Second Acoustic Trauma: Seeking Advice on Ear Fullness/Pressure

Thanks for sending over this protocol! I'm already listening to music every day at a comfortable volume, but the phases outlined in Rob's protocol make a lot of sense, especially the last one, where you briefly set the volume to an uncomfortable level before lowering it back to a loud but comfortable level. It sounds risky with headphones, but he provides careful instructions. His music training/therapy spans a 10-month period, and if you follow the protocol, by the end of those 10 months, your ears should be able to tolerate a short exposure to uncomfortable volume.

Listening only at low volumes wouldn't make sense for the therapy, especially if you're looking to recover from hyperacusis and TTTS. Gradually increasing the volume daily is key to helping your auditory system desensitize. One thing Rob may have implied but didn't specifically mention is the importance of choosing your favorite music for the therapy. Listening to music you enjoy can boost serotonin levels, which can enhance neuroplasticity and potentially improve results.

Interestingly, like with your TTTS symptoms, mine also started two months after my acoustic trauma. I didn't experience fluttering in the initial weeks. You mentioned that you had a constant 24/7 clicking, so, no fluttering in response to certain sounds? I haven't experienced 24/7 clicking. TTTS can present with various symptoms, but after an acoustic trauma, the main symptom tends to be fluttering in response to specific tones or volume
May I ask if you also experience an increase in ear pressure when you speak? My ear pressure tends to increase in the evening, along with the high-pitched tinnitus.

May I ask if you also experience an increase in ear pressure when you speak? My ear pressure tends to increase in the evening, along with the high-pitched tinnitus.
I have this issue as well. When I speak or chew food, ear pressure builds up, and my tinnitus increases. I suspect this may be due to my TMJ acting up.

I have this issue as well. When I speak or chew food, ear pressure builds up, and my tinnitus increases. I suspect this may be due to my TMJ acting up.
I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I believe something is still wrong with the way my inner ear processes audio. About 10 years ago, I experienced similar problems, and it took almost a year and a half for things to improve or for my hearing to return to a more dynamic state.

Although the exact mechanisms are not fully understood, TTTS often seems connected to hyperacusis and may fade as hyperacusis fades. The muscle may be reacting to protect the ears from loud sounds, and this response can be retrained. TTTS appears in different forms: some experience constant spasms unrelated to sound, which may be psychosomatic or neurological, while others have spasms triggered by specific sounds or volumes, often due to acoustic trauma.
This is a good description. The psychosomatic aspect, in my opinion, can have a significant impact. New neural pathways must be formed after acoustic trauma, and that is a slow process. Anxiety, "fear of sounds," tensing up, stress, poor sleep, and similar issues fuel TTTS and are all obstacles to healing.

There's still time, @matt89, and a good chance of improvement. Have faith that you'll get there with time. I would also suggest trying natural muscle relaxants like Magnesium glycinate before bed (if you're not already supplementing with it).

Update on Week 14 after my trauma:

Tinnitus: It has somewhat receded into the background, making it difficult to tell if it has truly gotten quieter. At least it no longer feels as piercing as it did in the beginning.

Pressure in the ear: Unfortunately, this is still present. It feels as though the eardrum is overly tense, and my hearing remains restricted and muffled. The lower tones, in particular, sound muted and lack volume.

Hyperacusis: Fortunately, this hasn't been as severe as in previous years. However, small noises, especially at night, can still startle me—like a crack coming from the fridge.

Overall, things feel slightly better, but still far from good. I just wish the pressure would ease up a little more.

You mentioned that you had a constant 24/7 clicking, so, no fluttering in response to certain sounds?
I can't remember exactly, to tell you the truth. During that time, I was in a highly controlled environment, so I wasn't really exposed to loud noises. Before it became constant, there was a gradual buildup. It would occur when I lay down, when I burped, or when I got stressed or angry. After a few weeks, it started happening all the time.

May I ask what caused your acoustic trauma back in 1996? I browsed through your posts but, unfortunately, couldn't find any information about it.

Also, if I'm correct, you did not have any hearing loss in the audiogram after the trauma, right?

One more question regarding the muffled hearing perception you described as "hearing underwater." You mentioned that this sensation disappeared after about six months. Would you say your ears "opened up" again, restoring clear hearing, or was it more like your brain adapted to the underwater hearing, making it your "new normal"?

I appreciate your reply. Have a nice weekend!
Hi Matt,

How are you doing with your ear fullness and pressure?

I'm still dealing with it—sometimes it's worse, sometimes a little better, but it's always there.

I just remembered my setback from February 2014 yesterday, and at that time, I had similar symptoms. It also came to mind that during a long drive through Europe, I was using earplugs while driving, so the pressure and tinnitus remained quite bad, even after more than a year. That's the bad news. The good news is that, eventually—maybe after two years—it got better, at least to a tolerable level or mostly gone. I can't remember exactly, but there is hope.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now