Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

Hi all this seems the best thread at the moment to post this question on but does anyone out there suffer from the slight shakes /trembling, in the hands in particular,? as I do and for some reason more so in my right hand and can wake up in the morning with the sensation and although not always visible I can feel it but most of the time see the shaking

I can only put this down I think to my anxious brain not at all happy with this alien noise in my head, I have this feeling on and off but mostly on since the onset of the T in late November and weirdly I find it can get worse in the evening. I think I will go to my GP soon and see what he says but does anyone else get this and if you do have you been able to conquer it at all by the way I am on 20mg of Amitryptyline at night and I have been on this only for about 2 months so I cant put it down entirely to a reaction of that but I will in the next few weeks wean myself of them just to see if it helps

Let me know Guys and Girls

Yes, I have that as well.. And some annoying pressure sensation in my face.. Like you said before (if I remember correct) its like you want to pull something off your face. I also have it slightly in my jaw.. I dont think its related to anxiety (at least in my case). It seems to be very related to my neck.. As it comes and goes depending on what neck position I have (especially). If I lay down on my right shoulder, it aggravates it very badly.

But I cant say for sure what it is.. I also feel slightly dizzy from time to time, and if I stress, it seems to flare up very badly..

Please let me know if your GP has any suggestions of what it can be.. My guess is that it is caused by a nerve in the upper cervical area / shoulder area.. And also the cause of our T.

Dr. Klemons in NJ and Dr. Stack in Virginia are like brothers. I've met Dr. Stack in person and talked to Dr. Klemons on the phone. I think they are both very close to retiring near 80 years old. The only thing is Dr. Stack will recommend surgery from another old doctor near retirement called Dr. Gregory (I think). This is a minor surgery to keep the disc in place, but dr . Klemons thinks that is the only thing Dr. Stack does too much of. In general surgery is to be avoided, even minor surgery. The treatments these doctors give are also pennant in phase 2 and possibly pennant at some point in phase 1 trial according to warming out there, even if the TMJ doctors say it is not. I don't know, but from personal experience I tried the device and my bite has not gone back weeks after taking it out after wearing it 24/7 for almost 3 months including eating.

I'm in Virginia and I don't know what visits to New Jersey would bring me, but I could maybe see. A tmj doctor in California said that Stack was the best on the east coast. This is the CA doctor:

These doctors have a lot of far out theories about tmj dysfunction causing a lot of neurological diseases, which makes trusting them harder.

Im kinda causios of those "experts", but it might very well be something to it..

I think its related to the neck in my case, as it seems like neck positions and tension in the neck are deeply related to pain and T. Im going to have a look at that video though :) I do suspect that TMJ could be an issue as well, but my intuition says that the root cause is neck related..

Im kinda causios of those "experts", but it might very well be something to it..

I think its related to the neck in my case, as it seems like neck positions and tension in the neck are deeply related to pain and T. Im going to have a look at that video though :) I do suspect that TMJ could be an issue as well, but my intuition says that the root cause is neck related..

Hi Mr Cartman, so you get the trembling a bit as well do you,? I don't seem to suffer from any neck or shoulder pain I really do think it is down to nerves and stress and no matter how I talk to my self to say it will be ok and get better, live your life etc I still cannot seem to relax the body and it just slightly worries me what possible long term effects this could have on the body and general well being ?

I will definitely let you know what my GP says
All the best to you.

Hi Mr Cartman, so you get the trembling a bit as well do you,? I don't seem to suffer from any neck or shoulder pain I really do think it is down to nerves and stress and no matter how I talk to my self to say it will be ok and get better, live your life etc I still cannot seem to relax the body and it just slightly worries me what possible long term effects this could have on the body and general well being ?

I will definitely let you know what my GP says
All the best to you.

I got the trembling indeed..

Yeah, I understand what you mean.. Im sure it could all be due to stress as well.. Along with tension and all that stuff.

Thanks for keeping me updated :)

All the best to you as well!! :)

I don't get the trembling in the hands. At one point early on when my symptoms of neck, face, dizziness and all kinds of stuff in the head were much worse I could get a trembling in the neck which could be provoked by emotions. The slightest emotions of fear/anxiety could set it off and I was under a lot due to the strange problems I was having. I think I remember this, but not too sure. The muscles were so sensitive that this sort of input would affect them. Healthy muscle would not have this reaction.

Trigger points in the upper cervical can certainly affect the arms and hands, but I'm not familiar with trembling.

I don't get the trembling in the hands. At one point early on when my symptoms of neck, face, dizziness and all kinds of stuff in the head were much worse I could get a trembling in the neck which could be provoked by emotions. The slightest emotions of fear/anxiety could set it off and I was under a lot due to the strange problems I was having. I think I remember this, but not too sure. The muscles were so sensitive that this sort of input would affect them. Healthy muscle would not have this reaction.

Trigger points in the upper cervical can certainly affect the arms and hands, but I'm not familiar with trembling.

Maybe trembling is the wrong word for it in my case, but kind of muscle spasms that comes and goes. Its not like constant trembling/shaking, but rather spasms in my case probably.. Also tingling sensations..

Do you have any idea if exercise is able to kind of release trigger points?

I also have spasms below my right ear. The muscle that causes these spasms seem to hurt pretty bad when I do a stretch where I turn my head to the left and tilt it a little. Compared to the left side this stretch hurts pretty bad. The muscle on the right side also seems to feel way harder and thicker than on the left side. I know people keep telling me that I'm "looking for things" but it is just as it is. Same thing with the left shoulder. When I stretch the muscles up there and turn my head to the right, the muscle there starts to spasm and causes a completely different sound in the left ear.

All in al I think it's clear where the cause is coming from. Just need someone who really listens and doesn't treat me like I'm talking bullshit.

Oh ye and I do had a few times a warm sensation in my hands, but can't say I had any spasms in my hands.

I also have spasms below my right ear. The muscle that causes these spasms seem to hurt pretty bad when I do a stretch where I turn my head to the left and tilt it a little. Compared to the left side this stretch hurts pretty bad. The muscle on the right side also seems to feel way harder and thicker than on the left side. I know people keep telling me that I'm "looking for things" but it is just as it is. Same thing with the left shoulder. When I stretch the muscles up there and turn my head to the right, the muscle there starts to spasm and causes a completely different sound in the left ear.

All in al I think it's clear where the cause is coming from. Just need someone who really listens and doesn't treat me like I'm talking bullshit.

Oh ye and I do had a few times a warm sensation in my hands, but can't say I had any spasms in my hands.

Yeah, this is the case with me as well.. When I turn my head to the left and tilt it, I get those spasms as well.. And the muscles around there hurt indeed (pretty bad in my case). Also muscles on the right side is a lot thicker and harder (it seems like my left ones are kind of under developed and shortened in a way).

My entire trapezius feels stiff and inflamed, also my SCM feels stiff and inflamed (but only left side).

My shoulder pops all the time as well..

Ive found that if I use my neck constantly, the T goes away together with the pain. Walking doesnt seem to do that much, but shuffling and puffing seems to take it away, where the neck and shoulders are being used constantly.

If I remember right, @just1morething experienced something similar.

But one way or another, my jaw is somehow affected as well, because it hurts!

I was working out the upper part of my neck/back today doing inverted flies with my arms in a lot of different angles.
I also tried to retrain the left SCM for a bit.

When I was done, my SCM and shoulders started to spasm like crazy.
Yesterday I had really bad spasms in my SCM, and I could feel that it came from the clavicular head of it.
If I stretch it, I get all sorts of weird muscle spasms, even in my temple bone..

If I lay down on my shoulder (kinda sqeeze it) I get pain in my ear, like a bad pressure.. And it hurts!

This is also happening while I drive my car.

Have you had any success regarding progress and such?

@Sjtof
@chronicburn
@just1morething
@Jay M

I stumbled upon some stuff that you might find interesting. I dont know how accurate this information is, but thought it was worth sharing. If there is some truth to this, I would think it is possible to try some of this stuff out ourself.

