Caloric Test

I have been advising you almost from day one when you joined this forum. Take things easy and stop obsessing over tinnitus and hyperacusis. I have had tinnitus many years and know what worrying over it can do. Many people also share my view. If you are not careful, you are going to end up like a few more people in this forum that haven't made improvements with their tinnitus. Unfortunately it is their constant worrying over it and obsessive behaviour that is halting their progress. I am telling you this to try and help you and it's not an attempt to make you feel worse. Try and change your ways.

Michael
Michael how can hyperacusis spread to the right ear? if right ear was ok before. After caloric test I got tinnitus and hyperacusis on the right ear, I am so confused.

Michael how can hyperacusis spread to the right ear? If right ear was ok before. After caloric test I got tinnitus and hyperacusis on the right ear, I am so confused.

@dpdx

My tinnitus has always been bilateral. In both ears and in the middle of my head. When I had hyperacusis it was in both ears too but that has been cured for 19 years. I have no experience with tinnitus or hyperacusis just in one ear then spreading to two.

One thing to consider. The tinnitus and hyperacusis are generated in the brain and it's here the sounds are coming from and not the ears. If you are under the care of a Hearing Therapist it might be best to have a word about your concerns. If possible, leave things as they are and hopefully the hyperacusis will settle down in time. As I have said to you recently. Try and change your ways and stop focusing on tinnitus and hyperacusis because it's possible they will become a long term problem and you won't be able to habituate, like some of the people in this forum, I'm sorry to have to say.

A member sent me a PM yesterday that was in really bad shape in this forum for many months. This person is well known here, and sent me relentless private messages because of the distress tinnitus and hyperacusis was putting this member through. This person was acutely sensitive to the slightest sound and was also paranoid (in my opinion) over tinnitus and hyperacusis. As I said the member is known to most people that frequently come to tinnitus talk.

I am pleased to say this member has made a huge improvement and thanked me for the many times I gave support. Believe me it was a lot. I was concerned about this member because I haven't seen them in the forum for quite a while. I believe this member took my advice and took interest in other things to help takeaway the focus from tinnitus and hyperacusis. At least that is what was told to me. This member was one of the most challenging person's that I've met in a forum other than Marcus whom I wrote about in my post: From darkness into light: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-into-light.22234/

I advise you again to try and stop focusing on your tinnitus and hyperacusis by taking interest in other things. It might be a good idea to talk with a Hearing Therapist and get some counselling.

All the best

Michael

@dpdx

My tinnitus has always been bilateral. In both ears and in the middle of my head. When I had hyperacusis it was in both ears too but that has been cured for 19 years. I have no experience with tinnitus or hyperacusis just in one ear then spreading to two.

One thing to consider. The tinnitus and hyperacusis are generated in the brain and it's here the sounds are coming from and not the ears. If you are under the care of a Hearing Therapist it might be best to have a word about your concerns. If possible, leave things as they are and hopefully the hyperacusis will settle down in time. As I have said to you recently. Try and change your ways and stop focusing on tinnitus and hyperacusis because it's possible they will become a long term problem and you won't be able to habituate, like some of the people in this forum, I'm sorry to have to say.

A member sent me a PM yesterday that was in really bad shape in this forum for many months. This person is well known here, and sent me relentless private messages because of the distress tinnitus and hyperacusis was putting this member through. This person was acutely sensitive to the slightest sound and was also paranoid (in my opinion) over tinnitus and hyperacusis. As I said the member is known to most people that frequently come to tinnitus talk.

I am pleased to say this member has made a huge improvement and thanked me for the many times I gave support. Believe me it was a lot. I was concerned about this member because I haven't seen them in the forum for quite a while. I believe this member took my advice and took interest in other things to help takeaway the focus from tinnitus and hyperacusis. At least that is what was told to me. This member was one of the most challenging person's that I've met in a forum other than Marcus whom I wrote about in my post: From darkness into light: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-into-light.22234/

I advise you again to try and stop focusing on your tinnitus and hyperacusis by taking interest in other things. It might be a good idea to talk with a Hearing Therapist and get some counselling.

