Tinnitus Worse After Microsuction?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Mike Xu

Mike Xu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      @Deamon22 Hi, I just had a microsuction done last week on the left ear only and since then both of my ears have been painful/achy for a week now. I also got really bad tinnitus spikes for a few days that seem to have settled. But the pain is still bothering me now a week later. I wanted to ask since you experience something similar, how long did it take for the pain/ache to fade away? Anything I should do or take to help? Thanks for your help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hi, i can‘t exactly remember for how long i had kind of a sore ear canal. At least a few days to a week i think. The ENT was kind of rough with this thing in my ears and pulled out just a tiny bit of wax. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. The T spike luckily faded after a day or so.

I‘m sorry that you had this experience, how long did the procedure take? It is good that your spike already calmed down.

3. Mike Xu

Mike Xu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      It was used for a few seconds then pulled out and in again for about 10 seconds total. The few days following I've gotten really loud spikes that woke me up at night. I've also been getting pretty loud fleeting tinnitus that goes away after a few seconds almost everyday since. What's bothering me more lately is the sore/painful ear on both ears, even the right side that wasn't suctioned. Today is day 8 and I still feel it a little bit, was told to take ibuprofen but I'm afraid that can make the ringing worse.

4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had the same the other month. The ear canal is delicate and has been exposed to ‘trauma’, I was told I might get it and I did. It eventually healed after about 10 days. It’s a form of otitis externa but not infected, just inflamed. Ibuprofen will help.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      You will probably be ok if it was just for such a short time, however maybe in the future do manual cleaning. I had the same sore/painful feeling in my ear canal but it subsided on it's own. I'd say just give your ears a rest and if it doesn't get better maybe have you GP check your ear canal if there is an infection.

6. Mike Xu

Mike Xu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Thanks for replies. Anyone found something useful to mask when sleeping? I've gotten a very high pitched frequency last couple of days that is harder than what I normally use and I don't want to turn the volume up as that may make the ears worse. Been prescribed xanax but trying to avoid depending on that if possible.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I used crickets when i had a spike, altough mine is not very high pitched.

8. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      Yesterday I went to see an ENT because of sudden pulsating tinnitus in my right ear which usually is my better ear. I had impacted earwax in both ears and it explained my pulsating tinnitus because it was pressing against the eardrum.

I asked from the ENT not to use microsuction. She used a syringe (it was really loud too). It did not remove my earwax. She said there is no other options besides removing my earwax with microsuction. So she used BOTH syringe and microsuction, causing even more harm.

The pulsating tinnitus went away in my right ear, but otherwise my now usually quiet tinnitus is really bad now, just like how it was two years ago when it started.

I am furious. Was this the only option?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      You'll see from my bio that I am in this awful state because of microsuction, and microsuction alone, so as you can imagine I have a lot experience and I deep dived in to this.

It is considered a safe practice for almost everyone, but those with pre-existing tinnitus should be particularly cautious, and not enough is known about the real dangers of doing so, even though the odds are small.

You could have opted for just the syringing only, even if it didn't remove all the earwax. I have no idea what the obsession is with wax removal. At the age of 45 I had my ears microsuctioned for the first time, I never had my ears cleaned before this, and suffered no issues from it.

I only had it done because I am hard of hearing (genetically) and thought it may help improve my hearing a little - boy was I wrong.

I should have used earwax drops for longer than I was told to to really soften the earwax, and I find it so strange how anyone can say a machine inside the ear canal at over 100 dB is 'safe.'

You always have choices and options, from not having it done (I have read many pieces of medical advice saying not to touch earwax unless it's a problem) to just having syringing and clearing out as much earwax as you can, even if it's not all of it.

I would never let anyone do microsuction on me ever again. I would rather have and go through the 'complications' of earwax spilling out my ear canal.

I make this comment because if more was known and understood, and I was verbally warned that with pre-existing tinnitus I am more susceptible to being made worse, I would never have had it done, and I would still have a life.

It has been a year and I live with severe reactive tinnitus that keeps me home a lot (I have tried going out many times but I seem to worsen every time).

Hopefully yours, like many, will settle down soon.

But yes, you always have a choice - it's your body.

10. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've had earwax removed by an ENT that used manual tools. It was painful and it took time, but did not increase my tinnitus.

I bet that most ENTs prefer microsution, since time is money, and it is less painful than manual cleaning.

11. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Did you try using ear drops first to see if the earwax would come out of its own accord?

12. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      I had no idea I had earwax when I went to the ENT. Usually I don't have a significant amount of earwax (I have been to hearing tests multiple times and it has been checked out). I have previously every now and then used oil in my ears to remove earwax. And my earwax situation has been fine. I haven't needed to get it removed.

I got sudden pulsating tinnitus, which is why I went to the ENT.

Because of impacted earwax causing the pulsating tinnitus, I let the ENT remove it. I had no idea impacted earwax can cause pulsating tinnitus, but it can. I asked not to use microsuction because of my past hyperacusis and it already made me worse once.

My ears are so messed up at the moment. I am having reactive tinnitus spike (it had got better before), hyperacusis spike (pain), and general tinnitus spike. The annoying e e e e / cricket type of tinnitus is back. I mostly had a more tolerable type of tinnitus before the microsuction, and I am scared I am back to square one with my tinnitus. I had this type of tinnitus after my original acoustic trauma. FFS.

I am just upset why the ENT had to use microsuction. I think the reason why they use microsuction is because time is money. I would have preferred manual removal but did not know about the option.

Ironic is that the pulsating tinnitus went away, but now I am having worse tinnitus overall. I don't trust doctors nowadays. What are they thinking? Like they are treating tinnitus/hyperacusis patients with machines that make 100 dB of sound in their ear canal!

13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear about the increase in your tinnitus @Sointu. It is important impacted wax is removed from the ear, otherwise it can cause a lot of problems: tinnitus, ear infection, earache, vertigo, itchiness etc.

Whether a person has ear irrigation (syringing) or microsuction, it is important that the earwax is thoroughly softened to enable easy removal. Olive oil/ear drops should be applied to each ear 3 times a day, for 10 days, before having the earwax removed. Failure to do this can cause tinnitus in a person that previously didn't have it, or make pre-existing tinnitus worse.

Unfortunately, some health professionals do not advise patients of the correct procedure that must be carried out before having earwax removed.

My tinnitus is variable. It can be mild, moderate, severe or very severe. I have had ear irrigation 3 times and microsuction the same and never had a problem.

The ear irrigation was done by a nurse at my GP practice, I was advised to apply ear drops to each ear 3 times a day for 10 days. Microsuction was done twice by my ENT consultant and the third time by an ENT Registrar. I was advised to apply ear drops 3 times a day for 10 days before having microsuction.

I asked my ENT consultant which method does she recommend for removing impacted earwax. She said microsuction. She went on to say that ear drops should be applied to each ear, in the manner I've explained above. She also said the health professional performing the microsuction or ear irrigation, must do so with care, to minimise any discomfort towards the patient.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      I'm glad to hear that.

However, I would caution you though as plenty on Tinnitus Talk have exacerbated their condition with these particular earwax removal techniques.

Be careful; you may not be so fortunate the next time(s).

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree with you @Jupiterman, however, impacted earwax needs to be removed which is why my GP advised my ENT doctor to remove it by microsuction --- irrigation didn't work. The fact that my tinnitus can be severe, I would only let an ENT doctor use microsuction on my ears, certainly not a walk-in clinic advertised on the Internet.

The text below is an advertisement from a walk-in clinic in my area that performs microsuction. They make the procedure sound so easy and straight-forward. Totally inadequate in my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 1