Cervical Treatment Procedure
1. Performing the upper cervical "Escape" Position
2. Performing lower cervical Manual Retraction
3. Instructing patients in lower cervical retraction
exercises

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.americanbackpaincenter.com/VestibularSeminar.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vestibular Rehab

"Out-Think" Vertigo (BPPV), Dizziness, Neck Pain & Headache

Mike Secosky, MPT, Vestibular Therapist Is one of only 50 spine therapists in the United States recognized by the American BackPain Center. His advanced training in the cervical spine led to significant changes in inner ear testing, or what Mike refers to as "Respect the Neck/Protect the Neck".

These cervical considerations have led Mike to exciting new examination & treatment methods for the inner ear and complimentary treatment techniques for coexisting cervical pathologies. His totally unique combination of inner ear and cervical testing procedures lead to dramatic and rapid results in the vast majority of patients referred for vertigo, dizziness, balance problems, headaches & migraine.
Mike currently practices in western Pennsylvania where his growing reputation has well over 100 physicians from various medical disciplines referring him their most challenging vestibular patients.

Research of the spine
Education
Treatment
Prerequisite - NONE.

After years of collaboration, two experts in their fields have come together to present the most comprehensive vestibular course yet. Angelo DiMaggio, PT, Spine Therapist, and Mike Secosky, MPT, Vestibular Therapist, have combined decades of clinical work and volumes of current research to jointly present a major paradigm shift in cervicogenic dizziness/vestibular rehabilitation. This shift is the result of a newly discovered sensitivity of cervical structures and recent ground-breaking cervical spine research. Our greater understanding of the cervical spine's involvement in vestibular problems has resulted in what we now call "Respect the Neck/Protect the Neck" Inner Ear Testing.

Clinical results on several hundred vestibular, migraine, stroke, post-concussive, and tinnitus patients using the new testing procedures reveals the seldom considered horizontal/lateral canal of the inner ear to be at fault over 80% of the time. This change in inner ear testing has led to all new inner ear treatment protocols. You will not only learn the new inner ear testing procedures, treatment protocols, and patient home programs, but also a new application of cervical biomechanics capable of decreasing or abolishing the majority of vestibular patient's headaches in as little as 1 to 3 visits. Along with lecture and lab, actual vestibular/cervicogenic dizziness/headache patients will be examined and treated to demonstrate the rapid and dramatic results routinely achieved.

This biomechanical examination results in a cervical home program individually designed to control a vestibular patient's frequently associated headaches. As a result, you will be able to resolve your vestibular patient's vertigo, dizziness, and balance problems, while also relieving their cervical, head, and facial pain.
Angelo DiMaggio, PT, Spine Therapist
is a nationally renown lecturer and spine consultant. For over 30 years his practice has specialized exclusively in the treatment of spinal pain. Creator of the "Strategic Orthopedics Spine System", a 6 course spine series (4 of which are devoted solely to the cervical spine), he has conducted over 600, 2-4 day seminars through major medical centers, and has trained over 10,000 medical practitioners.
New research confirms Mr. DiMaggio's longstanding contention that cervical pathology routinely refers symptoms to the head & ear thereby confusing the inner ear/vestibular issue and confounding the inner ear examination and treatment.
He is currently president of the American BackPain Center and founder of the American Headache Institute – Head, Neck, and Facial Pain Treatment Center in Rochester Hills, Michigan.

Day 1 8 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Program Outline
Upon completion of this course, participants will understand the following;
Course Objectives
* Registration 8-9 a.m.
* Welcome & Introduction
* Cervical Anatomy & Pathophysiology
* New Cervical Spine Research Regarding
- Cervical production of head, face & ear symptoms
- Cervical abolishment of head & face symptoms
- The role of the Trigeminal Cervical Nucleus (CNS)
- The role of upper cervical symptom production
- Tinnitus literature review
* Introduction to "Respect the Neck/Protect the Neck"
Inner Ear Testing - Cervical or Vestibular Dizziness?
* Inner Ear (Vestibular) Anatomy & Pathophysiology: Why it's the Horizontal not the Posterior Canal (new
prevalence findings).
* Inner Ear Research – A Literature Review on Canalith
Repositioning Techniques (CRT) & Otolith degradation.
* A new way of mapping symptomatic head, ear, & facial
symptoms.
* Proving the neck is involved – the predictive and
systematic elimination of ear, eye, head & facial
symptoms.
* Cervical Examination of the Vestibular patient
* Multicenter Clinical Outcome Reports on the Cervical
Treatment of;
- Vertigo (BPPV), & dizziness
- Tinnitus
- Eye pain & visual disturbances
* "Traditional" Inner Ear Testing & Treatments - Inherent
Shortcomings of Dix-Hallpike, CRT Contraindications, &
Epley"s Maneuver.
* New "Respect the Neck/Protect the Neck" Inner Ear
Examination Procedures – Application & advantages in
distinguishing BPPV from cervical pathology.
* Clinical Outcomes Report – Results on over 600 patients
(both in-patient & out-patient) treated for Benign
Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and
Headache/Migraine pain.
* Hands on Lab – Vestibular Examination Procedures
1. Rhomberg Test
2. VOR (Vestibular Ocular Reflex) with Gait
3. Slow VOR
4. Smooth Pursuit ("H" Test)
* Cervical Examination of the Vestibular patient
* Vestibular Patient #1 – Examination & Treatment
(live demonstration) (60 min)
* Vestibular Patient #2 - Examination & Treatment
(live demonstration) (60 min)
END 6:00 P.M.

Day 2 9 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

* Treatment of the Upper Cervical spine - meticulous
biomechanical repositioning for rapid relief.
* Treatment of the Lower Cervical spine - First manually
applied, then patient instructed to self-treat headache,
ear, and facial pain.
* Cervical self-treatment for the vestibular/headache patient;
maintaining relief at home (home program).
* Hands on Lab – Cervical Treatment Procedures
1. Performing the upper cervical "Escape" Position
2. Performing lower cervical Manual Retraction
3. Instructing patients in lower cervical retraction
exercises
* New "Respect the Neck/Protect the Neck" Treatment
Procedures which clear the ear, check the neck, then
"down-regulate" the Trigeminal Cervical Nucleus of the
CNS.
* The role of Gaze Stabilization/Habituation (eye) exercises to maximize neural plasticity and postural control.
* Incorporating Cervical Self-Treatment for optimum results
with surprising relief of Headache & Migraine pain.
* Hands on Lab – Vestibular Treatment Procedures
1. Head thrust
2. Hand placement for Secosky Maneuver
3. Cervical hand placement to stop nausea
* Vestibular Patient #1 – Reexam & Treatment (visit 2)
(live demonstration) (30 min)
* Vestibular Patient #2 – Reexam & Treatment (visit 2)
(live demonstration) (30 min)
* New assessment on CVA and Concussion patients for
BPPV: Is vestibular ataxia and imbalance delaying their
recovery?
* Clinical Outcomes Report - Results on 82
Headache/Migraine patients presenting with vertigo,
dizziness, tinnitus & visual disturbances, treated at the
American Headache Institute.
* New assessment on CVA & Concussion patients for
BPPV: Is vestibular ataxia and imbalance delaying their
recovery?
* How to reduce In-patient rehab length of stay for CVA &
Concussion patients.
* How to reduce observation bed cost & hospital stay for
acute vertigo patients.
* Geriatric care for balance & dizziness and stabilize gait,
minimize falls, and decrease mortality rates.
* Case Studies: CVA/Concussion/BPPV/Cervicogenic
Dizziness.
* Summary : Treatment of the Inner Ear – A New
Cervical/Vestibular Approach
* Open Panel Q & A with Angelo & Mike
* Conclusion

END 5:00 P.M.

How new treatment protocols for the inner ear & cervical spine, when performed in proper sequence, have resulted in rapid alleviation of vertigo, dizziness, headache and migraine in the first 1-3 visits for the vast majority of patients.

93% of acute hospitalized vertigo patients are discharged home within 24 hrs. of admission with independent ambulation using these procedures.

The Horizontal/Lateral canal of the inner ear is more prevalent/problematic (>80% of the time) than the posterior canal in BPPV patients.

The cervical spine/vestibular system is responsible for the majority of all:
- Vertigo & Dizziness
- Headache & Migraine
- Tinnitus

The very high prevalence of dizziness among headache patients and headaches among vestibular patients is no coincidence.

