jjflyman

Author
Oct 20, 2016
Michigan, USA
Tinnitus Since
09/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
noise (Concert)
Although I am improving from my acoustic trauma tinnitus, I almost feel like I have a form of PTSD when it comes to loud noise. When I'm out, I am always "looking out" for the possible loud noise, and try to avoid putting myself in a position where a loud noise might take place, and get angry when somebody's carelessness causes loud noise.

Anybody else feel like it is a form of PTSD?

This can happen to people with "noise induced tinnitus" and especially when hyperacusis is present. It is for this reason the overuse of earplugs is not advised and I also do not recommend using a sound decibel meter for anyone that might become over anxious about their tinnitus and hyperacusis - these things can easily instil in a person that they have a problem and the problem can manifest itself into something bigger if they are not careful. I always say "positivity" is so vitally important and must be reinforced. It is not helped if one is drawn to reading posts written by "negative thinking people" in tinnitus forums as this can invoke fear, panic and trepidation as you've alluded to.

Tinnitus and hyperacuis can be very complexed and affect a person's emotions quite considerably. Sometimes counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist maybe required to help reduce negative thinking, fear and anxiety. I explain about these issues in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it and Complexities of tinnitus and hyperacusis in the links below.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

When I'm out, I am always "looking out" for the possible loud noise, and try to avoid putting myself in a position where a loud noise might take place, and get angry when somebody's carelessness causes loud noise.
Had we adopted this policy early in our lives, most of us would not end up with tinnitus. I think that those of us who do the above, learned from our own experiences, and are just behaving rationally.

Although I am improving from my acoustic trauma tinnitus, I almost feel like I have a form of PTSD when it comes to loud noise. When I'm out, I am always "looking out" for the possible loud noise, and try to avoid putting myself in a position where a loud noise might take place, and get angry when somebody's carelessness causes loud noise.

This is an interesting question@jjflyman. My first reaction is no. But when one is diagnosed with PTSD the tinnitus does not help much when triggers are set off.

The fear is normal though even after living with tinnitus for a long time. The important thing is to keep living life but try to protect your hearing at the same time. Hard to do in this world with the unexpected loud noises.

I think it took me a couple of years before I lost the intense fear aspect. I just avoid noisy places by choice. For example, I have not been to a movie theater since about 2002. I just found it way to uncomfortable for me but others are okay with it.

Last edited:
I would agree it's like PTSD. For me I had a fear for anything that might be loud and I would over react to any thud or bang. Fireworks/concerts are the worst... I spend more time wondering if I should be plugging my ears or not.

I worked for a security firm and defied an order from a client after they told me to stand in front of a speaker system... And that's coming from a guy who bends over backwards to make his boss happy, the fear of the noise caused me to flee. Luckily I had a buddy who knew my predicament and volunteered to take that spot.

I have a pair of ear plugs I bring with me only if I know their is a high risk of prolonged loud noise exposure which helps. I only use them if the volume is uncomfortable. I am way more calm than was three years ago, but if I find myself in a loud situation the PTSD like anxiety comes running back and I'm getting out of Dodge no matter what.

Hi there, yes...
I have some form of PTSD when hearing loud or strange noises. For example, If I hear a vaccum cleaner or a high pressure washer from a neighbour, the acute sound of it would cause me anxiety and start covering my ears to see if the sound comes from the outside, or it is a new T. Despite I will be quite sure that the sound comes from the exterior, I will have my doubts.
I know... i have a very bizzare behaviour.
I believe this is some kind of PTSD, GAD and OCD
I have them all.
Anyone elese with this kind of behaviour?

I told my therapist I have PTSD from acoustic trauma but she doesn't believe it's possible. She says it isn't traumatic, a traumatic event such as life threatening is PTSD. People just don't understand... good for them I guess..

I told my therapist I have PTSD from acoustic trauma but she doesn't believe it's possible. She says it isn't traumatic, a traumatic event such as life threatening is PTSD. People just don't understand... good for them I guess..
She's an idiot. Maybe find a better one?

I've definitely felt and thought about this too. And it's reliving to not see I'm the only one. And especially seeing this from you, jjflyman, who now feels better, after having been through not just acoustic trauma but also having felt like it brought on PTSD, that brings hope.

And this wasn't the case when I first got tinnitus from my first acoustic trauma, then I only had tinnitus and lived a very normal life. But after other acoustic traumas that happened after that I developed hyperacusis and TTTS, and other symptoms that definitely has felt related to PTSD, such as a decreased startle response, being very on edge cause I suppose my brain has been conditioned to look out for danger. I've read about PTSD and I've definitely developed a lot of the symptoms, and it has all really felt like a real trauma, no doubt.

But realising how greatly connected my tinnitus, hyperacusis, TTTS etc. is to the limbic system, and the whole thing with neuroplasticity, has me currently optimistic about that things can get better. Even though I'm one of the slower recovery cases on here, which I really believe is because of the whole PTSD thing that developed. But I just have to work on the mind going forward.

I feel traumatized from how I got the tinnitus, and damaged my ears.

I don't know if I would call it PTSD, but I get flashbacks to the incident (3 months) ago, every day, and also in the morning when I wake up. I feel like I kind of sacrificed some of my hearing in the moment, because of stupid shit, like not wanting "to look stupid" with earplugs, etc. Something I regretted the next day immediately, before I noticed any tinnitus.

To give away some of the hearing for some kind of in the moment thing, is not good a good swap. I feel super stupid about it, and have everyday thought back at how stupid I was, especially since I had gotten earplugs beforehand and everything.

I guess I can learn from it, and as long as my hearing won't get worse until I am old, then I will be good.

And as long as my tinnitus won't get worse, I will manage all good.

But, I used up all my extra lives in this really stupid moment, and I am traumatized over how I could be ok with that in the moment, and I am afraid I will do more stupid shit that will lead into permanent problems.

That being said, I probably did not think the damage was as bad as it was in the moment, but yeah, I regret it really hard, and it is really traumatizing.

I look on the day that I messed things up a lot; probably more than I should. For those who are more neurotic like myself, it is difficult to let go of things that have already happened, and to try to move on with the new normal. It doesn't help that the nature of tinnitus is constant, and that hyperacusis can be terrifying when you are already afraid of things getting worse.

We've all made dumb decisions; some of us just have to live with those decisions, while others make it out without a problem. I went shooting with 6 other people, and was the only one who put anything in my ear (albeit tissue paper so not very good protection), however I was the only one who came out with hearing loss and tinnitus this bad. It sucks, I wish things were different, but this is the way things are now. All any of us can do is keep living on, do what we can to protect ourselves, and hope that a treatment will free us from this. One day, I think most of us will have some relief. My hope is that it'll come in the next 5-10 years. As more and more people suffer with this illness as the world gets louder and louder I'm sure something will come out one day that will help us out. In the meantime, hold on as best you can.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now