• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Nociception in Pain Hyperacusis

You or Juan get setbacks from squealing car breaks? I hear them through the walls in my house from the street. Even with earmuffs on. It's absolutely insane. It seems every time I hear this noise my tolerance drops permanently. I have to wear earmuffs all day in my own house because of all the squealing breaks outside. I can tolerate my fan, it helps with the loudness hyperacusis, but if I don't have earmuffs on during the day it will be nonstop pain.

Like the loudness of these squeals are like 10 dB maybe at most. It feels like it's causing damage. I mean can it? I thought I understood hyperacusis but noxacusis is a different story.
I bet those brakes outside won't move a dB metre inside?

No you can't get damage but I believe it can feel uncomfortable for a normal sensitive person.

I bet those brakes outside won't move a dB metre inside?

No you can't get damage but I believe it can feel uncomfortable for a normal sensitive person.
Believe me I thought the same thing. I tried to use logic. I get worse. I know I'm not losing hair cells from this, but it's definitely causing more nerve damage and causing more inflammation. You think I'm kidding, but if I hear a car squeal at any decibel, I'll be wearing muffs inside by the door and the mailman will come by with a nasty squeal.

I will get instant pain and permanent worsening on my noxacusis. Everything I though I knew about this condition, is wrong. When noxacusis gets so severe I get pain from birds outside, no logic or facts come into play. I am closing in on becoming in the top percentage of worse nox cases. I only get worse. I hear mosquitos across the house and it sounds like their right in my ear.

I have literal superhero hearing but it's extremely painful.

Believe me I thought the same thing. I tried to use logic. I get worse. I know I'm not losing hair cells from this, but it's definitely causing more nerve damage and causing more inflammation. You think I'm kidding, but if I hear a car squeal at any decibel, I'll be wearing muffs inside by the door and the mailman will come by with a nasty squeal.

I will get instant pain and permanent worsening on my noxacusis. Everything I though I knew about this condition, is wrong. When noxacusis gets so severe I get pain from birds outside, no logic or facts come into play. I am closing in on becoming in the top percentage of worse nox cases. I only get worse. I hear mosquitos across the house and it sounds like their right in my ear.

I have literal superhero hearing but it's extremely painful.
Everyone in here that ever experienced ear pain and wondered WTH happened believe you <3

These days I only get it for reasonable events.

Although I prefer a few hours of pain instead of 13 tinnitus sounds.

How's your tinnitus?

Everyone in here that ever experienced ear pain and wondered WTH happened believe you <3

These days I only get it for reasonable events.

Although I prefer a few hours of pain instead of 13 tinnitus sounds.

How's your tinnitus?
Up until this month it was constant and never spiked. It was a relief. But lately after a few loud sounds outside my house it spikes to every noise. Keeps getting louder. I also have nasty beeping and waving distortions in both ears. And whistling, and chirping. And if I let the pain come out all the way it's not pain. It's so bad I can't function the rest of the day. So bad I need to drink till I pass out bad.

The noxacusis I would say is still worse than the tinnitus.

Up until this month it was constant and never spiked. It was a relief. But lately after a few loud sounds outside my house it spikes to every noise. Keeps getting louder. I also have nasty beeping and waving distortions in both ears. And whistling, and chirping. And if I let the pain come out all the way it's not pain. It's so bad I can't function the rest of the day. So bad I need to drink till I pass out bad.

On off reactive squeal is horrible...

People call it distortion.

I hear bus brakes from all sounds and movements... :/

How old are you Brian...?

Sending hugs <3

How can you tell if the pain is from Type 2 fibers or the middle ear?
My inner ear noxacusis was activated at a different time from the middle ear pain.

Inner pain was from a car accident, and weeks later I was exposed to my car break, got a nasty deep stab in my ear. It's a deeper feeling, not just pain, a really nasty feeling, the worst pain I have ever experienced. Exactly like a knife getting shoved through your ear to your brain. Makes you seriously want to die.

My middle ear pain happened months later after yelling, I felt my tensor tympani contract really hard and felt something snap or break. Never had issues with talking before that, only pain from high pitch noise. I woke up the next day, talking hurt and everything was much louder in that ear and caused middle ear aching and soreness. I also know that for sure because my other ear was exposed to a loud car, I was pretty far away but without earplugs in because I was walking on a golf course at 1am, and I felt the stabbing but it didn't feel as deep, and I felt it travel out to my face, the trigeminal nerve is connected to middle ear stuff.

