The Positivity Thread

Hi guys. Great that we are powering along with this thread! Just to let you know that I am now off medication to help me sleep! Winter is coming here is Sydney and I look forward to some nice sleep ins.

Last night as a fan I watched the last finale of David Letterman's epic comedy Late Night show which has been running for 33 years. Going to miss such a funny guy. What an accomplishment for the distinguished comedian. He and Carson are my favorites of all time. Some of you may have known that Letterman has tinnitus for ages. In this show clip of a much younger Letterman and William Shatner in 1996, he told his audience he has 2-toned T 7/24 and getting worse. But he joked that his 2-toned T is like the Emergency Broadcast System on test mode every minute of the day, and asked his audience to have some sympathy for him. LOL. I had a great laugh watching the show the first time. It was done with some sense of humor due to the nature of the show. Of course, we know Shatner was suffering badly at first and he said he was suicidal. Letterman never talked much about his suffering from T, but through his continuing the show for 33 years, he just shows me with his example that life can be lived normally and productively even with T 7/24. I don't try to minimize other people's T with Letterman's example. Each person will have to find something to not let T rule or ruin his/her life. We have many such examples from those success stories on TT. If you haven't watched the show of Letterman and Shatner talking about their T, here it is. Hope you can extract some spirit of positivity from these two gentlemen and I include it here on the Positivity Thread as our way of honoring this great comedian who has the same T affliction as us. Now if only he picks up the torch from Shatner and be the next spokesperson for ATA in his retirement (LOL):

Letterman & Shatner talk show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdx8aueK9I

Hey guys! Fellow T sufferer here. I've nit seen any positivity posts in while so i'm starting one. Feel free to tell how were you able to live with T and the people who helped you lived with it, in my case my friends were a big help. Also you may goof, around tell about yourself, what do you do in your vacant time to distract oneself from T. Hope this helps others that are anxious and I want to spread that there is hope and empower those who are in need of help especially those who are anxious about this.

11.png

Hey guys! Fellow T sufferer here. I've nit seen any positivity posts in while so i'm starting one. Feel free to tell how were you able to live with T and the people who helped you lived with it, in my case my friends were a big help. Also you may goof, around tell about yourself, what do you do in your vacant time to distract oneself from T. Hope this helps others that are anxious and I want to spread that there is hope and empower those who are in need of help especially those who are anxious about this.
In the early days (8weeksago)or the anxiety weeks,family and friends allowed me to turn up at 8 o'clock at night to chat for a couple of hours,it helped me to get through that period.Also diazapam and zimovane were my support,until I could manage without.Now I'm back doing everything that I did before.ie gym,cycling,wild camping and sleeping without drugs.I have a therapist that I can contact anytime if required,and now meet every two weeks.

Hi gentle people. I went back to see my audiologist after a 6 month break. Good news. My score on the TRQ (tinnitus response questionnaire) has moved for an initial 70 in March last year to 18 in May this year. I have fallen into the "mild" category. I have also mostly stopped taking medication for sleep - only used once a week for very stressful times. Still on antidepressants but was on it for 10 plus years before T onset. My focus is reducing the intensity of noise from T now that the actual sound bothers me so much less.

A message for positivity

Afternoon all, hope all is well. Im pleased to say my T of 22 months is almost non existent. I fractured my skull in august 2013 causing instant, really loud T in my left ear. Although iv never taken any medication or vitamins for it I always believed some day it would go. After 1 year it was a little better, but it has been in the last 6 months things have dramatically improved. The only things I can think of that have helped me are listening to quiet music just in my left ear through earphones and drinking plenty of milk ( I think calcium helps).

So I hope iv given all T sufferers some hope.. just stay positive people :)

A message for positivity

Afternoon all, hope all is well. Im pleased to say my T of 22 months is almost non existent. I fractured my skull in august 2013 causing instant, really loud T in my left ear. Although iv never taken any medication or vitamins for it I always believed some day it would go. After 1 year it was a little better, but it has been in the last 6 months things have dramatically improved. The only things I can think of that have helped me are listening to quiet music just in my left ear through earphones and drinking plenty of milk ( I think calcium helps).

So I hope iv given all T sufferers some hope.. just stay positive people :)
Nice to hear that! Are you having moments with silence now?

3 months now for me,and just got back from 7day cycling tour,and hardly noticed the ear noise,but today it's saying hello again.I must learn to be less bullish,and thinking I have got it licked.Glad there is a forum around.

3 months now for me,and just got back from 7day cycling tour,and hardly noticed the ear noise,but today it's saying hello again.I must learn to be less bullish,and thinking I have got it licked.Glad there is a forum around.
Me too! Just got home from playing football my T is still mild though. It's been a month since the I noticed the ringing and compared on what I've read here it's really mild sometimes and can be heard in quiet rooms. There arw times I don't notice it at all! I'm not really stressing about it cause I know it will get worse.

Well, let's see, I'm pretty sure I got this T because of the Township redoing our street, and chopping the trees down and new sidewalk. They used very, very, loud, large machines. It took weeks. But anyway, I have it. So now, I take a lot of vitimans, and I keep busy, which seems to keep my mind off of it. I think after awhile the brain accepts the sound, and it just starts to tune it out, cause sometimes I have to try and hear it. It happens at least once a week. But I have a terrific husband,two beautiful daughters, and 4 awesome grand children. So my life is good,I can't see me letting this T bring me down. Nothing changed in my life because of it,except that my life has more value, and I'm so much more in tune with everything around me. I love my life.

Absolutely beautiful day today, so we went for a motorcycle ride into the city. You know, just the 3 of us, me, my wife, and my tinnitus :D

We toured a huge, fascinating cathedral which has a nice garden behind it, and I had the best cappuccino I've had in a couple weeks. Then I went to my gym and got some time in the steam room, pool, sauna and jacuzzi... with all that, who needs to actually exercise to feel good?

It's been a wonderful day and it's not over yet...

Hi all,I would like to recommend a book,which I think all tinnitus sufferers could benefit from.Its called "The seven spiritual laws of success.by a man called Chopra.

Absolutely beautiful day today, so we went for a motorcycle ride into the city. You know, just the 3 of us, me, my wife, and my tinnitus :D

We toured a huge, fascinating cathedral which has a nice garden behind it, and I had the best cappuccino I've had in a couple weeks. Then I went to my gym and got some time in the steam room, pool, sauna and jacuzzi... with all that, who needs to actually exercise to feel good?

It's been a wonderful day and it's not over yet...

I have a beautiful evening too with my wife and my tinnitus. LOL. We walked hand in hand and watch the gorgeous sunset together after dinner. She has chronic asthma & other respiratory illnesses which cause her chronic fatigue. I have bad back and a ringing 'orchestra'. But we manage to enjoy a good time despite all the other challenges in life, enjoying a moment of solitude and serenity and witnessing the beauty of God's creation together. Sometimes in life, we need to forget the bad days and the unfortunate past, and look forward with hope and positivity. A little conscious effort to remain positive despite challenges in life can do wonder to improve our quality of life. Sometimes we cannot change the uncontrollable, but we can change within, our attitude and approach to life, thereby re-creating a life force within despite having to live with T. Here is a site with some wonderfully positive messages to lift your spirit. Hope you all have a great and wonderful day.

http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.as...EmY/GNhrEZHcbC6Z9jdav6doAhjOVlFbYvxCps=&d=541

This is one method that could be tried:D
Don,t mask it,accept it,make it your mantra during meditation,let it become your new silence,love it.Don't worry about that,that cannot be controlled.Try this method for enough time.I,ve done this at long last,and at present I,m relaxed about it.It can go if it likes,or stick around,I'm not fussed.From my research my T is fairly chronic.good luck.

