• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Still Not Accepting It After 7 Months...

Hey man,

I know exactly how you are feeling, every day I beat myself up about damaging my hearing over a stupid alarm. I was in such a dark place. Have a look at some of my posts from 2016 and 2017, They do not make for good reading but I am sure you will understand what a state I was in.
Fast forward to today and my tinnitus has gone. It was more than a year before things started to improve and I started to feel like myself again. Now I am around 20 months from the acoustic trauma that caused all my problems and I was just thinking today about how messed up I was. I was sitting in my car, no music on and it was silent. I checked with the app on my phone and it read 26db, that's the same as my bedroom at night. No tinnitus, I tried searching for it but nope, nothing.
If you are experiencing periods of almost silence I believe yours can fade away completely too. In the mean time avoid loud noise and look after yourself. Try and relax. It will improve and things will get better but it takes time, lots of time.

I found a couple of glasses of red wine helped improved my mood in the evening when I was messed up. Just don't go overboard.

Sounds like you have a nice wee family there :) I know what you mean when you say this causes problems with your relationships and your family. It's not easy to deal with but hang in there, things will get better.
So, your tinnitus really went away? I ve been into this for 2 and a half months and although I would want it to go away I don't think it will..... It is always the same and actually I have habituated... that is the only change..... I think this will be with me for the rest of my life :/ Hearing you gives a small amount of hope I guess. Tnx for sharing this

Hearing you gives a small amount of hope I guess.
Check out
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441

Having said this, the fact that it is relentlessly at the same level is not a good sign. I recommend that you try protecting your ears from moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a blender. Try it for three months.

Also check out
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

Check out
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441

Having said this, the fact that it is relentlessly at the same level is not a good sign. I recommend that you try protecting your ears from moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a blender. Try it for three months.

Also check out
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
Tnx. I will protect my ears. But, for me this was not only an acoustic trauma... this was a long exposure to earbuds as well.... I don't think that the damage can be repaired by itself that easily.... but, we'll see... Also, I made a terrible mistake... A week after the acoustic trauma I went to the cinema bc doctors told me I was fine and nothing was wrong....So, I think I may have even worsen my condition, although I am not sure.... After researching this, I realized the mistake I did so I really regret that now :/ And smoking is definitely bad for tinnitus, at least in my case... I really need to stop doing that as well.... life is so hard -.-'

So, your tinnitus really went away? I ve been into this for 2 and a half months and although I would want it to go away I don't think it will..... It is always the same and actually I have habituated... that is the only change..... I think this will be with me for the rest of my life :/ Hearing you gives a small amount of hope I guess. Tnx for sharing this

Thankfully yes, I can tell you it was the darkest period of my life.

2.5 months is nothing, it was a year before mine improved and 18 months before I could say it was gone really.

I will always be careful around loud noise and have gained an education from this experience. I will always have ear plugs when attending loud places now.

Well 7 months ago I had a happy family. fast forward to today and my wife and I are separating for awhile. T really does take everthing that gives joy.

Eerie right? That this can destroy a life completely. If somewone told me about this two-three years ago I would tell them they are nuts.

Hey man,

I know exactly how you are feeling, every day I beat myself up about damaging my hearing over a stupid alarm. I was in such a dark place. Have a look at some of my posts from 2016 and 2017, They do not make for good reading but I am sure you will understand what a state I was in.
Fast forward to today and my tinnitus has gone. It was more than a year before things started to improve and I started to feel like myself again. Now I am around 20 months from the acoustic trauma that caused all my problems and I was just thinking today about how messed up I was. I was sitting in my car, no music on and it was silent. I checked with the app on my phone and it read 26db, that's the same as my bedroom at night. No tinnitus, I tried searching for it but nope, nothing.
If you are experiencing periods of almost silence I believe yours can fade away completely too. In the mean time avoid loud noise and look after yourself. Try and relax. It will improve and things will get better but it takes time, lots of time.

I found a couple of glasses of red wine helped improved my mood in the evening when I was messed up. Just don't go overboard.

Sounds like you have a nice wee family there :) I know what you mean when you say this causes problems with your relationships and your family. It's not easy to deal with but hang in there, things will get better.

Wow, I am so happy for you! I remember distinctly reading your story a couple of years ago or so about how you were on a ladder and a burglar alarm was going off. That story stuck with me and I felt really bad for you. I had no idea it went away but I'm so glad the story has a happy ending!

Still can't get past the thought of having tinnitus forever after one stupid mistake from one shot.

Therapy hasn't done much and and I still spend every hour regretting causing hearing loss and tinnitus. All my relationships are suffering and most of the day I am in disbelief at the current state of things. My children know something is wrong and that is what kills me the most.

I can't bear the thought of this interfearing with their young lives...All day I think God what have I done.

I have a practical suggestion. It is possible that you have hearing loss since you have acoustic trauma. Go to an audiologist and get your hearing checked as high as possible. At least up to 14khz. The free hearing tests at hearing aid places usually only go to 8khz. If you have ANY loss at all even if they guy says it is mild and you don't need a hearing aid, ask to try one for a few weeks. If you have any hearing loss between 8khz and 12khz, try an extended frequency bandwidth aid such as the Signia 7nx. This aid can be programmed up to 12khz as long as you have the extended audiogram. In addition, if you have tonal tinnitus, it has a notch therapy program for tinnitus which can help people lower their tinnitus over time. The hope behind the hearing aid is to get some of the background noise to mask your ringing so you can't hear it or barely notice it. Some of my tinnitus cannot be heard if I have my hearing aids on even in a "quiet room".

Hi I am experiencing the exact same symptoms as Jason. Mine was coused by one loud explosion from a firecrakefi only one meter away. My hearing is fine in the normal spectrum as expected.... I too have this weird cricket sound in my right ear that only appears when I hear different sounds like the wind in the trees, I have this weird feeling that my ears is full when I am around sound. Other than the constant high pitched tinnitus, I also have that weird electronic chippering in my ear which constantly changes pitch and volume. My tinnitus sounds like an old TV. But the worst thing is defenetly the wierd cricket sound that apparap when I different sound, it has taking away the joy I used to have when I go outside in the nature.... I have tried so many things but nothing helps.... I did get prescribed with steroids less than a week after, but I'm sure it hasn't helped at all. Though I am only 3 weeks in. And I have been protecting my ears alot after the incident with earplugs, but still exposing my ears to most of every day sounds. I even wear proffesionel earmuffs when I'm driving. I am sure I also got hyperacusis to some extent alot of sounds seems to be to loud and sharp. It's so difficult.... And as I have already said to my parents, they are the only reason that I haven't ended this yet... As they have already experienced to much sorrow.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now