2020 US Presidential Election

The Georgia election officials (Republicans) just had a press conference and went line by line and dismantled *every* single one of Trump's fraud claims, and brought receipts:

Watch live: Georgia secretary of state holds press briefing

I love how they even added for good measure at the end "and even Trump's claim that Raffensperger has a brother named Ron is a lie."

You are forgetting you turned 21 can mean two very different things. One is that you are so mature and responsible that it was just an ordinary and forgettable day. The other is that you got blacked out drunk and it's all a blur. I think you probably experienced the former, but I experienced the latter, so no judgement.

Seriously though, you hold down the fort really well on this thread (which you started). Sure, at times this thread is ugly, but what do you expect when Trump and non-Trump supporters are fighting? It's really pretty tame compared to what's out there. I think you set a nice tone for conversation.
I didn't have any alcohol on my 21st birthday lol, though I did get drunk at a Christmas Eve party this year. It really was the former in that it just doesn't really feel any different.

And thank you, I really appreciate that and I also really appreciate your involvement in the thread. When I started this thread I started it in the hopes that the members would have a civil and friendly but at the same time passionate and fiery discussion about American politics and for all of us to learn some things along the way. I would've never imagined it being as big as it is but I'm personally deeply heartened to see so many people here, a place where many have a million concerns with their own health, care so deeply about public policy.

I'm optimistic that we'll be able to continue that fun into the Biden years.

Early 40s. Have never voted GOP but have voted 3rd party. I believe @GlennS is around my age if I'm not mistaken.

You?

While Boomers are conservative, Gen X is split. And Gen X ain't that young anymore (come to think of it, neither are Millennials), even tail end Gen X like me...

Though on the conservative side @Lucifer I think is pretty young--college age.
I'm 51, so Gen X. My family has always been Republican, and how you are raised I think is a big influence. My wife however is Democrat and her parents are Conservative.

The schools and college have a big influence too. My college was Conservative, and my wife went to William and Mary which is more liberal I believe.

I try to keep an open mind, hence my voting for Obama in 2008. I even went door to door for him. Got a few doors slammed in my face. I also went door to door for Romney and had a similar experience. I supported Romney mostly because he wasn't Obama. Obama had me drinking the kool-aid in 2008. By 2012 I realized what a mistake I had made. I was very disappointed.

I have to say that my life has been like Krauthammer said, becoming more conservative as I grow older. I find myself agreeing more and more with my parents now after living life. They are in their early 80s now.

The next month is going to be tumultuous. Hopefully the country at least maintains conditions over the next 4 years. I'm not looking forward to higher taxes, but I think that only happens if the Democrats win both Senate seats.

Curious, I'm guessing most of us graduated or are in college now. What did you major in?

I have a BS in Biology. Then earned Masters in education teaching Chemistry, Biology, and General Science for grades 7 to 12.

I have become more interested in politics as I have aged. Having more free time has contributed to that I think.

GOP win - AJC, just1morething

50/50 - Drachen

Democrats win - Born to Slay, Pulsing Ear, Lucifer, ZugZug, TeeOh

Hey guys, these are the official predictions noted so far. If anyone was missed please say something before tomorrow. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on bragging rights lol.

Curious, I'm guessing most of us graduated or are in college now. What did you major in?

I have a BS in Biology. Then earned Masters in education teaching Chemistry, Biology, and General Science for grades 7 to 12.

I have become more interested in politics as I have aged. Having more free time has contributed to that I think.
That's very interesting, I'm an education major.

@just1morething I know you watch a lot of right wing media. Did any of them happen to mention what time the rally is tonight? I kinda would like to watch it.
I just got home. I see it on Newsmax right now. I don't know when it started. Looks like it was on earlier. Looks like C-SPAN. Trump on in a little while. Looks blurry on C-SPAN.

50/50 - Drachen

Hey guys, these are the official predictions noted so far. If anyone was missed please say something before tomorrow. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on bragging rights lol.
This is going to be good. Are we going to find out the winner on the actual day or would it be like the US Presidential election where we didn't know who the winner was for weeks?

