NeuroMed Tinnitus Program — Founded by Dr. Hamid Djalilian

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ErikaS, Sep 2, 2024.

1. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014, worsened 5/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Long-term Noise ; Acoustic Trauma
      I believe they have completed a larger clinical trial, with the results expected to be published soon. Dr. Djalilian mentioned this on one of his slides during the Tinnitus Quest webinar a couple of weeks ago.

I spoke with Dr. Djalilian about this specific result, and in July, he informed me that he expected the results to be officially published within the next six months.

This is the clinical trial.

Here is a more up-to-date article that digs more into the entire basis of the NeuroMed program.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I haven't been on here in a while. I still go annually to see a neuro-otolaryngologist who is highly regarded in his field. My next appointment is next month. I imagine that if I wanted to try Nortriptyline, he would prescribe it. However, I would never take such a medication. If you take that, it permanently puts a label in your medical records as someone suffering from depression.

I've had severe tinnitus for many years, but I am not depressed and wouldn't want that label in my medical records. Experimenting with a medication for tinnitus that is primarily prescribed for depression can change how any medical professional views you from then on.

The best therapy for my tinnitus is background noise. I feel my best when I'm outside in nature. I don't want complete silence, but I also avoid damaging loud noise.

3. cjbhab
      Confused

cjbhab Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      I really don't care how they view me. My concern is whether Nortriptyline will make my tinnitus worse. Also, can't you simply explain the purpose of taking the drug?

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      The neuro-otolaryngologist is like the queen in chess — the best piece, outranking both the ENT and the audiologist. Has this impressive doctor made any recommendations for the future, perhaps in a few years, that don't involve drugs? In other words, does your doctor see anything promising on the horizon?

5. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      The doctor still has no recommendations and says there is no cure or effective therapy yet. I’ve been seeing him for 16 years and trust him. Some people ask why I continue to go. The hearing exam is very advanced—each year, I receive a detailed graph showing all the ranges and any changes. Since my insurance covers it, I’ll keep going.

I apologize if I sounded a bit too firm on the subject of depression medication. Depression seems to be one of Big Pharma’s "golden goose" products. These medications are overprescribed, and for some, they’ve become an addiction problem.

6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      No need to apologize. The U.S. pushes antidepressants like candy—it's crazy.

I would recommend continuing to see this doctor; you're lucky to have one. I don't have that option. I use Tinnitus Talk to gather information.

Perhaps next time you meet with him, you could ask about implants as a possible fix for tinnitus, or if he sees any promising mechanical or drug-based treatments.

Thanks for getting back to me, @Tex.

Stay well!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      Thank you, @marqualler, for sharing the most recent study. I recall Dr. Hamid Djalilian mentioning during the Q&A that they had completed this study, submitted the results for peer review, and were waiting for feedback. I plan to hold off on starting any new medication until this larger, more current study is published.

• Like Like x 1
    8. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014, worsened 5/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Long-term Noise ; Acoustic Trauma
      That's exactly how I feel about starting any new medication. I'm not very confident about trying something until it's been published. Even then, I’d prefer to present the published results to a local ENT, who can review the information and decide if it would be appropriate for my situation.

The good news is that the medications being considered are already on the market, so there's no need to wait for FDA approval.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Your story regarding NeuroMed provided me with very valuable insights. Thank you for spending the time writing it! Please keep us updated on your progress.

I might end up trying this, but the price is a little steep for me at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Do we know which anticonvulsant medications are recommended, if necessary, as adjunctive therapy?

I know Gabapentin and Lamotrigine are on the list.

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I’m pretty sure @ErikaS posted an algorithm that included adding Topamax if the patient is already on an antidepressant, such as Nortriptyline.

• Like Like x 1