At My Wit's End — Tinnitus from a Combination of Neomycin, Z-Pak and Methylprednisolone

It's a work in progress. You're going have to take things more slowly, one day at a time. Let the phenomenon of habituation do its thing and be patient for improvements. There's no easy way to answer this, but you'll learn how to navigate with it.
This is something I've been wondering about when it comes to reactive tinnitus. How can you habituate to something when it's always there for a lot of sounds and you can't mask it? The whole habituation thing makes sense for regular tinnitus but I'm having trouble imagining I won't notice this in the future.

Habituation doesn't mean "won't notice it", at least for severe cases. The general consensus is that it "stops bothering you".

It's a luxury that unstable/reactive people cannot have.
I don't know what your reactivity is like, but does it at least lessen over time?

Hearing morse code beeps from near everything with a high frequency (shower, pipe after flushing toilet, fan, computer, etc) is annoying and hard not to pay attention to so I hope it gets a little better.

Habituation doesn't mean "won't notice it", at least for severe cases. The general consensus is that it "stops bothering you".
I consider myself habituated. It still bothers me. I just keep everything to myself now, so from the outside world, it looks like "it stopped bothering me", but nothing's further from the truth, unfortunately.

For me it's about the element of surprise and anxiety. My tinnitus doesn't surprise me anymore, and I don't obsess about it. But it still bothers me a lot.

From what I've seen for most people, the reactivity will eventually ease up at some point. I'm having fluctuating days where the reactivity is not as noticeable. In the beginning that wasn't the case, it was pretty much constant.
My reactivity eventually settled down. I attribute it to sound therapy. From advice from audiologists and people here on this forum, I play pleasing sounds (I chose nature sounds) in whichever room I'm in, all day, all night. I keep the volume such that it excites my reactivity just a bit. I also exposed myself to environmental sounds in small but increasing doses over time--I started with walks around the neighborhood, then short park visits, then short visits to cafes, etc. After 5-6 weeks of this, my reactivity lessened.

Hi Aline,

I have horrendous symptoms and I'm also 1.5 months in and ready to end my life.

Word of caution if your ears are sensitive to sound and using earplugs: I used both high fidelity filter plugs and foam. I think just due to the insertion both spiked my ears. Unfortunately the last spike in one ear has not lowered since yesterday and I fear it's permanent. Just be really careful and gentle with whatever you put in your ears.

I'm unsure what to say accept everyone here says it will get better but mine has only been getting worse like yours. Sleep is also a huge issue after one week of decent sleep. I also lack support (friends/family) and I am trying to set up seeing a therapist. Unsure how I will manage it but I think even just once a week may start something positive going. I encourage you to as well. Not for meds but for talk therapy. Sending love and calm your way.
Yep, same thing. Mine is not getting any better. In fact, it seems that reactivity is getting worse. I could do ok with just the tinnitus, but the reactive one and hyperacusis, no. I don't see any point in life anymore when I'm cooped up all day, all night in my tinnitus bathroom.

How did you get your tinnitus?

This is something I've been wondering about when it comes to reactive tinnitus. How can you habituate to something when it's always there for a lot of sounds and you can't mask it? The whole habituation thing makes sense for regular tinnitus but I'm having trouble imagining I won't notice this in the future.
I'm thinking the same thing. How can you habituate to something that changes all the time in tone, in volume and that competes with any sound? This is maddening.

It's a luxury that unstable/reactive people cannot have.
Then what's the point in life? If I never habituate and if it keeps giving me headaches and I can't even take Tylenol or anything because it makes it worse. What's the point? I might just never leave my tiny bathroom where I found refuge because everywhere else is too loud.

Then what's the point in life? If I never habituate and if it keeps giving me headaches and I can't even take Tylenol or anything because it makes it worse. What's the point? I might just never leave my tiny bathroom where I found refuge because everywhere else is too loud.
Well I got better after a year of isolation and can now work and go to not loud restaurants and meet friends etc. It's not 100% life but it works for me for now. Plus we have XEN1101 to look forward to more or less.
I think George has but yea not common lol.
Well I have more or less. Can do 70% more than what I couldn't do previously. But yeah George is a really great guy and I have massive respect for him, but he doesn't seem to spike permanently from butterfly farts like I used to haha.

Damn I feel like I could have written this too. You mentioning Methylprednisolone as a possible cause is interesting because I also believed it may have played a role in me getting worse. Everything you say is pretty much what I've been dealing with for a year now.