The Strategic Orthopedics (SO IV) approach to the cervical spine and inner ear will completely abolish tinnitus in over 50% of all cases in the first 1-3 visits.

New "Respect the Neck/Protect the Neck" inner ear testing:
- Protects the vulnerable structures of the cervical spine and suboccipital region
- Is less stressful on patients (especially the elderly and cervicalgia/migraine sufferers)
- Is easier to perform
- Is more accurate & effective
- Creates new treatment options for both the inner ear & cervical spine

Current research and clinical outcome reports on several hundred vestibular and cervical patients reveals the need to significantly change inner ear testing as a result of new findings in the cervical spine.

@just1morething
@Sjtof
@chronicburn

Actually, it might be something to this. I was doing a google search on lower cervical retraction exercises, because I wasnt quite sure what it was. And when thinking back, this is exactly the position my head was located in when I was able to eliminate my T by lying face down in my bed with two pillows under each shoulder. If it was because of shoulders being elevated, cervical retraction, pressure on my lower jaw, I dont know, but it could very well be the case that cervical retraction made it happen. I have to investigate this a little further :)

Also, when I do the cervical retraction exercises, my T becomes very high pitched, and I can somehow feel that theres something odd going on in my neck / suboccipital area

It might very well be due to blood flow as well.. And as you say, its hard to believe that bad posture alone can cause all those muscles to tense up..

Regarding the eustachian tube, I have read that there are four muscles associated with the function of the eustachian tube:

Levator veli palatini (innervated by the vagus nerve)
Salpingopharyngeus (innervated by the vagus nerve)
Tensor tympani (innervated by the mandibular nerve of CN V)
Tensor veli palatini (innervated by the mandibular nerve of CN V)

It could be that one or more nerves are somehow sending motoric impulses to the muscles, making them tighten up.
I actually dont believe that the brain is doing it, but rather faulty signals from the nerve(s) itself.

If I remember correct, both the facial nerve and the trigeminal nerve can send mixed signals, both motoric and sensory, and that could expain both the pain and the motoric impulses. But then again, I would guess that the nerves are dependend on sufficient blood flow to work properly.

I think it could be possible to track down all the motoric and sensory impulses to figure out what nerves are being affected, as they are responsible for specific motoric and sensory signals sent to the brain. Then it would be interesting to figure out where they receive their blood supply, and make a map of it all. It could be that a slightly blocked artery or a vein could cause some kind of failure to one or more nerves.

You do have a point though, about measuring the blood flow around the neck/face area.
I actually think I will have that done, just in case.

Also, contrast MRI of my neck and suboccipital area. At least that could provide some answers.

I also read that electrical stimulation of the facial nerve right below the ear did trigger a lot of motoric impulses around the face.

Have you ever looked up what happens to a nerve it has insufficient blood supply? I havent yet, just curious if you have any idea :)

When I stretched my scalene muscles, I had my head tilted down, chin touching the breast bone and turned my head to the right. That went smooth, but when I turned my head to the left it felt like something was dislocated in the lower part of my neck. I dont know what it was, but after doing this stretch a few times, it felt like something went into place.. But when I do it now, I still get some weird sensations going on.. Not sure what it is, but theres something going on in that area.. Kind of behind the clavicular head of my SCM.

Also, the spot you are talking about just below the ear.. It feels like something is just not right there as well..

I think both of us should have a MRI of our necks, because something does not feel right in that area..

@just1morething
@Sjtof
@chronicburn

Actually, it might be something to this. I was doing a google search on lower cervical retraction exercises, because I wasnt quite sure what it was. And when thinking back, this is exactly the position my head was located in when I was able to eliminate my T by lying face down in my bed with two pillows under each shoulder. If it was because of shoulders being elevated, cervical retraction, pressure on my lower jaw, I dont know, but it could very well be the case that cervical retraction made it happen. I have to investigate this a little further :)

Also, when I do the cervical retraction exercises, my T becomes very high pitched, and I can somehow feel that theres something odd going on in my neck / suboccipital area

Yeah i have exactly the same when doing cervical retraction exercises, also it stings a bit somewhere around where i guess the 1st cervical vertebra connects to the head.

So i did have that MRI 2 days ago, they said they would scan from the top down to the 3rd cervical vertebra, without contrast, i should have the results in 1-2weeks, i'm curious if something pops up.

I haven't looked up either what happens when a nerve gets insufficient blood supply, but i suppose it will gradually die off no? The dying off proces should be accompanied with pain, tingling and motoric problems, but it would astonish me if it would cause spasms, and if the pain and other sensations would be intermittent or fluctuating like in our cases, so it's probably not because of insufficient blood supply, but the fact that we have that whooshing sound sometimes, and the fact that i can lower my T significantly by moving around keeps me thinking. I don't know how to explain that in terms of muscle tension, except for somethingg that's dislocated maybe.

How are you doing these days? I quit physio for 2 weeks now, gonna start it again soon, but since a few days T has gone up almost to the level at the start again if i don't stretch regularly and watch my posture, i was in doubt releasing muscle tension was not providing relief from my T, but i'm sure it does until a certain point now, it wasn't oincidence. I hope the MRI will shed some light on the matter and they scanned enough of my neck, as it really does feel like something is dislocated somewhere in my neck more or less in the lower part too. I have developed this stinging pain inside my neck somewhere in the middle of the lower part, and a sting in the levator muscle radiating to the shoulder blade, when i move my neck around to the back, or when i sit in an uncomfortable position, i wouldn't know how to explain this otherwise, and all the tension that doesn't go as planned. It's just the only explanation that sounds logic enough to be realistic.
I'm quite confident that it will be solved one day though, and all your brilliant references in medicinal reports seem to convince that, that's very positive :).

Yeah i have exactly the same when doing cervical retraction exercises, also it stings a bit somewhere around where i guess the 1st cervical vertebra connects to the head.

So i did have that MRI 2 days ago, they said they would scan from the top down to the 3rd cervical vertebra, without contrast, i should have the results in 1-2weeks, i'm curious if something pops up.

I haven't looked up either what happens when a nerve gets insufficient blood supply, but i suppose it will gradually die off no? The dying off proces should be accompanied with pain, tingling and motoric problems, but it would astonish me if it would cause spasms, and if the pain and other sensations would be intermittent or fluctuating like in our cases, so it's probably not because of insufficient blood supply, but the fact that we have that whooshing sound sometimes, and the fact that i can lower my T significantly by moving around keeps me thinking. I don't know how to explain that in terms of muscle tension, except for somethingg that's dislocated maybe.

How are you doing these days? I quit physio for 2 weeks now, gonna start it again soon, but since a few days T has gone up almost to the level at the start again if i don't stretch regularly and watch my posture, i was in doubt releasing muscle tension was not providing relief from my T, but i'm sure it does until a certain point now, it wasn't oincidence. I hope the MRI will shed some light on the matter and they scanned enough of my neck, as it really does feel like something is dislocated somewhere in my neck more or less in the lower part too. I have developed this stinging pain inside my neck somewhere in the middle of the lower part, and a sting in the levator muscle radiating to the shoulder blade, when i move my neck around to the back, or when i sit in an uncomfortable position, i wouldn't know how to explain this otherwise, and all the tension that doesn't go as planned. It's just the only explanation that sounds logic enough to be realistic.
I'm quite confident that it will be solved one day though, and all your brilliant references in medicinal reports seem to convince that, that's very positive :).

Welcome back dude! :)

Great to hear that you have had the MRI. I really hope it can provide some answers, hopefully for both of us.
I was refered to a MRI myself yesterday, all the way from my occiput (bottom of my skull) and down to the thoracic disks (including the few first thoracic disks). So even this painful spot between our shoulder blades will be included. I will also have x-rays done of this spot particulary.

Hopefully, our nerves arent dying out on us :)

Im doing slightly better than last time, but not a lot I would say. Its great to hear that stretching helps you somewhat.
It also feels like something is out of place in my neck as well, I just hope that they are able to see this on the MRI.

I quit physio as well, it didnt do anything for me, and the physio didnt want to touch my neck.

I do find stretching to ease the pain though, but like you.. As soon as I find myself in a bad posture, the pain kind of flares up.

Hi guys,

I noticed something, and I never knew that it where my lymph nodes.