That's another way for me to tell. Having both, you can compare the pain and what it feels like. Most people don't know the difference, because of how complex it is, but the inner ear pain is definitely worse. Only if people have both can they truly judge it. This is cringey, but think of the inner ear pain like your nuts are getting squeezed until they explode. All guys know how nasty that feeling could be, but imagine it never going away and always activated by noise.

My inner ear noxacusis was activated at a different time from the middle ear pain.

Inner pain was from a car accident, and weeks later I was exposed to my car break, got a nasty deep stab in my ear. It's a deeper feeling, not just pain, a really nasty feeling, the worst pain I have ever experienced. Exactly like a knife getting shoved through your ear to your brain. Makes you seriously want to die.

My middle ear pain happened months later after yelling, I felt my tensor tympani contract really hard and felt something snap or break. Never had issues with talking before that, only pain from high pitch noise. I woke up the next day, talking hurt and everything was much louder in that ear and caused middle ear aching and soreness. I also know that for sure because my other ear was exposed to a loud car, I was pretty far away but without earplugs in because I was walking on a golf course at 1am, and I felt the stabbing but it didn't feel as deep, and I felt it travel out to my face, the trigeminal nerve is connected to middle ear stuff.

That's another way for me to tell. Having both, you can compare the pain and what it feels like. Most people don't know the difference, because of how complex it is, but the inner ear pain is definitely worse. Only if people have both can they truly judge it. This is cringey, but think of the inner ear pain like your nuts are getting squeezed until they explode. All guys know how nasty that feeling could be, but imagine it never going away and always activated by noise.
So my problems are probably middle-ear related. I have an appointment with Myriam Westcott on the 15th of July and she's an expert on TTTS/acoustic shock. Sorry if I come off rude but this was a very enlightening post.

This is cringey, but think of the inner ear pain like your nuts are getting squeezed until they explode. All guys know how nasty that feeling could be, but imagine it never going away and always activated by noise.
So a bruised feeling with some burning sensation along with slight fullness/tightness, how would you categorize that? This started 2 days ago after a cracking noise of dropped wood plank. 1st day I felt it starting, second day was a pretty bruised up feeling and today it's slightly better again but it's in waves of pain coming and going.

Like a raw feeling inside ear... really f-ed myself.

What's with the snapping feeling? I read people experience that before shit hits the fan pain.
Same, I read about it all the time. Idk, could be a number of things, nerves breaking, tensor tympani or stapes getting damaged, cells dying.
So a bruised feeling with some burning sensation along with slight fullness/tightness, how would you categorize that? This started 2 days ago after a cracking noise of dropped wood plank. 1st day I felt it starting, second day was a pretty bruised up feeling and today it's slightly better again but it's in waves of pain coming and going.

Like a raw feeling inside ear... really f-ed myself.
I've had that raw feeling and like an open wound for a year, I had 2 months relief from it but now it's back. It's a nasty feeling. I would say you have mild to moderate noxacusis, with middle ear inflammation and pissed off tensor tympani or stapes. I say rest up man and protect. Your ears will probably improve a lot. My noxacusis became more permanent when I tried to push through sound therapy.

Same, I read about it all the time. Idk, could be a number of things, nerves breaking, tensor tympani or stapes getting damaged, cells dying.

I've had that raw feeling and like an open wound for a year, I had 2 months relief from it but now it's back. It's a nasty feeling. I would say you have mild to moderate noxacusis, with middle ear inflammation and pissed off tensor tympani or stapes. I say rest up man and protect. Your ears will probably improve a lot. My noxacusis became more permanent when I tried to push through sound therapy.
Thank you :(

Your TTTS was painful?
Hi @Brian Newman -- I'd say "somewhat" painful. It wasn't constant, but fluctuated, at times for brief periods becoming intense. For the most part quite manageable. After doing the DMSO and Magnesium Oil, it all cleared up completely. Can't say it was 100% because of the DMSO, but I believe it was a big factor. If you do any amount of research on DMSO, you'll discover a number of amazing testimonials about what it can do for a variety of health conditions. Improves circulation; reduces inflammation. Great combo!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now