It's a work in progress. You're going have to take things more slowly, one day at a time. Let the phenomenon of habituation do its thing and be patient for improvements. There's no easy way to answer this, but you'll learn how to navigate with it.

The head buzzing for me sounded more like lightsabers from Star Wars. Oddly enough, I was also getting serious migraine attacks (went on Nortriptyline to stop them). The buzzing went away over time.

From what I've seen for most people, the reactivity will eventually ease up at some point. I'm having fluctuating days where the reactivity is not as noticeable. In the beginning that wasn't the case, it was pretty much constant.
Think we both had the lightsabers. They died off for me, seems pretty "coincidence" if not connected to high Prednisone bursts/tapers.

I feel like we have some level of cortisol resistance (my levels come back... quite high), or that the hormone kills off specific neurons under too much stress (it saves some cells and kills others) as shown in the hippocampus (only there is what I could find, not like the DCN) of those with chronic levels of cortisol in plasma.

Think we both had the lightsabers. They died off for me, seems pretty "coincidence" if not connected to high Prednisone bursts/tapers.

I feel like we have some level of cortisol resistance (my levels come back... quite high), or that the hormone kills off specific neurons under too much stress (it saves some cells and kills others) as shown in the hippocampus (only there is what I could find, not like the DCN) of those with chronic levels of cortisol in plasma.
But what does it mean? I was given Methylprednisolone at the same time as the Neomycin and Z-Pak (again for an infection I didn't have). Is it why I have reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis? Am I going to get better?

I keep on losing weight (18 lbs now). My tinnitus is super loud, like a high pitch hiss with modulations and variations and occasional little bursts, on top of being reactive. What does it mean? Does/has anyone experience/d that?

I need reassurance. I cannot live like this.

But what does it mean? I was given Methylprednisolone at the same time as the Neomycin and Z-Pak (again for an infection I didn't have). Is it why I have reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis? Am I going to get better?

I keep on losing weight (18 lbs now). My tinnitus is super loud, like a high pitch hiss with modulations and variations and occasional little bursts, on top of being reactive. What does it mean? Does/has anyone experience/d that?

Quite a few of us have. I had buzzsaw spikes so loud in the beginning I couldn't hear someone talk right in front of me. Mine is still reactive but fortunately I can still live (for now).

I just got off steroids from sudden hearing loss.

The steroids always bring this to a new level of hell that I worry won't go away.

I have and had reactive sounds that drove me to playing with a loaded shotgun on the floor. Pure. Chaos.

But the past rhymes, this died down a lot over the span of months. But it did take months (for me, about 12 the first time).

Some supplements and meds help, but they were always temporary measures, ultimately your best help is time and "modest" noise/silence where real changes occur. You get more used to it, and indeed the volume decreases. This will test patience you didn't know you have.

And it may be difficult to feel grateful, but try... There are people on here far, far worse who will never improve. Perfect health is now not a thing and this helps you re-evaluate life for sure.
I have had severe constant reactive tinnitus for almost 3 years and I fear I'll never get better since most seem to have their reactive tinnitus go away between 1 to 2 years and I'm past that... Sometimes the reactive unmaskable tinnitus is quieter but that's about it. I used sound therapy and have isolated myself but still got reactive tinnitus.

I have had severe constant reactive tinnitus for almost 3 years and I fear I'll never get better since most seem to have their reactive tinnitus go away between 1 to 2 years and I'm past that... Sometimes the reactive unmaskable tinnitus is quieter but that's about it. I used sound therapy and have isolated myself but still got reactive tinnitus.
Yeah, nearing two months in and it's just worse. Earplugs caused a spike that has not gone away in 2 days and I think it's staying. Worst one too of the sounds. My ears are very reactive to everything. I don't think I can take it much longer and the new tone is constant and I can't see myself lasting with it.

3 years is a lot. How do you take care of yourself? I can't wash dishes, laundry etc. The place is a big mess now. No idea how to clean up when I can't wear earplugs and everything spikes me. Trying to figure out a way...

I wish us all sanity and recovery. I feel my mind is quickly going.

I don't think I can take it much longer and the new tone is constant and I can't see myself lasting with it.

I can't wash dishes, laundry etc. The place is a big mess now. No idea how to clean up when I can't wear earplugs and everything spikes me. Trying to figure out a way...