Early 40s. Have never voted GOP but have voted 3rd party. I believe @GlennS is around my age if I'm not mistaken.
I'm 50 and I consider myself center-left but my family has more of a far-left foundation. I am a registered democrat but have been an independent in the past. There are things that really bug me about both extremes on the ideological spectrum but when it comes to formal electoral politics, the right feels like the biggest threat.

I can't speak for all Gen X but I'd like to think we really do straddle the middle of still being able to relate to the tail end of the old world and the dawn of the new. We came of age already witnessing the wreckage of boomers (first wave of divorces, 70s me culture, Watergate) but before helicopter parenting and the full bloom of the mind-numbing effect of the internet. So I'd like to think we have a wide perspective. If most Gen X'ers have skewed towards Trump then I would be ashamed.

Once upon a time, I got a PhD in mathematics and was about to begin my career as a professor. Actually, I graduated 2 weeks before my dumb ass immune system decided to attack my auditory system, rendering me severely and progressively disabled. Now I have a PhD in mood swings, forum shitposting, and human torture.

I went from zero interest in politics to very interested after I saw Trump get involved. However, my interest is definitely more than just him. I now think about stuff like healthcare, which was less interesting to me when I was younger and on my parents' insurance. Of course, I am pretty passionate about disability since I was just denied, even though I have hyperacusis with LDLs in the 20 decibel range and can't function at all.

I'm 51, so Gen X. My family has always been Republican, and how you are raised I think is a big influence. My wife however is Democrat and her parents are Conservative.

The schools and college have a big influence too. My college was Conservative, and my wife went to William and Mary which is more liberal I believe.

I try to keep an open mind, hence my voting for Obama in 2008. I even went door to door for him. Got a few doors slammed in my face. I also went door to door for Romney and had a similar experience. I supported Romney mostly because he wasn't Obama. Obama had me drinking the kool-aid in 2008. By 2012 I realized what a mistake I had made. I was very disappointed.

I have to say that my life has been like Krauthammer said, becoming more conservative as I grow older. I find myself agreeing more and more with my parents now after living life. They are in their early 80s now.

The next month is going to be tumultuous. Hopefully the country at least maintains conditions over the next 4 years. I'm not looking forward to higher taxes, but I think that only happens if the Democrats win both Senate seats.
Help me understand something... why did you make a point of saying Democratic voters were very young and tend to "grow out of it" if a) your wife is a Democrat (unless she's a lot younger than you) and b) you voted Democrats in your late 30s?

But I do agree that life experience really does shape who we are and what we believe. In contrast to you, I have become much more progressive as I got older.

Obama was a disappointment for me, too. Ironically, because he wasn't nearly progressive enough :). What did you like about him?

I think Romney deserves at least some credit for recognizing that Putin was a danger. Democrats laughed at him and said "What is this? The cold war?" when he said Russia was becoming a geopolitical threat in the debates.
He wasn't very good at arguing his point of view, but I do see some of his merits. Mitt's father was a strong supporter of civil rights, too, so I can only assume he was raised with that kind of empathy. I would have a hard time picking between Romney and Biden if those were the choices, truthfully. They are not even all that different.

Re: this thread. I hope that the Trump supporters understand that the feelings people like me have towards Trump are not the feelings we have towards half of America. Personally, I want conservatives to have someone who actually deserves that kind of adulation, not a con artist.

Anyway, if it matters, I studied science in undergrad, too (BS, Zoology with a minor in Geography for some reason). I have a doctorate in vet med as well.

50/50 - Drachen

Put me down, too. I'm going to say Democrats win both now.

The Georgia election officials (Republicans) just had a press conference and went line by line and dismantled *every* single one of Trump's fraud claims, and brought receipts:

Watch live: Georgia secretary of state holds press briefing

I love how they even added for good measure at the end "and even Trump's claim that Raffensperger has a brother named Ron is a lie."
Watch the Georgia Senate hearings. They have people in forensics looking over the evidence. Very credible intelligent people. I'm not sure what's going on with the SOS of Georgia.

