New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

If I have understood correctly, the actual therapy lasts a few weeks, or a month or two. Correct me if I have got this wrong. But this would imply that there will be a lively second-hand market for the device.
I was under the impression it was this long to start seeing results and if you stopped the treatment, the tinnitus would just come back?

was under the impression it was this long to start seeing results and if you stopped the treatment, the tinnitus would just come back?
The participants started seeing results after a few weeks. They stopped the treatment after 6 weeks but further improvements continued without use of the device for another 6 weeks. This was maintained at week 30. This is what was tested.

I do wonder how people who live outside the US, but will visit the US for this device, will complete the treatment if it lasts at least 6 weeks. I'm hoping they'll just release it worldwide at the same time!

Apologies, thanks for the quick correction! I always assumed the treatment would last as long as the trial :)
Yeah no worries! I could see why you would assume that. Mine is an assumption as well. But I think once the device is yours, it's yours to use as long as you want. Also it's been speculated that the longer the device is used, the more effective it will be, and I agree with those speculations.

At the Palm Springs Hearing Seminar and in interviews, Dr. Shore mentioned that the device might improve hyperacusis.

What do you think? Is this possible for those who have pain hyperacusis with tonic tensor tympani syndrome?

The hyperacusis could be coming from somewhere in the brain other than the dorsal cochlear nucleus.

At the Palm Springs Hearing Seminar and in interviews, Dr. Shore mentioned that the device might improve hyperacusis.

What do you think? Is this possible for those who have pain hyperacusis with tonic tensor tympani syndrome?

The hyperacusis could be coming from somewhere in the brain other than the dorsal cochlear nucleus.
We won't know till the results are out.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis are co-morbidities. Probably two sides of the same coin. My tinnitus and hyperacusis have always been in lockstep -- they always changed in tandem. It seems logical to me that if Dr. Shore's treatment improves my tinnitus, my hyperacusis will naturally improve as well. If you followed @kelpiemsp's progress (granted, he was part of Dr. Lim's trial rather than Dr. Shore's), he said that his hyperacusis got better as his tinnitus improved.

I remember him saying he was in a closed room with a large barking dog and it didn't bother him!

Judging from the papers I've read, DCN hyperactivity and hyperacusis/noxacusis are closely related.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis are co-morbidities. Probably two sides of the same coin. My tinnitus and hyperacusis have always been in lockstep -- they always changed in tandem. It seems logical to me that if Dr. Shore's treatment improves my tinnitus, my hyperacusis will naturally improve as well. If you followed @kelpiemsp's progress (granted, he was part of Dr. Lim's trial rather than Dr. Shore's), he said that his hyperacusis got better as his tinnitus improved.

I remember him saying he was in a closed room with a large barking dog and it didn't bother him!
It would be amazing if Dr. Shore's device could help fix hyperacusis. I imagine if it works, it would be more effective for treating loudness hyperacusis given that it seems to be caused by similar mechanisms as tinnitus, but I really hope pain hyperacusis can be helped by it as well.

I wonder if, in any of the studies done by Dr. Shore, she also included people that have low frequency tinnitus (humming) instead of the more common high frequency hissing or eeee (which I also have).

Of the two, my low frequency humming is the more annoying one, but I know low frequency tinnitus is a niche within a niche, so often overlooked.

That said: after 3 years of OVER (!) analysing my tinnitus, I am 90% certain that my low frequency humming is a brother/sister of my high frequency hearing loss dip.

One of many examples: I once made my humming worse by driving to Croatia for 3 days with the window open. When I got to Croatia, I opened my car door and crickets were very loud because it was a hot day. My humming/buzzing was reacting insanely loud to the crickets. My buzzing becomes worse when my (old) MacBook's fan was spinning hard (high frequency noise). When I listen to a dial-tone on my phone, my ear responds with buzzing.

So - in short - the buzzing is reacting to high frequency noise input.

So - in short - the buzzing is reacting to high frequency noise input.
I get this. Middle ear muscles tensing up to sound maybe? No idea if Dr. Shore's device will help if it's a middle ear issue. Probably not! Something like a muscle relaxant (Cyclobenzaprine) might.

We won't know till the results are out.
It would be amazing if Dr. Shore's device could help fix hyperacusis. I imagine if it works, it would be more effective for treating loudness hyperacusis given that it seems to be caused by similar mechanisms as tinnitus, but I really hope pain hyperacusis can be helped by it as well.
I hope that the brain calms down if we can lower the tinnitus sounds with the device. It almost feels like some form of hyperacusis is the brain trying to make us avoid loud sounds. Why would it ramp up the sounds and make them uncomfortable if not for making us avoid them? Or the fullness in our ears. It must be the tensor tympani or stapedius trying to protect us from sounds. Unfortunately, even if the sounds aren't loud.

I would rather hear less to be honest. It's just terrible to feel uncomfortable most of the time.

I hope that the brain calms down if we can lower the tinnitus sounds with the device. It almost feels like some form of hyperacusis is the brain trying to make us avoid loud sounds. Why would it ramp up the sounds and make them uncomfortable if not for making us avoid them?
I have always asserted this as the most plausible theory for hyperacusis!

Not on Tinnitus Talk, however (so don't go looking for quotes and then telling me "no you didn't..." when you come up empty handed), but with anyone willing to discuss the topics of tinnitus and hyperacusis with me in person.

It's what annoys me so much about the "overprotection" myth some people state as undisputed fact.

That somehow the withdrawal from sound after injury by sound, will cause even more injury...

Like, "sh*t you're burning your hand on that campfire boy!", "no! no! the last thing you want to do is remove it from the fire!"

Some people who develop severe hyperacusis, for whatever reason, assume that the alternative action they didn't take, would have resulted in a better outcome.

"If I just hadn't 'overprotected' things would be so much better now". Well here's the thing: they could also be much worse.

No, we have no idea what causes hyperacusis yet. Nothing but theory and conjecture. So one guess is as good as another (and that includes the cause being alien abductions followed by alien implants that gave us all super-sonic hearing).

The same goes for tinnitus (although we seem to be making better progress with that). So we cannot yet say, this (x action) is what the person should have done after their acoustic trauma to mitigate a worse outcome.

That said, of everything I've heard since 2009; my own internal dialogue telling me "you have damaged hearing and tinnitus → further noise turns damaged hearing and tinnitus into even more damaged hearing tinnitus → hyperacusis makes one want to avoid that noise → most people with damaged hearing and tinnitus have hyperacusis → perhaps this is an adaptive function trying to prevent further complications" has made the most sense.

Why does a sprained ankle hurt to touch... why do the nerves continue to send pain signals to the brain after the damage has been done. This should be rhetorical, but to state the obvious: so that you protect the ankle to let it heal and to prevent further injury.

Hence why I tell people who present with recent hearing damage and tinnitus, to protect as much as they f*cking can, until things start to improve.
I would rather hear less to be honest. It's just terrible to feel uncomfortable most of the time.
Yeah, agreed. These super-sonic alien implants aren't all they're cracked up to be.

There is no frequency limit to this intervention, correct? I literally just need my 12 kHz and up reactive tone to take a hike or at least go to a quiet hiss, and I can live life normally again, even with my other 2 mid-range tones. Constant electricity on in the ears/head is a different level of tinnitus.

There is no frequency limit to this intervention, correct? I literally just need my 12 kHz and up reactive tone to take a hike or at least go to a quiet hiss, and I can live life normally again, even with my other 2 mid-range tones. Constant electricity on in the ears/head is a different level of tinnitus.
The only limit we know of so far, at least for participating in the trials, was profound high frequency hearing loss.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now