All the best

Michael

The ENT wanted me to to do all of these stupid tests. I wish i have left it alone back in October. My Tinnitus was very mild and things were ok. After the caloric test (please look it up, they use a water irrigator to spray water, it huts the ear drum and comes out), things got much worse my tinnitus went up and now its much more intrusive, i got Hyperacusis on both ears, ear popping on both ears (right ear more), ear whoosh sounds like when you run and the air enters your ear). I have caused more damage than good by doing this stupid tests. Docs wanted me to do a thryoid test, aids test, etc but i declined.

The ENT wanted me to to do all of these stupid tests. I wish i have left it alone back in October. My Tinnitus was very mild and things were ok. After the caloric test (please look it up, they use a water irrigator to spray water, it huts the ear drum and comes out), things got much worse my tinnitus went up and now its much more intrusive, i got Hyperacusis on both ears, ear popping on both ears (right ear more), ear whoosh sounds like when you run and the air enters your ear). I have caused more damage than good by doing this stupid tests. Docs wanted me to do a thryoid test, aids test, etc but i declined.

You have try and move on and hopefully you will start to feel better.
All the best
Michael

So I did the caloric test where they test your balance, since the ear controls the balance. I advise people not to do this as it made me have hyperacusis on both ears and develop tinnitus on the right ear. I also have clicking/popping sounds on both ears, especially the right one and have a whooshing sound (like the eardrums are vibrating) on both. The sound of my own voice vibrates and I am sensitive.

This is the caloric testing, where they insert water in each of your ears to make nystagmus (eye movement).

Well..I am F**ed for good now :(

View attachment 14565
View attachment 14566
If I had known I would have steered you clear. This test is absolute junk. Unreliable and traumatic for patients, a patient had a seizure on during one recently on our support forum. The doctor was on panicking about it.

@dpdx,
I had the tests and went on fine.
Try stay calm and play relaxing music and deep breath.
You seen in a high anxiety state and that alone will spike your tinnitus.
I don't think it was your test and what ever the reason it is now finding what helps you the most to cope better and settle down.
Love glynis

If I had known I would have steered you clear. This test is absolute junk. Unreliable and traumatic for patients, a patient had a seizure on during one recently on our support forum. The doctor was on panicking about it.

Yeah, it made the whole thing much worse. I am still shocked on how water irrigated into the ear can do damage, my right ear is also messed up, and this ear was healthy.
@dpdx,
I had the tests and went on fine.
Try stay calm and play relaxing music and deep breath.
You seen in a high anxiety state and that alone will spike your tinnitus.
I don't think it was your test and what ever the reason it is now finding what helps you the most to cope better and settle down.
Love glynis

@glynis did they do the air or water caloric test?

I am 100X worse now. I wish i had never done it. I thought oh how can water inserted into your ear cause damage, well it did.
I dunno, I guess it depends on what caused your tinnitus. I regularly clean out my ears by letting the warm water rush in and out of my ears when I'm in the shower and haven't had any worsening of my tinnitus.

I dunno, I guess it depends on what caused your tinnitus. I regularly clean out my ears by letting the warm water rush in and out of my ears when I'm in the shower and haven't had any worsening of my tinnitus.
It depends what pressure is applied.

I have not yet seen an ENT for the very reasons you describe. I am afraid that tests that will make my ear worse.

I am so sorry this happened to you @dpdx. I hope with time your ears improve. Thank you for warning us.

@dpdx I had both the caloric tests, both with water and with air. I knew of the syringing risk so I asked to do mildly but he was quite lacking the empathy and said that syringing is with pressure. When he sprayed in the water I prayed that my T didn't become louder. I have to tell you, the air caloric test is much louder. It's 30 seconds very close to the eardrum. The water test does put indeed more pressure on your eardrum in my case. Now the water still is trapped in my ear :(

Also, the air warms up the whole ear. While the water only seemed to warm up the outer part of the ear.

