Noise (Shop-Vac in a Crawl Space) Induced Severe Tinnitus — Barely Hanging On

Chadilac

Author
Aug 20, 2020
Tinnitus Since
June 2020
Cause of Tinnitus
Noise induced
Hello all, I have been lurking here for the last 3.5 months since my onset and I thought I would introduce myself.

This is the 3rd time I've had tinnitus in the last 10 years. The first 2 times were mild cases and I was able to habituate rather quickly within 6 months of each and I forgot I even had tinnitus because it never bothered me.

3.5 months ago I was using a Shop-Vac in a crawl space and my ears were too close to it. I got the high pitch ringing in my ears later that night. I am not so lucky this time around. The tinnitus is severe and I would rate it a 8/10 and sometimes a 9/10. I hear it all the time except in the shower.

I feel so stupid. I can't believe I did not think of wearing hearing protection. I had no idea that tinnitus could be this bad.

I have seen an audiologist and have normal hearing up until the higher frequencies of which I have hearing loss. I got a pair of hearing aids that I use to mask the tinnitus and I am having to mask it all hours of the day to keep my sanity. At night I take the hearing aids off and use white noise through my phone to fall asleep to.

I am already on anti-anxiety medication for GAD but with the tinnitus added on as a stressor, the medication only goes so far. I'm so stressed that my muscles are in knots and I'm struggling with sleep. I'm also struggling to keep my job because it is stressful going to work while fighting this battle 24/7. I am not suicidal but I also do not want to live with this condition. Every single hour of the day is a struggle to get through.

The only thing I look forward to is going to sleep because that's the only time I do not hear the tinnitus.

I struggle knowing that I will never feel joy or happiness again. I feel so hopeless...

Hello all, I have been lurking here for the last 3.5 months since my onset and I thought I would introduce myself.

This is the 3rd time I've had tinnitus in the last 10 years. The first 2 times were mild cases and I was able to habituate rather quickly within 6 months of each and I forgot I even had tinnitus because it never bothered me.

3.5 months ago I was using a Shop-Vac in a crawl space and my ears were too close to it. I got the high pitch ringing in my ears later that night. I am not so lucky this time around. The tinnitus is severe and I would rate it a 8/10 and sometimes a 9/10. I hear it all the time except in the shower.

I feel so stupid. I can't believe I did not think of wearing hearing protection. I had no idea that tinnitus could be this bad.

I have seen an audiologist and have normal hearing up until the higher frequencies of which I have hearing loss. I got a pair of hearing aids that I use to mask the tinnitus and I am having to mask it all hours of the day to keep my sanity. At night I take the hearing aids off and use white noise through my phone to fall asleep to.

I am already on anti-anxiety medication for GAD but with the tinnitus added on as a stressor, the medication only goes so far. I'm so stressed that my muscles are in knots and I'm struggling with sleep. I'm also struggling to keep my job because it is stressful going to work while fighting this battle 24/7. I am not suicidal but I also do not want to live with this condition. Every single hour of the day is a struggle to get through.

The only thing I look forward to is going to sleep because that's the only time I do not hear the tinnitus.

I struggle knowing that I will never feel joy or happiness again. I feel so hopeless...
I am in a very similar boat - just trying to take it one minute/hour at a time honestly. I hope we both can find some relief soon, either via new medicines or recovery/habituation.

I totally understand how you feel. I'm a little over a month in and 24/7 ringing so annoying. I haven't felt like my happy self since :(
Crossing my fingers it will go away.

I got a pair of hearing aids that I use to mask the tinnitus and I am having to mask it all hours of the day to keep my sanity. At night I take the hearing aids off and use white noise through my phone to fall asleep to.
So sorry for what you're going through - I really hope it reduces over time.

I have a question as I've been on a waiting list for 4 months to see an audiologist.

Do you use your hearing aids to correct the hearing loss? Or to generate masking noise?

Thanks.

So sorry for what you're going through - I really hope it reduces over time.

I have a question as I've been on a waiting list for 4 months to see an audiologist.

Do you use your hearing aids to correct the hearing loss? Or to generate masking noise?

Thanks.
I only use them to generate masking sounds.

I feel so stupid. I can't believe I did not think of wearing hearing protection.
I've had tinnitus since 2012. Very bothersome then but if I could go back to what it was then because it's gotten worse over the years - and that beginning episode would be a dream now! That said, I'm right there with you on the above as there have been too many times I've put myself in a situation that after the fact (with a corresponding spike), I was like, I was so stupid and should have known better. Hope others might learn to not make the same regretful mistake.

All said, there are still noisy things that can happen, which is why I am back on here after time away. Sibling cracked some plastic (totally unexpectedly) the other night a short distance from my left ear and it was like a firecracker going off. Had been doing good overall and now keep slipping into a bad depression fighting the horrible spike after this latest event.

Hurting, crying, and ear pain after using Shop Vac.

Should I get steroids?
Steroids should be used right away if used at all. If you are still in that window you could go to the ER or your GP.

Clearly you are in shock... I sympathize, this condition loves to destroy our nervous systems and lives.

Perhaps you could go out and get some Magnesium and NAC. Eat some fish and get lots of ginger and garlic in your system.