On the left side where my T is like the highest I got swollen lymph nodes below my jaw in my neck and my shoulder.

I went to chiro laat Friday and my. Neck hurts like shit since then. It's unbelievable how much it hurts, think it was the last. Time. I went there.

Anyways last nite I felt had continues stings in my left ear and itchy feeling coming from this lymph node below my ear which somehow feels so connect to the inner ear feeling I experience. It feels hard and I remember from the onset that whenever I pressed that lymph it gave me this itchy feeling in my ear.

Then for the shoulder lymph nodes. The spot where they r swollen is the spot which starts to shiver when i did these stretches.

Then on my right ear I always said I experienced some kind off spasm. Well the spot is exactly the spot where the lymph on the left side is thick, however the right one is not swollen and on that side my T is way less. But I do experience those stings in that ear as well from time to time.

Then again last nite I was behind my pc and 2 times I shortly stretched my neck to the right. Resulted 2 times in a temporary fleeting T... In 5 min time...

I know it al sounds weird and stuff. And it looks like I'm always finding new stuff. But the feeling has always been there and it's more that I kind off notice where it might b occurred by.

I never used anti inflammation drugs. Always paracetamol. And I think swollen lymph nodes are caused by infections right? So perhaps I should try such drug and see what happens.

Hi guys,

I noticed something, and I never knew that it where my lymph nodes.

On the left side where my T is like the highest I got swollen lymph nodes below my jaw in my neck and my shoulder.

I went to chiro laat Friday and my. Neck hurts like shit since then. It's unbelievable how much it hurts, think it was the last. Time. I went there.

Anyways last nite I felt had continues stings in my left ear and itchy feeling coming from this lymph node below my ear which somehow feels so connect to the inner ear feeling I experience. It feels hard and I remember from the onset that whenever I pressed that lymph it gave me this itchy feeling in my ear.

Then for the shoulder lymph nodes. The spot where they r swollen is the spot which starts to shiver when i did these stretches.

Then on my right ear I always said I experienced some kind off spasm. Well the spot is exactly the spot where the lymph on the left side is thick, however the right one is not swollen and on that side my T is way less. But I do experience those stings in that ear as well from time to time.

Then again last nite I was behind my pc and 2 times I shortly stretched my neck to the right. Resulted 2 times in a temporary fleeting T... In 5 min time...

I know it al sounds weird and stuff. And it looks like I'm always finding new stuff. But the feeling has always been there and it's more that I kind off notice where it might b occurred by.

I never used anti inflammation drugs. Always paracetamol. And I think swollen lymph nodes are caused by infections right? So perhaps I should try such drug and see what happens.

Hey! :)

Im sorry to hear that your neck took the turn for the worse after the chiro. I can tell you that the same happened with me, and I kind of regret that last chiro visit pretty bad. Hopefully your neck will get better in a little while.

But some really interesting stuff you are pointing out there! My doc has always said I have had slightly swollen lymph nodes around the jaw area. And I have had the exact same thing happening when tilting my head to the left.. I very ofen get a fleeting T.

From what I understand, the lymph nodes are a part of the immune system that hosts cells needed for fighting off infections and such.. I have no idea why they would be swollen though.. Maybe allergy is able to do something like that?

Maybe your doc got some ideas about this stuff?

@Sjtof , what do you mean by shiver? Like spasms? I did some massage at the front of my shoulder, between my pec muscle and the shoulder muscle, kind of inside the shoulder joint, and soon after a muscle in my shoulder started to literally jump up and down for like 5 minutes afterwards very rapidly.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@just1morething
@Sound Wave

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tab02-ing.jpg

digastric.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.internationalarchivesent.org/conteudo/acervo_eng.asp?id=383
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION

Tinnitus is an endogenous sonorous sensation, or rather, it is any sound perceived by the individual without the existence of an external acoustic stimulation (1,2). Its estimated prevalence ranges from 10% to 17% of the world-wide population (3,4) and attacks about one third of North Americans older than 55 (2). In Brazil, one believes that more than 28 million individuals are patients with tinnitus, which makes it a public health problem.

Despite the recent advances in specific literature, the physiopathology of tinnitus has not been completely elucidated, which makes it a great challenge for the scientific community. However, even with such difficulties, it is of utmost importance to understand the generation, detention and perception cascade of events of tinnitus better, aiming at investigating and controlling the specific causes found in each patient.

The causes of tinnitus are not always eminently otological. In fact, its genesis can be influenced by neurological, metabolic, pharmacologic, vascular, muscular, odontologic and even psychic factors (6-8). Moreover, it is not rare to find the manifestation of one of the causes in the same individual (7).

The myofascial trigger-points (MTPS) are small located hypersensitive areas in palpable tense muscular flanks in the muscle-skeletal that, spontaneously or under mechanical stimulation, initiate local and referred pain in distant or adjacent areas (9).

The MTPS are considered active when their stimulation generates referred pain that reproduces the preexisting painful complaint of the patient (9,10). They are often found in the postural muscles of the cervical region, in the scapular waist, pelvic and masticatory musculature where they cause spontaneous pain or to the movement (9,11). On the other hand, the latent MTPS are located in symptomless areas and they only cause referred and local pain when stimulated (9,11). However, they are less painful to palpation and much more frequently found in the population in general (11).

MTPS are detected in patients with painful myofascial syndrome who usually complain of tinnitus. Our previous experience with patients diagnosed with myofascial pain in parts of the head and neck have given us some reasons to suspect of a possible interaction between the MTPS and tinnitus: the palpation of MTPS caused temporary modulation of tinnitus in some patients and during deactivation treatment of these points there was a reduction and even the disappearance of tinnitus.

So far, literature is quite deficient in relation to the possible influence of the MTPS in the generation or perpetuation of tinnitus. Thus, innumerable questionings still need to be answered.

The objectives of this study were to investigate a possible association between:

1) tinnitus and the presence of MTP;
2) the ear with worse tinnitus and the side of the body searched with larger number of MTPS;
3) the presence of MTP and its capacity to modulate tinnitus.

MATERIAL AND METHODS

This study was approved by the Commission for Analysis of Research Projects of Hospital das Clínicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo (CAPPesq), under the protocol number 774/02, and delineated as a case-control study.

1. Group of cases (G1)

There was the inclusion of 94 patients with complaint of constant tinnitus (uni or bilateral), for at least three months, of any gender, race or age range and who had been consecutively taken care by the Research Group on Tinnitus of the Division of ENT Clinic of the HCFMUSP. The data collection of the sample happened between the months of August of 2002 and August of 2004 and the exclusion criteria involved patients with (1) complaint of pain having involved three or more quadrants of the body, regardless of the cause; (2) infiltration with local anesthetic and/or specific deactivation treatment of the MTPS in the last 6 months; (3) medicine use for the treatment of pain; (4) Impossibility to understand the supplied orientations and/or to give information on the effect of the MTPS palpation in tinnitus; (5) Absence of tinnitus perception at the moment of the evaluation and (6) pulsatile or myoclonic tinnitus.

The selected individuals were submitted to a specific evaluation, by the same researcher, in a quiet environment in order to facilitate the perception of the modulation of tinnitus. Initially patients were questioned about localization of tinnitus (investigating the worse side in the bilateral cases) and the time of complaint.

The evaluation of tinnitus intensity was investigated before and only during the examination of palpation of the MTPS when there was a modulation of the symptom, by means of a numerical scale of which variation ranged from 0 (tinnitus absence) to 10 (the worst imaginable tinnitus). One considered as modulation the increase or immediate decrease of at least one point in the scale and/or change in the type of sound of tinnitus. During evaluation one investigated the presence or not of frequent regional pain for at least three months (chronic pain) in parts of the head, neck and scapular waist, as well as the symptom time, of which localization was registered in a corporal diagram by the individual him/herself.

The diagnosis criteria for the active and latent MTPS were: presence of a flunk of palpable muscular tension with hypersensitive point to palpation along this flunk, as well as a sensitive abnormality or referred pain at distance by the examined and standardized MTP for each muscle. For the active MTPS, this referred pain must correspond to the complaint of preexisting pain of the individual. The hypersensitivity of the MTPS was confirmed by the jump sign demonstrated by the patient, which can be revealed by facial expressions, as grimaces, verbal answers which signal pain or by movement of corporal escape. In this research, the located contracted reply (twitch response) of the MTPS it was not necessary condition for the outcome of the diagnosis. This visible muscular contraction is observed, mainly, during the stimulation with needle in the MTPS (9).