@dpdx I had both the caloric tests, both with water and with air. I knew of the syringing risk so I asked to do mildly but he was quite lacking the empathy and said that syringing is with pressure. When he sprayed in the water I prayed that my T didn't become louder. I have to tell you, the air caloric test is much louder. It's 30 seconds very close to the eardrum. The water test does put indeed more pressure on your eardrum in my case. Now the water still is trapped in my ear :(

Also, the air warms up the whole ear. While the water only seemed to warm up the outer part of the ear.

Yeah, I had water trapped in my ear as well for a day or so.

I'm still not fully convinced that caloric testing with the water spray in your ear is safe. That said, testing with the loud air hose is also a lot of noise.
Of course it is not safe, think about it, spraying water into someone's ear. I might have hearing loss from it. It damaged my previous healthy ear.

Did it worsen your tinnitus?

I have been advising you almost from day one when you joined this forum. Take things easy and stop obsessing over tinnitus and hyperacusis. I have had tinnitus many years and know what worrying over it can do. Many people also share my view. If you are not careful, you are going to end up like a few more people in this forum that haven't made improvements with their tinnitus. Unfortunately it is their constant worrying over it and obessive behaviour that is halting their progress. I am telling you this to try and help you and it's not an attempt to make you feel worse. Try and change your ways.

Michael

@Michael Leigh do you think that the caloric test might have caused further cochlea damage and thus exacerbated tinnitus and caused tinnitus/hyperacusis on previously healthy ear.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

@Michael Leigh do you think that the caloric test might have caused further cochlea damage and thus exacerbated tinnitus and caused tinnitus/hyperacusis on previously healthy ear.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

HI @dpdx

You have asked for my opinion on this and it is as follows. A caloric test is performed in the external part of the ear canal and is similar to syringing. I haven't had the test but don't think it has caused you any cochlea damage or exacerbated your tinnitus and hyperacusis. I believe it is stress, fear and negative thinking that has convinced you this test has caused you additional problems that you mention. As I have suggested to you many times. I think you need counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist that is trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis, to help reduce your stress and to have a more positive attitude to life.

The mind is very powerful and it's not too difficult to convince our self of something under the right conditions.

All the best
Michael

HI @dpdx

You have asked for my opinion on this and it is as follows. A caloric test is performed in the external part of the ear canal and is similar to syringing. I haven't had the test but don't think it has caused you any cochlea damage or exacerbated your tinnitus and hyperacusis. I believe it is stress, fear and negative thinking that has convinced you this test has caused you additional problems that you mention. As I have suggested to you many times. I think you need counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist that is trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis, to help reduce your stress and to have a more positive attitude to life.

The mind is very powerful and it's not too difficult to convince our self of something under the right conditions.

All the best
Michael

I had stress and anxiety when my tinnitus was mild and it wasn't exacerbated. I am betting money that syringing test has damaged me further. I hate saying it but caloric test did do additional damage to already damaged ears. You were right I should have not done it, the best thing to do is to leave the ears alone. In my opinion tinnitus sufferers should not do any ear tests (acoustic reflex, vemp, ecog), as it will make things worse.

I had stress and anxiety when my tinnitus was mild and it wasn't exacerbated. I am betting money that syringing test has damaged me further. I hate saying it but caloric test did do additional damage to already damaged ears. You were right I should have not done it, the best thing to do is to leave the ears alone. In my opinion tinnitus sufferers should not do any ear tests (acoustic reflex, vemp, ecog), as it will make things worse.
Indeed, I did warn you to leave your ears alone. Earwax needs to be removed if it will not exit the ears naturally. There are only three methods of doing this which I have explained. If the wax isn't removed then problems will result. I would only follow the advice of my doctor regarding any tests to be performed on my ears. As I said there is an element of risk in every medical procedure. I believe it is incorrect to categorically say ear syringing, (ear irrigation) microsuction and caloric test is dangerous for anyone with or without tinnitus to have.

