DebInAustralia

Author
Benefactor
Advocate
Dec 11, 2013
Geelong, Victoria
Tinnitus Since
12/2013
I am considering the following treatment to see if this impacts on the severity of my tinnitus/hyperacusis etc soon.

it will consist of Piracetam , which is a nootropic (used to enhance cognition). it is thought that it binds to glutamate receptors as well as the glutamate/gaba ratio. It also helps to enhance blood flow, helps to make cell membranes more fluid; thus allowing neurotransmitters to move from neuron to neuron more rapidly, along with being neuroprotective . It might increase the production of Acetylcholine, which is a nerve signalling neurotransmitter (Research on rats has shown that Piracetam reverses amnesia caused by scopolamine, which blocks acetylcholine) . Piracetam also has a low toxicity profile.

My interest in Choline stemmed from reading Professor Kaltenbach's work with linking acetylcholine receptor deactivation with tinnitus. He theorises that activating the (muscarinic) Ach receptors will be a potential modality to pharmaceutically suppress the tinnitus signal.

Choline is an essential nutrient, that helps maintain the structure of cell membranes; ensuring the proper functioning of the nervous system.

Choline is a precursor to acetylcholine. Piracetam enhances cognitive function by increasing acetylcholine production. So choline and piracetam work synergistically together.

I will be combining choline with piracetam to combat the headaches that are a known side effect of piracetam.

A common hypothesis why choline helps prevent headaches induced by P is that P stimulates acetylcholine receptors; thus increasing their demand for ach. The headache develops as a result of choline deficiency.

I will also be receiving iv phospholipids with my dr.

i am not recommending anyone else try this. ( i am under the supervision of an experienced intergrative dr with an interest in neurodegerative conditions) Just thought some of you might be interested. i will make future posts if anyone is interested to hear of my progress with this regime.

i will make future posts if anyone is interested to hear of my progress with this regime.
Of course you should make progress reports. Thank you :)

PS. I've taken piracetam (if I recall correctly, I started with 2,400 mg / day, then got to 1,200 mg / day). I have trouble remembering how long I took it for since I used a lot of supplements back then, but it was for over a month anyway.

With my initial piracetam regimen I also took Alpha-GPC (which I remember the folks at LongeCity preferred over regular choline, so I took their advice).

No change on tinnitus. :(

I hope your experience is a better one!

Good luck.

Also you might try coluracetam, in the future. No headaches for me so far, but im taking it once/twice per week. Per ammount is 5 mg sublingually. I prefer this to noopept(1000-5000 times stronger piracetam). They both give me motivation and cognitive enhancement, but coluracetam gives this beautiful visual filter; old movie effect. Especially outside, street lights in the evening. Dreams feel so very real too. The main effect lasts few hours but even on the next day i'm quite a bit quicker in thinking and concentration is better. Learing and solving tasks is fun...in a couple of days it fades and i'm back to being an idiot.lol. But it feels great, once in a while to be on "steroids" for the brain. I'm paranoid to take it constantly; too much good stuff might be bad? The more exited i'm hearing how does it work out for you and is there any tolerance build up happening? Good luck!

I know I'm very late to post but I just can't see how a drug that decreases the neuronal negative charge (increasing excitability) can reduce tinnitus?

I dont think that you have to take that choline suplement. I used to take 4800mg of piracetam without it for 2 weeks and I never had any headache.

I am considering the following treatment to see if this impacts on the severity of my tinnitus/hyperacusis etc soon.

it will consist of Piracetam , which is a nootropic (used to enhance cognition). it is thought that it binds to glutamate receptors as well as the glutamate/gaba ratio. It also helps to enhance blood flow, helps to make cell membranes more fluid; thus allowing neurotransmitters to move from neuron to neuron more rapidly, along with being neuroprotective . It might increase the production of Acetylcholine, which is a nerve signalling neurotransmitter (Research on rats has shown that Piracetam reverses amnesia caused by scopolamine, which blocks acetylcholine) . Piracetam also has a low toxicity profile.

My interest in Choline stemmed from reading Professor Kaltenbach's work with linking acetylcholine receptor deactivation with tinnitus. He theorises that activating the (muscarinic) Ach receptors will be a potential modality to pharmaceutically suppress the tinnitus signal.

Choline is an essential nutrient, that helps maintain the structure of cell membranes; ensuring the proper functioning of the nervous system.

Choline is a precursor to acetylcholine. Piracetam enhances cognitive function by increasing acetylcholine production. So choline and piracetam work synergistically together.

I will be combining choline with piracetam to combat the headaches that are a known side effect of piracetam.

A common hypothesis why choline helps prevent headaches induced by P is that P stimulates acetylcholine receptors; thus increasing their demand for ach. The headache develops as a result of choline deficiency.

I will also be receiving iv phospholipids with my dr.

i am not recommending anyone else try this. ( i am under the supervision of an experienced intergrative dr with an interest in neurodegerative conditions) Just thought some of you might be interested. i will make future posts if anyone is interested to hear of my progress with this regime.
Hi, was this of any use to you?

Hi, was this of any use to you?
Hi Gordon,

I can't remember specifically why I didn't go ahead with this treatment (probably illness). It might have been around the same time as I decided upon stem cells at the start of my lyme journey. So, I am sorry I can't say if that strategy would have worked. I'd forgotten all about it to be honest.

Are you thinking of trying it for yourself?

Hi Gordon,

I can't remember specifically why I didn't go ahead with this treatment (probably illness). It might have been around the same time as I decided upon stem cells at the start of my lyme journey. So, I am sorry I can't say if that strategy would have worked. I'd forgotten all about it to be honest.

Are you thinking of trying it for yourself?
Yes, I have a spreadsheet with every treatment methodology / supplement I've seen mentioned. Piracetam is interesting because I've seen some people say in their EU home countries it is a prescribed treatment. I know some have said it has helped while for others they've said it has been neutral or harmful. I won't be able to habituate until I have exhausted every option.

I hope you have had some improvement or increase in your quality of life! I am on day 25 and it's been truly terrible.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now