Initially transverse palpation to muscular fibers was performed, in search of the tense band and the hypersensitive nodule. The palpation of the MTPS was performed only once in each muscle, in the same portion, through distal part of the indicating finger or in "clamp" (indicating and thumb). A pressure supported in the MTPS was kept by up to 10 seconds. Nine muscles were researched in bilateral manner in the areas of head, neck scapular waist, in accordance with the described criteria by Travell & Simons (9): infra-spinal (in the two third medial of nasal cavity infra-spinal of the scapula), elevator muscle of scapula (above of the superior angle), superior trapezius, splenius of the head (region of the mastoid process), medium scalene, sternal division of the sternocleidomastoid, posterior digastric, superficial and temporal masseter.

During the digital pressure of the MTPS in each muscle, the following questionings were performed after being detected the palpable muscular tense band and the hypersensitive point: (a) "Do you notice any different sensation in another area of the body beyond the place I am pressuring?" If the answer was "not", the next muscle would be touched. If answer was affirmative and the individual did not present pain complaint, the MTPS would be considered latent. In the cases of presence of pain complaint, the following questions were asked: (b) "Is this sensation accurately the pain complaint you had before?" If answer was "yes", the MTPS was considered active. Finally, for patients who answered "yes" for the questions "A", the examiner would ask the following: (c) "Does tinnitus you feel changed intensity or type of sound?" If the answer was affirmative, the numerical scale from 0 to 10 would be applied for the new intensity and/or the new type of sound would be registered.

2. Group has controlled (G2)

It had been enclosed 94 citizens without tinnitus, paired in gender and age with the group of the cases. The exclusion criteria had been the same ones adopted previously for the other group, except the ones of number 5 and 6. In the initial evaluation they had only been enclosed questions to about the complaints of chronic pain, in the same areas questioned for the previous group. During the examination of palpation of the MTPS, only question "C" was not carried through.

3. Analysis statistics

In the statistical analysis for each parameter had been used the tests of Qui-square, Qui-square of McNemar, Student´s t-test, the Kappa value and the calculation of the reason of odds (RE) with its respective reliable interval (IC 95%). It was admitted level of significance statistics p> 0.05, as recommended for biological tests.

RESULTS

From the 94 citizens evaluated in each group, 55 (58%) were female and 39 (41%) were male (p = 1,00, Qui-square test). In the G1, ages had varied from 29 to 84 years (average = 53 years) and from 29 to 80 years (average = 52,6 years) in the G2 (p = 0,82, Student´s t-test). The time of tinnitus in the G1 varied from 3 months to 40 years (average = 6.0 years) and half of the patients presented the symptom for three years.

The discomfort of tinnitus reported by patients, at the moment of the evaluation, by means of the numerical scale varied from 0 to 10 (right ear: average = 6.7; left ear: average = 7.0) and 49 (52%) patients had presented bilateral tinnitus. From these, 21 (42%) reported feeling greater discomfort to the left. Thirty-one patients with tinnitus (33%) presented chronic complaint of pain in the evaluated areas, with from 6 months to 30 years (average = 4.6 years).

1. Association between tinnitus and MTPS

The MTPS had been detected in at least one muscle in 68 (72.3%) patients from G1 and in only 34 (36.2%) ones from G2. Thus, patients with tinnitus complaint presented greater risk of MTPS (RE = 4.87; CR 95%: from 2.50 to 9.53; p< 0.001 corresponding QUI-squared test).

2. Association between the ear with tinnitus (or ear with worse tinnitus) and the side of the body researched with larger number of MTPS

In G1 it was observed an agreement of laterality of 56.5% (Kappa = 0.29; p< 0.001) between affected ear by tinnitus (or ear with worse tinnitus on bilateral cases) and side of the body evaluated with greater presence of MTPS (Table 1).

3. Modulation of tinnitus by means of compression of MTPS

The modulation of tinnitus during the digital compression of the MTPS occurred in 38 (55.9%) out of 68 from G1. From these, it was observed that a total of 136 MTPS presented capacity of modulate symptom. 30 of them (22.1%) were active and 106 (77.9%) were latent.

The change in the intensity of tinnitus was what more represented the modulation of the symptom by patients. However, the alteration in type of sound also was reported in some cases (Picture 1).

Picture 1 - Distribution of patients from G1 regarding modulation of the intensity and the type of tinnitus sound during the digital compression of the MTPS (n = 38).

The modulation of tinnitus was observed in all the muscles researched during digital pressure of MTPS. However, the main muscle with MTPS that modulated tinnitus was the masseter one, followed by splenius of the head, the sternocleidomastoid and the temporal one (Picture 2).

Picture 2 - Distribution of patients with modulation of tinnitus regarding the localization of the examined MTPS (n = 38). - M1- masseter, M2- splenius of head, M3- sternocleidomastoid, M4- temporal, M5- trapezius, M6- digastric, M7- scalene, M8- elevator muscle of scapula, M9- infra-spinal.

3.2. Characteristics of the patients with modulation of tinnitus

Amongst the 38 patients who modulated tinnitus, 25 (65.7%) were female and 22 (58%) presented bilateral tinnitus. It was also observed that 21 (55.3%) of them complained of pain in the evaluated areas. The age of these patients varied from 34 to 78 (average = 52.2) years and period of tinnitus of these patients varied from 3 months to 33 years (average = 4.9)

Comparing the 38 patients from G1 with MTPS that modulated tinnitus and the 30 patients who did not modulate it, there was no statistical significant difference regarding gender, age or localization of tinnitus. Yet, pain complaint was presented as a strong condition to modular patient. Tinnitus during the palpation supported in MTPS (p = 0.008, Qui-square test).

3.3. Modulation of the ipsilateral and contralateral tinnitus to the examined TPs

From the 136 MTPS that caused modulation of tinnitus, 77.9% was ipsilateral to the ear with tinnitus that modulated and 22.1% were contralateral. But a MTPs located in the sternocleidomastoid muscle modulated a bilateral tinnitus at the same time.

Considering each muscle regarding the agreement between MTPS and tinnitus that modulated, the results show that the six out of nine muscles presented statistical significant responses regarding ipsilaterally (Table 2).

DISCUSSION

There are evidences that the active MTPS and latent associates to the myofascial painful syndrome are common condition in diverse clinical specialties (12,13). The research that was developed in the Group of Research in Tinnitus showed that this ENT symptom also presents one strong association with the presence of MTPS in the areas of head, neck and scapular waist. The surprising prevalence of MTPS in 72.3% from 94 patients with tinnitus became even more considerable when it was observed the possibility of a patient with tinnitus presenting MTPS is almost five times greater than one a symptomless individual, in accordance with the calculation of odds ratio. Eriksson et al. (14) also also report statistical significant difference in relation to the presence of MTPS when comparing individuals with and without tinnitus. Fricton et al. (15) observed that 42.1% of patients with painful myofascial syndrome in the areas of head and neck also complain of tinnitus. This association is also verified in publications that use deactivation of the MTPS, through infiltration with anesthesic, for tinnitus therapy and its consequent improvement (16,17).

An important contribution for the understanding of the physiopathological mechanisms of tinnitus appears with the publication of the neurophysiological model by Pawel Jastreboff in 1990 (18). According to this author, some neuronal systems are involved in the perception of tinnitus clinically important, including peripheral and central hearing pathways and central, with expressive participation of the limbic and independent nervous systems. In other words, the perception of tinnitus can be activated in greater or lesser degree depending on the participation of other structures of the central nervous system not belonging to the hearing pathway.

One of the features of the MTPS is the presence of autonomic reactions related to distance of its place of origin (19), what stresses the similarity with tinnitus by neurophysiological model. According to Estola-Partanen (20), it is possible that tinnitus that improves with the infiltration of the MTPS is also mediated by the independent nervous system, justifying its improvement or annulment when the influence of this system in the hearing pathway is changed. This author also says that the improvement of tinnitus after infiltrations of the MTPS can be justified by the blockade of the pathways that lead tinnitus of the ear up to the hearing cortex, where it is perceived, although infiltration does not to act in the origin of tinnitus.