The ear pain should slowly go as well as the crying and hurt.
Hold on tight... you can do this

Daniel xx

Just thought I'd give an update on my situation. It's been around 7 months since the onset of my tinnitus and it's still there but I have habituated.

It no longer causes any distress. I can sit in my quiet vehicle while my ears are ringing away and it doesn't bother me. I haven't used my in-ear maskers in months. The only time I use background noise is at night when I go to bed.

I quite often go hours without even hearing my tinnitus now. I didn't think it would be possible to get to this point. Now with every passing month I seem to be able to go greater lengths of time without noticing it.

I still hold onto hope that we will have a cure for this condition in the not too distant future. But until that day comes, I can patiently wait.

Just thought I'd give an update on my situation. It's been around 7 months since the onset of my tinnitus and it's still there but I have habituated.

It no longer causes any distress. I can sit in my quiet vehicle while my ears are ringing away and it doesn't bother me. I haven't used my in-ear maskers in months. The only time I use background noise is at night when I go to bed.

I quite often go hours without even hearing my tinnitus now. I didn't think it would be possible to get to this point. Now with every passing month I seem to be able to go greater lengths of time without noticing it.

I still hold onto hope that we will have a cure for this condition in the not too distant future. But until that day comes, I can patiently wait.

Glad to hear it! It helps the rest of us when you post your improvement. So thanks.

This is amazing news! I am elated to see that you have achieved some form of peace, especially given how rough things were for you at first.

If I may ask: are there things you did specifically to help you through this time? Or was it all simply a matter of waiting? I currently express much of the same pessimistic thinking and issues (i.e. sleep and stress) that you had at first, and I would love to learn of any steps you might have taken to expedite your recovery.

@Drachen
We will make it thru. I believe. As @Chadilac has. Given enough time. Being newbies at this makes us impatient and causes a lot of undue stress/fear. I believe your approach has been well thought out and articulated. Honestly we don't know how long it will take us to habituate but you can be sure we will. That's my hope and prayer for all of us. Keep your head up and stay positive. Or maybe I'm just feeling better about actually getting a little sleep last night... best of luck!

This is amazing news! I am elated to see that you have achieved some form of peace, especially given how rough things were for you at first.

If I may ask: are there things you did specifically to help you through this time? Or was it all simply a matter of waiting? I currently express much of the same pessimistic thinking and issues (i.e. sleep and stress) that you had at first, and I would love to learn of any steps you might have taken to expedite your recovery.
The only thing I did that may have expedited things was in taking anti-anxiety medication.

I thought it was going to take years to habituate but I think with the help of medication, I was able to get there faster. Besides that I just used my in ear maskers daily.

I think like @BrOKeN_1 said, we all habituate in time.

I am elated for you! Having gone through 30 years of tinnitus and many spikes, which I am in one now, I know the feeling of habituation! Habituation is not a cure but it allows life to go on with certain precautions. G-d Bless and hope for better treatments or cure. Again I feel your pride! I hope to get there soon again.

The only thing I did that may have expedited things was in taking anti-anxiety medication.

I thought it was going to take years to habituate but I think with the help of medication, I was able to get there faster. Besides that I just used my in ear maskers daily.

I think like @BrOKeN_1 said, we all habituate in time.
How are you doing now?

Actually not very good. 2 months after i habituated, I suffered another noise trauma due to a poorly inserted earplug.

The noise damage kicked me out of habituation with much louder tinnitus. I had to quit my job a couple months ago because I didn't want to risk any more noise damage.

I hear my tinnitus all the time now. It is much more intrusive than it was before. I'm going on 16 months now since the trauma and still waiting to habituate again. I hope i can get there again.

I'm so sorry to hear that man. How loud was this trauma or what was it if you don't mind? I keep hearing about noise traumas and would like to avoid that if I can...

It was from another Shop-Vac that I had used for about 10-15 minutes. I'll never use another Shop-Vac again for as long as I live!

You're the type of person I think about everyday. So you had to use a Shop-Vac again because of your job?

10 minutes is an Incredibly long time...

What's your age?

Yes, using a Shop-Vac was a part of the job. I thought I was protected using earplugs. Hindsight is 20/20, I should have quit my job sooner. I'm 47.

I'm using sound therapy through my hearing aids all day. I don't know of any other way.

Do you have any advice?
If you don't mind me asking, how much hearing have you lost? I ask because I see that you wear hearing aids.

I'm surprised that with earplugs the Shop-Vac would have worsened your tinnitus. I mean I wear earplugs when I vacuum, I wear earplugs when I blow dry my hair, which I try to do very infrequently - moving to the natural look. I definitely bring earplugs to the hairdresser when she does my hair.

Are you using a Shop-Vac close to your ears all day long?

If you don't mind me asking, how much hearing have you lost? I ask because I see that you wear hearing aids.

I'm surprised that with earplugs the Shop-Vac would have worsened your tinnitus. I mean I wear earplugs when I vacuum, I wear earplugs when I blow dry my hair, which I try to do very infrequently - moving to the natural look. I definitely bring earplugs to the hairdresser when she does my hair.

Are you using a Shop-Vac close to your ears all day long?
I don't think the earplugs were very good. I use different ones now that are better but I have since quit the job and no longer have to use Shop-Vacs. I won't go anywhere near a vacuum now.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now