I feel the same. Laundry is piling up. I don't have my own washer/dryer so I must go to the basement with other people. I'm avoiding that. I can do the dishes, but I avoid using a lot of them and still eat with plastic.

Mom losing it, too, because the tinnitus is so loud.

Yeah, nearing two months in and it's just worse. Earplugs caused a spike that has not gone away in 2 days and I think it's staying. Worst one too of the sounds. My ears are very reactive to everything. I don't think I can take it much longer and the new tone is constant and I can't see myself lasting with it.

3 years is a lot. How do you take care of yourself? I can't wash dishes, laundry etc. The place is a big mess now. No idea how to clean up when I can't wear earplugs and everything spikes me. Trying to figure out a way...

For what it's worth: you're irritating your ear canal wearing earplugs. They are not made to be worn all day. If sounds bother you, buy a good pair of earmuffs. Peltors are good. The spike caused by earplugs may be due to the fact you're isolating from sounds, so you're basically feeding your brain with tinnitus.

The thing is, there's no treatment as of today, but experienced tinnitus sufferers know that there are things you DON'T WANT to do when you start having tinnitus and/or hyperacusis for the first time. One of them is feeding your brain with tinnitus sounds. I know your intentions are good and you might believe all sounds will hurt you and make you worse (which is not true), but completely isolating from sounds when you start having tinnitus is exactly what you should not be doing.

I'm not speaking of dangerous or loud sounds, but the sounds that you can hear home are safe. Cutlery, dishes, etc. is realistically not harming your hearing capital whatsoever. These are sounds your ears are made to hear. The spikes you're getting from normal volume sounds are most likely stress related. Your whole brain is focusing on tinnitus right now.

Take a break from this forum, try and have chats with real people, in real life, take walks out, protect your hearing from loud sounds with earmuffs if needed but try and keep a normal life as much as possible. This fight against tinnitus you're starting may be here to stay and realistically, people don't beat tinnitus, they mostly end up accepting it and living with it.

It's usually when you start accepting it's here that your brain calms down and the tinnitus may quiet down a little.

I'm also like this. There is a baseline level of crap I've learned to somewhat live around (not with). Like a fucking annoying parrot you took on that is old and for some reason refuses death.

The reactivity fucking sucks but does seem to improve... but it's not just time. You need to experiment a little to find what helps it out, within reason. HBO for example is ridiculous whereas any new regenerative drugs or even little stints of neurondrugs is not.

With the right combinations I've achieved borderline silence but they don't work forever. So I'm of the camp even long-term sufferers can get better. Although, imo, mine is moreso cochlear tinnitus, not central. I have both but can absolutely tell the difference. if I lose hearing, I get the basic centralized ring and the distortions usually reduce in volume. My sudden hearing loss or loss of blood flow tinnitus is central and totally different from the cochlear hell hole stuff. Cochlear tinnitus is far worse. The noises are satanic. Add to that you can develop pain and hyperacusis.

It takes the better part of a year if you're severe to either get reductions or habituate. And yes, it can absolutely reduce over that time. And many drugs keep working on it too.

Months... I wasn't ready to attempt life in months.

given my experience with the sounds you're hearing...yes you will get better. but seriously...expect a year.
any transitions to hissing tinnitus usually meant for me things were getting better. any hissing I had eventually died off as well as shrill tones.
distortions and garbage from some fucking sci Fi horror show did not but my situation is different.
I only really replied because I too went through steroid tinnitus which sounds like your problem.

Hi Pitseleh. Thank you for the feedback. I for sure have sensitive ear canals and my ears crack with every sound. I don't wear protection in the home save for laundry and vacuum. Unfortunately, I used foam earplugs just to get to the store and back and the high tone has not ceased in one ear since. I could always hear the tone if I used my finger to plug that ear but this irritation caused it to now be 24/7 wall of noise.

What kind of rating protection is good for the Peltor muffs? I have no idea and they go from $20 - $150.

I hope the noise retreats but it's 3 days now and no lowering in tone. A short car ride made horrible into unbearable. Uhh... it got worse for me.

I feel the same. Laundry is piling up. I don't have my own washer/dryer so I must go to the basement with other people. I'm avoiding that. I can do the dishes, but I avoid using a lot of them and still eat with plastic.

Mom losing it, too, because the tinnitus is so loud.
Hi Aline, How are you doing tonight? I hope you get pockets of relief and it's nice to read the comments that the change in tone is sign of healing. Please keep updating here on how you feel, venting, etc. Hope to hear back!