Another finding which would support the hypothesis of the influence of the MTPS as an etiological or coadjuvant factor of tinnitus is the correlation of laterality of 56.5% (p< 0.001) between the ear with tinnitus (or the ear with worse tinnitus) and the side of the body with more MTPs, especially in symptomless individuals of intensity between the two ears, followed by pain complaint.

In Estola-Partanen (20) it is also possible to observe a statistical significant result (p< 0.0001) regarding the side of body with more muscle tension - related with the presence of MTPS in the cervical muscles and the scapular waist - that is in ipsilateral manner besides tinnitus complaint. Bjorne (21), in 1993, evaluates 39 individuals with tinnitus, from which 29 with unilateral complaint present hypersensitive points in the lateral pterigoyd muscle, what coincides with the side of the ear with tinnitus. Travell (16) and Wyant (17) also report that the MTPS related with tinnitus are located ipsilaterally to the symptom. Hülse (22), in 1994, reports the existence of a connection between the proprioceptive and nociceptive afferents of the cervical area and the cochlear nucleus, what could justify, in the cases of muscular tension, the ipsilateral correlation with tinnitus. Levine (23), in 1999, suggests that somatic stimuli can encourage the ipsilateral cochlear nucleus, generating an exciting neuronal activity in the hearing path ways that result in tinnitus. According to Wright and Ryugo (24), the dorsal medular nucleus, formed by cuneiform and gracile nucleus, occupies a position in the somatosensory system similar to the one of the cochlear nucleus in the hearing system, receiving information straight from the dorsal root that receives information from the proprioceptive, touchable and vibratory receptors of the corporal surface. Thus, the lateral cuneiform nucleus is the arriving point of afferent fibers of the neck, the ear and the suboccipital muscles, that supply information on the position of head and external hearing necessary to the processing of acoustic information (24).

One of the most interesting findings of this research was the development of the modulation of tinnitus in 55.9% of the asymptomatic patients, occurring more frequently in ipsilateral manner in six out of nine evaluated muscles. This phenomenon of tinnitus modulation is mentioned by Levine (23) and Sanchez et al. (25), who used another type of methodology, where patients with and without tinnitus are submitted to isometric contraction maneuvers of muscles of head, neck and member area. In other studies, the modulation of tinnitus also is observed through electric stimulation of the medium nerve and voluntary movements of the ocular deviation (26,27).

Amongst the patients who presented modulation of tinnitus, 65% reported temporary worsening, while others affirmed that there was a reduction or change in the type of sound. These results are also observed by Levine (23) and Sanchez et al. (25). The increase of tinnitus can be explained by the experimental description of a great projection of the cuneiform nucleus over cochlear nucleus, with numerous rich terminations in glutamate, an exciting neurotransmitter (24). In this way, the aberrant neuronal activity in the hearing pathways of the patients with tinnitus can become aggravated by the exciting stimulation of the gracile and cuneiform nucleus over the dorsal cochlear nucleus, what justifies the increase of tinnitus as the most common effect in the patients who present some type of modulation (24).

The presence of chronic pain complaint in the examined areas was the only observed significant feature when compared the group with tinnitus modulation and the group without it. When analyzing the similarities between tinnitus and chronic pain, we observe that both are subjective sensations, they present diverse causes, they can be influenced by the central nervous system and suffer modulation in its intensity or its features along time. Its adequate control depends on a multiprofessional and individualized therapeutical approach. The psychological component that follows it supports the hypothesis that other cerebral areas are not directly responsible for the sensorial perception (limbic and independent systems) also are involved (28). Moreover, the anatomical localization of the neural structures that generate chronic pain and tinnitus differs from the structures to where these symptoms are related (29). Another similarity is that the hearing and somatosensory systems present an efferent fiber net well developed that seems to exercise some type of control over the afferent activity (28). Agreeing with these similarities, Isaacson et al. (30), in 2003, observe that 54.2% of 72 patients with chronic pain also present tinnitus.

The MTPS capable to produce modulation of tinnitus had been identified as active or latent to serve as a guide in clinic exercise and as tool for future therapeutical strategies. Initially it was believed that only the active MTPS would be able to modulate tinnitus due to its degree of activity and its capacity to reproduce previous painful sensation of patient when touched. However, the latent MTPS also modulated tinnitus, suggesting that they are able to cause an excitement and expressive sensitization of the involved structures in the detention and processing of the muscular nociceptive stimulaton; what would produce, during palpation, a zone of reference with intensity and extension enough to modulate tinnitus. Perhaps this occurs especially in the cases in which latent MTPS remain in the individual during lengthening period of time. The works by Travell and Simons (9) and Eriksson et al. (14) do not describe the type of TP that produces tinnitus in an asymptomatic individual or that it modulates tinnitus of a patient from the compression of a MTPS in the sternocleidomastoid muscle, what makes comparison of current study findings difficult.

The muscular localization of the MTPS that modulated tinnitus more frequently is similar to affirmation by Travell (16) and Travell and Simons (9), who relate tinnitus with the presence of MTPS in the masseter muscle, although these authors did not study the phenomenon of modulation. The MTPS located in the muscles of the head and neck produced more modulation of tinnitus than those present in the area of scapular waist, what remind the findings by Levine (23) and Sanchez et al. (25), in which contraction maneuvers of the muscles of head and neck produce more modulation of tinnitus than those performed by the superior and inferior members. These results can be explained by means of the neuroanatomy, where connections between the somatic and hearing pathways in the cephalic level are much richer.

Finally, considering that tinnitus can present more than one cause in a single patient, the possible function that the MTPS and the somatosensory system could develop in the origin or persistence of the tinnitus perception can not be left apart.

CONCLUSIONS

The MTPS were surprisingly common in patients with tinnitus, when compared with a control group, and caused a high rate of temporary modulation of the symptom during its digital palpation. The high agreement of laterality between tinnitus the ear with worse tinnitus and the side of the body examined with larger presence of MTPS fortifies the hypothesis that the somatosensory system can influence the hearing pathway. Future clinical assays that analyze the effect of the treatment of deactivation of the MTPS on tinnitus will be able to strengthen these findings, as well as clarifying if its presence in patients with tinnitus is an etiological and/or coadjuvant factor the symptom.

REFERENCES

1. Jastreboff PJ, Sasaki CT. An animal model of tinnitus: a decade of development. Am J Otol 1994, 15:9-11.

2. Lockwood AH, Salvi RJ, Burkard RF, Galantowicz PJ, Coad ML, Wack DS. Neuroanatomy of tinnitus. Scand Audiol 1999, 28:47-52.

3. McKee GJ, Stephens SDG. An investigation of normally hearing subjects with tinnitus. Audiology 1992, 31:313-17.

4. Attias J, Urbach D, Gold S, Shemesh Z. Auditory event related potencials in chronic tinnitus patients with noise induced hearing loss. Hear Res 1993, 73:106-13.

5. Sanchez TG, Knobel KA, Ferrari GMS, Batezati SC, Bento RF. Grupo de apoio a pessoas com zumbido (GAPZ): metodologia, resultados e propostas futuras. Arq Otorrinolaring 2002, 6:278-84.

6. Moller AR. Pathophysiology of tinnitus. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1984, 93:39-44.

7. Sanchez TG, Levy CPD, Medeiros IRT, Ramalho JRO, Bento, RF. Zumbido em pacientes com audiometria normal: caracterização clínica e repercussões. Rev Bras de Otorrinolaringol 2005, 71:427-31.

8. Camparis CM, Formigoni G, Teixeira MJ, De Siqueira JTT. Clinical evaluation of tinnitus in patients with sleep bruxism: prevalence and characteristics. J Oral Rehabil 2005, 32:808-14.

9. Travell J, Simons DG. Myofascial pain and dysfunction: The trigger point manual, upper half of body. ed 2. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1999.

10. Aronoff GM. Myofascial pain syndrome and fibromyalgia: a critical assessment and alternate view. Clin J Pain 1998, 14:74-8.

11. Bonica JJ. Management of myofascial pain syndrome in general practice. JAMA 1957, 164:732-38.

12. Nielsen AJ. Case study: myofascial pain of the posterior shoulder relieved by spray and stretc. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 1981, 3:21-6.

