Tinnitus & Hyperacusis as a Result of Taking Ambien/Zolpidem

Athens

Author
Nov 7, 2021
Tinnitus Since
09/27/2020
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
I am curious if any of you have experienced tinnitus & hyperacusis as a result of taking Ambien/Zolpidem.

I realize that there are a gazillion drugs referenced as ototoxic and probably just as many that could conceivably aggravate a condition.

I took Zolpidem for a few months before experiencing hyperacusis. I also took 2.5 mg of Lexapro (a tiny dose) for one week prior to the onset of hyperacusis, but I doubt that such a small dose for such a short period of time could cause hyperacusis. I noticed the tinnitus several months after the hyperacusis.

I have continued to take Zolpidem but frequently only take 2.5 mg.

I've been taking Ambien 10 mg a night for two weeks for better sleep. I sleep for 4-5 hours, then awake. My tinnitus is louder lately. Not taking that crap anymore.

Ambien made my tinnitus and hyperacusis much worse. I took it for about a week and stopped.

it also gave me horrible side effects while on it and a permanent mild head bob.

I've been taking Ambien 10 mg a night for two weeks for better sleep. I sleep for 4-5 hours, then awake. My tinnitus is louder lately. Not taking that crap anymore.
Ambien made my tinnitus and hyperacusis much worse. I took it for about a week and stopped.

it also gave me horrible side effects while on it and a permanent mild head bob.
I was doing good with regards to my tinnitus and hyperacusis. I recently started taking Ambien and I had a setback. Feel like crap now. Wonder if the Ambien is why.

I've been taking Zolpidem (Ambien) for 20 months most nights overnight at less than 2 mg, occasionally 3 mg to 4 mg. I haven't noticed a change in my tinnitus or any side effects after I take it vs. when I don't take it. Hyperacusis did become a noticeable issue about 3 months ago that I would not associate with Zolpidem.

I am curious if any of you have experienced tinnitus & hyperacusis as a result of taking Ambien/Zolpidem.

I realize that there are a gazillion drugs referenced as ototoxic and probably just as many that could conceivably aggravate a condition.

I took Zolpidem for a few months before experiencing hyperacusis. I also took 2.5 mg of Lexapro (a tiny dose) for one week prior to the onset of hyperacusis, but I doubt that such a small dose for such a short period of time could cause hyperacusis. I noticed the tinnitus several months after the hyperacusis.

I have continued to take Zolpidem but frequently only take 2.5 mg.
What does 2 mg of Lexapro do for you?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now