposed to take statins for 3 months, but I'm very wary of medications as I seem to be susceptible to side effects. Instead I have started doing cardio exercise every day and am losing weight, ie I needed to lose 50lbs, and have lost 11.5 so far. What do you think I should do?

@all to gain
What do you think I should do?
I would do what your doing.
cardio exercise every day losing weight

Good foods including fish - some salmon if possible.

I recently started hearing my heartbeat in one ear, but it only happens when I am lying down with my head pressed quite firmly into the pillow.
Just a few very small veins, not the carotid artery, just friends near the carotid artery. Nothing at all to worry about. Should stop happening with some more weight loss.

Most satins are not a problem at all with tinnitus. Irbesartan is one that's very tinnitus friendly. If you do see a tinnitus spike with a heart med - stop using that brand within seven days. Within 2 or 3 weeks the spike should be gone.

@all to gain

I would do what your doing.

Good foods including fish - some salmon if possible.

Just a few very small veins, not the carotid artery, just friends near the carotid artery. Nothing at all to worry about. Should stop happening with some more weight loss.

Most satins are not a problem at all with tinnitus. Irbesartan is one that's very tinnitus friendly. If you do see a tinnitus spike with a heart med - stop using that brand within seven days. Within 2 or 3 weeks the spike should be gone.
Thanks for you answer. The statin I was prescribred is Rosuvastatin. I just can't bring myself to take it though, but maybe I should. She only said for 3 months anyway, at least to begin with.

I'm not eating much fish, but I'm taking some fish oil every day. Not sure if it helps. I was eating walnuts, but all things with salicylates seem to spike me, plus they don't really have the right type of omega 3 as I understand it.

I've been taking 2x600mg/day of NAC for over 8 months... no changes.
Have you tried other medication? Many people report this is a matter of trial and error and some find the right medication after trying Paroxetine, Serc, Gabapentin...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now