The Hum from Hell

Discussion in 'Support' started by DaveO, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It's strange, it's pretty constant, except it stops if somebody is talking to me, then it starts again in the silence to fill in the gaps. The sounds I listed also help to stop or disrupt it. It doesn't alter when I move so it's not somatic. I have higher tones that aren't somatic either. I got the works!

Oh, audiobooks work too, for the reason given above. You can set a timer on Amazon's Audible app. In the past I've tended to wake up during the last chapter of the book before that feature was added!

2. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      General Note of Interest:
      Lallapalooza is commencing in Chicago over the next four days. An estimated 150,000 people will attend and there will be 180 bands performing.
      Our Chicago Tribune actually had an article urging attendees to wear noise cancelling and/or reducing devices; at least there is finally a Public Service awareness about the dangers of hearing damage from exposure to high decibel sound.
      I can only imagine how many will ignore this warning and stand for hours in the vicinity of supercharged speakers, thus programming themselves for acquiring this condition.

3. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Most people have no idea what the vaque terminology such as "hearing damage" consists of, or implies.

If they are like myself, I thought that it only means people will have to talk louder, so I can hear them.
      That idea did not bother me in the slightest.

Most people have never heard of Tinnitus and/or are completelly unaware of what this waking nightmare brings to the table.
      Therefore "hearing damage" does not sound very scary to them.

4. Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I'll have a look at those thanks!

5. Yolo82

Yolo82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus: