Vibrating Sensation in Ear Triggered by Certain Sounds?

GOBarbieri

Author
May 31, 2019
Tinnitus Since
05/2019
Cause of Tinnitus
Cold/Flu
Hi everyone,

I've had tinnitus and mild hyperacusis in both ears for almost five years. I've been living my life almost normally with the help of hearing protection.

My left ear hyperacusis has been flaring up lately, although it has stayed manageable. The sound of cutlery and some loud voices mostly make my ears feel uncomfortable, but it's not really painful.

However, a week ago, my brother fooled around and hit my right ear with a pillow (not too hard), and it seems like sound sensitivity has also started for that ear. Aside from this, certain sounds like turning on/off light switches, twisting the cap of sunscreen, plastic cap of bottles, etc. seem to create a vibrating sensation that only lasts until these sounds are over. It's the first time I've experienced these reactive sensations, and they are annoying. They are not clicking or popping/cracking; it's just a sensation I can feel within my ear.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? It's been a tough week for me, as sensitivity has extended to both ears now. I'm feeling a bit lost and unsure about the next steps. Are there any other considerations I should take? I am afraid overprotection will harm me in the long term. I'm sad, given that my right ear was my "fit ear," and now I don't know how to move forward.

Thank you all in advance for any input! Your support means a lot to me.

Yeah, it is Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS). I developed it a month or two after developing tinnitus from an unknown cause three years ago. I don't think it can get any worse than what you describe, but unfortunately, there is not much you can do to fix it other than avoiding the sounds that trigger it.

Mine has stayed unchanged with me all this time (3 years). Still, soon I got used it because I knew what generally triggers it, so it is no problem nowadays in contrast to another more shitty version that I developed one year ago - MEM - which is episodes of spontaneous spasms/twitches/vibrations unrelated to external noise. But that's another story.

Even if it doesn't go well, you will get used to it relatively fast and don't worry much about overprotection because, in my case, it did neither good nor bad. Also, putting in earplugs usually "blocks" the muscles doing the spasm, so you're not getting the sensation.

Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome.
I agree. For most, these sensations will go with time. They're often triggered by sound exposure and hypervigilance around sound, stress, and psychosomatic issues.

Think of it as an eye twitch, just in your ear. And remember, it's not dangerous to experience it. The less you focus on it, the faster it will leave.

That is my personal experience, and I've seen this with many others.

I thought so, too, but the sensation doesn't seem consistent with TTTS symptoms. This is more of a reactive vibration, reacting to specific sound frequencies. Any thoughts?

I thought so, too, but the sensation doesn't seem consistent with TTTS symptoms. This is more of a reactive vibration, reacting to specific sound frequencies. Any thoughts?
Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome.

I have the exact same thing.

You are mixing in with the middle ear myoclonus, which is constant.

I would say it's still related to your muscles in the inner ear acting up, whether you have TTTS or not. You will have to wait it out.

But as said, most people's experiences (including mine) and professionals within the field here say it's often stress-fueled—and many get it through periods of more sound exposure and stress/tension.

There is no quick fix to this, unfortunately.

It sounds like TTTS to me. It's only in one ear at a time for me. I get that sometimes in response to voices, sometimes to typing, and sometimes just spontaneous occasional thumps. It doesn't always happen, and even when I'm having an episode, some sounds don't affect it. I remember listening to a tinnitus masking sampler of different sounds, and TTTS would go nuts with one particular sample but no response on the others. Then another time, none of the samples triggered TTTS. Anxiety doesn't seem to be a factor for me personally. Had it a bit worse yesterday when feeling more relaxed from a benzo.

I am worried that my condition is getting worse. I suffered an acoustic shock four months ago and have been experiencing a constant, strange sensation in my ear—sometimes a wet, cold feeling, along with intermittent aching in my jaw and ear. I also have loudness hyperacusis and distorted voices. Over the past week, I've started experiencing fluttering and dizziness.

I had never experienced fluttering before, but now, when certain women speak, it feels like a rapid twitching or fluttering in my right ear. So far, this hasn't happened in silence or when men speak, but based on posts on Tinnitus Talk, it seems like it could progressively get worse. I'm so tired of dealing with this.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now