13. Rubin D. Myofascial trigger point syndromes: an approach to management. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1981, 62:107-14.

14. Eriksson M, Gustafsson S, Axelsson A. Tinnitus and trigger points: a randomized cross-over study. In: Reich GE, Vernon JA (eds): Proceedings of the Fifth International Tinnitus Seminar. Portland; 1995, pp.81-3.

15. Fricton JR, Kroening R, Haley D, Siegert R. Myofascial pain syndrome of the head and neck: a review of clinical characteristics of 164 patients. Oral Surg 1985, 60:615-23.

16. Travell J. Temporomandibular joint pain referred from muscle of the head and neck. J Prosthet Dent 1960, 10:745-63.

17. Wyant GM. Chronic pain syndrome and their treatment II. Trigger points. Canad Anaesth Soc J 1979, 26:216-19.

18. Jastreboff PJ. Phantom auditory perception (tinnitus): mechanisms of generation and perception. Neurosci Res 1990, 8:221-54.

19. Travell J, Bigelow NH. Referred somatic pain does not follow a simple "segmental" pattern. Fed Proc 1946, 5:106.

20. Estola-Partanen M. Muscular tension and tinnitus: an experimental trial of trigger point injections on tinnitus. Tampere, 2000 (Dissertation - University of Tampere).

21. Bjorne A. Tinnitus aereum as an effect of increased tension in the lateral pterygoid muscle. Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surg 1993, 109:969.

22. Hülse M. Cervicogenic hearing loss. HNO 1994, 42:604-13.

23. Levine RA. Somatic modulation appears to be fundamental attribute of tinnitus. In: Hazell JPW (ed.): Proceedings of the Sixth International Tinnitus Seminar. Cambridge; 1999, pp.193-6.

24. Wright DD, Ryugo DK. Mossy fiber projections from the cuneate nucleus to the cochlear nucleus in the rat. J Comp Neurol 1996, 365:159-72.

25. Sanchez TG, Guerra GCY, Lorenzi MC, Brandão AL, Bento RF. The influence of voluntary muscle contractions upon the onset and modulation of tinnitus. Audiol Neurootol 2002, 7:370-5.

26. Moller AR, Moller MB, Yokota M. Some forms of tinnitus may involve the extralemniscal auditory pathway. Laryngolscope 1992, 102:1165-71.

27. Cacace AT. Expanding the biological basis of tinnitus: crossmodal origins and the role of neuroplasticity. Hear Res 2003, 175:112-32.

28. Moller AR. Similarities between chronic pain and tinnitus. Am J Otol 1997, 18:577-85.

29. Moller AR. Similarities between severe tinnitus and chronic pain. J Am Acad Audiol 2000, 11:115-25.

30. Isaacson JE, Moyer MT, Schuler HG, Blackall GF. Clinical associations between tinnitus and chronic pain. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003, 128:706-10.

I will read the article later, but ye I meant spasms but I'm not sure if it's a muscle or its the lymph node. But on the left side it's clear that it has an influence on what I feel within my ear and on the sound. Keep feeling a tingling stinging feeling in my ear and in the jaw/lymph node. And the shoulder lymps also hurt and spasm when i do the stretch.

I don't feel like going to my doctor, she won't listen anyways, even my mom sometimes ignores my stories and comes up with some kind off bs story ;p

I will read the article later, but ye I meant spasms but I'm not sure if it's a muscle or its the lymph node. But on the left side it's clear that it has an influence on what I feel within my ear and on the sound. Keep feeling a tingling stinging feeling in my ear and in the jaw/lymph node. And the shoulder lymps also hurt and spasm when i do the stretch.

I don't feel like going to my doctor, she won't listen anyways, even my mom sometimes ignores my stories and comes up with some kind off bs story ;p

I know exactly what you mean.. Its like those knots refer signals directly into the ear, and other areas of the upper body as well.. But somehow, if those knots are causing me all this, then they have to be deactivated, removed or whatever.. I dont see how those bastards should be able to be a host of so many nasty symptoms, but you never know. Too bad I have like a ton of them!

The triggerpoint u see on the right picture when not starting the video is the one I'm talking about especially. When I just massaged it a little it already gave me like a shock through my ears lol. I'm gonna give up on the chiro and search for a fysio with triggerpoints experience or I'd try Accupuncture first. Not sure yet. :p gotta check my health insurance first lol.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@applewine

Not sure about you Sjtof, if you have had any problems with heart arrhythmias, but I thought this was worth bringing up, as both me and chronicburn have had those for quite some time. And to my surprise, the condition might also include tinnitus, tingling and twitching etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mvp/signs.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitral Valve Prolapse

What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Mitral Valve Prolapse?

Most people who have mitral valve prolapse (MVP) aren't affected by the condition. They don't have any symptoms or major mitral valve backflow.

When MVP does cause signs and symptoms, they may include:
•Palpitations (feelings that your heart is skipping a beat, fluttering, or beating too hard or too fast)
•Shortness of breath
•Cough
•Fatigue (tiredness), dizziness, or anxiety
•Migraine headaches
•Chest discomfort

MVP symptoms can vary from one person to another. They tend to be mild but can worsen over time, mainly when complications occur.

Mitral Valve Prolapse Complications

MVP complications are rare. When present, they're most often caused by the backflow of blood through the mitral valve.

Mitral valve backflow is most common among men and people who have high blood pressure. People who have severe backflow may need valve surgery to prevent complications.

Mitral valve backflow causes blood to flow from the left ventricle back into the left atrium. Blood can even back up from the atrium into the lungs, causing shortness of breath.

The backflow of blood strains the muscles of both the atrium and the ventricle. Over time, the strain can lead to arrhythmias. Backflow also increases the risk of infective endocarditis (IE). IE is an infection of the inner lining of your heart chambers and valves.

Arrhythmias

Arrhythmias are problems with the rate or rhythm of the heartbeat. The most common types of arrhythmias are harmless. Other arrhythmias can be serious or even life threatening, such as ventricular arrhythmias.

If the heart rate is too slow, too fast, or irregular, the heart may not be able to pump enough blood to the body. Lack of blood flow can damage the brain, heart, and other organs.

One troublesome arrhythmia that MVP can cause is atrial fibrillation (AF). In AF, the walls of the atria quiver instead of beating normally. As a result, the atria aren't able to pump blood into the ventricles the way they should.

AF is bothersome but rarely life threatening, unless the atria contract very fast or blood clots form in the atria. Blood clots can occur because some blood "pools" in the atria instead of flowing into the ventricles. If a blood clot breaks off and travels through the bloodstream, it can reach the brain and cause a stroke.

The triggerpoint u see on the right picture when not starting the video is the one I'm talking about especially. When I just massaged it a little it already gave me like a shock through my ears lol. I'm gonna give up on the chiro and search for a fysio with triggerpoints experience or I'd try Accupuncture first. Not sure yet. :p gotta check my health insurance first lol.

I only see a blue screen before I click the "play" button.

Do you have any idea when (time) they show the triggerpoint in the movie?

Yeah, theres definitely something to this point! When I massage it theres like a snapping noise in there, and the click I can hear when opening my mouth seems to originate from this point. It seems very tight and when massaging it, it sends some alien signals directly into my ear. The lymph node there (if it is a lymph node) feels very swollen too..

exactly,

It feels thick and it gives me a burning/tingling/stinging feeling in my ears.

Same thing today, woke up very low T, went to work, T was still pretty low when I went back home. Then at home I was behind my Pc for about half an hour, closed my ears and sound had increased plus I got a burning sensation from that spot on both sides. have had this for a long time though, mayb even from the start. I dunno lol, can be so many things. At work today I met another guy who got T. He got it for 2 months now, but before that he had it only temporary. but it came back when he went on holiday by airplane. his ears hurt pretty bad in the plane. Hopefully i wont have that problem in 2 weeks when I go on holiday.

exactly,

It feels thick and it gives me a burning/tingling/stinging feeling in my ears.

