Nimodipine

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Rhea, Jul 19, 2014.

1. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      Yes, 3 x 400 mg. I had the feeling it helped but then I got 2 days of extremely elevated tinnitus without known cause. Sometimes you might get overconfident with sound exposure if you feel better, but that certainly was not the case. I don't even go out, except to the GP (walking distance). The ENT today was the first short car trip since my stupid noise accident 2 weeks ago. I turned the car key at arrival to turn the car off and it still made a sort of humming noise for a while. This time that sound bothered me, which it had never done so before.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Back from the GP. He doesn't want to prescribe Verapamil either. And now I found out he has mild tinnitus. Those are the worst. He cannot prescribe me these medications based on experimental studies. Shouldn't you have been consistent and refused your patients the COVID-19 vaccine, then, I asked? After all, it was still in the research Phase III, and no informed consent. He laughed and said, I have to agree with you on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Nimodipine is used pretty exclusively for hemorrhagic strokes. It's not something used for chronic blood pressure.

4. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Did you stop taking the Amlodipine? Did your tinnitus go back to baseline? Or was the spike permanent?

5. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have had some bad nights for some time now, but last night, I was able to sleep pretty well and felt not that bad this morning. I was cleaning out my medication drawer this morning and found an unused box of Felodipine (5 mg). Amlodipine and Felodipine are calcium antagonists of the dihydropyridine type. Both block the voltage-dependent L-type calcium channels. Hurrah!

I wanted to switch hypertension medication the previous year, and my GP prescribed me Felodipine, but I never tried it. So, I took 5 mg of Felodipine this morning. I don't think I've ever had such a bad day. Burning tinnitus and also hyperacusis is much worse, and I had a really terrible headache all day. I took a couple of Ibuprofen and Tramadol, but nothing helped. I spent the afternoon mostly lying on the sofa but wasn't able to sleep. Now, 8 hours later, I'm feeling a bit better. Could Felopdipine have caused this?

6. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma, Noise Exposure, TMJ & ETD
      Apparently, Gateway Biotechnology's nasal spray for tinnitus in development is just a nasal formulation of Nimodipine to enhance delivery and reduce systemic side effects.

7. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Indeed, you are correct. It's for noise-induced tinnitus.

8. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      Not yet; I'm figuring out options to discuss at the moment.

I have Memantine, Piracetam, Nimodipine, Glycine, and Taurine.

For now, I'm only on Taurine, but I will talk to my doctor in time. If not, I'll just let myself be the guinea pig. As a pharmacist, I can access that stuff.
      Very interesting. Do you know anything about the dose?

9. AverageJoe12

AverageJoe12 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club in Feb ‘23, MRI in Feb '24, drummer since age 15
      Is Taurine helping with your tinnitus?

10. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Do you really have access to any drug you want?

FYI, Memantine, Nimodipine and Taurine did not help my tinnitus.
      I advise you to take antioxidants, especially when experimenting with new medication.

Felodipine is also an anti-mineralocorticoid, which might have something to do with your reaction.

Anyway, it seems like these L-type calcium channel blockers are hit or miss. But mostly miss.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      I just read that Nimodipine is an anti-mineralocorticoid, too, just like Nifedipine and Amlodipine. I should specify that it was just a guess that this property had something to do with @HighleyTall's reaction.