It is Father's Day in Canada. Not sure if this is the same across the world. I have a great time with my children treating me to delicious dinners and giving me gifts. Life has other beauties such as this other than T. It is up to us to focus on these other beautiful aspects of life besides T. Life is like a beautiful park, full of lovely flowers and trees. Yet there are also the bird and dog dumps littered here and there. When we visit the park, it is up to us to enjoy the floral beauty and the green serenity around us, or to focus on those dumps & complaining about it. Whether the visit to the park is a positive & happy experience or a negative & unhappy one is all up to us. We are a product of what we think. Choosing positivity to live will need a conscious decision but it is well worth it. T is there whether we live positively or negatively, but being positive will be easier to live with T.

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there.

A funny-ish true story then. I was sitting at my computer just now when something caught the corner of my eye ... it was a little mouse (with a big tail) creeping out slowly through the doorway to the next room into the room where I was (a kitchen / dining room).

He was probably trying to escape outside to the back garden (since it's a nice day and all the doors leading to the garden are open ... maybe that's the way he came in (possibly the cat brought him in and he escaped but got trapped inside). Now usually it's the cat who distracts me from the computer, not a mouse.

Anyway, foolishly, instead of just leaving him be, I decided to push the door to the next room closed to stop him getting back in there. This had the opposite effect and he darted through the gap into the next room. So I opened up the door again, and tried to chase him out. No luck of course, just hid himself away somewhere.

Speaking of the cat, where was the cat? Well, outside lazing in the sunshine of course. I went outside and tried calling her in to do her job. Ha - no chance pal.

I'm not quite sure how this is going to pan out, but it's true to say that no mammals have (so far) been harmed during the making of this posting.

Having a nice social position, stabilised situation, loving family, healthy kids, not having to worry if I will make it financially another month or I will end up on the street one day or at best will always live in this crappy, ruined, too small social flat and neighbours ruining the little sleep I can get. I admit that if I had all that I would probably habituate easier, put things into perspective like the title says and not worry that much about my condition. The problem is it's so much the opposite. And I guess I'm not accepting t cause I'm afraid that it will ruin my chances of obtaining all this one day . As if it hadn't been so damn difficult before already. And here I am again, the gloomy one :) Sorry. But I believe our general social situation plays an important role in how we manage the t problem.

I believe our general social situation plays an important role in how we manage the t problem.

I agree, in that the times I forget about my T for some length of time, generally involve times that I force myself to just go do things and interact with people, no matter how I feel. Mind you, there are plenty of times it doesn't "work", but the times that I just sit home by myself, I'm pretty much consumed with this entirely.

Having a nice social position, stabilised situation, loving family, healthy kids, not having to worry if I will make it financially another month or I will end up on the street one day or at best will always live in this crappy, ruined, too small social flat and neighbours ruining the little sleep I can get. I admit that if I had all that I would probably habituate easier, put things into perspective like the title says and not worry that much about my condition. The problem is it's so much the opposite. And I guess I'm not accepting t cause I'm afraid that it will ruin my chances of obtaining all this one day . As if it hadn't been so damn difficult before already. And here I am again, the gloomy one :) Sorry. But I believe our general social situation plays an important role in how we manage the t problem.
Hey Gosia. Please keep in mind that many people maintain "normal" lives despite their tinnitus. I know how much tinnitus can impact upon your reduced positive sense of the future - I've been there. It has been about 18 months now since it hit me hard. I thought I had been through enough horrors in life including a childhood of neglect and trying to achieve in an academic environment that is patently homophobic . Like my childhood and the unfairness of hostile work environment, I found a way through both. I didn't get out of either unscarred I can tell ya. As with other unwanted challenges I have encountered I just push myself through it. I have days which are sh*t and other days I forget about it altogether. The days have gotten better. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really think you need more professional support than you are getting - an empathic counsellor, a knowledgeable audiologist and some meds for the depression you are feeling might be useful - just my take on it kiddo. Be wary of negative people in your life. "with our thoughts we make the world" the Buddha said - negative thoughts really will drag you down, negative people will take you with them. I hope my input helps you.

