• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Despite the device taking longer than we'd all like to come to market, I think we'd rather it get there methodically and safely instead of being rushed without a second thought. Plus, it's essentially the closest treatment option we have to look forward to right now, minus a few other ventures. Lenire was significantly less successful than anticipated. The Auricle device has the science and minds behind it. I understand the frustration - believe me - but I doubt that they're taking their sweet time for no good reason.
There's a very good chance it's already been submitted and is under FDA review as we speak. It just makes too much sense when considering the timeline of events.

Which would give us an announcement anytime over the second half of 2024. Wouldn't that be nice?

I have no idea why anyone's concerned about who funds the device as it currently lies on a shelf gathering dust.

I wouldn't care if it was funded by The Wolf of Wall Street as long as it was in the market and helping people.

I have no idea why anyone's concerned about who funds the device as it currently lies on a shelf gathering dust.

I wouldn't care if it was funded by The Wolf of Wall Street as long as it was in the market and helping people.
Once it hits the market, do you want a team of scientists and engineers who designed the device to remain in control and continuously revise and improve it? Or would you like a 'distributor' that bought the rights to it that has no interest in how well it works, has no idea how it works, and wants to sell it for the maximum price?

I still cannot understand why people are supporting the slow-paced release and the strategy of Auricle trying to launch the device themselves.
Our support or lack thereof doesn't matter. We can't control their process and can only wait. And even after it's approved by the FDA and announced, Jon Pearson, CEO of Auricle, said commercialization of a product could be at a much later date. So he's setting expectations.
Oh, and let's not forget Auricle stated that the US will be their target market, not Europe, Australia, etc. It will probably take several years to be able to get this device outside of the US.
Yes, it just means you will need to wait longer, hopefully not several years in most places.
I take it you won't be interested in the device if it were to hit the market? One less in the queue. That's fine for others, I'm sure.
I'm sure people will quickly jump in the queue when they hear how well it works for others.

This made my day. Did you actually get a tattoo?

I am just worried about the tone matching. One day, I have high hissing; the next, I have crackling metal sounds.
They are probably in a similar frequency spectrum with different sounds, just like mine, which changes between a high-pitched ring and a high-frequency hiss. It doesn't have to match a specific single-tone frequency.

upload_2024-6-26_13-55-35.png

They are probably in a similar frequency spectrum with different sounds, just like mine, which changes between a high-pitched ring and a high-frequency hiss. It doesn't have to match a specific single-tone frequency.

View attachment 56980
From my understanding, it works similarly to residual inhibition. For residual inhibition to work, you don't have to match your tinnitus sound exactly. You can go to a bar and listen to music, and your tinnitus can disappear for a while.

This thread worries me a great deal. There must be a balance on this unsubstantiated 'hype.'
I think the reason some members think Auricle is going to go tits up is the very loose parallels they are drawing with Lenire.
Agreed. Dr. Shore's device won't be the last 'device' or 'contraption' to claim to reduce tinnitus. I believe it may even be detrimental.

I advise everyone on Tinnitus Talk not to be the first or second to use this. Let everyone else be your guinea pig.

This thread worries me a great deal. There must be a balance on this unsubstantiated 'hype.'

Agreed. Dr. Shore's device won't be the last 'device' or 'contraption' to claim to reduce tinnitus. I believe it may even be detrimental.

I advise everyone on Tinnitus Talk not to be the first or second to use this. Let everyone else be your guinea pig.
jupiterman.gif

However, over 100 guinea pigs have already been used, and Dr. Shore has confirmed that not one worsened due to the treatment itself. The single worsening was caused by attending a rock concert while enrolled in the clinical trial.

What is unsubstantiated hype? Two clinical trials have been published in respected medical journals from an institute with a track record of medical device breakthroughs, LASIK being just one example.

There's every reason to be hopeful for this device. What evidence is there to the contrary at this point? Please share if you believe this whole thing to be a damp squib.

I'm all for reasoned debate, but please back it up with some evidence.

Of course there does need to be a balance.

But there also has to be a balance to unsubstantiated claims like yours where it may be 'detrimental.' An established scientist with data to back up her claims? Or a pessimistic internet poster that takes every opportunity to put a dampener on this device?

With the information I have, I know who seems more trustworthy. I'm more than open to considering any data you have to back up your claims, as we all should be in the name of balance.

People are hyped because it's the only promising treatment that will be available in the (hopefully) near future.

Everyone else? LOL, you're on Jupiter for sure. Who else will there be but the highly motivated bunch that is us to test this thing? Get in line, try it out, and speak the truth if it works or not. I'm not sure what you're even cautioning for. I still have hyperacusis in one ear, which is potentially inner ear nerve damage that this device will not resolve. I will still give it a whirl as long as the sound stimulus is below my tolerance level.

Of course there does need to be a balance.

But there also has to be a balance to unsubstantiated claims like yours where it may be 'detrimental.' An established scientist with data to back up her claims? Or a pessimistic internet poster that takes every opportunity to put a dampener on this device?

With the information I have, I know who seems more trustworthy. I'm more than open to considering any data you have to back up your claims, as we all should be in the name of balance.
The bottom line here is that without the device being launched, we only have second-hand data.

Frustrations are rising here because the device is taking so long - it's simple.

There are people reading this who may have substantially good results from the device when it's available—the pity is the never-ending wait and the decreasing faith in Auricle's ability to launch the device, not in the device itself.

I agree with this, but not cynically. I will be watching Tinnitus Talk to see people's experience with the actual Auricle device; just as instructive as there aren't 100's of people flooding online forums saying Lenire helped them, I will gauge the responses here on whether the expense of this device is worth it for me.

I have to agree with @Dkellz.

People are suffering terribly, and here we are having this device that has been researched for over 20 years and is supposedly proven to work with the science to back it up, but then when it's announced that it works, it's just put on a shelf to collect dust with no news.

It is super slow for people in the US, and people outside the US are not even in the pipeline.

I mean, this is more than cruel and shows a serious lack of empathy for the suffering that is going on. If they believe in the device and they have the science, why on earth is it with people who appear to have no capacity to get this to the patients who need it worldwide?

Indeed, this is either mismanagement, incompetence, or they know it doesn't do anything. If you had a viable tinnitus treatment that worked, wouldn't you be pushing this through shouting from the rooftops to get it out and available worldwide to help people suffering and get mega-rich in the process? They haven't even got a website.

I can't get how any of this makes any sense.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now