Trump just started rally now on Newsmax and OAN.

Trump had a big successful rally. Tomorrow is a big day. The Republicans will have many monitoring the poll places, and the poll workers better let them do their duty of observing from a reasonable distance.

The GA Governor is going to be a one term man.

50/50 - Drachen

Hi @Born To Slay, great job here.
I am impressed by your smarts.

The phone call was clearly propaganda. Trump knew what he was doing, had his lawyers there, and knew it was being recorded. Asking for the 12000 votes and his threats were shameful. His ego is hurting so bad it's going to screw him.

On Georgia. Clearly the Republicans don't want to give up the Senate but the two incumbent candidates are so rich, corrupt and out of touch that they very may well loose. Not interested in bragging rights on this but will go with the underdogs and a Democrat win. Georgia is ripe for change.

I would like to speculate on Trump.
Trump is going to completely sabotage his legacy and the Republican Party if Georgia goes to the Democrats. His brand name will be worthless within a year. Even Pence will turn on him.

If Georgia goes to the Republicans, we'll then Trump will continue flexing for years to come.

This is going to be good. Are we going to find out the winner on the actual day or would it be like the US Presidential election where we didn't know who the winner was for weeks?
We should know within a few days
Trump had a big successful rally. Tomorrow is a big day. The Republicans will have many monitoring the poll places, and the poll workers better let them do their duty of observing from a reasonable distance.

The GA Governor is going to be a one term man.
Did you want to switch your vote to the GOP?

I'm 50 and I consider myself center-left but my family has more of a far-left foundation. I am a registered democrat but have been an independent in the past. There are things that really bug me about both extremes on the ideological spectrum but when it comes to formal electoral politics, the right feels like the biggest threat.

I can't speak for all Gen X but I'd like to think we really do straddle the middle of still being able to relate to the tail end of the old world and the dawn of the new. We came of age already witnessing the wreckage of boomers (first wave of divorces, 70s me culture, Watergate) but before helicopter parenting and the full bloom of the mind-numbing effect of the internet. So I'd like to think we have a wide perspective. If most Gen X'ers have skewed towards Trump then I would be ashamed.
Aw ok. I was a bit off. You are about 8 years older. But I definitely agree with most of your thoughts on Gen X.

Though I think Millennials generally have a good head on their shoulders. There is something really neat about growing up, having your hobbies/interests and getting to learn everything about it in depth without having to find someone to show you. I think there is something about that that makes them more intellectually self reliant and skeptical of authority and I can really appreciate that--maybe because I'm on the Gen X/Millennial cusp.

I don't think the internet itself is the "mind-numbing" part as much as social media, so that probably affects (some) Zoomers more than Millennials. I have this fantasy that some Zoomers will get so sick of that, that they won't raise their kids that way and we will all move away (as a society) from documenting our whole lives online and self segregating into online communities of only like minded people. It will be the very next generation's rebellion maybe.

Watch the Georgia Senate hearings. They have people in forensics looking over the evidence. Very credible intelligent people. I'm not sure what's going on with the SOS of Georgia.

Trump just started rally now on Newsmax and OAN.
Did you watch the clip you replied to? It's a half an hour but they go into detail (with evidence) why each one of the fraud claims is false.

He even mentioned they were kept from the hearings and could not bring their proof. And that Giuliani knows he's misrepresenting facts and they have proof of that too. If you can spare the half an hour, they refute every single claim from the hearing one by one and provide evidence.

53 years old. Raised by patriots who marched with MLK back in the early sixties.
A degree in fine arts and am a huge Obama fan. Best political event in my life time.
Degree in Fine Arts.

We should know within a few days

Did you want to switch your vote to the GOP?
I'm thinking it might be a split. I think Purdue may win. I'm just hoping that there will be much more oversight in this election since it's just one state. Much easier to monitor one state rather than 50 in one day. The Presidential election was like playing whack a mole.

If the Democrats win the Georgia runoffs, then mark my words the other side will claim fraud based on thin air again and this thread will argue about it for months.