Michael

Indeed, I did warn you to leave your ears alone. Earwax needs to be removed if it will not exit the ears naturally. There are only three methods of doing this which I have explained. If the wax isn't removed then problems will result. I would only follow the advice of my doctor regarding any tests to be performed on my ears. As I said there is an element of risk in every medical procedure but I believe it is incorrect to categorically say ear syringing, microsuction and caloric test is dangerous for anyone with or without tinnitus to have.

Michael
I think the best thing to do is to leave the ears alone. You also have to know some ENTs are hell bent on getting multiple tests done on the tinnitus sufferer in order to rule out ear diseases. When I first got tinnitus back on Sep 23 it was bad for like two weeks and then it went from moderate to mild to very mild. I would do anything go back to my old tinnitus and symptoms. I was complaining back then when it was barely noticeable. I haven't seen any improvement since Jan 17 after the caloric test. I also keep exposing myself to hazardous sounds (ambulance siren, motorcycles, car muffler, fire alarm), which are not really helping in the healing process. My hearing is also fluctuating on the left ear from deaf to normal.

I think the best thing to do is to leave the ears alone

I do not want to distress you any more than you are already. I hope anyone reading this thread will learn from your experience. I have repeatedly said in this forum and in the posts I write on my "started threads". The best treatment for straight forward tinnitus and hyperacusis, without additional problems such as: deafness, dizziness, pain in the ears, etc. is to leave them alone for at least 4 preferably 6 months. It is for this reason many ENT doctors say to a patients, leave the ears alone if they just have tinnitus without additional symptoms for 6 months. After this time if a person hasn't habituated and the tinnitus is still problematic, a referral to a Hearing Therapist is advised for tinnitus management and treatment.

Michael

I do not want to distress you any more than you are already. I hope anyone reading this thread will learn from your experience. I have repeatedly said in this forum and in the posts I write on my "started threads". The best treatment for straight forward tinnitus and hyperacusis, without additional problems such as: deafness, dizziness, pain in the ears, etc. is to leave them alone for at least 4 preferably 6 months. It is for this reason many ENT doctors say to a patients, leave the ears alone if they just have tinnitus without additional symptoms for 6 months. After this time if a person hasn't habituated and the tinnitus is still problematic, a referral to a Hearing Therapist is advised for tinnitus management and treatment.

Michael
My ENT wanted me to do 15 tests asap, she thought I had a tumor in the brain, cochlear hydrops, Meniere's, etc. People on this forum NEED to listen to your advice. I went from mild tinnitus in October to hyperacusis on both ears, hearing loss, tinnitus on both ears (Moderate-Severe), ear fullness, ear popping, distorted hearing, etc

It's bizarre how in a span of a month (Jan to Feb) I went from normal hearing to hearing loss...

It is sad to know that you are suffering in this way. I have corresponded with you many times on the forum and on PM. I hope in time things improve for you. As I've mentioned before, try and get a referral to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for some counselling as I believe it will help.

Take care and hope you start to feel better soon.
Michael

Of course it is not safe, think about it, spraying water into someone's ear. I might have hearing loss from it. It damaged my previous healthy ear.
Unsure how heavy the pressure is. But make no mistake the test with air isn't given the best results plus it is quite loud too. But there is no alternative to test vestibular organ functioning.

Unsure how heavy the pressure is. But make no mistake the test with air isn't given the best results plus it is quite loud too. But there is no alternative to test vestibular organ functioning.
Did it worsen your tinnitus? or cause further damage?

Hello, I need some advice please from anybody who has had the Vestibluar Tests done.
I'm due the tests, including caloric test next week, and due to fly two days after. It's to determine if I have Ménière's. Does the test make you feel dizzy for long after? Worried about the flight.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now