At My Wit's End — Tinnitus from a Combination of Neomycin, Z-Pak and Methylprednisolone

I wish you luck. I also hope it improves because it's just hell.
Thanks Aline. Do you also have a constant weeweewee sort of sound in either ear and also random beeps that don't seem to come from any source at all? Usually late at night and when waking up is when it's most noticeable.

And try to remember a lot of us are in the same boat here even if we all have it slightly different. You, me, Max, Matchbox and many others on here are dealing with reactive tones and distortions so you're not alone. I've thought a lot about giving up but I'm going to give it at least half a year and see how it is then. It's still early in, so let's see where it takes us.

I have no one. Not one person. I asked the people who call themselves my friends. No one. Their excuse: they work, they live too far, they don't like to come to my neighborhood.
Are there no charities that can help you? Local church maybe. If I was in LA I would get you some shopping in.

Hi. Just before this occurred, my 16-year-old cat passed and as I got this, my 17-year-old one got very sick. I had to put her to sleep at the vet's while a dog was barking in the next room and I was crying my eyes out (awful for your ears). My poor girl did not receive the care or attention she needed in her last weeks as I was lost in the horror of my ringing head.

If you cannot care for them, don't blame yourself, you know how sick you are! If they get too far along in ill health, you need to make sure they do not suffer. Don't let them linger. You cannot handle the extra stress. 17 years is a long cat life. If they can be nursed back to health with low cost care, do that as long as you can. If it's more severe, you have to make a choice.

Best wishes!

P.S. I can't stand when people say to me I MUST have friends and family to rely on right now. No, I don't. I had to make new ones quickly to survive the 1st weeks and dealing with my ex who believes I'm making all this up when I'm only trying to live and get some help from him while I try to recover.

A lot of people, men and women, through age, divorce, abuse, social anxiety end up alone in life. It's a fact I can't believe so many people on here are lucky enough to be ignorant of.
I'm so sorry for what you had to go through with your kitties.

Both cats are doing well, even if they are sick. One has hyperthyroid that is well managed with medication. But I have to give her meds every day. The other one has pancreatitis and is well managed with the proper food. The vet says that they can live a few more years, but it is hard for me to manage their needs at this moment.

Yes, like the doctors that say that I have to rely on friends and family for help and comfort. Sure!!! Maybe I can borrow their friends and family. But the hardest is to see that the people I trusted 100 %, even giving them powers of attorney (since I have no family), have also picked a fight with me so that they don't have to lift a finger. And the worst of all, that person also has tinnitus, but since it's a moderate level, she thinks that I'm being a drama queen and making things up. She never had reactive tinnitus, never had hyperacusis and never had dysacusis. That's the problem that we encounter a lot. People that have mild tinnitus saying that we are just making a big deal about nothing.

Are there no charities that can help you? Local church maybe. If I was in LA I would get you some shopping in.
I never was a church goer so I have no clue what to do with churches. I can't spend time on the phone when it is painful to talk on the phone. I can't go physically to those churches or I would be able to get groceries myself. And you probably know that tinnitus is not recognized as a disability unless you are a veteran; therefore, there is no social services to help with that either. Yes, there are the food banks and stuff but I have to get there, and I physically can't when I can't walk without falling. So, I have a few cases of ramen noodles and plenty of water on the tap. When I can find the strength (and believe me that I know how to deal with injuries as I was violently assaulted many years ago and was still able to take care of myself after the hospital—though it took me two years to recover), then I try to go to the nearby store and get a few things. Yet, it is as much as I can carry in a bag on the bus or walking because I don't have a car.

Thank you. I'm sure that you would help.

Hey @Aline Mohymont, I have been reading your thread. How is it going for you now? Did you improve? If so, what helped? Any supplements or diet?
Hey Jackson. Actually, it did not improve. It got worse. The Reactive Tinnitus is unbearable. The Hyperacusis got a bit better, but the Dysacusis pretty well remained the same. The Reactive Tinnitus is eating me alive. I have lost all hope. My tinnitus can get so loud that I can't hear people talking to me sometimes. There is no more enjoyment of life. This condition is so cruel. I wish I could mask it, but those sounds that help others make my Tinnitus worse. Rain, running water, city traffic, microwave, fridge and even the shower makes is worse. So, every day is a struggle.

Hey Jackson. Actually, it did not improve. It got worse. The Reactive Tinnitus is unbearable. The Hyperacusis got a bit better, but the Dysacusis pretty well remained the same. The Reactive Tinnitus is eating me alive. I have lost all hope. My tinnitus can get so loud that I can't hear people talking to me sometimes. There is no more enjoyment of life. This condition is so cruel. I wish I could mask it, but those sounds that help others make my Tinnitus worse. Rain, running water, city traffic, microwave, fridge and even the shower makes is worse. So, every day is a struggle.
Have you tried intermittent fasting or water fasting?

I saw threads of a very severe sufferer here with ototoxic damage, he got better with water fasting. He first tried Intermittent fasting for 6 months, then moved onto to 24 hour and 48 hour fasts. He said he had permanent reduction in his tinnitus and long lasting effects. He actually got bad from another noise exposure but he got better with fasting. I think it helps. Maybe try that! I'm going to give it a try.

Have you tried intermittent fasting or water fasting?

I saw threads of a very severe sufferer here with ototoxic damage, he got better with water fasting. He first tried Intermittent fasting for 6 months, then moved onto to 24 hour and 48 hour fasts. He said he had permanent reduction in his tinnitus and long lasting effects. He actually got bad from another noise exposure but he got better with fasting. I think it helps. Maybe try that! I'm going to give it a try.
I have been on intermittent fasting for years and regular fast for 15 years (when this trend was not fashionable like it is now). If I go on water fast, I risk to lose too much weight and im already thin. I always have been extremely healthy. No alcohol, no medication, no drugs, no smoking.

Also, sound trauma can heal (contrary to what people think) if the trauma is not repetitive. Ototoxic meds destroy your ears in such a weird way that there is no recovery.

Glad to hear that someone got better. It really depends how bad the tinnitus or hyperacusis is. I realize that there are a lot of people who exaggerate things (about how bad their tinnitus is and about their recovery).

I have been on intermittent fasting for years and regular fast for 15 years (when this trend was not fashionable like it is now). If I go on water fast, I risk to lose too much weight and im already thin. I always have been extremely healthy. No alcohol, no medication, no drugs, no smoking.

Also, sound trauma can heal (contrary to what people think) if the trauma is not repetitive. Ototoxic meds destroy your ears in such a weird way that there is no recovery.

Glad to hear that someone got better. It really depends how bad the tinnitus or hyperacusis is. I realize that there are a lot of people who exaggerate things (about how bad their tinnitus is and about their recovery).
Maybe you'll have to wait a year or so to see improvements, people do improve whether it be ototoxic meds or noise trauma. I have talked to a lot of folks with ototoxic damage, some say they get better after 6 months, some took more time. You really just have to figure out what helps and try to build on that.

For me currently, Magnesium seems to be helping with only hyperacusis, not tinnitus, although I do have it bad but I'm kinda coping with it okay at this point. I'm not suicidal but I don't really feel like living with this shit my whole life either. I hear my tinnitus outside, over traffic, over people talking, it reacts to sounds and my whole head vibrates sometimes. But I believe I might become mentally more resilient to it as time passes. I'm also going to look into the Back to Silence by Terry which is discussed in great length on its own thread.

I believe everyone can find some degree of relief. I find a few very strong members here as my inspiration like @GeorgeLG and @fishbone. I hope one day I'll become strong enough to not let it bother me and I can continue my life like before. I also wish that for you too.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now