Same thing today, woke up very low T, went to work, T was still pretty low when I went back home. Then at home I was behind my Pc for about half an hour, closed my ears and sound had increased plus I got a burning sensation from that spot on both sides. have had this for a long time though, mayb even from the start. I dunno lol, can be so many things. At work today I met another guy who got T. He got it for 2 months now, but before that he had it only temporary. but it came back when he went on holiday by airplane. his ears hurt pretty bad in the plane. Hopefully i wont have that problem in 2 weeks when I go on holiday.

Yeah, I hope your ears will be ok :) Hollidays are nice :) Im kinda curious if the neck MRI will give me any clues though..

I guess its a good think to keep loosening up some muscles though, as it seems like a lot of tension has been built up.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Mr. Cartman

Some points:

When I was a kid I used to get these weird electric shock sensations in my chest. I went to the doctor and one doctor eventually said she thought I had a mild case of mitral valve prolapse without regurgitation.

I have sometimes felt there was a painful spot on my right neck front which was right behond my pulse. It may be the digastric, but I can't tell. If I pressed there I would feel a good deep ache that felt good. I can't be sure which muscle it is. I also remember digastric being mentioned in tinnitus, TMJ and neck issues among many other muscles.

Dr. Gunn a trigger point researcher in Canada says that TMJ is not a dental problem but a problem with the upper trapezius, splenius capitis, and cervicis, scalenes, and paraspinal muscles.

Also I went to a TMJ doctor / orofacial pain specialist today who is more conservative or grounded in his conclusions and treatments. He said I do not have a TMJ problem. I was not surprised he said this. I clearly have problems with my jaw and weird issues with my bite, but I can chew find and it does not hurt. I think what he meant was my jaw and temple pain was not a TMJ or dental problem in origin. He knows I have facial pain, but seems to suggest or agree that it is more of a muscle problem, one not caused by a TMJ disc dislocation or dental bite. He also mentioned trigger points and I told him how I had been studying trigger points a lot for years now.

He seems to think it is cause by other muscles. I told him I was thinking about the NUCCA upper cervical and he didn't seem to think that was scientific, just like the craniosacral stuff. I think NUCCA is not invasive, so could be given a try. It was just my first visit. Craniosacral seems totally wrong to me in theory, but some practitioners may be doing some things indirectly which are beneficial, but I'm not interested in it. NUCCA is questionable, but I've seem reports of people with results. I don't trust it unless it provides a complete cure, otherwise it is suspect as placebo or difficult to be sure what it is doing if anything.

He prescribed Valium at a low dose to use as a test to see if I had a muscle problem. I think he wants me to take it for 3 weeks and see what happens, but not as a long term therapy. He also suggested a specific physical therapist. If the Valium does anything then he wants me to try physical therapy. I'm wondering if I should just skip the Valium as I'm a little scared of all drugs now.

This doctor also warned against wearing anterior repositioning devices like I did. I told him it seemed to change my bite and I stopped the first time after a month or so. He agreed that was a good idea. I also told him I found the device 4 years later and I tried it a second time 24/7 for 2.5 months and it did nothing, but change my bite more. He said it might not go back all the way.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Mr. Cartman

Some points:

When I was a kid I used to get these weird electric shock sensations in my chest. I went to the doctor and one doctor eventually said she thought I had a mild case of mitral valve prolapse without regurgitation.

I have sometimes felt there was a painful spot on my right neck front which was right behond my pulse. It may be the digastric, but I can't tell. If I pressed there I would feel a good deep ache that felt good. I can't be sure which muscle it is. I also remember digastric being mentioned in tinnitus, TMJ and neck issues among many other muscles.

Dr. Gunn a trigger point researcher in Canada says that TMJ is not a dental problem but a problem with the upper trapezius, splenius capitis, and cervicis, scalenes, and paraspinal muscles.

Also I went to a TMJ doctor / orofacial pain specialist today who is more conservative or grounded in his conclusions and treatments. He said I do not have a TMJ problem. I was not surprised he said this. I clearly have problems with my jaw and weird issues with my bite, but I can chew find and it does not hurt. I think what he meant was my jaw and temple pain was not a TMJ or dental problem in origin. He knows I have facial pain, but seems to suggest or agree that it is more of a muscle problem, one not caused by a TMJ disc dislocation or dental bite. He also mentioned trigger points and I told him how I had been studying trigger points a lot for years now.

He seems to think it is cause by other muscles. I told him I was thinking about the NUCCA upper cervical and he didn't seem to think that was scientific, just like the craniosacral stuff. I think NUCCA is not invasive, so could be given a try. It was just my first visit. Craniosacral seems totally wrong to me in theory, but some practitioners may be doing some things indirectly which are beneficial. NUCCA is questionable, but I've seem reports of people with results. I don't trust it unless it provides a complete cure, otherwise it is suspect as placebo or difficult to be sure what it is doing if anything.

He prescribed Valium at a low dose to use as a test to see if I had a muscle problem. I think he wants me to take it for 3 weeks and see what happens, but not as a long term therapy. He also suggested a specific physical therapist. If the Valium does anything then he wants me to try physical therapy. I'm wondering if I should just skip the Valium as I'm a little scared of all drugs now.

This doctor also warned against wearing anterior repositioning devices like I did. I told him it seemed to change my bite and I stopped the first time after a month or so. He agreed that was a good idea. I also told him I found the device 4 years later and I tried it a second time 24/7 for 2.5 months and it did nothing, but change my bite more. He said it might not go back all the way.

Thanks for all the great info.

I actually do believe that Dr. Gunn could be spot on. What also is very interesting is that my upper trapezius feels pretty darn inflamed. I think that those muscles she is talking about directly affects my jaw muscles, as they are somehow connected, instead of being the other way around.

Im going to have some ultrasound imaging done of my heart just in case, and Ive read that mitral valve prolapse could produce a lot of weird symptoms indeed. But I dont think mitral valve prolapse is the cause of my T though, but you never know.

When I got dry needles in my upper trapezius, it literally felt like the neelde was put into my ear and into my T. It was very weird, it felt like my trapezius, T and my ear were one piece.

Another thing I have noticed is that I elevate my shoulders a lot! I have to stop and think about it every 10th minute in order to release the tension from the muscles elevating my shoulder, and it seems like trapezius is very much involved in this as well. Maybe you catch yourself in doing this as well?

Ive taken diazepam a few times, and I have no bad things to say about them.. They just makes me relaxed.. But I have never used them long term.. Just a few random nights on and off after I got T.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Mr. Cartman

When I had dry needling in my upper trapezius I remember feeling a stinging or some sensations much further up, maybe near my ears or something. I do remember being confused about where the needle was because I couldn't see it and it felt like it was somewhere else.

I had the dry needling done at this practice, but done by Michael most of the time and Dr. Dommerholt once or so.

I've also had dry needling done at another place that didn't seem quite as skilled. Dommerholt (phsysical therapist, not MD) and Dr. Gerwin MD the neurologist used to be in the same office. Gerwin didn't seem to focus on my trigger points much and recomended Lyrica for my paresthesias which I was also concerned with. I get sensations of cold water and burning sensations momentarily all over. I didn't take the Lyrica.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Mr. Cartman

When I had dry needling in my upper trapezius I remember feeling a stinging or some sensations much further up, maybe near my ears or something. I do remember being confused about where the needle was because I couldn't see it and it felt like it was somewhere else.

I had the dry needling done at this practice, but done by Michael most of the time and Dr. Dommerholt once or so.

I've also had dry needling done at another place that didn't seem quite as skilled. Dommerholt (phsysical therapist, not MD) and Dr. Gerwin MD the neurologist used to be in the same office. Gerwin didn't seem to focus on my trigger points much and recomended Lyrica for my paresthesias which I was also concerned with. I get sensations of cold water and burning sensations momentarily all over.

Yeah, seems like trapezius is a master at refering pain and such. I dont entirely understand how the muscles are able to wreck such havoc, but I do believe its possible. Did the dry needles do anything for you? I just felt some pain and electrical stinging, but I cant say it has helped in the long run. I think its really important to pay attention to what muscles we are tensing up. Like if you pay attention to it right now, I would guess its quite a few. At least that is always the case with me.

Anyways, Im scheduled up for MRI of upper part of my back, including the neck, and if there is something to this painful spot we all have between our shoulder blades, maybe this MRI could give some clues about what it is. In addition to that, I will have x-ray done of it as well.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now