Hi Pitseleh. Thank you for the feedback. I for sure have sensitive ear canals and my ears crack with every sound. I don't wear protection in the home save for laundry and vacuum. Unfortunately, I used foam earplugs just to get to the store and back and the high tone has not ceased in one ear since. I could always hear the tone if I used my finger to plug that ear but this irritation caused it to now be 24/7 wall of noise.

What kind of rating protection is good for the Peltor muffs? I have no idea and they go from $20 - $150.

I hope the noise retreats but it's 3 days now and no lowering in tone. A short car ride made horrible into unbearable. Uhh... it got worse for me.
Ears cracking to sound is most likely TTTS, which is a standard hyperacusis symptom that will fade away with time. I had this symptom in 2009, it lasted for about 6 months, then just faded, along with the hyperacusis. Had a setback in 2017, it didn't last for more than a month.

Recently, I started having quite strong TTTS again, with mild hyperacusis. I've had it for over a month now :) It's definitely annoying, but it will basically go away at some point.

Rating protection for Peltor is up to you. 30 dB is the highest you can get, providing good protection against high frequency sounds.

Three days is nothing in this tinnitus/hyperacusis world. It's usually about months/years :)

Hi Aline, How are you doing tonight? I hope you get pockets of relief and it's nice to read the comments that the change in tone is sign of healing. Please keep updating here on how you feel, venting, etc. Hope to hear back!
I'm not sure it is a sign of relief. It's just the way it is with me. I have crackling and the tinnitus reacts, but it doesn't go down. I'm losing hope. And by the way, I live on my own. So, the "mom losing it, too" comment was meant to say "I'm losing it, too."

Ears cracking to sound is most likely TTTS, which is a standard hyperacusis symptom that will fade away with time. I had this symptom in 2009, it lasted for about 6 months, then just faded, along with the hyperacusis. Had a setback in 2017, it didn't last for more than a month.
My tinnitus reacts to running water, fridge, microwave, city traffic, everything that is buzzing or humming. It is also a sort of hyperacusis. My ears crack and pops too. I have no idea what's going on, and I'm getting desperate. Have you experienced that?

Hi Aline,

Yes, my ears crack with all sound. I have multiple tones and one constant tone that is the worst and hardest to deal with. It just began 4 days ago. It's been almost 2 months now and the sudden swing of getting much worse and not better is ultra tough to take. I fully understand what you are feeling!

My tinnitus reacts to running water, fridge, microwave, city traffic, everything that is buzzing or humming. It is also a sort of hyperacusis. My ears crack and pops too. I have no idea what's going on, and I'm getting desperate. Have you experienced that?
Oh yes I have. Reactive tinnitus + hyperacusis is a pretty standard issue among people with tinnitus, but it's usually a matter of months. Give it a whole year, let your ears do their stuff, it will calm down in time. Just treat your hearing capital with respect though: no concerts, no headphones, no fireworks, no cellphone conversation unless you're using speakers, etc. Basic care.

Reactivity, TTTS and hyperacusis crisis is stuff you have to deal with once your ears start messing up with you. Put it in a different category than the constant tones you may have, whether they are pure tones, hissing, buzzing, etc (centralized or lateralized). It's a different beast and doesn't necessarily follow the same rules.

When it comes to reactivity/TTTS/hyperacusis, pay attention to stress management. It's a must-do. Give your brain something to deal with that is more important than your symptoms. It's really, really important during these times that you treat your body/mind with respect and care.

Hi Aline,

Yes, my ears crack with all sound. I have multiple tones and one constant tone that is the worst and hardest to deal with. It just began 4 days ago. It's been almost 2 months now and the sudden swing of getting much worse and not better is ultra tough to take. I fully understand what you are feeling!
Are you on any medications? It's almost two months for me too. How did you get your T?

Oh yes I have. Reactive tinnitus + hyperacusis is a pretty standard issue among people with tinnitus, but it's usually a matter of months. Give it a whole year, let your ears do their stuff, it will calm down in time.

When it comes to reactivity/TTTS/hyperacusis, pay attention to stress management. It's a must-do. Give your brain something to deal with that is more important than your symptoms. It's really, really important during these times that you treat your body/mind with respect and care.
Does it mean that there is a chance that the reactivity is going to go away? I'm struggling more with that than hyperacusis.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now