@Davo, thanks for your attention. I'm ( for now ) living a normal life ( except giving up concerts and loud places ), but I'm currently on holidays and jobless,so it's easier. I'm worried about times when I will have a full time job (IF) or about one more year of my second studies that I have left. Already without T they were very exhausting, but with T , when I'm never certain if I will sleep at night...I went through horror between march and june. Begining of T just before a big exam session. I did it though. Sometimes passing two exams a day after sleepless nights. Going there on my last legs. Let alone my emotional state! But I did it and passed all successfully. So yeah, it's kind of a normal life sustained. Just that it was like walking on thorns and I did it not to feel even worse that I failed sth because of t, but I really didn't enjoy any moment of life then. Now I'm much better. But still scared like hell of the future ( what if it gets worse..?)
I'm sure people with mild T can lead a very normal life. The louder it gets the more difficult normality becomes. Today my sounds were really low and I'm instantly a different person. I could even say I almost haven't thought about it and enjoyed life. Everything depends on how strong it is, not on my attitude. I could surely use some CBT but I cannot afford it and unless I pay I can't have it. I don't suffer from clinical version of depression. It's only reactive. If my T disappeared I 'd be very happy right away. I don't want any meds..Especially AD that, as we know, can themselves result in T. I will have to deal with my state of mind in any other possible ways. When it comes to negative people..I don't think there are any because globally there are very few of them. I'm going to one more doctor soon..I've been waiting for four months for the visit, that much she's popular. Apparently an angel and a great professional. I'm going to try some acupuncture and massage sessions.

Hi (again) Folks!

I posted for the first time ever at the start of May when after ten years of quite successfully managing my T I had an unexplained spike which really shook me up.
I had felt very proud of myself, how after initially feeling destroyed that I'd been able to habituate and importantly recognise what eased or increased the condition - colds, airplane journeys, too little sleep, noisy clubs with that in mind and always carrying a set of moulded ear plugs I beat the T and got on with a normal life. I'd forget about it for days, maybe weeks at a time which was unimaginable when it first started 10 years ago.
Anyway back to today, in March this year it spiked and I'm still uncertain why. It really had me beaten again and I felt devastated. I think the worse I've ever felt in my life.
NOW the important part for all those going through the first few weeks and months of T or an unwanted spike, here I am four months later, going for long periods of time with my brain only hearing quiet, yes it's there BUT yesterday I actually had to stop in a quiet place and listen for 'the ringing' that - and please believe me here - was not something I could have imagined ever happening again, I'm not super strong or really able to adapt my life but I beat it again. When your in that dark and lonely place and think it'll never work out, PLEASE hang in there it does have a way of ALWAYS getting better. There are millions and millions of us who completely understand what your going through... give it time (more than you'll want to!) but please do and be as strong as you can because it WILL improve - I promise. Reach out to me or someone like me, we can offer a much needed dose of positive experience amongst an internet full of quite the opposite. Remember, in most cases people post when they are in the low point and dwelling to much on the condition but when they are back on their feet and getting on with life, they forgot and that's all we want right? I hope this helps others as much as it feels good to post some positive news from somebody who really does understand!

NOW the important part for all those going through the first few weeks and months of T or an unwanted spike, here I am four months later, going for long periods of time with my brain only hearing quiet
Hi Swingsound
So glad to hear you are doing better. Wonderful news full of hope for us newbies as well.
Tamika

Hey All ... I just wanted to share some positivity. I'm on day 2 of a big holiday to Italy from NY, USA. I have been in Venice for two days now and I have had a great time. I have hardly thought about T at all even though I know it's always there. I have been going through an incredibly hard time this year and thought that good times were no more but there is always somewhere out there to go and something that IS Worth living for...I'm sitting in the hotel room now writing this and I can hear my t over the HVAC system but I'm just not giving a f-ck. Life is worth it. don't ever give up.

Cheers to all.
Ben

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now