The world is going to throw a big party when Donald Trump is gone!
I remember the Trumpets in this thread not so long ago were saying things like your relatives (American citizens) in the US should be kicked out and also bashing your country as a last resort when they couldn't defend Donald The Loser against fair criticism you had of him. Plus them upholding so much arrogance about their lord and saviour Trump winning the election. Looks like you got the last laugh at the end lol.

Not that I'm going to worship Biden like they do with Trump, but it was hilarious seeing Trump lose and seeing his meltdown on Twitter like an insane male Karen.

> Trump loses the election

NINTCHDBPICT000618634227.jpg

It's a half an hour but they go into detail (with evidence) why each one of the fraud claims is false.
Rule #1 of dealing with conspiracy nuts is never debate them point-by-point. It's a matter of FAITH to them. Facts and logic don't matter. Any amount of engagement given simply gives them more credence than they deserve. They should be starved of attention.

Did you watch the clip you replied to? It's a half an hour but they go into detail (with evidence) why each one of the fraud claims is false.

He even mentioned they were kept from the hearings and could not bring their proof. And that Giuliani knows he's misrepresenting facts and they have proof of that too. If you can spare the half an hour, they refute every single claim from the hearing one by one and provide evidence.
It seems odd the SOS representative was kept from the hearings. I suppose more detail will come out in the next couple days. I wonder why the SOS wouldn't even let the plaintiffs look at the ballots? There should be nothing to hide.

The forensic people should be able to look at the ballots. You know how the Democrats hate Trump and would try anything. Time will tell what comes up in the next few days. The Senators and House should be able to conduct an audit. A peaceful audit will not hurt anything and sure is better than distrust and rioting.

Look at what Senator Johnson has to say. We have too much division in the country now not to have an audit. If there was little to no fraud in the election so be it. That should be good news for the Democrats.

I actually meant to say 21 by the way, I just turned and sometimes forget I'm 21 now lol.
@Born To Slay -- That happens when you get old! ;)
I would have a hard time picking between Romney and Biden if those were the choices, truthfully. They are not even all that different.
Romney apparently has Swiss bank accounts, and shell corporations registered in the Cayman Islands. Not sure if the same can be said for Biden, but I doubt it.
Look at what Senator Johnson has to say. We have too much division in the country now not to have an audit. If there was little to no fraud in the election so be it. That should be good news for the Democrats.
Well, haven't there already been audits, and recounts, and signature verifications, and who knows what else? And still the people conned by Trump refuse to believe the system(s) have been tested over and over. What would make you think another "audit" would be any different? In short, it won't.
Trump is going to completely sabotage his legacy and the Republican Party if Georgia goes to the Democrats. His brand name will be worthless within a year. Even Pence will turn on him. -- If Georgia goes to the Republicans, we'll then Trump will continue flexing for years to come.
I think you make one of the most astute (and significant) points on this thread on the Georgia elections. I totally agree that this could very well be a make or break moment for Trump. If his antics end up causing the Republicans to lose two Senate races they should have won, then he will get blamed--and he'll likely be toast. Though he'll go down screaming all the way, eventually he'll only be left with his core diehard followers, which will probably be only be a fraction of what he has now. That may be even worse for his fragile ego than losing the Presidential election--no followers!

It seems odd the SOS representative was kept from the hearings. I suppose more detail will come out in the next couple days. I wonder why the SOS wouldn't even let the plaintiffs look at the ballots? There should be nothing to hide.

The forensic people should be able to look at the ballots. You know how the Democrats hate Trump and would try anything. Time will tell what comes up in the next few days. The Senators and House should be able to conduct an audit. A peaceful audit will not hurt anything and sure is better than distrust and rioting.

Exactly. No harm done looking at it in Congress. What are the Democrats so scared of? They had no issues carrying on with their 4 year witch hunt. Now they can't take some time researching the election to verify that it wasn't won by fraud? 75 million voters have been disenfranchised.

I'd be ashamed if most Gen X'ers skewed toward Obama and Biden.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now